• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Another Glimpse of (Metroid) Dread

Porcile

In-game cut-scenes are being used to make the switch from cinematic to gameplay instant rather than having load times.

That's a design choice and I think it's suitable for Metroid. The game is intended to be viewed from a zoomed out side-on perspective, so zooming in is probably going to look rough at times.

Marty-McFly

Banned
In-game cut-scenes are being used to make the switch from cinematic to gameplay instant rather than having load times.

That's a design choice and I think it's suitable for Metroid. The game is intended to be viewed from a zoomed out side-on perspective, so zooming in is probably going to look rough at times.
I like the way it looks even better zoomed in

samus-metroid.gif

ZXRaWbw.gif

V7psvZb.gif

Kataploom

Gold Member

samus-metroid.gif

ZXRaWbw.gif

V7psvZb.gif
The problem is that the initial trailer showed nothing like what we saw in the other two that followed and the Treehouse gameplay, I thought it looked rough but after having watcheed all of that I think the game looks pretty

Porcile

Samus' model does look really good. It's the environment aesthetic which are hurting the cut-scene look somewhat. But given we probably won't get a huge amount of close up cut-scenes then it doesn't really bother me.

Marty-McFly

Banned
The problem is that the initial trailer showed nothing like what we saw in the other two that followed and the Treehouse gameplay, I thought it looked rough but after having watcheed all of that I think the game looks pretty
The trailer mostly showed the Emmi sections of the game which are almost completely black and white to make the game feel scarier at those points, so people assumed it had no color, but its use of color and the lighting is actually quite striking in the rest of the game.

Last edited:

tommib

Super excited for this and glad to see I’m not alone at GAF. It’s been a pretty amazing 2021 with Returnal being one of my new favourite games, Quake being rereleased with super deluxe presentation (probably my most played game ever) and Dread looking better and better.

I’m a real happy camper and I’m very satisfied with the sate of the industry. With Dread and Returnal, my thirst for MP4 has disappeared. At least for the rest of the year.

Last edited:

Porcile

My feeling is that the story and Chozo stuff is going to be related to the origins of Samus. Given all her reactions to things in the last two trailers the only reason she would react in this way is if she had some prior knowledge or relationship to it.

tommib

Let’s all stay together guys when Dread comes out at the official OT. It was great fun talking to everyone while playing Returnal for the first time. Would be cool to have you guys around for tips and love.

I hope Nintendo doesn’t shy away from difficulty. I’ve become a bit of a hard game junkie and normally we only get hard mode after beating normal in Metroid games. Was that true for Samus Returns? Never played it.

Last edited:

Neil Young

This is 2 hardwares and 10 years later. This is not an indie studio, this is Nintendo, they have the budget and the resources. That was my whole point.
This is my problem with Nintendo as a whole. They HATE spending money and love taking it from their customers. A wonderful way to run a business, but yay me.

I look at a game like Animal Crossing. Sells over 30 MILLION!! Nintendo basically abandons it when they SHOULD have created a shit ton of content for it...you know...as a thank you to its fans. Nah. Even paid dlc would be awesome. Nah. How about the abysmal online? They have piles of money, they can't spend ANYTHING to improve it or the e shop? Yay sales but when it fails to translate to anything tangible to us, who gives a shit?

Also, many games feel like half a game. Odyssey, while fantastic, felt incomplete. Empty worlds with ridiculous stars. Same for BOTW. I did not enjoy it as I thought it was, once again, empty and filled with lame seeds instead of content.

So anyway, I REALLY hope this game is good. And where is Metroid 4 anyway...switch 2?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Metroid 4 came out in 2002.

Metroid Prime 4 on the other hand will be shown when it's ready and if they decide to port the Metroid Prime games it would be around then which aren't going to sell all that much anyway as opposed to a new mainline entry.

And I have high confidence this will sell pretty well especially with the aid of scalpers sniping the Special editions.

I find it quite hilarious about all the begging for Metroid Prime Trilogy when about half the number won't even buy said Trilogy to begin with. Much less play it.

And the only reason you still clamor for it is off the hearsay of rumors that have circulated for years. Pretty ridiculous IMO.

Porcile

This is my problem with Nintendo as a whole. They HATE spending money and love taking it from their customers. A wonderful way to run a business, but yay me.

I look at a game like Animal Crossing. Sells over 30 MILLION!! Nintendo basically abandons it when they SHOULD have created a shit ton of content for it...you know...as a thank you to its fans. Nah. Even paid dlc would be awesome. Nah. How about the abysmal online? They have piles of money, they can't spend ANYTHING to improve it or the e shop? Yay sales but when it fails to translate to anything tangible to us, who gives a shit?

Also, many games feel like half a game. Odyssey, while fantastic, felt incomplete. Empty worlds with ridiculous stars. Same for BOTW. I did not enjoy it as I thought it was, once again, empty and filled with lame seeds instead of content.

So anyway, I REALLY hope this game is good. And where is Metroid 4 anyway...switch 2?

Metroid 4 is a GBA game, dawg.

Let's face it, you are never going to be satisfied so you might as well not bother. Animal Crossing base game had hours and hours of content. You say Mario Odyssey is fantastic but also incomplete? So which is it, fantastic or not finished? Zelda had enough content you could play without having to collect everything. All these games you give you the option to play as much or as little as you want. What do you want exactly? You want a good games that have infinite amount of designed content?

Last edited:

Ryu Kaiba

The duality of wanting to support Metroid but not Nintendo's half assed efforts. I've decided to pass. Hopefully Prime 4 will make an attempt to impress.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
The duality of wanting to support Metroid but not Nintendo's half assed efforts. I've decided to pass. Hopefully Prime 4 will make an attempt to impress.

I'm still waiting on more media, particularly of gameplay. Playing a Metroid game to largely run away from some robots or else be instant-killed isn't my idea of a good Metroid time, and from what I can scrounge up on the official site and glimpse within these trailers, that's what it appears to be thus far.

Neil Young

Metroid 4 is a GBA game, dawg.
Metroid PRIME 4. Holy shit DAWG!! You KNEW what I meant but chose to be an ass. Dawg? Fucking lame.

You say Mario Odyssey is fantastic but also incomplete? So which is it, fantastic or not finished?
Yes. Very good. I feel It is both fantastic and not finished. Good reading comprehension.... DAWG!

All these games you give you the option to play as much or as little as you want. What do you want exactly? You want a good games that have infinite amount of designed content?
Where the hell did you get "infinite amount of designed content" from what I said? How about a game that doesn't contain obvious, HUGE, amounts of lazy filler content? Again, Odyssey was great, but you didn't notice the huge swaths of empty space in levels and laughable stars Dawg?

Shut0wen

Honestly i cant wait, love how its straight after fusion, makes me think metroid 4 is going to be set straight before this game and after fusion

Porcile

Metroid PRIME 4. Holy shit DAWG!! You KNEW what I meant but chose to be an ass. Dawg? Fucking lame.

Yes. Very good. I feel It is both fantastic and not finished. Good reading comprehension.... DAWG!

Where the hell did you get "infinite amount of designed content" from what I said? How about a game that doesn't contain obvious, HUGE, amounts of lazy filler content? Again, Odyssey was great, but you didn't notice the huge swaths of empty space in levels and laughable stars Dawg?

Bit of an overreaction to the use of "dawg" there, broski.

So far you just have a lot of hyperbole and the classic forum anger towards Nintendo products because they don't match your perception of what a game and value means and yet they continue to sell shitloads, regardless of the fact that you think their games have huge swathes of empty space and are unfinished. If you think Metroid Dread is going to be another case of Nintendo "taking money" from customers, then do the right and thing and don't buy their shit, because the piles of money and the people buying their stuff are not going anywhere. BUY OR BYE, simple as that.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
It’s a different suit. Even at the beginning she’s in a different suit than the Prime games. Those games take place before Metroid 2, this comes after Fusion (4).

daclynk

But i hear it better be good as Super Metroid or else! and its not WORTH $60.
giphy.gif

This game and SMT V IS GOING TO BREAK RECORD IN THEIR SERIES.

daclynk

They should have dedicated a big budget for this. They have the money and the resources to do it properly.
Nintendo sadly only care about mario and zelda. Even Fire Emblem got a nice budget.

Looks indie AF, but it's better than nothing I guess...
Well its doesn't sell that well SO. if this can sell 3mil i see a more ambitious 2D after. PLs buy this GUYS
giphy.gif

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Looks more blocky. As if they had developed it on a PS2, not a Switch.
That's what I meant by Prime Samus looking more round.
Bruh it’s the stylistic choice for her orange suit at the beginning, the blue and white suit isn’t blocky at all. It’s a choice to make it look that way not some graphical limitation

daclynk

Are you really discussing quality here? Have you looked at this shit:

Bloodstained was actually made by an INDIE TEAM, it doesn't run locked 60fps on Xbox one X.
Are you that up there into Nintendo's ass, that you're incapable of seeing the difference of 3DS and switch hardware?

The game lacks textures and when it does have them, it looks like the brown/grey games we got on the PS360 era.
Watch the trailer and see for yourself:

You can count the colors on the screen with ONE HAND.

Seriously dude, get of the "nintendo can do no wrong" horse.
Remember when Halo Infinite looked like shit and everyone complained?

Now you're telling me this looks good, when we know what Nintendo can do?

Look at fucking Ori, it runs on switch and it looks amazing. Does nintendo lack the money to do a proper 2D metroid with Ori like graphics?

1hWc.gif

Everyone knows NIntendo GAMES DONT CARE FOR TEXTURES OR RESOLUTION. If you are looking for that it somewhere else. Go cry somewhere and let us FANS enjoy a new game in a series we have waited for almost 2 decades.
giphy.gif

Asking Nintendo to do triple A 2D Metroid game when its doesn't sell 3million copies, is one of the dumpiest things i have ever heard all week.

Last edited:

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Looks okay but I really wish Nintendo did this in-house. Sure, they’re “collaborating” with Mercury Steam, but that’s just not the same. Mercury Steam to me is only an “meh” studio. I’d think that for the first Metroid game in 15 years Nintendo would put in more effort.

The Skull

Looks okay but I really wish Nintendo did this in-house. Sure, they’re “collaborating” with Mercury Steam, but that’s just not the same. Mercury Steam to me is only an “meh” studio. I’d think that for the first Metroid game in 15 years Nintendo would put in more effort.
Edit: Thought you said they weren't collaborating. MB.

Last edited:

Neil Young

Bit of an overreaction to the use of "dawg" there, broski.

So far you just have a lot of hyperbole and the classic forum anger towards Nintendo products because they don't match your perception of what a game and value means and yet they continue to sell shitloads, regardless of the fact that you think their games have huge swathes of empty space and are unfinished. If you think Metroid Dread is going to be another case of Nintendo "taking money" from customers, then do the right and thing and don't buy their shit, because the piles of money and the people buying their stuff are not going anywhere. BUY OR BYE, simple as that.
You saying "dawg" was lame as fuck and needed to be pointed out for the extreme gay.

I said I hope Dread is good. Also, I'll buy what the fuck I want AND continue to have my own opinion....simple as that. "Do the right thing and don't buy their shit?" "Buy or bye"? Jesus Christ you're giving me douche chills.

I don't pray at the altar of The Church of Nintendo. I have given them thousands of dollars of my money and do not like the current direction of their company. I'm expressing that opinion, on a gaming forum. Buy, bye dawg!!

Calverz

Well, I'd love a Virtual Console too, but for a different reason. Most of my favorite SNES games are from Squaresoft (and Enix, if they'd port the Dragon Quest Super Famicom games). I doubt SquareEnix will ever put those games on the rental service, so our only shot is a VC shop.
Just get retroarch on your Xbox. Problem solved

Calverz

Have you tried it? I'm hesitant to use any of that stuff on my Series X.
Yea man it’s awesome. The retail version was super easy to setup. No need for dev mode etc. I hve feeling the bit may have sailed as think it was pulled from the store. But if you have it u can still use it.
I’m sure another version will come around again. Highly recommend it.

Top Bottom