• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any reason to think Final Fantasy XV won't disappoint?

I disagree. Just because it's action doesn't mean it's good and just because a combat system is fast doesn't mean it's good. Turn based can definitely work as long as the systems and mechanics that support and compliment the actual turn-based combat works well. Look at The Last Remnant. It's an engaging turn-based combat system with a lot of macromanagement. I never thought a game like TLR could exist. There's still a lot of untraveled territory and as long as the combat system remains engaging and cohesive, nothing really dies.

Square needs to put out something so different (that doesn't suck) that people simply forget that XIII ever existed. A new battle mechanic is completely warranted because they themselves destroyed their turn-based reputation irreparably, IMHO.

Stuart444

It seems like every skill will be given to you from the start of the game according to some of the Nomuras comments right?

I'm pretty sure (not got a link on me though) that he said Noctis in the gameplay vid was rather high leveled and therefore has skills that you won't have at the start of the game. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong though).

It's too early to tell if FFXV will disappoint or not, they did say more information will be released in shorter intervals so I guess we'll get a better picture as we see more vids, screenshots and as we get more information on how it plays and what concepts made it into the final game.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Square needs to put out something so different (that doesn't suck) that people simply forget that XIII ever existed. A new battle mechanic is completely warranted because they themselves destroyed their turn-based reputation irreparably, IMHO.

Uh... how so?

LuuKyK

I disagree. Just because it's action doesn't mean it's good and just because a combat system is fast doesn't mean it's good. Turn based can definitely work as long as the systems and mechanics that support and compliment the actual turn-based combat works well. Look at The Last Remnant. It's an engaging turn-based combat system with a lot of macromanagement. I never thought a game like TLR could exist. There's still a lot of untraveled territory and as long as the combat system remains engaging and cohesive, nothing really dies.

I agree with you, though I kind of understand this feeling that it seems like some people have this image of the perfect battle system that is HEAVILY influenced by their nostalgic memories of old games, and that were defintely good back then, but as I keep saying, things change and those same people will never be satisfied with a very different gameplay from that one they were expecting. This resistance to changes is what makes many people be negative towards new entries in the series imo.

I'm pretty sure (not got a link on me though) that he said Noctis in the gameplay vid was rather high leveled and therefore has skills that you won't have at the start of the game. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong though).

It's too early to tell if FFXV will disappoint or not, they did say more information will be released in shorter intervals so I guess we'll get a better picture as we see more vids, screenshots and as we get more information on how it plays and what concepts made it into the final game.

I don't think that's what he meant at all.

Aww, shoot. Misunderstood that then. >_< Sorry.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
It may disappoint but we really need to see the game first. I remain optimistic about it, though I am keeping my expectations in check.

I think moving on to more action oriented gameplay is a natural progression for the franchise. If there is one thing that SquareEnix does right by Final Fantasy it's their combat, turn based or not. You'll sacrifice more strategy elements sure, but that doesn't mean they can't implement a different form of difficulty and strategic design.

On topic:
The only thing that I really argued holding this game back was expectations from its development time and that may still hold true to a degree. It may turn out to be something vastly different to what long timers and new comers are expecting from it. I have little doubt about commercial however, it'll sell on brand alone.

Versus never was a spin-off, is the thing.

Didn't they specifically say when it was Versus, that it was a side gamed cause it's way too different in tone and gameplay? Also hence the Versus name signifying a new direction? Otherwise, it could have very well been FFXIII instead of Toriyama's effort being the mainline one, no?

the battle system in ff has changed so much to this point, the word traditional seems a bit stretched.

Also its called FFXV, best believe if this does well you will be getting more. This isn't a spin off.

The system at least always had some sort of an ATB like bar. (Except for maybe XII?) And I have no doubts SE will push in its direction of it does well, (and I am really hyped for the game). It'll just never be a proper FF in my eyes.

To be frank, I never understood the hype for this game, even back when it was announced as Versus XIII. It just looks like more generic post-FF XII Final Fantasy animu nonsense.

Village

Didn't they specifically say when it was Versus, that it was a side gamed cause it's way too different in tone and gameplay? Also hence the Versus name signifying a new direction? Otherwise, it could have very well been FFXIII instead of Toriyama's effort being the mainline one, no?

The system at least always had some sort of an ATB like bar. (Except for maybe XII?) And I have no doubts SE will push in its direction of it does well, (and I am really hyped for the game). It'll just never be a proper FF in my eyes.

Have fun with that I guess

To be frank, I never understood the hype for this game, even back when it was announced as Versus XIII. It just looks like more generic post-FF XII Final Fantasy animu nonsense.

That would be implying that all FF isnt existential anime nonsense.

A darker FF with a more realistic tone, but still grounded in fantasy. Toss in a supposed huge scope and it's easy to see why people would be excited. (assuming they pull it off)

The entire plot of Final Fantasy 4 is based around an alien invasion and no less than 3 of the dungeons in the game, each of them significant to the plot, are heavily technological areas with mechanical enemies. One of the hardest bosses in the main game is called CPU.
So we go from three dungeons with tech in them to an entire game full of guns, cars and fighter jets and it's supposed to be the same thing?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Versus was originally announced as a 'counterpart' to XIII. Think of it as there being three different ideas to represent what 'Final Fantasy XIII' including Agito. XIII was Toriyama's, Versus was Nomura's and Agito was Tabata's.

Lunar15

The gameplay footage at E3 looked really, really sub par. It was hard to follow, incoherent, and combos did not appear to follow up into each other, unless the person playing wasn't very good.

I don't mind that it's not a turn based RPG, I personally love action games. But this didn't even look like a very good action game, and that just leaves me feeling disappointed. It's early though, and we'll see what comes out, but if KH is the template here (yes, including BBS), this is set to be a sub-par action game. Prove me wrong, SE.

Nerokis

There's reason to be cautious or even pessimistic, but of course there's also reason to be hopeful. The Lightning Saga and FFXIV both tarnished the brand, but surrounding that, there were also a handful of solid games released this generation: The Last Remnant, The World Ends With You, Typo-0, Bravely Default, Theatrhythm, KH: BBS, KH 3D. . . The issue is that almost all of them were for handhelds, and a couple important ones weren't localized.

It remains true that all mainline FF games this gen have ranged from big disappointment to disaster, but the point is that there's still talent at Square. And the talent behind FFXV is encouraging:

Director and Character Design: Tetsuya Nomura
Co-Director: Hajime Tabata
Scenario Writer: Kazushige Nojima
Event Director: Jun Akiyama
Music: Yoko Shimomura

All these people have played key roles in some of my favorite Square experiences. If my basis for caution is XIII and XIV, equally, the track record of the team behind FFXV is reason for optimism.

Stuart444

Versus was originally announced as a 'counterpart' to XIII. Think of it as there being three different ideas to represent what 'Final Fantasy XIII' including Agito. XIII was Toriyama's, Versus was Nomura's and Agito was Tabata's.

Which makes it sad that Agito/Type-0 never really came outside of Japan after it was first announced.

At least Versus (well not XV) will be :D

I personally find it very difficult for this product to turn out in something I won't like.
Everything I've seen so far is appealing to me. The story premises, setting, gameplay type, overall design and music.

I can't very well say this for others though, a couple of my friends are already objecting the fact that it's now action focused, or the real world setting.

In the end it comes down to people's different preferences and tastes.

I find it difficult based on what we've seens and heard so far and based on the people we know are working on it that the game will end up being overall disappointing even to most fans of the genre, like what happened with XIII.

If you read the interviews and replay the games... It doesn't look like this is very different than FF7, 8, 10, and 13 in that you start off in a more tech based location and you will explore more fantastical areas as you progress. The key difference is only that the tech based location is based on the modern world here.
It's funny that you named every FF I didn't care for, save 7. But yeah, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The gameplay footage at E3 looked really, really sub par. It was hard to follow, incoherent, and combos did not appear to follow up into each other, unless the person playing wasn't very good.

I don't mind that it's not a turn based RPG, I personally love action games. But this didn't even look like a very good action game, and that just leaves me feeling disappointed. It's early though, and we'll see what comes out, but if KH is the template here (yes, including BBS), this is set to be a sub-par action game. Prove me wrong, SE.

From this week's Famitsu interview:

There is an emphasis on speed in the battle system and although the player can manage movement, those simply watching may have no idea what’s going on.

Great news. Another thing I really liked in the fighting system is that there seems to be a sense of weight, something that was not there in the old trailer.

iXrU4cOT2zS3q.gif

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Which makes it sad that Agito/Type-0 never really came outside of Japan after it was first announced.

At least Versus (well not XV) will be :D

I know... at this point they should port it to PS3 for an overseas release but they're dragging their feet.

Lunar15

And I believe this. I don't think anyone watching a bayonetta or devil may cry has any idea what's going on either. I doubt it's unplayable. But good? I dunno, I personally have never been a huge fan of the KH "action + menus" style of action gaming. There's always a sense that one is holding back the other.

Once game actually nears release and we get some more hands on impressions, I'll revisit it, for sure. I just don't think there's been anything revealed that looks particularly exciting and the game certainly holds no sentimental nostalgic value, which, while not a bad thing, it's certainly odd to see FF fans go bonkers over it.

I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those games where the combat is going to be a huge question mark for skeptics until they actually have the game in their hands, be it a demo or the full game.

I wouldn't be surprised if the combat starts out pretty close to KH, then spins off into a whole different beast as the characters progress and gain more abilities. The warping alone seems to be it's own beast entirely.

I know... at this point they should port it to PS3 for an overseas release but they're dragging their feet.

Is there any particular reason why they are dragging their feet for a PS3/Vita port (if you don't mind me asking)? I mean, other than the obvious "cost/Vita not doing well".

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Is there any particular reason why they are dragging their feet for a PS3/Vita port (if you don't mind me asking)? I mean, other than the obvious "cost/Vita not doing well".

They experimented with a HD version a while back... but nothing since. They won't even talk about it.

Stuart444

My only guess now is that they think it isn't worth releasing (they waited too long or something).

Besides that, who knows :(

Hedge

PS3? That'd be too good to be true. If it is going to be released here, it's going to be on the Vita, sadly, which means if it is released here I won't be playing it. I bought a PSP for Type-0.

Wasn't there a twitter campaign/whatever where a Sony employee asked which games people would like to see localized?

kingkaiser

I don't know what to think. Some of the battle scenes looked scripted as hell.

The fight against the behemoth like creatures for example.

It seemed that Noctis couldn't touch them by any means.

Until some of the NPCs triggered a move to stun the enemy with a giant sword.

Literally pinning its paw into the ground.

Only now the enemy looked vulnerable...

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
PS3? That'd be too good to be true. If it is going to be released here, it's going to be on the Vita, sadly, which means if it is released here I won't be playing it. I bought a PSP for Type-0.

Wasn't there a twitter campaign/whatever where a Sony employee asked which games people would like to see localized?

PSP -> PS3 is a real thing you know.

There's still time for that, Ps3 should remain a viable platform until mid 2015 for mid-big releases if last gen is anything to go by.
No show at next year's TGS is the breaking point I say.

Of course they could just decide to bring it to Ps4 as an HD release futher down the line, even if I think that there are less chances of that happening due to the higher licensing costs on an active and new platform.

The rules go like this for Sony:

Is it being up-ressed to HD for PS3? Must have a minimum of two games in the package.

Is it being up-ressed and ported to Vita? That's okay.

Why do you think Final Fantasy X|X-2 is packaged together for PS3 but not packaged together for Vita. I would think the easy route to go would be HDfy it for Vita...

Exodist

It's "troubled" development history has been greatly exaggerated. They said it themselves that only after ff type-0 was complete, in late 2011, that did Versus go into full production.

I merely meant about the fact it's been in some form of development (yes, not full) since 2006. It's been in gamers eyes since 2006, so we've been waiting so long, I merely mean by the time it does arrive it won't be quite as good as the hype has been. A lot of people have been waiting and excited for this game since announcement, but I understand some people may only start caring now with the rebrand to XV announcement.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I don't know what to think. Some of the battle scenes looked scripted as.

The fight against the behemoth like creatures for example.

It seemed that Noctis couldn't touch them by any means.

Until some of the NPCs triggered a move to stun the enemy with a giant sword.

Literally pinning its paw into the ground.

Only now the enemy looked vulnerable...

From the same interview:

Party members will assist with attacks – as seen in the trailers. Situational moves will also take place, such as Gladiolus stepping in to protect Noctis, or Prompto warping in to fire on an enemy in his stead. Characters have the ability to free run, not only on the map, but also during encounters. Larger enemies will allow for tactical riding and attacks on targeted areas of the body.

So yes, there are scripted actions.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death

Is it being up-ressed to HD for PS3? Must have a minimum of two games in the package.

Why do you think Final Fantasy X|X-2 is packaged together for PS3 but not packaged together for Vita. I would think the easy route to go would be HDfy it for Vita...

Not true. There are other HD remaster games that released standalone.

Its got more talented people working on it and every single detail we've learned so far sounds promising for the most part if executed well. There is reason to believe it could be executed well because the first thing I mentioned.

So, yes, to answer the OP.

The minimum two games in a single package is just an SCEA and maybe SCEE only rule.
Lots of single packaged PSP HD releases happened in Japan.

That's because all the game's he's been involved in (more than just being a character designer) have been at the very least decent, many of them even great.

Well, Kingdom Hearts 2 is obviously the exception, but yeah, I guess usually his games are decent. Which is no reason to be excited for them.

The minimum two games in a single package is just an SCEA and maybe SCEE only rule.
Lots of single packaged PSP HD releases happened in Japan.

Sorry, should have elaborated that this is a SCEA rule. Thus if they did all that work just to release it in NA it would be pointless because of that rule.

Not true. There are other HD remaster games that released standalone.

Which games would this be that released in NA if you don't mind me asking?

I think people should start to accept that traditional command based battle systems are a niche market these days, and if Final Fantasy wants to stay relevant, an action based battle system is really the way to go. With the power of next gen systems, why would they incorporate a command system that does very little to push the boundaries of the hardware or even the series? I think with XV they're combining the best of what we perceive as Final Fantasy as well as some elements that would appeal to mainstream gamers. Look at all the most popular AAA titles that the appeals to the mainstream, this title is the first Final Fantasy that can fit alongside them in years. I really believe this a step in the right direction for SE.

Possibly. But I don't particularly care if its a step in the right direction for FF/SE. It has absolutely no interest or meaning for me personally, as far as I'm concerned its equivalent to SE ceasing to exist and if its successful there's no potential payoff for me only more stuff I don't care about. So of course I will continue to be disappointed by this direction. That's the way these things go. If SE ceases making things that appeal to me it is only logical that my positive feeling towards it also evaporates.

Like Trails in the Sky I believe, even has a PSP remaster sticker on the front of it from the pics I've seen.

Yes, Trails in the Sky trilogy, Monster Hunter Portable 3rd and Peace Walker were released as a single package in Japan.

A K-On game too if I remember correctly.

Sorry, should have elaborated that this is a SCEA rule. Thus if they did all that work just to release it in NA it would be pointless because of that rule.

Which games would this be that released in NA if you don't mind me asking?

Should have specified :p
If a remaster is happening it will be most likely released in Japan first, then here depending on how it sells there.
I doubt it's going to be done to be released here exclusively.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Singular HD remasters can be released on PSN just fine.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ah! And that's another problem in of itself.

For some reason Square has a problem with releasing games digitally on the PSN Store. Namely Crisis Core and Birth by Sleep.

Supposedly the former is because of DRM encoding or something... I don't know.

Uh... how so?

They've made significant missteps since VII in my opinion, but I accept that others have loved some of the post-VII games. It's all just gotten so much harder to manage the battle system (for me) that it's given me pause every time a new FF game came out post-VII.

Top Bottom