• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else have faith in Perfect Dark Zero?

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
I dunno, but after reading the EGM feature on PDZ, it seems like it will be a really fun game....I like some of the ideas Rare are doing with muliplayer on the game....

They also went out of their way to say the graphics will be much improved when the game ships and while I doubt it will look as good as Gears of War, I think this will turn out to be a flagship worthy game for Microsoft :)

Any one else agree??

Razoric

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
I dunno, but after reading the EGM feature on PDZ, it seems like it will be a really fun game....I like some of the ideas Rare are doing with muliplayer on the game....

They also went out of their way to say the graphics will be much improved when the game ships and while I doubt it will look as good as Gears of War, I think this will turn out to be a flagship worthy game for Microsoft :)

Any one else agree??

I agree... I was pretty bummed about PD0 after the MTV special, but after reading the A-Z EGM article I have faith this will be every bit as good as it was once hyped to be. If all the gameplay elements are in place all thats left is fixing up those graphics... we'll see if everything comes together.

trmas

Banned
Only if it's delayed. I don't think they can finish it in time, and have excellent graphics. I'd like to be proved wrong, though.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Pedigree Chum said:
Yeah, but I don't know whether they can release a polished version up by X360's launch. I hope they can prove me wrong.

They said the game is done and all they have to work on is the graphics

I really like Rare until I played Star Fox adventures. What a shitty game. Ironicly thats around the time Nintendo gave them the boot.

GhaleonEB

Looks from the latest screens that the visuals are turning a corner FAST....and the game design stuff sounds amazing. I'm there.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i'm pretty sure microsoft are gonna make sure this game doesn't suck. or they'll feel stupid for wasting all that money buying rare

still doesn't explain why the game looked like shit initially. yeah i know, the game isn't finished...but why show it prematurely

sly

Banned
Kleegamefan said:
Anyone else have faith in Perfect Dark Zero?

*Looks at PD0 pics, compares them to Gears of War pics*

No. But its better for me in the long run; with lowered expectations I hope I'm pleasantly suprised when the game is finally released.

Timen

just give me 10 minutes of pure gameplay material (either single player or multiplayer, i don't care) and then i'll make up my mind on either this game will rock or not. (and everybody else's mind too i guess)

xexex

Banned
nope. not in the slightest. I expect PDZ to run at between 15 and 25 frames per second on Xbox 360 because of RARE's pathetic lack of programming skillz. and Perfect Dark's heritage of total suckage. it's going to a horriblely flawed release that mirrors its N64 release 5 or 6 years ago. I wish the whole Perfect Dark thing would go away because there is no such thing a good perfect dark game. no I am not even looking forward to it at all.

excuse my mini-rant about Rare and PD. :lol

Any1

I'm just really paranoid about how the single player will turn out. I'm really worried about how MS is pushing the live experience down my throat. I understand that their live service is what their using to differentiate themselves from Sony but i hope they understand that even in the coming gen, the majority of the players will probably only play the single player.

And with me, the single player has always been the main draw of the game with the multiplayer being the added bonus. Now i get the feeling that the mp in alot of the 360 games is to be the core of what the game offers with the sp becoming an afterthought.

Although i love a good mp game as much as the next, but in most of my video games, i'm playing cause i want to be the star (you know, a lone gunman up against impossible odds, etc.. etc...)

But if the game is comperable to Halo 2, then i will have very little to complain about. People love to slam the sp in that game but (besides the horrible ending) it was some of the most fun i've ever had in a video game

Agent Icebeezy said:
They said the game is done and all they have to work on is the graphics

Oh yeah, still upgrading graphics is no joke. Especially if you want them to next-gen quality by X-Mas of this year. If anyone can pull it off its the graphics masters at Rare.

xexex said:
nope. not in the slightest. I expect PDZ to run at between 15 and 25 frames per second on Xbox 360 because of RARE's pathetic lack of programming skillz. and Perfect Dark's heritage of total suckage. it's going to a horriblely flawed release that mirrors its N64 release 5 or 6 years ago. I wish the whole Perfect Dark thing would go away because there is no such thing a good perfect dark game. no I am not even looking forward to it at all.

excuse my mini-rant about Rare and PD. :lol

piggy8xt.gif

Run man! RUN!

Anyways, Rare can make great games both graphically and gameplay-wise. N64 was shit hardware and Rare tried to push it more than anyone, unfortunately the hardware wasn't up to the task. I can easily see them releasing a polished PD0, look at Conker for one, seriously they still got it.

BlueLegs

The fact that this is the company that made Goldeneye gives me hope that they can at least make a good game in the same genre.

Any1

Something i would like to know is how diffiult it is to take a game like PD0 with all the Xbox 1 assets that the game comes with and then transform that into a graphically next gen title. I know that Conker has been updated and it looks amazing but since that came from the N64 it seems they just scrapped all of the original games code and just rebuilt the game from the bottom up on the Xbox.

Granted, i know very little about programming and stuff but i'm assuming that their using alot of the Xbox 1 assets while building it for the 360. But if anyone knows about this stuff please answer a couple of my questions. 1. If the above is not how their doing it could you briefly explain the difference between the Conker update and the PD0 update and 2. Will it be harder for Rare to make PD0 look like a truly next gen game since it was originally an Xbox 1 game instead of it being built originally from the ground up for the 360?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Pedigree Chum said:
piggy8xt.gif

Run man! RUN!

Anyways, Rare can make great games both graphically and gameplay-wise. N64 was shit hardware and Rare tried to push it more than anyone, unfortunately the hardware wasn't up to the task. I can easily see them releasing a polished PD0, look at Conker for one, seriously they still got it.
Give me a break. You're blaming the N64 for rare's shitty framerates, which were the worst out of all N64 games released?

I'm looking at conker, and all I see is a 30 month-in-the-making remake of a game which took about five years to make in the first place.

Banjo Tooie & Donkey Kong 64 were craptacular collect-a-thons.

Conker had clunky controls and a horrible framerate, and did anyone honestly enjoy the stupid escape scene from the vampire's mansion? (after you killed the vampire and turned back into a human)

The fighting was frustrating, the platforming was hindered by somewhat unresponsive controls and a bad perspective (you couldn't tell often times where you were positioned becasue of bad shadows and camera angles.)

The only saving grace I could see it having for any individual was the potty humor, or maybe seeing over-the-top scat jokes everywhere.

Perfect Dark never grabbed me like goldeneye did.

In fact, I didn't really enjoy a rare game after Goldeneye, DKR, and Banjo Kazooie.

Now, let's look at Rare's two games from this generation.

First, we have Grabbed By the Ghoulies, whcih pretty much no one liked.

Then, we have Star Fox Adventures. This game had great control, a good gameplay system, great graphics, amazing sound, and a somewhat good story.

The problem? It just wasn't fun.

Rare can make games that control well, look great, and sound great. But when it comes to making a game fun, it's hit or miss with them, and they've missed for the last 7-8 years.

GhaleonEB

Any1 said:
Something i would like to know is how diffiult it is to take a game like PD0 with all the Xbox 1 assets that the game comes with and then transform that into a graphically next gen title. I know that Conker has been updated and it looks amazing but since that came from the N64 it seems they just scrapped all of the original games code and just rebuilt the game from the bottom up on the Xbox.

Granted, i know very little about programming and stuff but i'm assuming that their using alot of the Xbox 1 assets while building it for the 360. But if anyone knows about this stuff please answer a couple of my questions. 1. If the above is not how their doing it could you briefly explain the difference between the Conker update and the PD0 update and 2. Will it be harder for Rare to make PD0 look like a truly next gen game since it was originally an Xbox 1 game instead of it being built originally from the ground up for the 360?

Seems like a lot of what they are doing is making the textures higher resolution and making the models more detailed. I think the next gen will really be defined by great realtime lighting and interactive environments with amazing physics...stuff that takes a while to build. We'll see how much stuff RARE can cram in.

White Man

Kleegamefan said:

Any one else agree??

No. Rare has always been a middling developer, outside of the crack-like multiplayer in Goldeneye. I think MS thought the fanboy hype that propped Rare into the spotlight would follow them once they were purchased, but in actuality, all that fanboy hype just came from Nintendo fanboys (ie. There never were any Rare fanboys).

Jesus, is that Conker single player demo the antithesis of fun. But it sure is purty.

For another example of Nintendo fanboys propping up a middling (and in this case, "middling is generous" developer, see Silicon Knights.

Mrbob

MS doesn't want to tip their hand to Sony on their most important launch game right now. MS and RARE should have been quiet on this game until they could release better screenshots, though.

blackadde

I still can't quite grasp the Rare love on this board.

SMW > DKC
Super Turbo > Killer Instinct
Quake2/3 and Half-Life > GE (never played PD)

Never got the appeal of Conker. He's is a squirrel who fights a giant turd. Also, there's a plant with tits and a lot of swearing. Who keeps paying their art department?

Am I honestly in the minority with these statements?

olimario

Banned
blackadde said:
I still can't quite grasp the Rare love on this board.

SMW > DKC
Super Turbo > Killer Instinct
Quake2/3 and Half-Life > GE (never played PD)

Never got the appeal of Conker. He's is a squirrel who fights a giant turd. Also, there's a plant with tits and a lot of swearing. Who keeps paying their art department?

Am I honestly in the minority with these statements?

You weren't until you mindlessly broke down Conker the way you did. Super Mario world is just a plumber jumping on stupid turtles and there's a fucking dinosaur.

And GE was superb.

DrLazy

I wouldn't say I have faith, but the article certainly grabbed my attention.

The highlights for me:

The Dark opps mode (ala counterstrike)
evasive action instead of jumping (Rolling and leaning against wall > then bullshit jumping,
the BOTS (yes! Halo what?)
ALL ENEMIES ARE RED (YES YES YES)
the weapon system and secondary functionality

What I'm concerned about:

the single player game
the graphics
Bug testing

Overall even if it doesn't turn out perfect it certainly has some stuff that I hope is added to the genre.

Mrbob

olimario said:
You weren't until you mindlessly broke down Conker the way you did. Super Mario world is just a plumber jumping on stupid turtles and there's a fucking dinosaur.

And GE was superb.

Holy shit. Mark this day down on the calender. One of the first times I totally agree with Olimario! :lol

Anyway, is this EGM with the PD0 article available in stores? I want to read up on the game.

blackadde

olimario said:

And GE was superb.

So, um, what is it about Conker and GE that I don't see.

COCKLES

being watched
Don't expect it to be the best looking 360 game...but the actual game itself will rock. 32 players on live. Yes please.

Rorschach

I don't expect jaw drawping graphics, but hopefully the multiplayer is at least decent. Only 32? I thought it was going to be 50+ :(

Oh well, still have some hope for it, but I don't want to set myself up for disappointment. I thought GE was better than PD0, but they had some good ideas. Hopefully they implement a large variety of bots again. :D

spliced

I have some faith, I'm mostly concerned about the lack of single player info. I know the graphics will be decent enough, I remember SMS had horrible screens before it came out and it looked good(except for the villagers). I don't trust the release date for one second. I'm thinking 2006 at the earliest, I'd love to be wrong though.

Well, according to what I have been told by both the developers of the game and Ken Lobb (in our interview), the single-player is going to be just like everything else in the game -- one step ahead of that of the original Perfect Dark.

~os

jimbo

Banned
Not only do I think it's going to be a real fun game to play, but it's going to look as just as impressive.

I hope it turns out to be fantastic just to shut up the idiots who are always complaining about Rare. It's like a fucking broken record around here. Seriously, just shut the fuck up.

JMPovoa

People are so obsessed with graphics nowadays, they tend to overlook great games. I'm on the same boat as them! :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I think the last Rare games I liked were Snake Rattle N Roll and Battletoads... Rare for me has always been all flash, no substance. Keep in mind I never had an N64 so when Rare was one of the only people putting out games for the system, I didn't notice (was too busy playing all the 3rd party PS1 titles), so I don't have any love for them. (then when I finally gave Goldeneye and Perfect Dark a try, they were already completely obsolete)

othersteve said:
Well, according to what I have been told by both the developers of the game and Ken Lobb (in our interview), the single-player is going to be just like everything else in the game -- one step ahead of that of the original Perfect Dark.

~os

Perfect Dark hasn't aged very well. :/ I hope they're also looking at some other good games in the genre such as HL2 and Riddik. Rare was always good at stealing and refining ideas from other companies. :D

Still, PDZ and Twilight Princess are my most anticipated games this year. I will buy the Xbox 360 at launch if PDZ lives up to expectations.

I'm honestly not impressed with PD0. I even told J Allard that in his face. He turned bright red, bent over, looked as though he was going to rip his hair out, but then realised he didn't have any.

He then said something like "Dude, you're judging an interactive experience based on screenshots and a couple of demo movies? Well that's just UNFAIR!" I didn't have the heart to tell him I was just with the Rare guys about 30 minutes prior and I'd seen the game being played. Truth be told, I wasn't that impressed by it and I actually spent the last few minutes of the demonstration fighting sleep.

He then went on this 10 minute tirade about how it's about the gameplay, not the graphics (ironic, if you ask me), how there's only so much the human brain can process anyway, that we're reaching a plateau with graphics; and that better graphics can't be the only thing this next gen is going to offer. "We're not going to get a billion users with better graphics", he said... that's why they're playing to their other strengths - community, online, connectivity (and then it started to sound like the old sales pitch again).

sly

Banned
ScientificNinja said:
I'm honestly not impressed with PD0. I even told J Allard that in his face. He turned bright red, bent over, looked as though he was going to rip his hair out, but then realised he didn't have any.

:lol :lol :lol

im sure im the only person who is going to say this, but i wouldnt mind it shipping how it looks in the most recent screenshots as long as the game is as fun to play as it sounds in the previews

Rorschach

SHOCKIE said:
Exactly it seems to me that there is loads of hate against any big Xbox game,Forza anyone :lol
There's a lot of Rare love on this board. Sure, most of them happen to be xbots, but it gets tons of love. Practically every big game has tons of hate. You only see it for xbox games because that's your favorite console. Forza got tons of love here, you just focused on a few negative posters because they didn't share the same point of view as you. Now quit adding to the clutter and move on.

Top Bottom