• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event - IPad Pro using tandem OLED

Kuranghi

Was told about this Tandem OLED concept the other day, pretty cool. Tablets are cool and versatile but I never bought one because it would just be another screen to look at in bed, I don't need that.

So is one of the OLED panels sort of acting as a backlight for the other to boost brightness like the dual-layer LCDs from a few years back? Or is it literally a doubling of the same information on both screens to increase brightness of everything?

Shame none of this new panel tech is coming to TVs, the only exciting thing is ever brighter and higher zone count FALD LCDs for the next few years I suspect, which is good when you're mostly selling things like that I suppose but its not very exciting either. Maybe Sony's new backlight controller chip thingie will make a big difference.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
qY8qftl.png

diffusionx

Gold Member
These things are at full portable computer state while still shackled to an OS that doesn't give you the flexibility of a full computer. I am tying this on a Galaxy Tab S8+ which was much cheaper, and while it definitely has issues and is not as good as iPad Pro (I had a 2018 until the battery died), the OS does give you that flexibility. Maybe with the new EU changes it will be better.

midnightAI

My phone is (supposedly) peak 1400 nits and with a plain white screen it is blinding so 1600 will be nuts on a larger display

Last edited:

DanielG165

Now hopefully the iPad will be revealed to have gotten some software upgrades at WDCC. The hardware was never the problem with the iPad; it’s been a monster since the 2018 Pro. It’s simply been hampered by a pretty restrictive iPadOS thus far. If Apple can open that up considerably, then we’ll be in business. The Pros having the M4 chip is still bonkers, though.

Also, as an aside, the “shot on iPhone” bit at the end is just a little humorous to me. They may have “shot” the event on iPhones, but they still used professional color grading, lighting, rigs, and full scale teams to make it all come together and work around the limitations of the phone. The iPhone cameras are good/really good for a phone, but you’re not going to ever up and outperform a cinema camera with it. This to me is really a testament/showcase of Apple’s sheer production capabilities, and less so the phone itself.

tmlDan

the tablet is sick, but i dont have a need for a tablet with a phone.

Aren't their tablet sales down a ton as well as reported in the latest fiscal report?

Last edited:

nikos

They keep getting larger. I just want an iPad Mini with a good display and decent chip. I'd get rid of my Pro for it.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
They keep getting larger. I just want an iPad Mini with a good display and decent chip. I'd get rid of my Pro for it.
The most recent mini (gen 6) is great! You have a pro so it seems like you are familiar with the line, any reason you don't like the current mini?

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Apple pricing is criminal.

Just saw the new iPad air starts at £599.....with 128gb of storage. 128GB? How are they getting away with selling a tablet in 2024 with 128gb of storage?

FingerBang

I have been using an iPad Pro 11" for the last couple of years, and recently, I've been finding I'd like one with a bigger screen, so I'm thinking of upgrading to the 13" M4 one. But man, adding the pen and the keyboard, the cost gets insane—like, higher than a MacBook, insane, and we're talking about the base 128GB one.

I might still sell what I have and move forward without the keyboard, which I don't use much, but Jesus Christ, at the prices there.

So what is the comparison with M3 performance?
You can't compare it because there was no M3 iPad, and comparing it to other M3 products isn't easy because of the thermals.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I don’t want an iPad that’s thinner. My current iPad Pro got bent by about 20 degrees (and somehow didn’t crack) when it was put into my backpack wrong and my laptop leveraged against it. I was able to kind of bend it back, but it still has like a 5 degree bend in it and doesn’t sit flat anymore lol.

iHaunter

I like the specs of the iPad Pro. But a $1k Tablet? That's pretty steep. 1600 nits is a lot though. Battery life is probably amazing being OLED.

These things are at full portable computer state while still shackled to an OS that doesn't give you the flexibility of a full computer. I am tying this on a Galaxy Tab S8+ which was much cheaper, and while it definitely has issues and is not as good as iPad Pro (I had a 2018 until the battery died), the OS does give you that flexibility. Maybe with the new EU changes it will be better.
it costs 100 bucks to replace a battery in a apple store. They replace the whole ipad.

Top Bottom