• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event - IPad Pro using tandem OLED

Schmendrick

Without a doubt

But as soon as Best Buy gets the order button for that M4 big boy Pro, I am smashing that button :)
Eric Cartman Lol GIF by South Park

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Interesting take

They had a big big advantage at first, but scaling upwards from there has limits as much as scaling to mobile level chips from big fat desktop does. They lost a lot of CPU designers over time too.

They are still improving their HW, did a massive GPU redesign last year, but they are more focused on extending (adding more and more resources) to the existing CPU core designs and creating product segmentation (Tim Cook’s hand is in this) than true innovation.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Without a doubt

But as soon as Best Buy gets the order button for that M4 big boy Pro, I am smashing that button :)
Bit sad that the $1200 base 13” model comes with only 8 GB of RAM and 9 CPU cores where only 3 are performance cores… having to go for 4x the storage (of an already expensive tablet) to get 16 GB of RAM and 4 performance cores seems very very odd.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Also what is with the weird Tech-Tuber narrative today. Everyone of them is spouting the same line: "This hardware is amazing in ever way, but why iPadOS?!?" It's really odd, even tubers that never have the same opinion are in line with this on today. I get it...they want the iPad portability without the iPadOS restrictions but this mass media message is odd.

Is Apple planning a 180° in the next few months with a software update to give iPad Pro users the option to switch to MacOS. Feels manufactured AF.

But also...GOTDAMN that Ipad Pro is sexy AF.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Interesting take

Even if the M chips never improve again, it's worth it from Apple's POV because they now control the entire stack instead of being dependent on a shit hole company like Intel.

Also what is with the weird Tech-Tuber narrative today. Everyone of them is spouting the same line: "This hardware is amazing in ever way, but why iPadOS?!?" It's really odd, even tubers that never have the same opinion are in line with this on today. I get it...they want the iPad portability without the iPadOS restrictions but this mass media message is odd.

Is Apple planning a 180° in the next few months with a software update to give iPad Pro users the option to switch to MacOS. Feels manufactured AF.

But also...GOTDAMN that Ipad Pro is sexy AF.
Because it's at the point where these tablets are just incredibly powerful and capable machines, with an OS that can't take advantage of it. Especially with the "pro" label. It's been something people have been saying for years but each time it gets more powerful this becomes more obvious.

Last edited:
The Air 2 was the king for many years. Even up through the fourth gen, the Air 2 was still overall superior. The laminated screen on that thing was absolutely perfect.

You just couldn't resist putting your complete ignorance out there for everyone to see, archived for the rest of our civilization's existence.
Go pay 700 bucks for your Mac Pro Wheels Kit and proceed to ignore me. Thanks.

The cooling solution…

[pic 5.1mm]
I will never understand who thought thin is in any way a feature for any tablet or phone. I fucking hate that it almost on all devices forces them to have the back camera to protrude and also holding these things will never be as comfortable as any old phones with still physical buttons were. 10mm should be the minimum, some surface that does not sort of cut through my hand and fingers, which won't make any trouser pocket or handbag suddenly explode, but allow for better deeper camera lenses, flat backs, not exposed, and bigger batteries or even active cooling.

twilo99

I will never understand who thought thin is in any way a feature for any tablet or phone. I fucking hate that it almost on all devices forces them to have the back camera to protrude and also holding these things will never be as comfortable as any old phones with still physical buttons were. 10mm should be the minimum, some surface that does not sort of cut through my hand and fingers, which won't make any trouser pocket or handbag suddenly explode, but allow for better deeper camera lenses, flat backs, not exposed, and bigger batteries or even active cooling.

Active cooling in a mobile device? That’s like nightmare fuel man..

Otherwise I agree, the obsession with thinness has been a bit too much in the past 10-15 years.

Active cooling in a mobile device? That’s like nightmare fuel man..
The red magic 9 pro already does it. Can't remember if the review I watched some time ago talked much about how confident customers should be in this system surviving hours upon hours and dust accumulating, but I think noise was not bad at all and it helped avoid cpu throttling, did a good job being the gaming phone it is supposed to be, while also competing with other Android flagship stuff.
I guess if high end chips can be cooled in any other way without throttling ever I would also avoid that approach, but heatpipes in super thin cases must have limits too, so if not for creating space for active cooling, make some space for heatpipes. With bendgate or whatever it was/is called, I'd also appreciate thicker cases for that reason.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Absolutely nothing. It's becoming ridiculous that there's no iPad Pro OS aka Mac OS Lite yet.
There really needs to be something. Even if there is just more “iPad pro” applications that allow for a more robust file management and bigger toolset. Things have definitely gotten better though.

rofif

Banned
Dude I don't understand apple an d I dont want to create new topic for this but...
I am Polish, words like (Czarny, czarnych, czarne) (so Black, blacks, is black) are not in the dictionary for the apple keyboard.
Every fucking time I write something like "Hey, Should I get these new black shoes" to me wife, the word black gets replaced with some random bs and I have to go back there and letter by letter type the word.
Like... listen. I maybe ever once seen a black person in Poland. There is no more country more removed from BLM.
Yet this weird censorship also includes Poland?! Can you type "black" without having it autocorrect? Or when I type blm, it auto capitalizes to BLM.
That and all the polish and english curse words are not in dictionary.
And unlike an android phone, Iphone WILL NOT LEARN these words. I had to go to text replacement tab and add all those words.

Then I visit polish apple website and this is what I get.
WHAT IS WITH THESE STUPID COMPANIES. What does a fucking ipad has to do with USA politics... in POLAND

SZSTKJE.png

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Dude I don't understand apple an d I dont want to create new topic for this but...
I am Polish, words like (Czarny, czarnych, czarne) (so Black, blacks, is black) are not in the dictionary for the apple keyboard.
Every fucking time I write something like "Hey, Should I get these new black shoes" to me wife, the word black gets replaced with some random bs and I have to go back there and letter by letter type the word.
Like... listen. I maybe ever once seen a black person in Poland. There is no more country more removed from BLM.
Yet this weird censorship also includes Poland?! Can you type "black" without having it autocorrect? Or when I type blm, it auto capitalizes to BLM.
And unlike an android phone, Iphone WILL NOT LEARN these words. I had to go to text replacement tab and add all those words.

WHAT IS WITH THESE STUPID COMPANIES. What does a fucking ipad has to do with USA politics... in POLAND

SZSTKJE.png
It has nothing to do with race. I can type black on my iPhone, iPad, and iMac with no issue.

Last edited:

RPS37

I‘m so hyped to pick up my new pro this week.
Upgrading from a (2017) 10.5inch IPad Pro.
All I’m mainly using it for is GAF and YouTube.
Hopefully will use it for a little bit of video editing.
i only got a 256GB…..

smbu2000

130 bucks for a stylus?
It’s the same price as the previous Apple Pencil 2. A stylus can be expensive. The Microsoft Surface Pen costs $100.
Just bought the new 11 inch Pro to replace my aging 2020 model. A little disappointed that the base model only features half the RAM and only 3 performance cores.
They’ve been doing that for awhile now, at least with the RAM. The base M1 ipad pro had 8GB of RAM. You needed to buy the 1TB or 2TB model to get 16GB of RAM. Same on the M2 ipad pro models.

Even on the original redesign with the 2018 models. All models came with 4GB of RAM except for the 1TB model which had 6GB of RAM. (All of the 2020 models had 6GB of RAM.)

That‘s one reason why I went for the 1TB model on my M1 11” Pro, to get the extra RAM. (and why I have no reason to upgrade.)

tommib

SZSTKJE.png
I think I’m missing something but where do you see politics in the ad?

Minsc

Gold Member
Does this hit all the check boxes for an overpriced media consumption device I wonder?

OLED Display
Actual, true 4k resolution
Dolby Vision
Magic / raised keyboard stand

Only one I have to read up on is the full 4k resolution, but I'd hope so for the price.

Minsc

Gold Member
What the fuck, the resolution for the bigger one is just "2752-by-2064"...

God damn, what a fucking joke of a tablet. All that money and it can't even play 4k content from streaming services, so you get the shitty 1080p streams.

Easiest pass in my life for this tablet I might have otherwise bought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom