• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Event - IPad Pro using tandem OLED

gamer82

oh well i just got a macbook air m2 and 15 pro so no chance im getting anything soon. just saved myself a fortune lol wow that keyboard price is nutz . apple do love taking the .... as for that pencil you would think they would at least match the ipads in colouring or add some alluminum to give it some style

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Overpriced garbage, as always
Jean Claude Van Damme Ok GIF

DanielG165

Dropping the ultra wide camera sucks .. hopefully it doesn’t happen to the phones
Best believe it won’t, as there wouldn’t be any logical sense for Apple to do so. The ultra wide lens’s use case on iPad is likely extremely niche, whereas on the iPhone it offers actual utility, consistently. When I’m out shooting with just my phone (which is becoming rarer now), I regularly use the ultra wide to take advantage of macro mode for interesting, unorthodox shots.

Apple getting rid of it would negate a large part of the Pro iPhones’ allure for people.

Red5

Hmmm does it say if the new Apple Pencil and its features are exclusive to M4 chips? The new features seem neat and would boost my work flow.

Fredrik

Never owned an iPad product but my wife has been wanting I think the Pro for digital art, is this the one?
They’ve been fantastic for a long time imo, I’ve had 2 iPad Pro already, they’re amazing for art. I nearly ordered a new one again now but it’s $3k where I’m at when combined with Apple Pencil Pro and the 1TB version 🤕

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yea wife will yell at me to get if I used that thing in bed at night when she tries to sleep.

Ah the memories. One could say “At least he married her”, but likely not the same person, not the same thread, and would be too big of a derail ;).

Yes, 1,000 nits on a full brightness white screen is impressive. Most big panel OLED handle half that on a good day.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
2017: "Real-time ray tracing in games and consoles is still decades away.."

2024: "Your iPad now has ray tracing."
For about 5 minutes before it throttles and drains the battery of the $1K tablet hehe.

Still, looking forward to their tech presentation to see if the ray tracing core got further improvements. The M3 GPU seemed to have state of the art RT capabilities (BVH navigation in HW, rays / shader instructions reordering to minimise divergence, etc…).

M3 GPU cores were Level 3.5 or full blown level 4 (I think they are firmly level 4 from their tech talks, but I would prefer more opinions on this :)).

Last edited:

Katatonic

For anyone knocking Apple prices, right now I have 3 laptops open and the oldest one is a MacBook M1 which was cheaper at launch than these Windows ones and it is so much faster, quieter, clearer, I could go on and on about the advantages. People look at the prices in a vacuum and start dissing Apple customers. It's insulting and makes you look kinda stupid.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
For anyone knocking Apple prices, right now I have 3 laptops open and the oldest one is a MacBook M1 which was cheaper at launch than these Windows ones and it is so much faster, quieter, clearer, I could go on and on about the advantages. People look at the prices in a vacuum and start dissing Apple customers. It's insulting and makes you look kinda stupid.

Apple silicon macbooks are pretty sweet.

Just bought the new 11 inch Pro to replace my aging 2020 model. A little disappointed that the base model only features half the RAM and only 3 performance cores.

reinking

Gold Member
I love my iPad Air and use it more than other devices with the exception of my phone. I just bought my granddaughter an M3 MacBook air. I was thinking about getting one myself for my next laptop but I might opt to go with the new13" iPad Pro instead.

I know people like to shit on Apple for pricing but I spent...

$700 iPad air
$200 Magic Keyboard (which is freaking awesome)
$130 Apple pencil 2.0

Like I said, I use it more than any other device I have purchased.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Apple pricing is criminal.

Just saw the new iPad air starts at £599.....with 128gb of storage. 128GB? How are they getting away with selling a tablet in 2024 with 128gb of storage?

Most users who do any large data work have external storage devices for that. Many apps are very light in terms of data requirements. I have been using 256 GB iPad Pro 12.9" since 2020/2021 IIRC? I forget the exact date, but I have not come close to filling up half of it. Music is all cloud based these days thanks to Apple Music and the few albums I really want to listen to that I may not have access to if I enter low data areas, I can download temporarily.

Videos/Shows/Movies are alls treaming for me, whether it be via my personal PLEX server, or other places.

Art-wise, I usually only have 2-3 things ongoing at once and I can quickly upload that to an SD card. Not much of a reason to keep it on the device at all times.

Notes, Excel Files, etc - don't take up much space. I also don't really use the device to game either. The few times I do, I usually just connect to my PC at home via a streaming set up to play some retro games. This is very, very rare though. Pretty much will be a non-issue as soon as Retroarch releases an app on the AppStore officially.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
$1,000 bucks for a Mac "stand"

5WQPD2o.gif
Are you a pro? .. not for you amateur loser!!

BoxFresh123

Still got an iPad pro 2nd gen that has never felt like it's slowed down to this day.

Appreciate the tech going into these things but I'm just part of the user base that will never benefit from it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Still got an iPad pro 2nd gen that has never felt like it's slowed down to this day.

Appreciate the tech going into these things but I'm just part of the user base that will never benefit from it.

Its definitely nice to see though. I don't feel like I *need* to upgrade with every device. Benefits users who want to upgrade once every 4-7 years a lot more.

I am tempted to upgrade this go around though. The updates to the screen are very nice as are the pencil/magic keyboard. I can trade in and get a pretty nice chunk taken off for the lower end storage version, but since I don't need so much storage to begin with - it is not an issue.

My biggest issue is just the OS. It is far too restrictive for productive work flows.

Time to replace my old (but still working) Ipad air 2.
The Air 2 was the king for many years. Even up through the fourth gen, the Air 2 was still overall superior. The laminated screen on that thing was absolutely perfect.

130 bucks for a stylus?
You just couldn't resist putting your complete ignorance out there for everyone to see, archived for the rest of our civilization's existence.

Just saw the new iPad air starts at £599.....with 128gb of storage. 128GB? How are they getting away with selling a tablet in 2024 with 128gb of storage?
Ignoring the price, the amount of storage is fine. Your documents, photos, videos, and music are stored in the cloud. What else would you put on your device? It's just all apps. I have 128GB and 90GB is used on lossless audio ripped from my music CDs (rather extravagant). I've never come close to running out of space. Even my magazines and comic files are streamed from a server. I have the 200GB family iCloud plan and it holds three people's worth of data and backups (multiple devices, even).

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

3 P-cores is an odd config, I know there was the A8X years ago with 3 cores but not recently. I hope that means they're binning the 4 P-Core chips for M4 Macs.

iPadOS still feels incredibly limiting to me, and I don't see that becoming a world different at WWDC, but I'd be excited for this chip in a MacBook Pro.

Doesn't look like a major GPU gain year which makes sense since M3 was just rearchitected and there's no more node density to work with for this, decent CPU gains at least if you get the 4 P, and big ANE gains.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Mine's an S8. Yeah.....it is just perfect. I pop it on the treadmill or exercise bike to watch youtube or shows during my workout. Awesome speakers too. Love it.
It's pretty good with emulators too and gaming in general although I don't really use it for that. All around really solid.

Lately has been great to me by allowing me to watch the NBA playoffs in bed while the wife watches netflix :messenger_tears_of_joy:

StereoVsn

I for one love all that brightness as I use my pad sitting outside often
Yep, higher brightness is good to have on tablets, since the use case of outside utilization is much greater.

I travel with iPad quite often and it’s nice to sit in a cafe, grab some lunch and be able to see in the sunlight.

Edit: Tempted to pick up the 13” M4 with 1TB but man, that price just bites. And I do have 11” M2.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Ignoring the price, the amount of storage is fine. Your documents, photos, videos, and music are stored in the cloud. What else would you put on your device? It's just all apps. I have 128GB and 90GB is used on lossless audio ripped from my music CDs (rather extravagant). I've never come close to running out of space. Even my magazines and comic files are streamed from a server. I have the 200GB family iCloud plan and it holds three people's worth of data and backups (multiple devices, even).
Movies, videos for editing, games. Basically when you are traveling it’s useful to have extra storage. Yea, you can use OTG USB for some of it but it’s clunkier.

The Air 2 was the king for many years. Even up through the fourth gen, the Air 2 was still overall superior. The laminated screen on that thing was absolutely perfect.

You just couldn't resist putting your complete ignorance out there for everyone to see, archived for the rest of our civilization's existence.
Screen still looks pretty nice. My main issue is it's not very big, less than 10 inches. I'll replace it with the 13 or bigger if they have them. Also it's the last thing in my house that uses the Lightning port.
Looks like they did not put the Magsafe charging on these new ones. :(

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins

Games that are a few GB in size (Football Manager, Medieval 2 Total War, Rome Total War etc)

Films. I travel a lot and sometimes like to watch a film, so need to a few downloaded to my device.

I need more than 128gb

dorkimoe

Gold Member
Trading in my old 12.9 from like 3-4 years ago and got this pre ordered. I love that they do installments and that they give instant trade in credit. Gonna get keyboard at bestbuy to get some points, but that shit is way too expensive

Top Bottom