• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

japtor

If that ceramic came in black I might actually be tempted. No joke.
Just get space black then? And you save a bunch of money while you're at it!

...I have an original space black and really want that ceramic white too.
The Edition is now absolutely beautiful. I'm soooo glad Apple pulled out of that 10k+ Watch silly business. It just didn't make sense for a tech company.
Conveniently turns out to be one way of getting around the pesky issue of outdating the gold watches every year, now they're just more exclusive. Still technically outdated of course but I doubt that's a huge concern to those owners.

Just get space black then? And you save a bunch of money while you're at it!

...I have an original space black and really want that ceramic white too.

Conveniently turns out to be one way of getting around the pesky issue of outdating the gold watches every year, now they're just more exclusive. Still technically outdated of course but I doubt that's a huge concern to those owners.

I will be getting the Space Black, no worries. Just thought black ceramic would be cool

jts

...hate me...
Yep.

If the Watch kept the same body, structurally speaking, I do wonder if those owners will be offered a (paid) parts upgrade. Certainly doesn't seem impossible. Apple or not Apple.

Jonogunn

I wanna get an Apple Watch because I'm guilty of texting and driving and constantly checking my phone.

But I no logically that's not enough to justify spending so much money on tech I don't need.

jts

...hate me...
I wanna get an Apple Watch because I'm guilty of texting and driving and constantly checking my phone.

But I no logically that's not enough to justify spending so much money on tech I don't need.
The bad news is that it isn't exactly great for texting, but it can do in a pinch, and it's yeah it's nice to check a just received message with just a flick of the wrist.

The good news is that the Watch does much more than that, even if you don't need it (then again, you don't need to text and drive).

Lastly, please don't text and drive.

So the new watches are both thicker and heavier than the 1st gen.

Apple-Watch-dimensions-series-1-vs-2.jpg

jimmypython

Try and see if you can see them in person. I had a black sport before and it was ok, but sold it a little while later. Recently I thought I'd get a silver sport as I needed discreet notifications for when I'm at work. But at the Apple Store it just looked weird and plasticky. Luckily I found a stainless steel with product red band dicoubtes to the same price as the sport.

For the sport I think black is better, but definitely worth looking around to see if any old models are being cleared out - especially if series 1 doesn't come in SS anymore. Check eBay too - mine was from PC World eBay store and was a 'refurbished' but was actually unused, just the box had been opened

Also third party bands are your friend. Several are pretty much identical to apple ones at a fraction of the price

I have a black sport one. The only problem I have is it doesn't really go with many other band options.

I might get a gold finish for Series 2...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have a black sport one. The only problem I have is it doesn't really go with many other band options.

I might get a gold finish for Series 2...

This is kind of why I went for the stainless steel in the end. I like metal bands and while I've had black ones, they don't always look great. And when I went to an Apple Store to look at them, I didn't like the silver.
I don't think I would have paid full price for the SS, but it is lovely

SuperPac

I'm considering getting Series 2 - ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhHHHHH!

Yep. Might go SS again, this time with the white nylon band since I already have the black. I'd like to go swimming with it. Though I don't go swimming a whole lot. But I would appreciate a snappier watch.

I'm going space black instead of normal SS this time around to match all the other black/space grey stuff I'm getting

I don't think I could switch to aluminum. SS just feels so good and so premium

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
So I'm going to get an Aluminum gold series 2, but it doesn't come with the blue sport band. Anyone want to trade their like-new blue sport band to me for either Cocoa or Light Gray once I get it?

japtor

I will be getting the Space Black, no worries. Just thought black ceramic would be cool
Actually the new space black looks...different from the original space black here:

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch...reSelect=false&product=MP492LL/A&step=detail#

That looks more like a matte finish (except maybe the crown?) while the original was pretty much a straight up black (albeit with some depth to the finish). That's why I mentioned it when you said black ceramic, cause I'd expect it pretty much to look like space black. I can't tell if the new one is the same, it looks more like the original in the gallery here:

http://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-2/gallery/

Actually the new space black looks...different from the original space black here:

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-watch...reSelect=false&product=MP492LL/A&step=detail#

That looks more like a matte finish (except maybe the crown?) while the original was pretty much a straight up black (albeit with some depth to the finish). That's why I mentioned it when you said black ceramic, cause I'd expect it pretty much to look like space black. I can't tell if the new one is the same, it looks more like the original in the gallery here:

http://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-2/gallery/

Actually I'm cool with more matte, it matches the matte black iPhone I'm getting 😉

The store is down!

Do things ship on the 16th or do they arrive on the 16th? And can you typically do in-store pickups from online orders?

Feels a bit strange to not be pre-ordering the news product, but I just have no use for GPS and water-proofing for the Watch. Better screen is nice, but not for 100 bucks more. I'm still surprised that the innards between the two are the same regardless of those three features. In fact, to test things a bit, it was a nice bright sunny day today so I took the iPad Pro outside to see how readable the screen was, and it was ok. Twice the brightness does sound great, though.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Sticking with my gen1 but the improvements look great this year. Will probably wait another two iterations before replacing mine. Maybe not, things could change. Definitely don't see anything truly worth upgrading for.

Pretty crazy that series1 gets the new processor.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Sticking with my gen1 but the improvements look great this year. Will probably wait another two iterations before replacing mine. Maybe not, things could change. Definitely don't see anything truly worth upgrading for.

Pretty crazy that series1 gets the new processor.
Wait series 1 gets the new processor? So what's left to differentiate? water resistance, gps and brighter screen?

jimmypython

So I'm going to get an Aluminum gold series 2, but it doesn't come with the blue sport band. Anyone want to trade their like-new blue sport band to me for either Cocoa or Light Gray once I get it?

This pissed me off a little bit too. The mid-night blue looks so good with the gold casing.

However, the cocoa band started grow on me after seeing one in real life in one of the hands-on videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXSpglqCCAU

question

Im thinking about getting an apple series 2 watch, the Nike edition.

It comes with some special design face from Nike. BUT can I also change the face and use the traditional faces that is on the normal Apple watch series 2 edition or am I stuck with using those nike faces?

question

Im thinking about getting an apple series 2 watch, the Nike edition.

It comes with some special design face from Nike. BUT can I also change the face and use the traditional faces that is on the normal Apple watch series 2 edition or am I stuck with using those nike faces?

Of course you can change the face. It's just the non-Nike editions don't get the Nike faces

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
This pissed me off a little bit too. The mid-night blue looks so good with the gold casing.

However, the cocoa band started grow on me after seeing one in real life in one of the hands-on videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXSpglqCCAU

I just put my order in, but it was at best buy. Cocoa gold went so quick in terms of shipping, and they don't have store pickup. Right when I got in after buying my iPhone 7, it was already "shipping on the 26th". I'll take my chances with Best Buy or see if I can just buy one straight up from Apple when I go to pick up my phone.

Of course you can change the face. It's just the non-Nike editions don't get the Nike faces

cool
so in other words if you get the nike edition its the same as getting a normal apple series 2 watch, but nike edition has extra faces and the nike running app installed. I can use the standar interface that comes with the original Series 2 watch if I want to as well?

the nike userface seems to be very oriented towars runners, and it would be nice to be able to turn that off and use it as a normal Apple watch too

Deku Tree

I still don't see how having the watch would make my life easier or improve the way I do things in any way. I like exercise but I have no interest in tracking my stats.

I still don't see how having the watch would make my life easier or improve the way I do things in any way. I like exercise but I have no interest in tracking my stats.

The app I use to punch in and out of the accounts I handle at work has a watch app, so I can punch in and out with my hands full, and see the time elapsed with the complication during my shift. Considering I'm always on my feet and moving, and often have my hands full of shit, having access to that shit, or triaging messages without stopping and pulling out my phone is a massive boon.

But that's just me. It's not without its uses.

Deku Tree

The app I use to punch in and out of the accounts I handle at work has a watch app, so I can punch in and out with my hands full, and see the time elapsed with the complication during my shift. Considering I'm always on my feet and moving, and often have my hands full of shit, having access to that shit, or triaging messages without stopping and pulling out my phone is a massive boon.

But that's just me. It's not without its uses.

I'm not saying the Apple watch isn't useful for a lot of people. But I am saying that I don't see how it is useful for me.

I'm not saying the Apple watch isn't useful for a lot of people. But I am saying that I don't see how it is useful for me.

I've always said that how it fits into your life isn't really obvious until you try to fit it into your life. I didn't get it thinking I'd be dictating texts to it, but that's what ended up happening. It might be a dud for you, or it might be great for you and you just don't know how yet.

Deku Tree

I've always said that how it fits into your life isn't really obvious until you try to fit it into your life. I didn't get it thinking I'd be dictating texts to it, but that's what ended up happening. It might be a dud for you, or it might be great for you and you just don't know how yet.

It's possible. I mean I've got lots of Macs, iPhones, and iPads and I love using them... But the thing is that I'm not curious enough to spend $400 on an Apple Watch too just to check and see if it would really be great for me or not (and if I bought one then I wouldn't only want the black $400 42mm one, or the Black Nike Sport one that I think is also $400.)

So I'm thinking of buying an Apple Watch for my mom for her birthday but I'm not really sure what she's going to get out of it.

She's a nurse so she's always on her feet, doesn't go on runs, and would only probably like it because she likes Apple things. She already has an iPhone 6s Plus, iPad, soooo idk.

Can someone sell me on this besides 'this looks cool'

So I'm thinking of buying an Apple Watch for my mom for her birthday but I'm not really sure what she's going to get out of it.

She's a nurse so she's always on her feet, doesn't go on runs, and would only probably like it because she likes Apple things. She already has an iPhone 6s Plus, iPad, soooo idk.

Can someone sell me on this besides 'this looks cool'

Notifications while at work without relying on her phone

jts

...hate me...
Got a package today, it was a bunch of knock-off sport bands off ebay.

Absolute rubbish.

I will use a few I guess, tired of my old blue and sometimes I need a discrete band. But I do need a few legit Apple ones. It just hurts so much to drop 60 euros on a couple of pieces of rubber ;_;

Top Bottom