• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

SuperPac

Any tips on setup and good apps? I want to keep it fairly minimal - no sound and just haptics for notification screening mostly. There are so many different menus in the watch app.

I don't want to get spammed with notifications for all incoming emails but would like to be notified of important ones. But I use inbox which means limited granularity. Should I use rules or something else to forward important people to mail where I can flag them as vip?

Complications is something I need to experiment with too, so any recommendations there would be gratefully received

Apps I'd recommend as complications - Fantastical, CARROT Weather
Apps I have on there mostly for the occasional need - 1Password for quick frequently used passwords, Thermo Watch for Nest stuff, Breaking News for impressively fast news alerts

Aside from that, the stock apps are the best ways to use the watch - Now Playing, Messages, Mail. Even though I'm using iOS 3, I don't have many apps installed - though everything *is* much faster.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So it seems mostly stock and then tweak notifications to the level of noise filtering you desire?

Hopefully they allow third party faces. I like the complications but the faces that allow them are too limited IMO. Although I'm used to the other extreme making my own facer faces on android wear :)

My one wish, and I have given feedback about this, is being able to have selective sync of the calendars. My girlfriend shares her calendar with me, but I can't have it selected in the iOS calendar app because then her events show up on my Watch, when I really just want it to be my events.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My one wish, and I have given feedback about this, is being able to have selective sync of the calendars. My girlfriend shares her calendar with me, but I can't have it selected in the iOS calendar app because then her events show up on my Watch, when I really just want it to be my events.

Does fantastical allow that level of control?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just returned my Apple Watch Sport to the Apple Store in Covent Garden. I'd bought it with Apple Pay because why not, and the staff took ten minutes to figure out how to refund me. First the guy asked to see my debit card which I said was pointless because Apple Pay isn't the same number. Then they tried issuing a refund but it only offered a gift card. Finally they just put my debit card in the machine and it worked. Lucky I had it with me - seems they can't refund via Apple Pay which seems a big oversight

Edit : why no rectangular analogue faces? Just take the round ones and put the ticks around the edge of the screen. Can keep the hands as they are and complications can sit inside the face. I like the analogue hands but the little round faces look a little odd.

Does fantastical allow that level of control?

Don't know, I just use the stock app

Just returned my Apple Watch Sport to the Apple Store in Covent Garden. I'd bought it with Apple Pay because why not, and the staff took ten minutes to figure out how to refund me. First the guy asked to see my debit card which I said was pointless because Apple Pay isn't the same number. Then they tried issuing a refund but it only offered a gift card. Finally they just put my debit card in the machine and it worked. Lucky I had it with me - seems they can't refund via Apple Pay which seems a big oversight.

I've actually made this mistake before when returning something. I read off the last four and the customer was like "I have no idea what card that is". Took a couple minutes to figure it out

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm really hoping Apple focuses on more sensors/better speed and battery life (sleep tracking plz) instead of prioritizing phone-independence this early in the history of the Apple Watch.

Same. I don't need it to have a cellular connection. Maybe GPS as an option for runners etc, but I don't care about it.

I want fully customisable watch faces - let me add complications and put them where I want. Let third parties make watch faces. Also give me an always on mode like android wear

Recent Samsung Patent Filing Includes Images of Apple Watch - MacRumors

samsungapplewatchpatent-800x629.jpg

samsungapplewatchmodernbuckle-800x283.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
I for one would love cellular, I always leave my phone in the locker in the gym, or my desk in the office, and it would be nice to continue getting notifications.

Same. I don't need it to have a cellular connection. Maybe GPS as an option for runners etc, but I don't care about it.

I want fully customisable watch faces - let me add complications and put them where I want. Let third parties make watch faces. Also give me an always on mode like android wear

Yeah, the one time a cellular connection (and GPS) would be nice is for working out - that's about it. At all other times I've got my phone on me or near me anyway. But even then it's still perfectly good for supplying music.

I actually consider phone-independence my #1 desired feature, definitely for workout purposes. I don't think Apple would go with an inelegant solution like a SIM card for the Watch, but I think there will be a software solution to "lend" your phone's cellular ability to the Watch, like Wi-Fi calling on AT&T

Add in GPS, and if they're feeling generous the ability to join Wi-Fi networks from the Watch itself and I'm a happy camper. Better battery for sleep-tracking comes in at #2, but I've never had an issue with the battery life at all, and I'm only a little interested in sleep tracking (I have yet to see the practical benefits).

It would be nice to be able to make small trips during the day and just... not bring my phone (and maybe even my wallet, depending on where I'm going). It would take a LOT of getting used to, but I think it could be cool

jts

...hate me...
I feel like “Samsung literally patents the Apple Watch” kinda deserves its own thread. Wow shameless.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I for one would love cellular, I always leave my phone in the locker in the gym, or my desk in the office, and it would be nice to continue getting notifications.

Would wifi-Internet access cover that? Eg if the watch can connect to a known wifi access point and receive notifications over the Internet rather than just locally?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Would wifi-Internet access cover that? Eg if the watch can connect to a known wifi access point and receive notifications over the Internet rather than just locally?

I think it would yes in the next wOS, but if your gym wifi asks you to accept terms each time you are SOL without cellular

Verge is running some juicy rumors
http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/7/12400382/apple-watch-2-rumor-features-release-date

Gps and speed bump this year with minimal design changes, LTE next year with minimal size changes, new design in 2018

That's fantastic. I can understand wanting to upgrade a phone every year or two but not a watch, and not for the price they're asking. If that's really the upgrade cycle they might go with (sounds like the new iPhone refresh cycle rumors, actually) that's way more reasonable. I can probably last 4 years per major revision as long as they don't have the watch running like total shit before then. Which if the new watchOS is any indication, they're going backwards from the norm (starting out slow and clunky and refining it VS starting out smooth and adding more and more to it slowing it down).

Downloaded watchOS3 beta last night, today is my first day with it. Let's see how it goes!

Also the Apple Watch 2 is definitely a lock for my girlfriend and I, but I would definitely pay extra for LTE

Downloaded watchOS3 beta last night, today is my first day with it. Let's see how it goes!

Also the Apple Watch 2 is definitely a lock for my girlfriend and I, but I would definitely pay extra for LTE

LTE's going to be a big deal in part because total phone independence will require a thorough rework of a lot of the Apple Watch underpinnings (remember that a lot of the actual processing of basic tasks happens on your phone, not on the watch itself, not to mention you configure a lot of the Watch stuff - especially notifications - using the app on your phone).

I'm interested to see how Apple tackles that but I hope they get as much functionality as possible into the watch first before introducing LTE and its attendant battery drain. It'll be great for workouts when it becomes available, though.

CraigMcD

LTE's going to be a big deal in part because total phone independence will require a thorough rework of a lot of the Apple Watch underpinnings (remember that a lot of the actual processing of basic tasks happens on your phone, not on the watch itself, not to mention you configure a lot of the Watch stuff - especially notifications - using the app on your phone).

I'm interested to see how Apple tackles that but I hope they get as much functionality as possible into the watch first before introducing LTE and its attendant battery drain. It'll be great for workouts when it becomes available, though.

I don't think LTE is going to mean phone independence.

I don't think LTE is going to mean phone independence.

I could see that being the case for a while, yeah, now that you mention it. So basically complications/notifications would keep working fine while away from your phone (and so would e.g. Apple Music/Maps) but opening a third-party app might still require your phone to be nearby, and the watch would still need to be paired to a phone/still need to come back to within range of it for some updates to come through/etc.

Cut the thickness and battery life suffers. Battery already is not *that* impressive so it's understandable they do not want to make the sacrifice.

I think adding LTE and reducing the thickness of the device are definitely in the cards for the future, but Apple needs to find the Watch's killer app before making choices that'll narrow their options in terms of added capability (due to a reduced amount of battery capacity to pull from). watchOS 3 will certainly help, and I suspect the S2 chip will lower power consumption pretty noticeably.

I think adding LTE and reducing the thickness of the device are definitely in the cards for the future, but Apple needs to find the Watch's killer app before making choices that'll narrow their options in terms of added capability (due to a reduced amount of battery capacity to pull from). watchOS 3 will certainly help, and I suspect the S2 chip will lower power consumption pretty noticeably.

They might be waiting for that next breakthrough in battery tech, I know it just keep engineers up at night about how to pack more wireless chips into a watch with less volume but the same or better battery life

So watchOS3 is amazing. Like actually amazing. It feels like new hardware

It might be a "it's so good it might be too good" situation since now that apps load almost immediately the stuff that doesn't go that fast, like Siri or texting dictation feels painfully slow. I'm trying to do more stuff with my watch than I was before and as such it feels like I'm hitting more walls

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So watchOS3 is amazing. Like actually amazing. It feels like new hardware

It might be a "it's so good it might be too good" situation since now that apps load almost immediately the stuff that doesn't go that fast, like Siri or texting dictation feels painfully slow. I'm trying to do more stuff with my watch than I was before and as such it feels like I'm hitting more walls

Stable enough for a daily driver? Does it require me to also be on the iOS beta?

Stable enough for a daily driver? Does it require me to also be on the iOS beta?

Yes, you do have to also be on iOS10. As for being a daily driver, I can't say yet. It is on mine, but I've only had it one day and had to do one reboot that day (admittedly for an issue I was having on the official releases anyway, dictation wasn't actually picking anything up).

Maybe further into the week I'll start hating it
Sad to clearly not have the same impressions. Slow, buggy, full of reboots. Horrendous beta for me.
Like this chap

Edit: Honestly though, watchOS3 to me absolutely makes this device. I love using it now. I can swipe between different faces in a breeze (I have four now: downtime, driving, work, and workout) with different complications to quick-launch different apps. The dock is amazing. I can actually USE third-party apps and not feel like an idiot

It has me salivating for AW2

Gurman:

Apple Inc. has hit roadblocks in making major changes that would connect its Watch to cellular networks and make it less dependent on the iPhone, according to people with knowledge of the matter. The company still plans to announce new watch models this fall boasting improvements to health tracking.

Even without cellular connectivity, Apple still anticipates shipping models of the watch that can more precisely determine a user’s location by way of GPS chips that communicate with satellites. This technology would allow the device to track running and walking distances more precisely and improve the accuracy of data submitted to health tracking applications, two of the people said. The GPS would also make navigation on the watch more accurate, the people said..

More at:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...it-roadblocks-in-cutting-watch-ties-to-iphone

aparisi2274

Sounds interesting. Wish the battery issue could be solved so I could move up from a garmin gps watch.

Battery issue? What issue are you having? I only ask because I have had my watch since Christmas, and I can usually got like a couple days without having to charge it...

Battery issue? What issue are you having? I only ask because I have had my watch since Christmas, and I can usually got like a couple days without having to charge it...

I think they were referring to why the AW2 wouldn't have cellular connectivity because of battery issues

Quasar

Oh I dont have one, just that its poor battery life compared to my gps watch which lasts a week or more is an issue. Especially given my interest in sleep tracking.

Its battery life plus support for swim and other sports tracking and gps is why I bought it instead of a apple or android smart watch.

jts

...hate me...
Anyone actually uses the Activity circles? I've neglected them at first but have been fun with them recently.

Aiming for my first week straight completing all the circles.

Already completed 7 days but the achievement is for actual Monday-Sunday perfect week smh.

It would be cool from Apple to make this social, I know they are supposed to in the next update, but I think that's only for your contacts i.e. friends and family? Not sure. But to make it social like Strava, Runkeeper, or Nike+ would be dope.

Blackhead

Redarse
I think they were referring to why the AW2 wouldn't have cellular connectivity because of battery issues
I really have to wonder what's wrong with Apple's engineering. There are already existing multiple cellular connected Androidwear/SamsungGear/Android watches with the same or better battery life than the AppleWatch.
Oh I dont have one, just that its poor battery life compared to my gps watch which lasts a week or more is an issue. Especially given my interest in sleep tracking.

Its battery life plus support for swim and other sports tracking and gps is why I bought it instead of a apple or android smart watch.

There's never going to be an AppleWatch that lasts a week. I would suggest getting this rumored 2nd Gen with GPS and trying it yourself to determine if the 1 week battery life requirement is as important to you as you think.

Otherwise there's the Pebble+GPSband which also a 1 week of battery life, support for swim, sleep etc

Top Bottom