• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you an asshole if someone asks you what your favorite dinosaur species is, and you respond with a bird species?

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Lately paleontologists and other scientists have been reconsidering the idea that dinosaurs went extinct 65 million years ago. They are moving away from the belief that birds descended from dinosaurs and are instead arguing that they ARE dinosaurs. Meaning a branch wasn't killed when the asteroid hit. Their evidence is that there are way too many similarities between modern birds and extinct dinosaurs to say birds split off into a new group.

If that is the case, that means there are over 10000 species of dinosaur currently roaming the planet.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, this strikes me as the guy in every group of friends who's like "Well, technically speaking, Richard, a bee isn't a bug. It's all down to taxonomy, it's really rather complex, and I wouldn't blame the riff raff for not knowing the intricacies of the scientific community. Pinkies up, bitches," as he stealthily closes Wikipedia on his iphone while you slowly realize your name isn't Richard and you've felt slightly dizzy ever since the second drink or so.

BigBooper

I have unfortunately turned into more of an asshole in my old age and I have to catch myself sometimes to answer politely, but really...

200.gif

Are you going to include your whole OP in the response?

Or will you reply “blackbird” and smugly sit back crossing your arms in the hope that you have trolled the question asker effectively or that they had already somehow privately considered the evolutionary points in the OP?

Alx

Is "dinosaur" even a scientifically approved term ? I mean it is/was used for all kinds of creatures living on differnet times on a window of millions of years. Also it means "formidable lizard", for animals that were not lizards, nor all formidable.
Anyway who would prefer a chicken to a Triceratops or a Brontosaurus ?

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Your an asshole for thinking even the best birds we have today are better than a fucking dinosaur.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Yeah, my thoughts on this haven't changed with sleep. This is like telling people that your favorite human being is the first fully reconstructed skeleton of a Neanderthal. Like, okay, technically? I guess? A counter to OP's query:

Would I be an asshole if someone asked me what my favorite bird was and I said a t-rex?

TonyK

Pedantic. Not an asshole but you must be prepared to cause a pedantic impact in your interlocutor.

Notice that when a person show pedantic attitude towards simple questions is generally perceived as dumb.

Trogdor1123

There are only two answers to that question that are right. Trex, and triceratops. Everything else is just filler.

My favorite almost a dinosaur is a Dimetradon.

Top Bottom