• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

near

Gold Member
LYo9TGk.jpeg

ivtvlQt.jpeg

kHnLElZ.jpeg

Progress being made. :messenger_ok:

lifa-cobex

Clearly the people who made the game can see it's a bullshit move. A crying fucking shame so many around here don't.
It's fucking bizzar.

"gaming is getting worse over the years. It's getting to corpo"

"oh you should absolutely make a PSN account that serves no benefits to you. It makes the Sony player base looks higher."
"I know you have a ton already but one more won't hurt."

Three

The option to buy on Steam is still there. My Options are still there.

Yes. I would prefer another launcher instead of needing to have to log in on 2 accounts at same time for 1 game. It is idiotic. It is already like that for EA, Ubisoft, etc games.
My dude, the process of having to sign up to an account and install a separate launcher is far worse than the thing you're complaining about. It even includes the thing you're complaining about anyway.

How are you OK with signing up and having separate EA, Ubisoft, MS, ABK, PS launchers but consider just signing up on steam and linking an account too much? It really doesn't make any sense.
It's a one time link you don't need to keep logging in on 2 accounts.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
It's fucking bizzar.

"gaming is getting worse over the years. It's getting to corpo"

"oh you should absolutely make a PSN account that serves no benefits to you. It makes the Sony player base looks higher."
"I know you have a ton already but one more won't hurt."

Right?

So much complaining around here (rightly) that gaming is getting worse and worse due to corporate greed, over-reach, and executive bullshittery...

...but this is fine now?

When did so many gamers get so fucking cucked by corporations?

JayK47

The theme the last few weeks seems to be patches or so called upgrades that make a game worse in some way. Breaking mod support, added 3rd party apps, making costumes more modest, etc. As a PC gamer, it has gotten ridiculous with all of the game store fronts on my computer. I have Steam, Epic, EA, Ubisoft, and Xbox. On more than one occasion, I have purchased a game on Steam that requires Ubisoft, EA, or Xbox with the added 3rd party app giving me trouble and preventing or delaying me gaming. Delays usually come from requiring an update of the 3rd party app. But sometimes it just breaks and requires messing around with. An entire gaming session can be lost to me spending the time instead troubleshooting it. So it does effect me purchasing a game on Steam. If I see the 3rd party app requirement, I may not buy on Steam, or at least wait for sale with steep discount.

And I do not know about you, but I am so tired of registering with a new site and needing to keep track of yet another password and username.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
My dude, the process of having to sign up to an account and install a separate launcher is far worse than the thing you're complaining about. It even includes the thing you're complaining about anyway.

How are you OK with signing up and having separate EA, Ubisoft, MS, ABK, PS launchers but consider just signing up on steam and linking an account too much? It really doesn't make any sense.
It's a one time link you don't need to keep logging in on 2 accounts.
Where I said is it too much? Its not about the trouble. it's about wasting computing resources and having to log to 2 accounts that can be hacked when I only really "need" 1.

lifa-cobex

Right?

So much complaining around here (rightly) that gaming is getting worse and worse due to corporate greed, over-reach, and executive bullshittery...

...but this is fine now?

When did so many gamers get so fucking cucked by corporations?
Hell. At least when EA, Ubisoft, MS, ABK, etc do it. They at least offer me a hand job behind the shed with a deal of some form.

Sony- "Just bend over. It'll only just take a quick sec. I'm going to tell my friends though just to show how popular I am."
"I know you don't want to do it but I'll tell them that you did"

Last edited:

Three

Weren’t there also some opposition when Minecraft and Microsoft required Xbox live login for Minecraft on the PlayStation?

Sony initially blocked it.

Not sure about the relevance of this. Are you trying to say PS were blocking it to prevent additional "corpo" third party account registrations on Playstation? There wasn't any user opposition surprisingly as far as I remember outside of maybe just an occasional moan.

What PS need to do to learn from that playbook then is block the next Helldivers 2 "play together" update and say if you want the benefits of this update you need to sign in on PSN. Job done.

Del_X

One of the reviews sums it up nice

Yeah i'm not linking my account to PSN.
April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users
May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen
June 2011: Sony Pictures Website Hacked, Exposing One Million Accounts
November 2014: Hackers Steal 100 Terabytes of Data from Sony Pictures
August 2017: Hacker Group Accesses Sony Social Media Accounts
September 2023: Sony Investigates Alleged Hack
October 2023: Sony Notifies Employees of Data Breach

Three

Hell. At least when EA, Ubisoft, MS, ABK, etc do it. They at least offer me a hand job behind the shed with a deal of some form.

Sony- "Just bend over. It'll only just take a quick sec. I'm going to tell my friends though just to show how popular I am."
"I know you don't want to do it but I'll tell them that you did"
Whats the "deal" when you can't play Gears 5 single player without registering for a MS account on steam? What's the "deal" when rainbow six siege requires a Ubisoft Connect account? There is no deal.

Last edited:

Fabieter

Not sure about the relevance of this. Are you trying to say PS were blocking it to prevent additional "corpo" third party account registrations on Playstation? There wasn't any user opposition surprisingly as far as I remember outside of maybe just an occasional moan.

What PS need to do to learn from that playbook then is block the next Helldivers 2 "play together" update and say if you want the benefits of this update you need to sign in on PSN. Job done.

Sony is really bad in selling their cooperate bullshit to their consumers. They handeld it really poorly.

lifa-cobex

Whats the "deal" when you can't play Gears 5 single player without registering for a MS account on steam? What's the "deal" when rainbow six siege requires a Ubisoft Connect account? There is no deal.
The point being that they want you go use their store as apposed to using steam.
Their the compotation. Chances are if you go to their store you will probably see deals or discounts.

PSN offers nothing to a PC user.
BTW I'm not for having to register on other apps in order to play on steam. Having to register on Rockstar in order to play GTA5 is retarded.
It's fucking annoying and I've never met a person who is for them.
Well until today that is.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

The theme the last few weeks seems to be patches or so called upgrades that make a game worse in some way. Breaking mod support, added 3rd party apps, making costumes more modest, etc. As a PC gamer, it has gotten ridiculous with all of the game store fronts on my computer. I have Steam, Epic, EA, Ubisoft, and Xbox. On more than one occasion, I have purchased a game on Steam that requires Ubisoft, EA, or Xbox with the added 3rd party app giving me trouble and preventing or delaying me gaming. Delays usually come from requiring an update of the 3rd party app. But sometimes it just breaks and requires messing around with. An entire gaming session can be lost to me spending the time instead troubleshooting it. So it does effect me purchasing a game on Steam. If I see the 3rd party app requirement, I may not buy on Steam, or at least wait for sale with steep discount.

And I do not know about you, but I am so tired of registering with a new site and needing to keep track of yet another password and username.

I understand why PC-only gamers are upset since the benefits of linking your PSN account do not apply to them. They don't care about cross-progression, cross-save, trophy support, etc. However, they also have to understand that Sony will always prioritize PlayStation gamers first and foremost. As someone who plays on both, I want this. I want my trophies to be integrated. I want cross-save and cross-progression so that when I start a game on the PS5 and then go a trip for 2 weeks, I can pick up where I left off on the Steamdeck. Is it annoying for the PC-only gamers? Yes no argument there.

Three

The point being that they want you go use their store as apposed to using steam.
Their the compotation. Chances are if you go to their store you will probably see deals or discounts.
So you're saying you're getting raw dogged here because you bought the game on steam for $40 and it requires a PSN account?

What would have been better is if it was on its own launcher and app that required a PSN account for $35?

That's how ABK, Ubi, MS and co are not raw dogging you by requiring an account registration on steam when you've already bought the game on steam with steam prices. What a 'deal' that is.
PSN offers nothing to a PC user.
BTW I'm not for having to register on other apps in order to play on steam. Having to register on Rockstar in order to play GTA5 is retarded.
It's fucking annoying and I've never met a person who is for them.
Well until today that is.
So why are you asking for it for EA, MS, Ubi etc?

There is. Don't buy them on Steam.

Ok, now tell me what deal you're getting if you did buy on steam but it requires EA, MS, Ubi account registration for no reason.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

So you're saying you're getting raw dogged here because you bought the game on steam for $40 and it requires a PSN account?

What would have been better is if it was on its own launcher and app that required a PSN account for $35?

That's how ABK, Ubi, MS and co are not raw dogging you by requiring an account registration on steam when you've already bought the game on steam with steam prices. What a 'deal' that is.

If people don't want Sony to make their own launcher (which would be a much bigger annoyance I'd argue), this is the path of least resistance where Sony just integrates PSN into existing launchers to allow for cross-progression, cross-save, and trophy integration in future games.

Funny thing is that 10s of thousands are complaining, breaking down etc but we dont see that in the concurrent player numbers.

Spineless bastards are still playing. :D :D

Even 2 in my friendslist who complained and/or said to have uninstalled the game are in it RIGHT NOW.

Three

If people don't want Sony to make their own launcher (which would be a much bigger annoyance I'd argue), this is the path of least resistance where Sony just integrates PSN into existing launchers to allow for cross-progression, cross-save, and trophy integration in future games.
They'd love to moan even worse at that.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Seriously, this gen made me dislike the Pc Community. Like they’re very overreacting and they port beg like there’s no tomorrow.
Yeah how dare we use so much energy to move the cursor over to the "thumbs down" and click on it just to voice our displeasure over annoying and redundant corporate mechanisms. It's so perplexing why we don't just bend over and take it in the ass like a good boy bootlicker! /s

Disclaimer: I for one don't mind connecting to the PlayStation network, historically I'm closer to trophies than Steam achievements so-to-speak. I'm just saying that it's not exactly an overreaction for people to click a mouse button, and that we don't have to be geniuses to have some form of understanding for general consumer resistance in this instance - Especially when it's done retroactively.

Last edited:
The big deal is that Sony can say whatever it likes... the fact is a PSN account is clearly not needed to play Helldivers 2.

The only (real) reason they now want you to have one is so they can sell their shit at more people.
Boy it really bothers you doesnt it? Get a fucking life man.... Instead of spamming every thread covering this.
Its pathetic.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Exactly, so going back to this:

How are they offering a deal with their mandatory steam requirement in comparison? The answer is there is no deal.
I didn't say that. Why you are bringing other user post? Afaik, there is no good deal.

Three

I didn't say that. Why you are bringing other user post? Afaik, there is no good deal.
Because you replied to me in this chain saying there is a deal when my point was about requiring third party accounts on steam where you aren't getting a deal there either when they do it:
There is. Don't buy them on Steam.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Funny thing is that 10s of thousands are complaining, breaking down etc but we dont see that in the concurrent player numbers.

Spineless bastards are still playing. :D :D

Even 2 in my friendslist who complained and/or said to have uninstalled the game are in it RIGHT NOW.

Is there a rule that say that voicing an opinion always have to be followed by a boycott? I don't see the logic here. The pattern you're describing seems more like rational conduct.

Boy it really bothers you doesnt it? Get a fucking life man.... Instead of spamming every thread covering this.
Its pathetic.
I see two perspectives here:

One is "bothered" by a mechanism and is contributing to the on-topic.

The other one is bothered by a personal opinion to the extent that they're willing to aggressively insult someone over it.

Time to contemplate.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Because you replied to me in this chain saying there is a deal when my point was about requiring third party accounts on steam where you aren't getting a deal there either when they do it:
You said there is no deal to play Gears 5 and R6Siege on Steam without MS and Ubi accounts. I said the deal is not playing on Steam so you don't need 2 accounts for 1 game.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Review bombing is cool and all but Sony won’t give a flying fuck about that, all they will care about is engagement and money from the war bonds or whatever the battle passes are called. Time will tell whether those are affected or not. Could very easily be a “MW2 boycott group” type situation.

Although, one could easily assume that a review status of “mixed” could certainly affect future sales of the game.
I really hope Sony doesn't back down on this and instead double down on this.

Review bombing is nothing but extortion at this point—it's my way or the highway for these spoiled children, who don't even care about employees who are hired in a studio that made a game they apparently love so much.

They bought a game without reading the requirements and are now complaining about something so insignificant. It's on them.

Top Bottom