• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

Three

You said there is no deal to play Gears 5 and R6Siege on Steam without MS and Ubi accounts. I said the deal is not playing on Steam so you don't need 2 accounts for 1 game.
Oh, but I was discussing having that requirement on steam and how there is no deal:
Whats the "deal" when you can't play Gears 5 single player without registering for a MS account on steam?

Three

The problem with your "discussion" is Steam is not a requirement to play those games.
What are you talking about man.

Somebody said "at least when EA, Ubi, MS etc do it (require another account on steam) they give you a deal" and I said "there is no deal when you can't play Gears 5 single player without registering for a MS account on steam." then you came in saying "there is a deal when you dont use steam".

Helldivers 2 was a $40 game on steam anyway it's a great deal. It wouldn't have been $35 if it had its own PS launcher.

ManaByte

Gold Member
The community manager who bragged about this making it easier to ban people has deleted her Twitter account.

nsz51wfwefyc1.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabieter

If people don't want Sony to make their own launcher (which would be a much bigger annoyance I'd argue), this is the path of least resistance where Sony just integrates PSN into existing launchers to allow for cross-progression, cross-save, and trophy integration in future games.

This shitstorm will definitely change their pc strategy in some way.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Yet, they keep begging for these so-called console games.
They don't beg for console games. They beg for a game version without shitty limitations that console versions have. If they wanted to play the game as it is on console, they would play there on a cheaper console, duh.

near

Gold Member
The community manager who bragged about this making it easier to ban people has deleted her Twitter account.

nsz51wfwefyc1.jpeg

Sounds like she was bullshiting out her ass. If she was actually an AH employee, she needs better PR training or become far more informed with what's going on.

lifa-cobex

Sounds like she was bullshiting out her ass. If she was actually an AH employee, she needs better PR training or become far more informed with what's going on.
It's not the first time she's spazzed out.
She's had a slap on the wrists a few times in the past apparently.

nsz51wfwefyc1.jpeg

WTF.

Does AH not know about this 👇

April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users
May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen
June 2011: Sony Pictures Website Hacked, Exposing One Million Accounts
November 2014: Hackers Steal 100 Terabytes of Data from Sony Pictures
August 2017: Hacker Group Accesses Sony Social Media Accounts
September 2023: Sony Investigates Alleged Hack
October 2023: Sony Notifies Employees of Data Breach

Topher

Gold Member
WTF.

April 2011: Hackers Access Personal Data of 77 Million Sony PlayStation Network Users
May 2011: Personal Details on 25 Million Sony Online Entertainment Customers Stolen

That's a secret

Fabieter

WTF.

If anyone thinks any big tech company is safe than I have loads of bridges to sell.

For example steam had a big data leak around 2011 ad well. No one talks about it. And we shouldn't even start with Microsoft.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Have an example? Or is this tales from your ass?

You want me to list every single country that does not allow the creation of PSN accounts? The PSN accounts that are now going to be *required* to play a game on another platform?

Or are you just talking out your console warring ass?

I was a bit shocked by how many countries PSN does not serve. Some like the Bahamas, Jamaica, or the Philippines are real headscratchers. I thought it was available there.

It isn't a small number and many people don't want to risk having their account permanently closed because of breaking TOS. If it wasn't against TOS and you could just make an account in any country you like without risk, I would not think this would be an issue. Sadly that just isn't the case here.

And it's not like Sony, as a major publisher, is going to ask people to use VPN to get over the hurdle.
It is against the TOS anyway and you are at risk of having your account banned.

This doesn't impact 95% of players, even if they live in one of the countries where they don't have PSN they're likely a small % of the player base, hence why the player count is the same on steam. Doesn't mean it's okay, but there will likely be an alternative solution soon.
You underestimate the amount of folks that live in places like the Phillipines who play these games. It is an unneeded change to a game that has been selling extraordinarly well. If Sony wanted to make PSN accounts creatable in those other countries, or change their TOS, then I would have no issue. That isn't the case though.'

Saying "unable" is probably lying, since you can create your PSN account for any country you want without using VPN. Unless they will require you to create this account for the same country as your Steam ccount.

And all the info you give them can be completely fake. Sony won't ban you for "qwertuoyoeiropeoriuwo" name but if your account gets compromised, you may need to repeat to support what you entered.
It is against TOS and can earn you an account ban.

People don't really want to hear it. His followers aren't people, they're shills. Pay no attention to any of them.

The ONLY people that need to complain about this are the people that are from one of the affected countries. If you are not, then stop complaining. People that get the sads on behalf of others that they don't even know really gives me the shits.
I play with folks in this game who do live in those countries. Fighting against idiotic choices and injustices shouldn't require you to live in said country. That would be retarded.

This i agree with, genuine problem. But many despite having psn in their country, many ppl dont want to link
Personally if you have access to PSN and don't want to link? Then yes, they are being whiny babies. I am more against this change specifically for the reasons that a good number of folks can't make said accounts without risking permanent bans.

If you put in over 300 hours into a game, get to rank 60+, you won't want to risk all that progress lost.

Last edited:
Imagine having a "job" where you can just stop doing it entirely and essentially stop showing up because it got annoying.
Gamers can do that to you.

A couple of retailers where i live, after taking your order for PS5/ Series X, they ghost you on phone / whatsapp till they get it in their hand. Same for most game preorders.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I wonder since when PC players started to follow ToS so diligently.

Chinese and Philippine players have already been getting banned for not following the TOS. It doesn't take a genius to know that breaking TOS can risk account closure.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No one got banned for that.

If they did, it was something else. No one in PSN 17 years history got banned for that.

Drop the trolling shtick, mate. We have plenty of evidence that people were banned from PSN for not following TOS over the last 20 years, including creating PSN accounts while living in other countries that can't. All it takes is a quick google search.

dotnotbot

How would you know that?

Show me a single report of someones secondary account registered to foreign country get banned before.

IMO it's bullshit and spreading lies to keep the drama going. I've got like 5 secondary accounts, each registered to different country. I've used free VPNs to make purchases on my turkish account like 10+ times in the last 2 years or so. Never had an issue.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Boy it really bothers you doesnt it? Get a fucking life man.... Instead of spamming every thread covering this.
Its pathetic.
Remember when you said:
They are PS5 players who play a MS game. It doesn't make them Xbox players.
By their logic Im a PS5 player for playing Helldivers on PC, but its a Sony owned game. Yeah sounds crazy but MS thinks so.

Anyone who made this shit up must face the wall and a barrage of dualsense controllers to the head.

GTFO with this shit.
And now that it actually happened you’re working triple shift defending it, while calling others spineless?

Three

How would you know that?
Because there is no reason to. I've had a Japanese account since 2010 or something like that. You've been able to do this since forever and Steam users have gloated about using VPN to buy games in Argentina, turkey etc on steam. Nobody gets banned for that stuff otherwise you would be hearing about it from before and it would have become clear that VPNs don't work. That would have had its own uproar before.

Fabieter

Because there is no reason to. I've had a Japanese account since 2010 or something like that. You've been able to do this since forever and Steam users have gloated about using VPN to buy games in Argentina, turkey etc on steam. Nobody gets banned for that stuff otherwise you would be hearing about it from before and it would have become clear that VPNs don't work. That would have had its own uproar before.

Pretty sure this isn't even enforceable if they would try at least in the eu.

Topher

Gold Member
Show me a single report of someones secondary account registered to foreign country get banned before.

IMO it's bullshit and spreading lies to keep the drama going. I've got like 5 secondary accounts, each registered to different country. I've used free VPNs to make purchases on my turkish account like 10+ times in the last 2 years or so. Never had an issue.

I guess that's fair. Obviously we can't know for certain if something like that has happened before, but I get what you are saying.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

Plenty to choose from. Just parse through the recent news about Helldivers 2 specifically and you will find hundreds of accounts that were banned for living in a region where PSN does not exist. Again, drop your sad console war bait.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
WTF.

Dumb excuses now. You already sold your soul to thousands of websites, launchers, game accounts or whatever. Let’s not start talking about how “save” the trillion dollar companies are. The people who sold their soul to steam think they are save?

I bet nothing will happend with so called “banned accounts” at end of the month, and all these dumb fucks around here and on Reddit and X will hide again.

Last edited:

dotnotbot

Plenty to choose from. Just parse through the recent news about Helldivers 2 specifically and you will find hundreds of accounts that were banned for living in a region where PSN does not exist. Again, drop your sad console war bait.

1st page has only one result related to topic and it's this:

"No, you'll be fine"
"It won't. I'm from Asia and I'm using a US account"

etc. Every thread on this topic is similar, using multiple accounts registered to different countries has been very popular on PS, esepcially in PS3 era.

"I've had US, UK, JPN accounts for like 9 years and have had no issues."
"Honestly, I don't think anybody's ever been banned because of this. You're giving them money after all."

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member

"No, you'll be fine"

etc. Every thread on this topic is similar, using multiple accounts registered to different countries has been very popular on PS, esepcially in PS3 era.

The hilarious thing about all of this is that Sony have managed to shine a really bright spotlight on something they technically don't allow: PSN accounts in other countries.

So now they either have to enforce bans, just let the whole thing slide, or roll back this bullshit requirement.

They've highlighted a massive issue with their terms of service that could prove legally difficult in future. Good job, greedy morons!

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit

"No, you'll be fine"

"I've had US, UK, JPN accounts for like 9 years and have had no issues."
"Honestly, I don't think anybody's ever been banned because of this. You're giving them money after all."

And just further in I found 18 different statements of being banned for having an account in countries where PSN creation is not allowed. A few on GameFAQs, Reddit, and other places. That was spending less than 3 minutes reading past the first page. But as soon as you saw one thing corroborating your console warring view, you immediately dismissed it. Thanks for proving my point.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Which one of you assholes review bombed it to be lower than 69%? *shakes fist*
It's at 63 now, might as well go lower than Starfield since the 69 dream is dead.

dotnotbot

The hilarious thing about all of this is that Sony have managed to shine a really bright spotlight on something they technically don't allow: PSN accounts in other countries.

So now they either have to enforce bans, just let the whole thing slide, or roll back this bullshit requirement.

Good job, greedy morons!

To clarify, I'm not saying it's fine that some people are forced to break the ToS. It shouldn't be like that and that one guy from Arrowhed already acknowledged the problem.

bender

What time is it?
I made PSN Japan before to download Naruto Demo And free Wallpaper on PS3. Never got ban.

Really common practice but a guess we could draw a distinction here in that most of us creating additional, country-specific PSN accounts probably came from a region that was supported by PSN in the first place whereas the concern with Helldivers is countries that don't have support in the first place. Both scenarios probably break the ToS and are actionable by Sony.

dotnotbot

And just further in I found 18 different statements of being banned for having an account in countries where PSN creation is not allowed. A few on GameFAQs, Reddit, and other places. That was spending less than 3 minutes reading past the first page. But as soon as you saw one thing corroborating your console warring view, you immediately dismissed it. Thanks for proving my point.

Insted of relying on unconfirmed reports, you can do a simple excercise by yourself if you either own Helldivers 2 on Steam or any Playstation console. Register an account to some exotic country far away from your location and see if it gets banned. If people got banned so quickly it means the bans are automatic so we shouldn't have to wait too long for the results.

Last edited:

near

Gold Member
Yeah, I think what people seem to be misunderstanding is that these people who are getting banned are in regions which PSN is not supported. If you're in the UK, US, or Japan for instance, you will have no issues accessing the network, and creating multiple accounts from different regions. This is where I think Sony is enforcing ToS.

dotnotbot

And just further in I found 18 different statements of being banned for having an account in countries where PSN creation is not allowed. A few on GameFAQs, Reddit, and other places.

Please show me the links of all those 18 different statements. I genuinely don't see any in my results.

Last edited:
Top Bottom