• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a parent - KIDS ARE GROSS GERM BLOOD SACKS

This is a venting thread, I'm sure other parents can relate.
We have a 3 yr old son, who was in daycare once a week from 2021-2022 for socialization during Covid.
He is now in pre-k from September and in the past year I have had:
- Double Pink Eye
- Acute Respiratory infection ( This was worse than covid for me)
- Covid - 3 days after finally feeling well from the above infection ( I was vaccinated and had both boosters due to work)
- HFM cocksackievirus (I currently am going through this now - which is why I am angrily venting in this thread)
- Common colds (sneezing/runny nose/diarrhea/cough)

My wife has had Common colds, covid, and a sinus infection

Son has also had Croup which was an ER visit at 11PM to get a steroid injection, along with the things I have/had, random throwing up bits in the night

All this equates to medical bills on medical bills, we have pretty good insurance so really it's co-pay on co-pay

I imagine it'll get better over time, but that's it I just needed somewhere to vent, they're gross. Sneezing in your face, licking, spitting, etc etc.
I've gotten the flu shot in the hopes of preventing or minimizing the flu this winter.

God knows what goes on at school, "you wanna eat this booger I picked with my finger that I had in my ass crack?" "OK!"

I should add too, before daycare/Pre-K I would get sick maybe once a year in the winter, robably from bing out in the cold a lot to clean snow. SO I know it's school germs coming home

Last edited:

Esca

I'm going through this exact scenario right now with my nephews. Ever since he started school is been one after the other

Cyberpunkd

This is a venting thread, I'm sure other parents can relate.
We have a 3 yr old son, who was in daycare once a week from 2021-2022 for socialization during Covid.
He is now in pre-k from September and in the past year I have had:
- Double Pink Eye
- Acute Respiratory infection ( This was worse than covid for me)
- Covid - 3 days after finally feeling well from the above infection ( I was vaccinated and had both boosters due to work)
- HFM cocksackievirus (I currently am going through this now - which is why I am angrily venting in this thread)
- Common colds (sneezing/runny nose/diarrhea/cough)
So all he was spending with other kids before was one day a week? There's your answer, your kid's immune system was like Lvl1 and you made him reach Anor Londo.

Also you might want to get yourself checked - you are getting sick off microbes from a 3-year old.

My kids were in childcare full time from the moment they were 3 months old, first 2-3 winters they still catch every little shit there is, we are calling a home doctor once a week at least.

Last edited:
Yeah if I had kids I would give them severe psychological damage from withholding physical contact because I don’t want their gross germs. “Daddy never hugs me” Well blow that disgusting nose and wipe your snotty face, wash your hands, NO do it again you just barely ran some water on them, ok now daddy will give you a fist bump, buck up it’s more hygienic son.

Lasha

Hygiene at your child's day care sounds lacking. My kids have gone to nursery school from 18 months without any noticeable increase in illness. Sick kids are screened at the door by temperature, throat, and hand and foot checks every morning. The school is also quite hygienic inside.

Yep, those initial years of young kids care and starting school are just drag home whatever, pass it around, get sick a bunch, build all your immune systems and then really hardly ever get sick for the next 10 years or so (if you're lucky).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Excuse. Health care bills? What is this a sick joke ?
Rainbow Thank You GIF by Ecard Mint

My kids are awesome and we’ll usually pre covid any upcoming seasonal germs etc we would all get them and our immune system would be in tip too shape.

Last edited:

Susurrus

Yup, my son (7) brought home Hand Foot Mouth Disease and Lice from a month long summer school that he wanted to go to. The former spread to me and my son, my wife didnt get it, guess it is one of those once you get it that's it and she had it as a kid. The later, we got it before it got too bad and did something about it, my daughter got a slight amount from it, but luckily that's it, both parents didn't get it, to top it off we discovered it while we were at Disneyland.

My daughter (3) brought home covid right before the under 5 shots were approved. Like literally, the day before CDC approved them she got a fever and we tested her. I was pissed that we made it that far, and she by far had it the worst. I'm still rocking some post flu flem that she brought home a couple weeks ago. We were all vaccinated for that a month before so I think it helped bring down symptoms but we definitely still got rocked.

And on top of this, I feel like colds are constantly run amok in this house. I feel like I keep wearing masks at work these days just so I don't spread shit to coworkers.

Just wait until they hit puberty, it's the same as the 3 year old but they smell worse!

Yep, nothing like having to repeatedly tell your teenage son to manscape, wash your balls/tip/ass properly etc etc etc. Roll on deodorant son, use it liberally then go on with some cologne daily.

nemiroff

Gold Member
It wasn't that bad with my first kid, but my now 18 month old.. holy shit.. he hasn't had his airways unobstructed for four months.. one virus to another, to another, to another.. the last few months has blown my mind.

As a dad of a 5 and 8 year old.. when they hit 7 it gets better kind of. My 5 year old, ugh, she may as well professionally lick door handles because she’s very close to doing so.

HFM sucks and I had it when my son had it when he was 1. Would have rather had COVID.

Last edited:

Kilau

Hygiene at your child's day care sounds lacking. My kids have gone to nursery school from 18 months without any noticeable increase in illness. Sick kids are screened at the door by temperature, throat, and hand and foot checks every morning. The school is also quite hygienic inside.

Second this. It’s going to happen because kids are kids but that sounds extreme to me in my experience. Having a 1st grader and 3 year old in nursery school 5 days a week we all get sick maybe two times a year with RSV or some crud.

They need to step up the hygiene there.

JayK47

Is it the kids though? Or the daycare and school? No fucking way was I getting that sick that often when I was in school a million years ago. My school child seems to get something every fucking month she is in school. They don't allow for time to wash hands before or after lunch. So yeah, school policy.

SteadyEvo

I hear you OP. I choose to look on the bright side and believe that the adversity has strengthened my immunity.

Son almost killed me after bringing foot and mouth disease home from daycare.

May we all grow stronger

I hear you OP. I choose to look on the bright side and believe that the adversity has strengthened my immunity.

Son almost killed me after bringing foot and mouth disease home from daycare.

May we all grow stronger
Itchy as shit right now. Initially I thought it was poison something from stacking wood, but it's now on ny soles and back.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
For those five minutes of sex you had you now have minimum 18 years of this shit.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Sick kids are screened at the door by temperature, throat, and hand and foot checks every morning.
Sounds awesome - childcare has less kids 100% of the time but parents still pay full price.
My childcare is normal - kids get sick, big deal. Meanwhile parents have to work, that’s the purpose of childcare.

Last edited:

Lasha

Sounds awesome - childcare has less kids 100% of the time but parents still pay full price.
My childcare is normal - kids get sick, big deal. Meanwhile parents have to work, that’s the purpose of childcare.

Why would you pay for childcare based on the number of people present? I pay based on the ratio of teachers to kids with a maximum ratio of 1-15. Fewer kids means your child gets more attention without the price increasing.

I don't have to work if my kid is sick. A child's medical certificate is sufficient for me to be excused from work if I can't make other arrangements. It's also nationally regulated.

dem

The first couple of years the kid is in daycare.. its pretty bad. My kid came home with everything.

I keep my kid home if he's actually sick... but I'm not keeping a kid home because he has the sniffles.

Last edited:

Irobot82

The first couple of years the kid is in daycare.. its pretty bad. My kid came home with everything.

I keep my kid home if he's actually sick... but I'm not keeping a kid home because he has the sniffles.
I always viewed it has helping the kids to create a better immune system. Interaction with other kids, other kids kid gunk. It's healthy I think.

Max_Po

Banned
I have a 4 1/2 year old... she is suppose to be in school but I am going to home school her.

I took her to day care and a 2 year old was walking and pissed on the floor...

brought her home.

winjer

Gold Member
I don't have kids. But I have nephews.
The one time I got sick in the last 3 years or so, was after one of my nephews visited.

Amory

our 1 year old started at daycare last month and we've all been sick like twice already. bad sicknesses too, like stomach bugs and really bad colds.

it sucks

I have a 4 1/2 year old... she is suppose to be in school but I am going to home school her.

I took her to day care and a 2 year old was walking and pissed on the floor...

brought her home.

Just one parental opinion here, not trying to be a dick. My take is -

Forget the cotton wool and helicopters around your kid(s). They're tough as nails and just get stronger from their childhood being out and about mixing it all up. The pandemic has created huge mental health issues with ill equipped support systems, this will likely last generations. Personally, I think kids growing up now are going to have a lot tougher time socially as they grow up. Devices and tech etc have already seen to a massive decrease in physical social interaction. The pandemic came along and wiped the floor with tech impacts. I'd be giving my kid(s) every opportunity to interact and be social as I could while they're young.

Kids are going to piss, moan, shit, destroy, mishandle, lose, step on, misplace, fight with and all that all the time. Kids puke on kids on the school bus or back of your car, kids bully kids in toilets etc etc. You're not going to prepare a kid for the real world by not teaching them to handle things themselves. Simply teach your kid to go get the teacher/carer when they spot a mess or to assist the other kid and help save embarrassment etc. Now at day care their ratio is a little different to your 1 on 1 at home, accidents happen. Kids happen.

I'm just trying to say, you're not going to avoid a little piss on the floor with kids mate. Case in point my daughter when she could walk would go for the toilet fresheners stuck on the side, she'd try to eat them, and we'd stop her and teach her better. It doesn't matter if they're at school, day care, playground or home etc. I've seen kids just stand there and shit their pants right in front of you because they didn't want to say something etc.

Just chat to your day carer/teacher, they've seen and been through some shit. There is also a massive variance of quality with day care/schools, just like home-schooling too.

Top Bottom