• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3 Game Informer Details

Madridy

Worked on AC Revelations:

• Ubisoft Montréal
  • Ubisoft Québec
  • Ubisoft Partner Studios
  • Ubisoft Annecy
  • Ubisoft Bucharest
  • Ubisoft Massive
  • Ubisoft Singapore
  • Team Character Shanghai
  • Japanese Version by Ubisoft K.K.
  • Korean Version by Ubisoft South Korea

http://www.mobygames.com/game/xbox360/assassins-creed-revelations/credits

Holy shit, How is this even possible...

Ubisoft had a medium size team working on AC2 since 2009, especially on the new engine and gameplay concepts. They more than likely had all of the story and the gameplay around it ready when AC:B was finished, and then the the AC teams rejoined to do the actual push towards a final content delivery.
I guess Ubisoft has some great managers, for sure, because having to make sure a game actually works when the people working on it are in 6 different countries and almost as much timezones seems utterly incredible to me.

Yeah, Just look at what Computer posted: Must be a nightmare for the directors/producers/managers to coordinate these teams on that kind of scale and deadlines.

That is either really short sighted and stupid from Ubisoft (and it did kinda show with the drop of quality of ACR) or they're is so confident in their teams that they can do this.

Tobor

those numbers mean something. the other ones were expansions

I wish they had been priced as expansions. They should look at how Rockstar handled the GTA expansions next time.

Super pumped for AC3 though. Perfect setting.

Guanoape

Neo Member
I absolutely love the setting. I only played AC1 & 2 though, so I guess I'll just wiki the story for Brotherhood & Revelations and jump straight into AC3 in October.

Vandiger

Sounds pretty amazing. A true AC sequel, I hope they can pull it off. Probably make yearly spin-offs but thats the sign of the times.

Patrick Plourde explained the dev cycle at a previous GDC event. Basically their core design team has a rigorous spreadsheet standard for deliverables (think excel files with rows of things like: "Ezio moves left at a speed of <1.5m/s>". The number is variable but the programming goal is so exact that it works like a checklist.) Preproduction is exhaustive at trying to nail these all down. Content and spec is then parted out to the different studios. Annecy, Singapore, Montreal all have big roles in what gets done.

There'a still a ton of management/coordination/stress to deal with, but the reason why it works is because the specifics are nailed down. Sort of like a film production, each cog in the machine needs to be exceedingly well prepped, otherwise you get stuck with typical gamedev outsourcing problems.
Thanks for the info, that's fascinating. I don't work in the video game industry and don't intend to, but love to know that kind of stuff.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I wish they had been priced as expansions. They should look at how Rockstar handled the GTA expansions next time.
The GTA4 expansions reused Liberty City, the Assassin Creed games came with completely new ones. The asset difference is staggering so it doesn't seem a fair comparison.

I absolutely love the setting. I only played AC1 & 2 though, so I guess I'll just wiki the story for Brotherhood & Revelations and jump straight into AC3 in October.
What's neat/great is AC2 left off in the back of that van if you remember and ACR ends arriving at the setup destination for 3 in said van.

They've had a couple stop offs but it'a cool how the mainline games can link without having to explain anything.

If you want to make an argument for a game set way in the future, then I'd be open to that. The idea of a Blade Runner-esque sci-fi Assassin's Creed could be pretty cool, but modern day? No thanks.

At the end of AC3 we pull back from Desmond in the Animus to....wait for it....ANOTHER Animus where we realize that we've been playing a descendant of Desmond reliving the memories of Desmond reliving the memories of his ancestors!

BWAHHHH!!

The person gets out of the Animus, leaves the dark room, jumps out the window in to this Bladerunner-esque super future....and it's revealed that it's a WOMAN!! We've been playing a woman the whole time!!!

BWAHHHH!!!!

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Thanks for putting this together, Nirolak. Damn, those were some good as fuck scans lol, I didn't even notice.

Details sound very good so far, it really looks like controlling Connor will feel like an upgraded experience. Weather system = awyeah, and thank you based god for fast travel (although we sort of already had it with the sewers but they must mean something more seamless). I wasn't expecting any more den defense, it felt like a weird experiment that didn't really fit. DNW anything like the FP tetris though, but I'll live (it was weak but still better than the glyph puzzles which got grating over time and I started using a faq for all of them).

Interested about the new in-game economy and I hope the new platforming levels are as breathtaking as Galata Tower was. I'm on the fence about the XP system, I didn't care for 100% sync in the missions and I don't want to feel I'm missing out on upgrades if I decide to skip that. We'll see.

alf717

Wow I'm hyped up for this game now. The game looks on par with what we have seen already but I think the setting change will be worth it.

I'm pretty excited for this from reading the description. I haven't played Brotherhood or Revelations and honestly don't really feel compelled to. By the end of AC2 I was a little tired of everything and BroRev feel like expansions, while this really feels like it's adding new things and is more interesting.

CrazyDude

At the end of AC3 we pull back from Desmond in the Animus to....wait for it....ANOTHER Animus where we realize that we've been playing a descendant of Desmond reliving the memories of Desmond reliving the memories of his ancestors!

BWAHHHH!!

The person gets out of the Animus, leaves the dark room, jumps out the window in to this Bladerunner-esque super future....and it's revealed that it's a WOMAN!! We've been playing a woman the whole time!!!

BWAHHHH!!!!

And she's black.

Holy shit, How is this even possible...

Yeah, Just look at what Computer posted: Must be a nightmare for the directors/producers/managers to coordinate these teams on that kind of scale and deadlines.

That is either really short sighted and stupid from Ubisoft (and it did kinda show with the drop of quality of ACR) or they're is so confident in their teams that they can do this.
Oh, and in case that wasn't clear: Ubisoft Annecy is in France and Ubisoft Massive (now simply called 'Massive') is in Sweden (they worked on Far Cry 3).

KorrZ

Revamped engine, 1000's of new animations, climbing up trees and mountains....dual wielding a knife and tomahawk. Jesus I feel like I'm going to die waiting for this game now, I almost wish I hadn't read this stuff because this game literally sounds perfect to me. Fuck fuck fuck, I'm sorry I ever doubted you Ubisoft and my beloved Assassin's Creed. I need this game now.

BWAHHHH!!

BWAHHHH!!!!
I've thought of the animus within the animus, but Ubi has been consistent with not having gamey HUDs and effects when Desmond's on screen.

Of course they can retrofit in some sort of "future animus has no HUD" type of deal....

BWAHHHH!!

BWAHHHH!!!!

We must go deeper.

Madridy

Patrick Plourde explained the dev cycle at a previous GDC event. Basically their core design team has a rigorous spreadsheet standard for deliverables (think excel files with rows of things like: "Ezio moves left at a speed of <1.5m/s>". The number is variable but the programming goal is so exact that it works like a checklist.) Preproduction is exhaustive at trying to nail these all down. Content and spec is then parted out to the different studios. Annecy, Singapore, Montreal all have big roles in what gets done.

There'a still a ton of management/coordination/stress to deal with, but the reason why it works is because the specifics are nailed down. Sort of like a film production, each cog in the machine needs to be exceedingly well prepped, otherwise you get stuck with typical gamedev outsourcing problems.

Thanks, This is amazing. Still I wouldn't want to be on the management team. :p

Thanks for the info, that's fascinating. I don't work in the video game industry and don't intend to, but love to know that kind of stuff.

It's really interesting to me and I work in the industry too; I mean it's clearly the biggest combined team project I've ever heard of in games. :)

It's worth noting that Montreal is still the "control" studio. It's the place where all of the content gets inserted into the game, where they eventually bind it together, play it from beginning to end, and perform all of the design triage that is inevitably needed in development.

The sister studios are generally "trained up" to become more and more useful in the process, so for example Singapore originally only had DLC type stuff to do, but that role upgraded with each project (Some original team staff moving over also helped build that bridge.) Some of those studios on the list posted don't have nearly as much to do as others - one studio might handle DLC, or multiplayer, or smaller stuff like bits of content, animations, and so on.

EDIT: Where quality may have perceived to have suffered in the AC2 trilogy is more than likely due to time constraints, not studio-sharing. When you have a project this big, most of the design is meant to be "first shot", which is to say iteration is minimal. You build it, you tweak it, you fix it if there's a glaring hole, but redesign is almost out of the question. With more time major changes can be made, but on short two-year projects your room to move on that end is severely restricted.

Ready. Give it to me now. Climbing trees and cliffs?

35cipgi.gif

What was Shaq Recording that he Wow'ed it?

Setero

Neo Member
A few thoughts.

The new traversal system sounds awesome, really looking forward to seeing how stealthy it is. I'm also liking the idea of changing seasons. Why are they adding more platforming sections? Did anyone enjoy those. The hunting system reminds of RDR which honestly got a bit boring.

Madridy

BWAHHHH!!

BWAHHHH!!!!

Can't wait for AC 2020!!

It's really interesting to me and I work in the industry too; I mean it's clearly the biggest combined team project I've ever heard of in games. :)
What about Rockstar? They said GTA5 was their biggest project ever or something (and I think RDR already had a huge team/budget)

Claude

Catalina's bitch
2Zhnl.gif

I was skeptical at first, but after reading that, I am ready.

I haven't been this excited for a Assassin's Creed game since AC2.

What about Rockstar? They said GTA5 was their biggest project ever or something (and I think RDR already had a huge team/budget)

I haven't heard any Rockstar specifics, so it's hard to say, but what I've previously heard about them is they tend to be more insular than Ubisoft's massively distributed approach. It's possible they have a similar amount of manpower but I'd be really surprised if they had anywhere near as many studios doing core game development on one title.

I haven't heard any Rockstar specifics, so it's hard to say, but what I've previously heard about them is they tend to be more insular than Ubisoft's massively distributed approach. It's possible they have a similar amount of manpower but I'd be really surprised if they had anywhere near as many studios doing core game development on one title.
True enough. I haven't heard of any company dividing its projects the way Ubi does.

Top Bottom