• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed 3: Revolutionary War history and Timeline Discussion

Akainu

Two inclusions I think will make it in: Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben and Lafayette. Though from German and France respectively, they were famous generals of the Continental Army. Steuben trained the soldiers at Valley Forge and was Washington's chief of staff, while Lafayette led the French soldiers in the war. You gotta believe Ubisoft will shove a French guy in there somewhere!
The way you say it makes you seem bitter. Like you think the man doesn't deserve to be in it.

How much are they going to play up Washington? From what I've read his war record is pretty average.

Amir0x

Banned
The way you say it makes you seem bitter. Like you think the man doesn't deserve to be in it.

How much are they going to play up Washington? From what I've read his war record is pretty average.

undoubtedly he'll be the primary go-to. He's all over America in this timeline Ubisoft has chosen. His war record is certainly been mythologized at this point, and from the trailer it seems like they're going to go with the myth instead of the man. But that's OK, at least we can get a sense of the period with the atmospheric flourishes Ubisoft is sure to nail. They seem to do that right for whatever other faults they have with their history.

rdrr gnr

Aha, that does sound like it could be an interesting approach. And Paine is such that you could probably change some aspects of where he was without causing too many people to shrug, considering his somewhat lesser role in the realm of American History relative to the other founding fathers.
His lesser role, as in, the lack of attention he gets; or, his lesser role, as in, an objective contributor to the Revolution? Don't buy the hype, man. His fucking face should be on Mt. Rushmore and on our currency and in all our textbooks. He may have never held major office or led troops on the battlefield, but he was a master strategist in his own right.

I am totally impartial. Absolutely no bias, whatsoever. Yup. None.

Edit: The blurbs in the OP are solid, but there is much you can add for Paine. During his stay in France, he was able to procure millions of dollars in grants and loans from the French government to aid the American cause. In fact, he had an ardent fan base in France as he was a fervent supporter of the French Revolution. There are even stories of Paine's encounters with Napoleon; friends at first, Paine was quick to condemn Bonaparte's actions soon after. Most people reference Common Sense a polarizing agent in the war, however, CS was much more than that. It marked a shift in political discourse that could be considered uniquely American at the time: it made the positions of the average person worthy of consideration. It was written by an elite for the non-elite. It alluded to the Bible over lesser known works of Latin -- it was just brilliant. Not to mention the less impactful but equally as profound Age of Reason and Rights of Man. You don't realize how many decades ahead of the curve Paine's thinking was until you read The Age of Reason. All this compounded with how he was treated upon death and his notoriety -- or lack thereof -- in contemporary political discourse leads me to champion his name as often as I can.

Bleh.

I'm tired and frustrated. My rambling is probably a poor combination of actual history, Wikipedia, jingoism, and pizza. Whoever ends up doing the OP (iNvidious01 is not perma'd, right?) needs to make it a collaborative effort. I think a history refresher course to supplement the OP would be brilliant. Like, the Jefferson thing in the OP, I was unaware that he was so far removed from all the action. Nevertheless, Ubisoft needs to have him in there. As much as it would kill me to not see Paine get some recognition, not having Jefferson be a major player would be absolutely ridiculous. This is ultimately a work of fiction and should function as such. Smudge the history all you want Ubisoft: I'll take Jefferson railing the Queen and not returning her letters than no Jefferson at all.

tino

Banned
Yes. Elementary school history textbooks.
No I don't want to read history. I want to read entertaining novel based on stories in that era. Something like the "The Other Boleyn girl" or the "Da Vinci Code"

If you pay attention to this thread, the people who actually care about actual American Revolution Histoty are less than a handful.

rukland

You know the first post is missing Henry Knox, including Greene but not him kinda seems a little strange. Seeing as with out Knox the siege at Boston might not have really ever ended.

Top Bottom