• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate Review Thread

poodaddy

In my book, usually the games with mixed receptions are the good ones, so.. nice.

Yeah this is true fairly often. I've got the game coming to me as part of my recent laptop purchase, and I was planning to sell the Uplay redemption code but now these reviews are making me think about keeping it. I'm not into the whole pain fetish thing so I don't typically fuck around with Ubisoft games on PC, (Uplay.....why do you like hurting me?), so I may still sell the PC code and pick the game up on PS4 or Xbone at some point.

i know how you read most of it :p

check mark = pros
x = cons
gray box with ? = ?

the only gray in your gif is for "should you play this game? not yet" which doesn't correlate with "the best entry in years..." anyhow i get the gist of the review. its positive.
I mean, you really can't figure this out? I mentioned that the box was rearranged, that should have clued you in.

Answer:
The gray ? box correlates with the pinkish box that says "a summary of our impressions, and why we think the game merits the recommendation on the left" [or in the new format "up above."]

RedAssedApe

Banned
Could have just said they changed the colors and gray meant something else now. Spoiler tags. Sheesh. 😭
So what color is used for "not yet" now. I couldn't find any recent reviews for games kotaku didn't want me to play. Lol

Honestly, I was curious to see how poor and broken it could be after Unity. Seems unexpectedly good though which I'm delighted with, as I'm always up for a good Assassins Creed

Get the feeling that many people were desperate for it to be unanimously regarded as shite

When that doesn't happen, corrupt reviewers is the easiest thing to redirect your vitriol towards, which is handy as it allows you to carry on in your conviction that the game is crap as well

Harmen

Definitely interested in this game. Skipped IV, Unity and Rouge, but this looks pretty great, which is totally against my expectations.

stalker

I mean, you really can't figure this out? I mentioned that the box was rearranged, that should have clued you in.

Answer:
The gray ? box correlates with the pinkish box that says "a summary of our impressions, and why we think the game merits the recommendation on the left" [or in the new format "up above."]

Don't be so suprised, I also find it extremely unclear. It read to me as if they do not know if it is the best entry in years, which I know is not what they want to say.

V3rt1go

I didn't play half of Unity, felt bland and not so entertaining. In Black Flag I just couldn´t stand the time spent on sea, didn't even finish it.

Syndicate, on the other hand, grabbed from the very first moment. Finished it and loved it.

Currently searching for treasures and 100% sync.

I really feel that it's fun and the atmosphere is very well done.

There are some bugs but nothing that will make you not want to play it.

Still, the IA is so bad it will make you laugh sometimes.

Henkka

Banned
I'm wary of these scores.

A "9" for Assassin's Creed now will be a "7" in three months.

Looking at you, Arkham Knight.

That's usually true for games that have massive hype, like Arkham Knight or GTA4. This game had anti-hype.

Pretty surprising. Video review looks fun

but holy fuck. Stay away from the IGN video review. It spoils a shit ton of assassinations and even talks about the ending.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just do not understand how the reviews are still complaining about the same repetitive gameplay the series is known for, same monotonous missions, same poor AI, and a bad ending to top it off, but still laying down them 9's.

omonimo

Banned
Well interesting reviews. But 900p on ps4 really hurts my nerve if it's the same on xbone. They are the only who persist with this bullshit parity.

Not sure why people are surprised. Unity had the same thing happen and that game was pretty bad all things considered (bugs, framerate, bullshit app chests, mediocre story/gameplay) and outlets still gave it 80's 90's and even a perfect 100. All Ubi really had to do was release a game that ran well without as many bugs and stupid bullshit and wallah, a pretty decent 8/10 game. I still think people who have AC fatigue will want to skip it but if you are craving an open world collectathon in Victorian London, you're in luck.

Agreed to a certain extent. I mean Unity was a semi train wreck but still got great/above average scores. Yes, the bugs, companion app bs and laughable story brought things down but the gameplay and black box missions were good.

Now people are praising a 78 metacritic when Ubi didn't have to do much to get there and create as you say a decent game.

In any case I usually get the thirst for an Assassins Creed every year at launch (I'm part of the problem) so I plan to pick this up though once it goes down in price for PS4.

Yeah, despite people saying stuff is pared back compared to Unity I am not seeing that much of it. Personally, I think the improved LoD is the biggest deal visually. I very rarely seen it as jarring as in Unity. Otherwise, better performance seems to be there. 900p is a bit pants, especially if it is the same as Xbone.

All in all, seems better than Unity. I personally think Unity should have been hammered harder in reviews. Reviewers shouldn't rewarding devs for vastly unfinished products.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah, despite people saying stuff is pared back compared to Unity I am not seeing that much of it. Personally, I think the improved LoD is the biggest deal visually. I very rarely seen it as jarring as in Unity. Otherwise, better performance seems to be there. 900p is a bit pants, especially if it is the same as Xbone.

All in all, seems better than Unity. I personally think Unity should have been hammered harder in reviews. Reviewers shouldn't rewarding devs for vastly unfinished products.

The lesser NPCs, lower lighting quality, and shadow-less clouds seemed to make a world of difference like people were saying they should have done with Unity. Even if it was a little bit less.

Fliesen

speaking of 900p

does 900p look better on a display that has a native resolution of 4k / UHD compared to 1080p? - asking because i ordered a 4K TV yesterday.

sure, the resolution still doesn't have a clean scaling ratio (like 1080p -> 4k would), but there's plenty more sub-pixels which would mean slightly less blurriness, right? RIGHT?! :O

anyone got experience / further reading on this?

BriGuy

The game is reviewing better than I thought, but it's not enough to get me interested again. I've never been as burnt out on a series as I am with AC. Spread these things out more, Ubi.

jtar86

Picking this up tomorrow. Wanted to wait for the reviews. I gameflyed Unity and liked it for the first 5-10 hours but that game got old real quick and the glitches didn't help. This one looks a lot better than Unity from all the play troughs I've watched. Also some of thepost here are straight up Gamefaqs level. Is hating Assassins Creed the new hating COD?

glaurung

Is hating Assassins Creed the new hating COD?
I think CoD hating meant that people would post vile shit and then still play it.

Creed hating post-Unity is more akin to not having played Unity, not going to play Syndicate, not really looking at any reviews or videos, but still staunchly attacking the game on boards and other social media.

Just picked up my Rooks box for PS4. The map is nice.

Picking this up tomorrow. Wanted to wait for the reviews. I gameflyed Unity and liked it for the first 5-10 hours but that game got old real quick and the glitches didn't help. This one looks a lot better than Unity from all the play troughs I've watched. Also some of thepost here are straight up Gamefaqs level. Is hating Assassins Creed the new hating COD?

Ass Creed hate has been around for a long time. Its not unwarranted imo. If you are releasing one every year with little to no innovation and after that fiasco of Unity, I can see why people would hate.

Fliesen

My exact question.

well, i suppose they're rating the game for its own merits.

There's people who haven't played a single Assassin's creed game before, you know?

As long as they point out that there's not much deviation from the formula, i don't see why a game that, by its own merits, would be rated a 7 or an 8, should be rated as a 6 or a 7.

"Assassin's creed fatigue" is something so subjective and something many people don't experience.

There's people who haven't played a single Assassin's creed game before, you know?

As long as they point out that there's not much deviation from the formula, i don't see why a game that, by its own merits, would be rated a 7 or an 8, should be rated as a 6 or a 7.

"Assassin's creed fatigue" is something so subjective and something many people don't experience.

why the special consideration for this game?
most games dont get rated like that ever....

Fliesen

why the special consideration for this game?
most games dont get rated like that ever....

wait, how so?

are you saying, most games do get a lower rating than they would get if they were being looked at isolated from previous iterations of the series?

Are you saying Syndicate is being downrated by some outlets? or are you saying it should be downrated by more outlets (i.e. it shouldn't be rated an 8 or a 9)?

SpotAnime

I'm probably the only person on the planet who'll miss the app for placing waypoints with my iPad.

I loved playing Unity HUDless and never having to open the map. It's a shame but I guess if it helps performance or less bugs I'll live without the app.

Damn that sounds cool. I never got around to playing Unity, but I might be giving it a try using the app while I wait for the 19th for the PC version of Syndicate.

Wish there was a good Steam sale for Unity PC though as I have it on Xbox One. Would love to give it a workout with my R9 390. Dat 8GB RAM...

Chobel

Digital Foundry Performance Analysis: Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Overall, it feels like Syndicate is a very positive step in the right direction. Stability isn't perfect, but there's no longer the sense that bugs, glitches and oddities actively intrude on the gameplay experience. Meanwhile, performance isn't up to the rock-solid frame-rates achieved by Assassin's Creed 4: Black Flag, but it's certainly good enough - especially on PlayStation 4. And we are reaping the benefits of an engine designed for the current generation of console hardware, as opposed to the moderately enhanced last-gen technology we saw in Black Flag. Conceptually and technologically, perhaps the raw ambition of Unity is missing, but Ubisoft has doubled down on gameplay and stability. Combine that with perhaps the most iconic location seen in the series to date, and we'd suggest that given the brutal time-constraints in producing these titles, Ubisoft has done well here and it feels like the series is back on track.

Peru

Yeah, pretty much.
Along with boot camps, it is hard to trust just one site in general. That is why just like movies the average conveys a game more. Gamespot's 9 is just as valid as Telegraph's 4, despite what people say.

Average really doesn't convey the quality of a movie. Or game. Look at movies that are a little different from the norm: Some will love them, some will hate them, and the average suggests it's just "meh" which probably very few people think.

Bumhead

Banned

I think this is a fair comment.

As someone who has only played 2 of the games, fatigue isn't the problem for me, and any reviews that mention it are just going over my head. I think it's worth mentioning when stale elements of games in their 9th iteration crop up, but I still think each installment should primarily be judged on its owt merits. Some of the lower scores for Syndicate seem to come from a position of fatigue, and while potentially valid, isn't going to be applicable for all. Do Videogamer.com (as an example) think this is a 5/10 game, or more a 5/10 game in the context of being the 9th version in a series?

I'm just interested in if this game is good or not. The 2 Assassins Creed games I have played - the first and ACIII - absolutely were not, but I'm seeing stuff in these reviews that makes me think I'd have a better time with this one.

Very true.
I have watched some reviews and i can say that while it looks good, i feel no desire whatsoever to play it. And that's just my personal fatigue with the gameplay and its mechanics.

heringer

Did I hear right, this game has 24hr day cycle?

Yes. Syndicate uses a dynamic lightining system instead of the baked lightning of Unity. Which is one of the reasons the game doesn't look as sharp as it's predecessor in some ways.

You probably won't see those gorgeous inside shots from Unity, but the game gives a different kind of beauty when playing it. Some will like it, some will not.

Fliesen

Very true.
I have watched some reviews and i can say that while it looks good, i feel no desire whatsoever to play it. And that's just my personal fatigue with the gameplay and its mechanics.

i'm quite the opposite. I haven't played an AC game since 2. ... well, and Shadow of Mordor, if that counts

And i'm really intrigued by the setting (would have loved to give The Order 1886 a shot, if it hadn't be for the abysmal value proposition) as well as the characters.

Top Bottom