• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ASTRO BOT | State of Play Reveal Trailer

Borowski_1

I want people to really understand something.....

Astro Bot (VR) Rescue Mission is quite possibly the best platformer since Mario 64 and it is possibly better than it.

As in....the best platformer ever made.

No one cares if you like VR or not, but this is absolutely crushing to those who do.

This is the equivalent of them making Bloodborne 2 a Quest 3 exclusive. Take that in.

Yes, we all understand why it's not VR only, but that doesn't change how fucking disappointing this is.

Dont get it twisted, this is going to be an absolutely an amazing game and possibly the GOTY for 2024, but as good as that is.....it would have been better in VR (with VR being at the core of the mechanics) and we all know this.

You don't understand, because you just don't know.

I'm buying it 100% and this will probably be my GOTY, but I can't pretend I'm not extremely disappointed by this and that fucking sucks.
I understand

diffusionx

Gold Member
I want people to really understand something.....

Astro Bot (VR) Rescue Mission is quite possibly the best platformer since Mario 64 and it is possibly better than it.

As in....the best platformer ever made.

No one cares if you like VR or not, but this is absolutely crushing to those who do.

This is the equivalent of them making Bloodborne 2 a Quest 3 exclusive. Take that in.

Yes, we all understand why it's not VR only, but that doesn't change how fucking disappointing this is.

Dont get it twisted, this is going to be an absolutely an amazing game and possibly the GOTY for 2024, but as good as that is.....it would have been better in VR (with VR being at the core of the mechanics) and we all know this.

You don't understand, because you just don't know.

I'm buying it 100% and this will probably be my GOTY, but I can't pretend I'm not extremely disappointed by this and that fucking sucks.
Of all the games to port to PC, this is the one that they should have done.

Ok this looks way better than I would have expected, and I played the original so I had high expectations. This looks really, really good.

Also refreshing to see Sony finally understand how to cross brand their properties across games. Love the Cloud Astro Boy tucked in the back of that spaceship shot.

Robb

Gold Member
It looks literally nothing like a Mario game, or a Zelda game, or any other Nintendo game
Looks extremely ‘Mario’ to me. All of the bosses they showed could have been (and probably are, mechanically) out of the 3D Mario games. They even have their own version of ‘Goombas’ wearing those swim rings in the beach levels.

Not to mention their version of the Mega Mushroom. Looked straight out of 3D World. And the grappling stuff that you had with Yoshi in Galaxy 2.

I could probably go on forever about the similarities just in this one trailer. It looks absolutely amazing!

Last edited:
I didnt hate it. Any platformer is good news. But honestly I expected a lot more after all the hype. The art style isnt great. Flying systems, controllers and robot Kratos is barely above PS All Stars art design. I dont need AAA graphics either but I just thought it would be more impressive visually. I bet Mario looks vastly superior to this on Switch 2.

Maybe you should go play some gamepass?

Celine

How is it possible this isn't a PS VR2 title? Sometimes I can't understand this developers. Astrobot on PSVR was one of the best experiences I've ever had with a videogame even with that washed out image. Astrobot PSVR2 is a no brainer for me...
Because PSVR2 was Vita'ed.
Sony doesn't care for who purchased PSVR2, they are quickly sweeping it under the carpet pretending it never existed.

PeteBull

Trailer looked great. I'm in as long as it's not launching with an 80€ pricetag.
U can get shitty gamepass titles for free or quality fun game priced properly, hell u can even wait few weeks/months for discount, my point is- quality of the game is always king, price lowers with time anyways xD

TheTony316

It's funny how a former subsidiary of Japan Studio killed most of Sony's AAA studios with just one game. I hope people actually buy this. Team Asobi needs to be protected at all costs.

Physical cover revealed.
1nXTXMD.jpeg
The cover looks dope! Gonna grab the physical day one.

Sw0pDiller

This type of stuff should be the bread and butter of the catalogue instead of the exception.
no thanks, dont get me wrong i liked astro bot and looking forward tot this second part... i would not miss games like GOW, elden ring and resident evil stuff. it's great to have options.

Markio128

Gold Member
Astro’s Playroom had one of the most enjoyable Platinum trophies to get, at least for me, and was as close as can be to what a Nintendo game would be like with Trophies of some description.

And Team Asobi are the closest Sony have to a Nintendo level studio. You can guarantee that there’ll be some really clever, and creative levels in the game.

I really hope this game is a massive hit, and Sony expand the studio.

Rudius

For as good as the game was in VR, it was entirely niche as millions of people didnt even know it existed. They can still release a VR version later, but it would be foolish not to release a flat screen version first, because now thats whats its most popular for.

secret smell GIF
And not even say it will come to PSVR2? I'm not buying that, literally.

LimanimaPT

Looks extremely ‘Mario’ to me. All of the bosses they showed could have been (and probably are, mechanically) out of the 3D Mario games. They even have their own version of ‘Goombas’ wearing those swim rings in the beach levels.

Not to mention their version of the Mega Mushroom. Looked straight out of 3D World. And the grappling stuff that you had with Yoshi in Galaxy 2.

I could probably go on forever about the similarities just in this one trailer. It looks absolutely amazing!
This is actually good. We get a taste of SM on a PS.

midnightAI

While yes, there are some similarities, a lot of what you mention has been like this since the PS4 Astro Rescue Mission game so its not new to this game, but of course they are copying some Mario stuff, if you are making a 3D cartoon platformer why not take inspiration from the best 3D cartoon platformer out there currently (and improve on it if you can). We know exactly what to expect due to the PS5 freebie pack in game which I presume you haven't played? if not try and play it somewhere, it is awesome and this just looks more of the same but bigger, much bigger, which is no bad thing(the pack in game is relatively short).

NahaNago

I didnt hate it. Any platformer is good news. But honestly I expected a lot more after all the hype. The art style isnt great. Flying systems, controllers and robot Kratos is barely above PS All Stars art design. I dont need AAA graphics either but I just thought it would be more impressive visually. I bet Mario looks vastly superior to this on Switch 2.
I kind of agree that it wasn't as impressive as I would have liked plus the trailer was kind of terrible. Of course, Mario Switch 2 will look vastly superior.

Robb

Gold Member
but of course they are copying some Mario stuff, if you are making a 3D cartoon platformer why not take inspiration from the best 3D cartoon platformer out there currently (and improve on it if you can).
Oh, I in no way meant for any of what I’ve written to be taken as a negative. It’s more like - please copy the development philosophy of 3D Mario as much as you can because it’ll likely turn out to be one of the best platformers on the market if you do.

I see this as nothing but a very very good thing. And they seem to be nailing it.

I don’t own a Ps5 but I have actually had the pleasure to play Astros Playroom for a bit and it was an absolute joy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom