• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Astro Bot Will Get Free Post-Launch DLC

Draugoth

Gold Member
images

PlayStation’s upcoming platforming celebration, Astro Bot, is already launching with roughly 80 levels.

But there will be even more on the way later, via free DLC. Speaking to IGN, Team Asobi studio head Nicolas Doucet told us there were plans for eventual free DLC for Astro Bot, coming “soon” after launch. He says it will be based around adding more challenge levels to the game – shorter levels focused on specific platforming challenges – but that won’t be the only component.

Source

Last edited:

tmlDan

This game is probably going to do amazingly well, become a beloved fan favorite, and then Sony will drop and leave it like Bloodborne.
not at all, they own the studio that makes it. Not even closer to BB.

PS keeps studios that do well, commercially.

Sintoid

Everything about this game is a gamer's dream
Great announcement
Launch date after a few months
Pure gameplay classical style with modern graphics and 60 fps
Right price
No microshits
Physical edition with awesome poster
Update to the free prequel to boost hype
Free DLC

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
This is honestly the only new game I'm looking forward to this year.

Everything else I'm kinda expecting here and there but nothing else jumps out really. It's sad to me..

Full version for the lazy who don't want to click the tweet:

Astro Bot | New Hands-On Previews and Details

"Primed to be a big hit", "feels like a 3D Mario game"

"Tight, responsive experience", Astro still has his trusty jump, attack, charged spin attack, and versatile laser-hover ability

Difficulty Modes: Easy, Normal, Hard (hard will "challenge seasoned platforming fans")

Overworld consists of multiple galactic maps, each full of colorful planets with their own unique levels

Some planets are harder than others. Hovering over them reveals their difficulty level

Completing some 'hard' levels unlocks other, new hard levels

80 levels to visit packed with hidden bots, puzzle pieces, boss battles, goofy power-ups, coins, and challenges that lead to other secrets

Levels are full of fun, interactive bits: bouncy inflatable balls roll down a waterslide with you, gooey paint buckets, shiny bolts, and colorful spray paint cans all with detailed physics

Sky Garden Level: Consists of multiple connected floating islands giving a vision of idyllic paradise with pink robo-flamingos in blue ponds, cherry blossom trees whose petals float across the ponds

Swinging Sentries Level: "Hard" level featuring multiple platforms with enemies swinging spiky ball-and-chain weapons

Slowdown Showdown Level: Astro throws an hourglass item to slow down enemies, platforms, and environmental hazards "that move impossibly fast"

Construction Derby Level: A miles-high construction site with cranes, beams, scaffolding, etc. A "sumo-bot" guards a helipad halfway through the level, forcing Astro to target his vulnerable backside

Astro can collect a new item that pumps him full of air in order to reach new hidden heights

Astro can now explore underwater for hidden bots and treasures

Exploration is rewarded - for example, an underwater area concealed by a bubble holds a secret bot whose themed after Rivet (Ratchet & Clank) surrounded by enemies you have to defeat in order to rescue

New ability: A robotic dog partner clings to Astro’s back, granting a jet-powered boost that serves as both an attack and air boost

Tons of PlayStation themed bots to discover - a game menu indicates how many bots are hidden throughout each stage, and PlayStation symbols mark hidden cameo bots

DualSense haptics and adaptive trigger implementation as great as Astro's Playroom was

Wako Tako: Big octopus boss battle seen in the trailer - Astro lands on a shipwreck and gets a new item: "extend-o frog boxing gloves". These allow Astro to punch from far away, swing across grapple points, do slingshot style attacks, etc. Boss fight has many "twists and turns"

Mythical companions join Astro's journey, like discovering bot versions of Kratos and Atreus under a capsized floating canoe

Jinzo Prime

images

PlayStation’s upcoming platforming celebration, Astro Bot, is already launching with roughly 80 levels.

But there will be even more on the way later, via free DLC. Speaking to IGN, Team Asobi studio head Nicolas Doucet told us there were plans for eventual free DLC for Astro Bot, coming “soon” after launch. He says it will be based around adding more challenge levels to the game – shorter levels focused on specific platforming challenges – but that won’t be the only component.

Source

Ok I'll admit it, I'm jealous! This will be GOTY, I can't see anyone topping this right now.

MacReady13

Genuinely the most I've been excited to own a PS5 since I bought one.
This and Ratchet and Clank are the most hyped i've been for PS5 games. Not too certain why Sony don't lean more into this type of game and instead they focus on the crap they continuously regurgitate almost yearly since the PS3 days! Go back to what made you the company you were and stop with the bloated, over hyped and over rated tosh that you keep releasing (and yes, I am aware the newest Ratchet game sold poorly but it was sold close to launch of PS5 and it was a PS5 exclusive).

Audiophile

Might have to bring that PS5 Pro purchase back from mid next year for DS2 then GTAVI to end of this year for Astro.

nial

Gold Member
and yes, I am aware the newest Ratchet game sold poorly but it was sold close to launch of PS5 and it was a PS5 exclusive
It sold pretty well, actually.
But I don't think SIE should focus on a single type of game only, it's the same deal with people like Represent. Represent. dunking on Sony because Astro Bot is not his cup of tea.
It's a good thing for everyone that we can have both of these games.
phJvhOi.jpeg
9aJclQi.jpeg

I guess similar as with GT and Helldivers. DLC is priced into the initial price and its sale price will not drop very low until this DLC support phase is over.

Top Bottom