• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atelier Ryza Review Thread

sublimit

Banned
atelier-ryza-mainvisual-pc-en.png

The reviews for this game have started coming out:

PS4 Version

Video Chums 91
"With so many JRPGs remaining stagnant or trying to appeal to the masses, Atelier Ryza stands tall amongst its peers as a truly amazing experience. Whether you're a fan of the series or just a JRPG enthusiast, you need to play this masterpiece. "

Everyeye.it 85
"The eternal darkness of recent episodes now seems destined to give way to a radiant and exciting future. "

Multiplayer.it 82
Quotation forthcoming.

Vandal 78
"It finally feels like Atelier is making a solid effort to evolve the series. It’s still far from the big RPGs, but it’s a step in the right direction and, also, a good entry to discover the series. "

Frontline 75
"Atelier Ryza is a short and sweet RPG, ideal for players who are not used to RPGs, or want to try out an Atelier game for the first time. People who are interested in the setting will also not be disappointed. Series fans, however, might find the experience to be somewhat lacking due to its short length and simpler synthesis system. "

Jeuxvideo.com 70
Quotation forthcoming.

PlayStation Universe 65
"Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout makes some fundamental changes to the core mechanics that may get under the skin of long-time fans but are welcome for those looking to jump into the franchise for the first time. "

Switch version

Digitally Downloaded 100
"What is important is that I came away from this game very happy. It's a joy to play, the overall experience is video game comfort food, and I don't think I'll ever get bored with the way Gust approaches the alchemy systems with the same sense of experimental creativity as the alchemy in the game itself. "

TheSixthAxis 90
"Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout reinvents the wheel on a series that felt like it was beginning to grow stagnant. Fresh combat and an engaging new protagonist help this entry usher in a remarkable new era for the long-running Atelier series, and other improvements like great Switch performance and gorgeous music are just icing on the cake. I never thought that Atelier Sophie could be out-done, but Atelier Ryza has thoroughly made the case to be my new favorite game in the series. "

Nintenderos 87
"Atelier Ryza is a revolution for the series with a completely new combat and synthesis system, as well as an original story about what it means to mature. Its slow pace and repetitiveness are not for everyone, but it is the perfect title for those who want to start playing the franchise. "

God is a Geek 85
"Atelier Ryza: Ever Darkness & the Secret Hideout on Nintendo Switch is a fantastic conversion. "

RPG Site 80
"While I may have enjoyed Atelier Lulua more, that title comes with three other games’ worth of baggage to deal with. Atelier Ryza is a fresh start, and a perfect title to jump right into the series with. "

Nintendo Life 80
"Atelier Ryza lifts the series to new heights with a reinvigorated, newcomer-friendly alchemy system and an excellent combat overhaul. The new graphics engine looks glorious and runs beautifully on Nintendo’s console, the story is thoughtfully paced and heartfelt and the traditionally slow early hours do a fantastic job of detailing Ryza’s journey from complete beginner to master alchemist. Gust has done a brilliant job of taking this long-running franchise and making it appeal to the mainstream more than ever here and, if you’ve ever been tempted to give the world of Atelier a try, this is a perfect jumping-on point. "

Video Reviews

Last edited:

Belmonte

Perhaps it is time for me to give Atelier series a go.

I don't have absolutely anything against it but I'm not big into fan service in games, so I didn't gave a chance to the franchise yet. But everything else seems on point for me. Gameplay, exploration, story, art...

What got me is Gaming Bolt review calling Atelier Ryza, "the Animal Crossing of RPGs" when talking about how laid back the game is. Very nice. Will wait more reviews.

sublimit

Banned
I really recommend watching Backlog Battle's video review. It's very in-depth especially about the game's combat. It's also his first Atelier game and that gives a good perspective for those who are also new to the series and they are thinking to start with Ryza.

McCheese

Think I'll rather get it on Steam.

PC version is the PS4 version with some horrible launcher to manage all two graphic settings. Performance wise it's great but capped at 1080p for me.

Switch version takes a hit with textures and foliage but frame rate is a pretty stable 30 fps.

PS4 version is great, some muddy textures in places but lighting is beautiful.

You really can't go wrong with any version. The short-short free dlc made it into all three, but fully expect the swimsuit stuff to be only on switch due to the parity between pc and PS4

Vawn

Banned
I'm on the fence about this. I started with Atelier Rorona and liked it a lot. But since then, the formula was getting old after playing three more Atelier games - Totori, Meruru and Sophie.

But, I'm hearing it's changed up more for this entry.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Mine is out for delivery. This will be my first Atelier game.
Same, I’m think getting this because I really liked the art direction even compare to pervious games.

Now the only question is should I get the PS4 or Switch version.

McCheese

Any word on how well the Switch version compares to the PS4 version?

I have all three.

PC and PS4 are on par, PC has like a full-screen and resolution setting and that's it.

Switch has the same models and geometry, but reduced textures and shadow resolution, and secondary geometry (e.g. grass, trees, particles) has been cut back, and has a reduced draw distance. The first two points are not all that noticeable on portable, but the grass and foliage is very noticeable if you compare them side by side. I would still pick up the Switch version over the PS4 as it's the sort of leisurely gameplay that works perfectly on a handheld, but if you are just going to play it at home, PS4 or PC is the one to go for just for that extra oomf.

Performance is great on the switch, it's a real top tier switch title technically.

But what you're really asking, well, extra thicc thighs and jiggling is present in all versions.

Last edited:

Danjin44

I went with PS4. I don't care about swimsuit DLC and would rather have the better resolution + effects.
I also pulled the trigger and went with PS4 version, mostly because already too much games I'm already playing on my Switch.

My biggest reason is Ryza kind of gives me same vibe as Kat in terms personality.

The PC version has some issues from my experience.

Contacted Koei Tecmo support to tell them about the issues, and hopefully other people can do the same.

There's really no excuse for a PC game in 2019 to not have any mouse support period, and emulator tier keybindings.

While it still runs better than the PS4 and Switch versions, there's performance issues in towns that will dip the framerate to 45-50FPS. Average framerate is about 60-90. The shadow and ambient occlusion quality causes a lot of flickering, noticeable pop-in, and motion artifacting too. No Anti-aliasing at all either. Don't really get why they haven't implemented something like FXAA or TemporalAA as an option.

Shifty1897

The PC version has some issues from my experience.

Contacted Koei Tecmo support to tell them about the issues, and hopefully other people can do the same.

There's really no excuse for a PC game in 2019 to not have any mouse support period, and emulator tier keybindings.

While it still runs better than the PS4 and Switch versions, there's performance issues in towns that will dip the framerate to 45-50FPS. Average framerate is about 60-90. The shadow and ambient occlusion quality causes a lot of flickering, noticeable pop-in, and motion artifacting too. No Anti-aliasing at all either. Don't really get why they haven't implemented something like FXAA or TemporalAA as an option.

May I ask what video card you have?

Mixed reviews on Steam. Looks like Koei Tecmo still haven't learned, they have the reputation of being shit, looks like this is no different. Wishlist removed, nothing of value lost here.

Danjin44

Mixed reviews on Steam. Looks like Koei Tecmo still haven't learned, they have the reputation of being shit, looks like this is no different. Wishlist removed, nothing of value lost here.
Most reviewers I watched/read parsing the game even the ones who never played Atelier game before but I'm guessing it got mix reviews on Steam because its not good PC port.

Most reviewers I watched/read parsing the game even the ones who never played Atelier game before but I'm guessing it got mix reviews on Steam because its not good PC port.

And that's the whole point, your paying $60 to have the best experience and Koei Tecmo games rarely ever go on sale, and never bother to patch things up. If this was a $20 or less game maybe I understand, but for the price of a triple A title, I expect a good PC port.

Danjin44

And that's the whole point, your paying $60 to have the best experience and Koei Tecmo games rarely ever go on sale, and never bother to patch things up. If this was a $20 or less game maybe I understand, but for the price of a triple A title, I expect a good PC port.
No I understand, for example Bayonetta was phenomenal game but PS3 port was really, really bad when it first came out which can ruin experience. Even tho I had PS3 I didn't buy Bayonetta until WiiU version came out, so I understand where you coming from.

Last edited:

Sakura

Make sure you guys save. The game has no autosave, and it crashed on me once (PS4) after doing several hours of material gathering and crafting.

Danjin44

Which system would be best to pick this up on?
This game is no technical marvel, its art direction thats impressive, so depends on what you value most. Both PS4 version and Switch version run the game perfectly well, only difference is PS4 version will have higher resolution some added effects but JRPGs like Atelier is really good for portable systems like Switch. The only reason I chose PS4 version in the first place because I already have too much games I'm playing on Switch so I thought I get it on PS4.

Last edited:

Komatsu

Since nobody claimed the OT, I threw something together really quick, though I don't plan on buying the game before I wrap up Ayesha.

Phase

This game is no technical marvel, its art direction thats impressive, so depends on what you value most. Both PS4 version and Switch version run the game perfectly well, only difference is PS4 version will have higher resolution some added effects but JRPGs like Atelier is really good for portable systems like Switch. The only reason I chose PS4 version in the first place because I already have too much games I'm playing on Switch so I thought I get it on PS4.
Ah thanks. I don't have a switch so PS4 it is. Though I'll prob wait for a sale of some kind as I still have some other games to get through for now.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Did anybody mention how the characters backstories are gonna be DLC?

Danjin44

Did anybody mention how the characters backstories are gonna be DLC?
Which DLC? I’m looking list the the DLCs that comes with bundles none of them looks like a story DLC.

Does this game have season pass like FE 3Houses that includes story DLC?

Edit: never mind, found it!
RPGsite

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Which DLC? I’m looking list the the DLCs that comes with bundles none of them looks like a story DLC.

Does this game have season pass like FE 3Houses that includes story DLC?

Edit: never mind, found it!
RPGsite
The side stories should have been included with the game. Previous games had dlc but they were cosmetic. Also this is the first Atelier game I am unable to buy physically unless I order online around here.

KàIRóS

Skipping this one, I'm not a big fan of the Atelier games, the lighthearted slice of life stories and the heavily focused crafting gameplay in these games are a big turnoff for me and this one isn't looking that much different, I thought they would actually change things around for this game considering how much they changed the character designs but I was wrong, I hope one day Gust returns to the more serious storytelling and mechanics of the Atelier Iris trilogy.

Right now I'm too focused on finishing Trails of Cold Steel 3 and The Outer Worlds before Death Stranding and Shemue 3 come out anyway.

Javthusiast

Banned
I haven‘t played this one yet and don‘t plan to, cause Atelier is not my style of game, but I still give this game a voluptuous THICC/10.

McCheese

Loving this so far, really relaxing.

Takes quite some time for the nuances of combat and crafting to really click, went like 10 hours before I even realised I could control the other characters in combat.

The fast travel system is shit, as it's just picking a list of names without any visual map of where they actually are.

Danjin44

Loving this so far, really relaxing.

Takes quite some time for the nuances of combat and crafting to really click, went like 10 hours before I even realised I could control the other characters in combat.

The fast travel system is shit, as it's just picking a list of names without any visual map of where they actually are.
I’m also really liking the game so far but also agree the fast travel is not well done.

FStubbs

Skipping this one, I'm not a big fan of the Atelier games, the lighthearted slice of life stories and the heavily focused crafting gameplay in these games are a big turnoff for me and this one isn't looking that much different, I thought they would actually change things around for this game considering how much they changed the character designs but I was wrong, I hope one day Gust returns to the more serious storytelling and mechanics of the Atelier Iris trilogy.

Right now I'm too focused on finishing Trails of Cold Steel 3 and The Outer Worlds before Death Stranding and Shemue 3 come out anyway.

More serious storytelling?
the three Generals! Which of them is the villain?! Galahad, Tolena, or ... Chaos?

They aren't bad games, but the mechanics and storytelling are better in the modern games. I can get save the world plots elsewhere.

McCheese

I’m also really liking the game so far but also agree the fast travel is not well done.

I spoke too soon, figured 14 hours in it would stop giving me new features - but nope, it has a great fast travel system eventually, complete with a map and indicators of which quests are in that area. Seems dumb they hold it back for so long, I guess they wanted folks to wander around to gather materials etc in the early game.

Danjin44

I spoke too soon, figured 14 hours in it would stop giving me new features - but nope, it has a great fast travel system eventually, complete with a map and indicators of which quests are in that area. Seems dumb they hold it back for so long, I guess they wanted folks to wander around to gather materials etc in the early game.
Nice! I guess I’m still early in the game.

Top Bottom