• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart | Review Thread

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Not good? I think anything 75 and higher is good. Not great, but still a good game to play. Maybe something to wait a little bit for if you have other things in your back log or if it was a game you were already on the fence about, but 75 is not a bad score.
Earlier today the metacritic score was in the 60s but then it went up 10 points. That's why you see those comments.

GymWolf

Definitely not where I'll be playing it but that's good news from an optimisation standpoint.

It's probably the RT causing stutters on the PC once again.

Edit:

Maybe not... Fuck knows then.
It doens't have stutter, people who had it was playing the game without the day one patch that introduce a long shader compile process when you start the game.

The purples are trying to find any reason to shit on the game so if many of them have zero stutter, i tend to believe it's true.

GHG

It doens't have stutter, people who had it was playing the game without the day one patch that introduce a long shader compile process when you start the game.

The purples are trying to find any reason to shit on the game so if many of them have zero stutter, i tend to believe it's true.

If that's the case then good news. I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this then.

GymWolf

For people who are playing, does it look as good as the reveal trailer

From what i saw this could be one of those rare case where the final game looks better than an already impressive trailer (i mean it was impressive 4 years ago)

Last edited:

Aenima

It wasn’t clever/funny the first 20 times other people said it. But ok. 👍🏼
okay-then-bye.gif

M1987

From what i saw this could be one of those rare case where the final game looks better than an already impressive trailer (i mean it was impressive 4 years ago)

Don't know about the combat because my controller won't work properly,but the graphics are definitely as good

ungalo

In any case, it's not far from that. It's not like they bulshitted us or anything about what the game really is. It's an impressive game coming from a young studio.

It's just that now that i'm in the open world, i feel that maybe the game has an identity crisis. The immersive sim side drags it down. It's not as fun as it should be

Flabagast

The game is a not-so-subtle tool of current Russian imperialism, there is no way to deny this fact.

Whether you feel ok with it or not and/or you think it is not worse than any average dumb shooter glorifying US army is up to you though.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Believe it or not, these were where the requirements for the game when it was presented like 5 years ago

• Minimum:
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4460, 2.70GHz or AMD FX™-6300 or better
    • Memory: 6 GB RAM
    • GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 760 or AMD Radeon™ R7 260x with 2GB Video RAM
    • HDD space: 22 GB beschikbare ruimte
  • Recommended:
    • Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 3770 3.4GHz or AMD equivalent or better
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • GPU: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 3GB VRAM
    • HDD space: 22 GB beschikbare ruimte

GymWolf

In any case, it's not far from that. It's not like they bulshitted us or anything about what the game really is. It's an impressive game coming from a young studio.

It's just that now that i'm in the open world, i feel that maybe the game has an identity crisis. The immersive sim side drags it down. It's not as fun as it should be
The immersive sims\bioshock side is what make the game more interesting to me over a pure shooter like doom or a shlooter like borderlands.

I don't care if combat\movements are not as tight as doom, i don't even like pure shooter THAT much.

Last edited:

Denton

Well that's your opinion, and not actual findings that people are biased towards sony. It's mostly resentment from your part towards sony success.
It is an opinion based on observation. And I am not resentful of Sony's success, I enjoy their games too. But it would be nice if fantastic games from other companies (and parts of the world that aren't US and Japan) got a fairer shake too.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
There are just better looking indies lol. Spelunky 2 and temtem are others I enjoyed. Not proving anything.
Haha but my point was exactly that, dismissing games because of how they look. I bet you looked at Doki Doki and thought it's one of those games about dating anime girls. Trust me, it's much more.

And same for the other ones I listed, they are great and it saddens me that there's people refusing to even try them because they don't have the budget of bigger titles, while maybe their gameplay design makes up for that by a lot.

But it's fine, as you said not every game is for everyone.

My point was that they need to get that Blockbuster mass production gamers (which are the majority in consoles). They have starfield, but that looks to be another c2077 SO FAR.
Finally, can't believe we agree on something. :goog_relieved:

Yeah they need to deliver more games for sure. And I for one welcome Starfield having being delayed, that gameplay reveal left me cold.

So it's good that you're satisfied and I can see that, but what about me? Xbox has been ultra skipable since xbox one. I loved playing gears and halo 3/reach back then. Now? Meh
I don't care about Xbox too much either. For me the perfect combo has always been PC + Nintendo console, with the ocassional Sony exclusive thrown in there. It's just that the later hasn't released anything that appeals to me during this gen, yet (hopefully).

GymWolf

I find that trailer impressive as hell even today, as in, it could have come out today and I would find it impressive. And the game delivers.
After rewatching it i noticed lot of meh textures here and there, the final game seems more even.

But it could be yt compression at 1080p.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Shouldn't it have unlocked already on GP? I went back to my region and it still says "preinstall".

edit: gamepass pc, I mean.

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Those playing on the peasant console PS5 and Xbox Series X, are there any graphical options, or is it just plug and play and you get what you get?

Also, any word on if the PS5 versions uses dual sense stuff? I can see myself double dipping down the road after a deep sale.

RevGaming

Haha but my point was exactly that, dismissing games because of how they look. I bet you looked at Doki Doki and thought it's one of those games about dating anime girls. Trust me, it's much more.
You dismiss games on how they look too lol. Not by graphics, but other things too and there is nothing wrong with it.
Yeah, sure. Much more.
And same for the other ones I listed, they are great and it saddens me that there's people refusing to even try them because they don't have the budget of bigger titles, while maybe their gameplay design makes up for that by a lot.

But it's fine, as you said not every game is for everyone.
Saddens you?
Finally, can't believe we agree on something. :goog_relieved:

Yeah they need to deliver more games for sure. And I for one welcome Starfield having being delayed, that gameplay reveal left me cold.
Finally? that was my initial argument. Delays are good, but it better be worth the wait.
I don't care about Xbox too much either. For me the perfect combo has always been PC + Nintendo console, with the ocassional Sony exclusive thrown in there. It's just that the later hasn't released anything that appeals to me during this gen, yet (hopefully).
Maybe their multiplayer side of things might interest you, because SP they ain't changing it.

JayK47

It must be review bomb and censor month. I think this game looks interesting. And for $40, I will pick it up sooner than later.

RevGaming

It is an opinion based on observation. And I am not resentful of Sony's success, I enjoy their games too. But it would be nice if fantastic games from other companies (and parts of the world that aren't US and Japan) got a fairer shake too.
I really don't know what you're asking.

Those playing on the peasant console PS5 and Xbox Series X, are there any graphical options, or is it just plug and play and you get what you get?

Also, any word on if the PS5 versions uses dual sense stuff? I can see myself double dipping down the road after a deep sale.
- (Dynamic) 4k @ 60 fps on both. Looks and plays superbly. The only big disappointment: No HDR!

- The back cover of the physical release says "Vibration/Rumble and trigger effects supported".

ys230Ou.jpg

Last edited:
I think this game will be greatly defended if they issue some impactful patches post launch. I don't think most gamers will have an issue with the narrative tone like the reviews have.

Last edited:

ungalo

The immersive sims\bioshock side is what make the game more interesting to me over a pure shooter like doom or a shlooter like borderlands.

I don't care if combat\movements are not as tight as doom, i don't even like pure shooter THAT much.
I'm not saying that because i don't like immersive sim, i really like them, but shooters too. I just feel Atomic Heart, considering many things like its structure, would be better if it was purged from some specific influences.

And Bioshock is a particular case because it's not really an immersive sim, or at best it's a very light one. But it's also a good example of what i'm saying because when the devs decided to make a game that wouldn't be as deep as System Shock or other titles, they got rid of certain elements that wouldn't fit.

Like the inventory. You can get your health kit up to 9 and that's it. And when you get a new weapon, you just have it, it doesn't take any slot, you don't have to make a choice.

Here in Atomic Heart i was caught by surprise when i realised any health kit take a slot in your inventory like basically any item (except ammo that you can obviously stack until a certain amount). I was wandering in the world asking myself "why am i not dropping any pack of health anymore ?" because at this point this system felt so out of place with what the game was i completely forgot about it. And that's the same for the weapons i already had crafted thinking "i'm going to have fun with all these different weapons" except it's actually more Deus Ex than Bioshock.

And it's not only that, but plenty other things. I don't want to go into details because perhaps the game will actually work for me in its own way. It's too soon to say.

ss_lemonade

Just realized that the game has no RT support at launch. That's crazy for a game that was seeing RT tech demos pretty much every year since 2018

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Damn it look amazing on PC

T6ddYC.png
T6dqh5.png

Just realized that the game has no RT support at launch. That's crazy for a game that was seeing RT tech demos pretty much every year since 2018
On PC? There is a RT benchmark available since more than 2 years I think so that would be crazy to not implement it at launch

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
is the game actually good? besides it looks amazing? seems like its getting mixed reviews.

octiny

Banned
I was all set to play this on GP PC, even downloaded the 66GB update to the original install only to find out I have to wait another 8 hours. Lucky ass bastards on Steam.

Yeah I know, I can change the country but can't be bothered.

Looking forward to it either way.

Last edited:

TonyK

Wow, I played a bit on seriesX and it looks way better than I expected. Art direction is very appealing. Ant this dystopian Russian world is fascinating to me because it's done by Russians, feeling more authentic and weird because that.

I wanted to play it because I love Bioshock games and I must say this game has caused to me the same good impression than Bioshock Infinite at that time.

TitusTroy

Atomic Heart Ditches Ray Tracing on PC at the Very Last Minute

Only a few hours before the game's launch, we received a clear answer: Atomic Heart won't have ray tracing for now. The exact quote is:

"Following the launch, we'll revisit the needs of our gamers"

WTH does that even mean??...previously they confirmed that RT reflections, shadows and some RT global illumination would be included...now it's all undecided I'm guessing due to performance issues...the game looked like an RT powerhouse pre-release

Last edited:
Top Bottom