• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atomic Heart took 600,000 hours to develop

"Representatives of the Mundfish team on social networks revealed that they have been working on Atomic Heart for five years. More than 120 professional employees take part in the creation of the shooter, who worked on the project for 8-16 hours a day. In total, Atomic Heart created as many as 633,600 hours."

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
120 employees working 10 hours per day is 1,200 man hours per day.

633,600 total hours / 1,200 = 528 days of work.

528 days of work is about 2 years of development giving them weekends off (264 days or work per year).

No doubt they wouldnt have 120 employees on day one. But the 600,000+ hours isn't as impressive as it seems.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Does this mean the employees were crunched to work harder?
I thought it would get covid delay. No way this game would have seen 2022 release date, with all these delays, without any crunch.
I smell crunch.

"Representatives of the Mundfish team on social networks revealed that they have been working on Atomic Heart for five years. More than 120 professional employees take part in the creation of the shooter, who worked on the project for 8-16 hours a day. In total, Atomic Heart created as many as 633,600 hours."
And they still have nothing of substance to show. Their original showing looked visually impressive but so much time has passed since then that we have next gen consoles out and about.

TLZ

Banned
120 employees working 10 hours per day is 1,200 man hours per day.

633,600 total hours / 1,200 = 528 days of work.

528 days of work is about 2 years of development giving them weekends off (264 days or work per year).

No doubt they wouldnt have 120 employees on day one. But the 600,000+ hours isn't as impressive as it seems.
Yea I did the maths and it doesn't add up. Something has to be halved in those numbers. Either the years, number of employees, or work hours etc.

clarky

Gold Member
Does this mean the employees were crunched to work harder?
I thought it would get covid delay. No way this game would have seen 2022 release date, with all these delays, without any crunch.
I smell crunch.
Who gives a fuck about "crunch" ? In the real world its called giving a fuck and putting some hours in when required. 99% of projects with deadlines require overtime at some point.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
Who gives a fuck about "crunch" ? In the real world its called giving a fuck and putting some hours in when required. 99% of projects with deadlines require overtime at some point.
There is something called managing your project in timely manner, then there is overworking your employees, because you want to hit the deadline.

People like you, are why there is alot of bad management in the industry. Employees shouldn't be responsible for the managements mistakes.

I am being forced to work 10 hours for 2 weeks in my company, because there is government holiday, which I am not responsible. Fuck those shits.

Roberts

What is it with PR boasting about numbers that will do more harm than good.

Also, I’m curious how this game stands politically. Not sure I want to play a game that is in any way nostalgic about soviet past.

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
There is something called managing your project in timely manner, then there is overworking your employees, because you want to hit the deadline.

People like you, are why there is alot of bad management in the industry. Employees shouldn't be responsible for the managements mistakes.

I am being forced to work 10 hours for 2 weeks in my company, because there is government holiday, which I am not responsible. Fuck those shits.

Get another job.

whyman

I see people not wanting to buy this game because devs are Russians. Have the devs personally expressed support for Ukraine invasion?

While I understand and personally would have a really hard time buying this game because of that I must ask. Did you refuse to buy American games when US invaded Iraq? A war that killed more then 180 000 civilians and injured many more. Did you stop buying American games when American soldiers tortured prisoners in Iraq?

Because I did not…

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
8-16 hours a day
Someone works at Bloomberg:

smelling finding nemo GIF

anthony2690

Banned
I personally thought the game looked pretty interesting from their last trailer.

I wonder how many reviewers refuse to cover the in game due to the Devs being russian though, or try and get twitter praise for some comment about the game.

Life

Stats can be pretty dumb and pretentiously "insightful". Other times, they can be useful. The stats above are NOT the latter.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
8-16 hours a day is not a brag I would be proud of.

It is if it wasn't mandatory.

People deserve credit for going the extra mile to hit the highest levels of quality.

Back in the pre-corporate days when people were working for themselves out of their bedrooms and basements, spending every hour, every spare moment working was the rule. Not the exception.

Don't conflate passion with exploitation of passion.

There's this weird idea these days that you can get by on talent alone, which is and always has been a myth. Nobody gets everything "just right" on the first attempt, refinement and iteration is a necessity in a complex creative endeavour like making a game.

Luckily we can conclude that amount of hours worked on a game directly translates to quality. Look for the shining example Halo Infinite which with unlimited resources and man hours became the best game eveeerrrrrr to grace this planet. /s

Crunch and Overtime is not the same.

Overtime is like staying late on a project, putting extra hours to make ends meet. And this usually lasts 1 day, but could last a couple days.

Crunch is doing overtime for months! One thing is staying late to finish a project, another is sacrificing a chunk of life to finish a project. I agree that we do need to put in some hours when required to give a fuck, but not if it’s like 200 extra hours in a month. At that point, it’s bleeding into bad management biting more than they can chew.

fermcr

From the gameplay videos I've seen until now, game looks quite good.
I'm hyped... hope it delivers.

What does it have to do with their citizen , isn't it their government to be fault ?
To be clear, I was just posting why the other guy has a problem with it.

For me personally, unless the developers are coming out and supporting the war, I would still like to play the game. They're just people caught under the government like all of us. If they are against the war, they surely are fearful of the government.

That said, I can also understand not wanting to buy anything Russian right now. But damning all of their citizens is going too far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom