• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mohonky

Anyone see the ad on channel 7?

"When you live in a riverside city, the prime real estate is Riverside, your dream home in the most beautiful location" basically. Struck me as odd. Surely they didn't realise running an ad like that right now probably isn't hugely appealing considering everything riverside is well.....under water.

......and full of sharks now too.

Tntnnbltn

pseudocaesar said:
Fuck you man, we didnt get ranked the second best country to live in by being third world. Go back to Detroit or wherever your from.
Exactly. We second world, not third world.

Salazar

pseudocaesar said:
Fuck you man, we didnt get ranked the second best country to live in by being third world. Go back to Detroit or wherever your from.

Let's not fight over a flooded Ipswich.

I assume Southbank is fucked ?

Mohonky said:

"When you live in a riverside city, the prime real estate is Riverside, your dream home in the most beautiful location" basically. Struck me as odd. Surely they didn't realise running an ad like that right now probably isn't hugely appealing considering everything riverside is well.....under water.

Upside is that riverside properties should be had at bargain prices soon :lol

Cohsae

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Upside is that riverside properties should be had at bargain prices soon :lol
Yeah but like half the people in QLD have riverside properties now so they aren't that special.

yeah I was talking specifically about the bull shark hurting people.

I also hope the floods dont hurt anymore people.

But it can kill as many cane toads as it likes as far as I am concerned.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Mohonky said:

Oh yeah, Bull Sharks fuckin loveeeeeeee floods.

Salazar

Tntnnbltn said:
Why would you develop high-density floodplanes?

Sssshhh.

Seriously, they have jammed so many houses on prime flooding territory. Motherfuckers don't care about what could happen,

Salazar said:
Sssshhh.

Seriously, they have jammed so many houses on prime flooding territory. Motherfuckers don't care about what could happen,

yeah its like the developers think "Its only a flood plain for a 1 in 100 year flood and the last great flood was in '74 so I should be able to make a bit of money and not have to worry about flooding", so naive and greedy.

Papa

Banned
PJV3 said:
I looked up golden orb spider, i shall never leave old blighty, the white cliffs of Dover are the closest i shall ever get to the southern hemisphere.

Golden orbs aren't that scary in person. It's huntsman spiders that freak me out. God damn demon spawn.

Gazunta said:
Kochie, Mel and that fuck face Grant Denyar all up in Brisbane mispronouncing our suburb names, no doubt

Morning TV at its worst.

EDIT: Just watching the ABC News 24 stream. Gotta hand it to Bligh. She's doing a sterling job. A real no-bullshit set of press conferences all the time. However, anyone would look at Bligh and say the same when measured against Gillard's robotic responses. She sounds on autopilot, but with an undercurrent of gratuitous politicking weaved in. Hideous.

holmes182

Neo Member
One of my mates was interviewed on Today show this morning alongside the river at Bulimba.

Just another Aussie bogan on the tube.............

Pylon_Trooper said:
Morning TV at its worst.

EDIT: Just watching the ABC News 24 stream. Gotta hand it to Bligh. She's doing a sterling job. A real no-bullshit set of press conferences all the time. However, anyone would look at Bligh and say the same when measured against Gillard's robotic responses. She sounds on autopilot, but with an undercurrent of gratuitous politicking weaved in. Hideous.

I knew it!

fembot.jpg

choodi

Banned
Sew said:
In the weeks that follow, the political shit slinging will probably begin as people seek to blame someone for the actions of the planet. But I have to say that Anna Bligh (who has never been on my radar as I'm from NSW) seems to be someone who isn't scared of rolling her sleeves up and staying on the front lines.

Anna Bligh is in such a deep shithole politically that being seen to be active on the front lines is the only thing that stands between her and political oblivion.

Basically, a disaster like this is a Godsend (no pun intended) as it takes all the attention away from how hopeless they are as a government and lets the bogans see her stupid face on tv doing something positive.

I must say though that Julia Gillard reminds me of a vulture just waiting to pick over a carcass. She is hanging around and getting her stupid mug in on all the press conferences and contributing 3/5ths of fuck all to the equation. Every time I see her I just want to grab her ugly ass and say "fuck off back to Canberra!"

She is basically just taking up air time reading out jingoish slogans and sounding like a bogan with that godawful accent of hers.

wetwired

Gazunta said:
Kochie, Mel and that fuck face Grant Denyar all up in Brisbane mispronouncing our suburb names, no doubt

haha I can't remember what channel I was watching but they were reading the list of names of suburbs likely to be affected. The chick just skipped hard to pronounce names (there was a text list on screen at the same time), didn't even bother trying to say them, then when she got to the end of the list she said "and some other ones"

choodi said:
I must say though that Julia Gillard reminds me of a vulture just waiting to pick over a carcass. She is hanging around and getting her stupid mug in on all the press conferences and contributing 3/5ths of fuck all to the equation. Every time I see her I just want to grab her ugly ass and say "fuck off back to Canberra!"

She is basically just taking up air time reading out jingoish slogans and sounding like a bogan with that godawful accent of hers.

I don't usually watch much TV, but the last day or 2 I have been, and have finally seen what everyone else talks about when they say she's an alien\robot\etc, everything she says seems so forced and unnatural, like her actions are only dictated by what she thinks other people want to see...like Dexter :p

I walked away from the TV after that and thought about what I wanted to see from a leader in this circumstance, I wanted to see them shoveling sandbags or helping people in need. I walk in on my wife watching a video on ABC news and it's showing Kevin Rudd covered in sweat helping move stuff from a house where the occupants are students away overseas or something :/

DeSo

Banned
wetwired said:
haha I can't remember what channel I was watching but they were reading the list of names of suburbs likely to be affected. The chick just skipped hard to pronounce names (there was a text list on screen at the same time), didn't even bother trying to say them, then when she got to the end of the list she said "and some other ones"
Fucking hell.

BowieZ

Banned
167122_1673312386164_1038031761_1849437_6051210_n.jpg

The Queensland Flood Channel 9 News Drinking Game

YOU WILL NEED:

1. Copious amounts of alcohol

2. To watch 9's coverage of the floods

Take one drink IF:

1. The news reporter says INUNDATED

2. The news reporter says UNPRECEDENTED

3. The news reporter says EVACUATION

4. The news reporter says CAPACITY

5. The news reporter is standing in water whilst reporting

6. The news reporter makes reference to 1974 floods

7. The news reporter says 'Rolling Coverage'

8. When the SES Helicopter is shown.

9. The Suncorp Staduim is shown or referenced to

Take two drinks IF:

1. Stock Footage of Wivenhoe dam

2. Stock Footage of Floating aeroplane

3. Stock Footage of Floating Dinghy

4. "WATER OVER ROAD" sign

5. An insurance ad comes on during the break

6. That youtube video of the cars floating in Toowoomba comes on screen

7. Anything to do with SANDBAGS

8. Stock Footage of old ladies making ham sandwiches at RNA showgrounds

9. Stock Footage of water level meter stick

10. When a reporter says “Queensland’s Darkest Hour”

11. A toothless Ipswich local, appears on screen

12. Stock Footage of the boat hitting the bridge

Take three drinks IF:

1. Stock Footage of a road sign which is the only object above water level

2. Stock Footage of 1974 Floods

3. Stock Footage of people sitting on their roof.

4. Floating Furniture

5. Stock Footage of the Football Field in Ipswich

6. News reporter makes reference to the Brisbane River, Wivenhoe Dam, or Condamine.

7. Anna Bligh appears on screen

6. If 'Burst it's banks' is said.

7. When the ‘Chasing Cars’ photo slideshow plays

Take four drinks IF:

1. Anna Bligh says INUNDATED

2. Anna Bligh says EVACUATION

3. Anna Bligh makes reference to 1974

4. Anna Bligh says, “This has broken our hearts, but it will not break our will.”

Take five drinks IF:

1. Channel 9 decides to show Two and a Half Men, tonight

2. On rare instances, the reporters (and Anna Bligh) make references to 1893, this is worth 5 drinks.

Dead Man

_Alkaline_ said:
:(

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/weather/how-jordan-died-to-save-his-brother-20110112-19obf.html

IT IS almost unimaginable the fear 13-year-old Jordan Rice would have felt as the car he and his family were in was pummelled by a wall of water.

But as it began engulfing the vehicle, Jordan, who could not swim himself, insisted his younger brother, Blake, 10, be rescued first.

It was a heroic gesture. One that cost him his life.

And, like so many others who have risked their lives to save strangers, it almost cost the life of one of the rescuers, Warren McErlean.

Mr McErlean thought he got it wrong when he saw a water gauge on a street in Toowoomba rise 20 centimetres in 10 seconds on Monday afternoon.

Five minutes later he was clinging to a pole, dodging cars and wheelie bins after he risked his life to try to save the Rice family.

While Blake was rescued, Jordan and his mother, Donna, 43, perished when they were swept away in the flood.

Bloody hell.

Does congratulations mean something different in Australia? Gillard congratulated Salvation Army workers for handing out food. Just seems like an odd thing to say. She also wouldn't look so bad if she put some blush on her face. She looks like a corpse but that seems to be the fashion in Australia because the news women on ABC 24 hour looks all pasty as well.

Did they ever save the people in the white car that they show in their flood montage? I thought the person slumped over the wheel was dead but then they show him move and the camera pulls back to show them in a lake of brown water. The poor animals drowning are killing me too :(

Papa

Banned
VelvetMouth said:
Now there's drunk guy with a beer and schnapps for Kevin Rudd(I think it's him) who just shrugs off the flood:lol

I saw that guy :lol

Also the bogans yelling "yewww K-Rudd" as he walked by were hilarious.

Tntnnbltn

Does anyone else find themselves unable to stop watching the deaf signing during Anna Bligh's press conference clips? I love trying to match up some of the words to the gestures.

Tworak

VelvetMouth said:
Now there's drunk guy with a beer and schnapps for Kevin Rudd(I think it's him) who just shrugs off the flood:lol
:lol what a legend. hopefully nothing happens to him.

Tntnnbltn said:
Does anyone else find themselves unable to stop watching the deaf signing during Anna Bligh's press conference clips? I love trying to match up some of the words to the gestures.

I was watching a bit of that and her facial expressions :lol straight to hell for me.

Tworak said:
:lol what a legend. hopefully nothing happens to him.

Kevin Rudd told him to come the door when he comes knocking later because he's going to get flooded out and he just shrugs like fuck it, shirtless with a beer in hand.

Tntnnbltn

More shocking scenes from the Brisbane flood...

3fMgH.jpg

This man's chair pit has been inundated by the recent flooding. The owner says that these water levels are unprecedented. He's had to evacuate all persons from the pit, which has annihalated seating capacity. The true damage won't be revealed until water levels recede. This truly is Queensland's darkest hour. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom