• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanoff

Dead Man said:
Well that tops snakes and crocks. Fuck that!

no the Crocs invariably win

shark-vs-crocodile1.jpg

dejay

Banned
Tntnnbltn said:
The title. :lol :lol

Fuck that was quick. The mods are sneaky - you don't know they're around, but they're just beneath the surface, ready to strike (kinda like bull sharks).

PJV3

Street sharks, swimming snakes, crocodiles and deadly spiders. fuck that!!!
thank god i live in the UK where the worst thing you have to put up with is foxes ripping up your bin bags.

Tntnnbltn

PJV3 said:
thank god i live in the UK where the worst thing you have to put up with is foxes ripping up your bin bags.
That's not true.

You also have to put up with music from Dizzee Rascal.

Dead Man

dejay said:
Fuck that was quick. The mods are sneaky - you don't know they're around, but they're just beneath the surface, ready to strike (kinda like bull sharks).
Indeed.

Tntnnbltn said:
That's not true.

That is quite a burden. Puts our problems in perspective.

Darklord

Banned
PJV3 said:

You just have 1000 years of overcast.

dejay

Banned
PJV3 said:

I hear badgers can tear a man in two.

SumPog

Neo Member
PJV3 said:

Well actually, those deadly spiders are quite the conversational type, once you get to know them. I once had a golden orb called Steveo and he kept my room nice and dandy from all those pesky flies and mosquitos.

Salazar

justjohn said:
Not gonna lie. I'm in here cos of the title.

We are also exploding our boardwalk.

SumPog said:
I once had a golden orb called Steveo and he kept my room nice and dandy from all those pesky flies and mosquitos.

I imagined you gently strumming a guitar to this post.

PJV3

Tntnnbltn said:
That's not true.

but i can always ram pencils through my eardrums if it gets too much. i'm rather keen on keeping my limbs attached to my body.

PJV3

SumPog said:
Well actually, those deadly spiders are quite the conversational type, once you get to know them. I once had a golden orb called Steveo and he kept my room nice and dandy from all those pesky flies and mosquitos.

I looked up golden orb spider, i shall never leave old blighty, the white cliffs of Dover are the closest i shall ever get to the southern hemisphere.

Fusebox

Banned
Sharks in the fucking streets indeed, shit just got real.

PJV3 said:
I looked up golden orb spider, i shall never leave old blighty, the white cliffs of Dover are the closest i shall ever get to the southern hemisphere.

They used to love making webs between all the trees in my old front yard and sometimes I'd walk through them in the dark, it was a freaky feeling.

But it doesn't come close to sharks in the street, as if the rest of the world needed any more proof how deadly our fauna is...

chicko1983 said:
I just had a person on facebook update his status to A Bull Shark spotted in a flooded street in Goodna, QLD .... This is staggering stuff. is this true!!!

grampavs-sexualinadequacy6.png

We're through the looking glass here people.

Salazar

This side of things is pretty average, too.

RAW sewage is spewing into the Brisbane River after treatment facilities broke down upstream.

Lord Mayor Campbell Newman said much of the sewerage infrastructure upstream from the Brisbane area had been damaged and treatment plants had been inundated with water.

"What that means bluntly is raw sewage is going into creeks, streams and the Brisbane River," he said.

Dead Man

Fusebox said:
Sharks in the fucking streets indeed, shit just got real.

They used to love making webs between all the trees in my old front yard and sometimes I'd walk through them in the dark, it was a freaky feeling.

But it doesn't come close to sharks in the street, as if the rest of the world needed any more proof how deadly our fauna is...
Ugh, I hate orb webs so much, they are so strong.

Salazar said:
This side of things is pretty average, too.
Lovely.

holmes182

Neo Member
PJV3 said:

What about the Welsh?

dejay

Banned
From a Sydney perspective, the whole of Queensland is effectively cut off from supplies from the South. Because Brisbane is a major transport hub pretty much everything coming from the south goes through it (or should I say, went through it). The transport companies we use aren't taking any road freight bound for any parts of Queensland.

Our company's financial end of year is this month and we were getting ready for a big sales push and Qld was a major target but I guess sales our our product (ironically outboard engines and personal water craft) will be well down as people rebuild rather than buying recreational power sports products. The economy is gonna take a sizeable hit in the short term.

PJV3 said:

Agree with that, id hate to be scared as fuck going for a shit the worst it gets here is a bee sting.:lol

Dead Man said:
Happens during every major flood. It sounds gross, but in flood conditions, the sewage is so diluted by the time it even gets to the plant that it really doesn't have much of an effect on public health to release it directly into the river, especially with all the crap floating in the river anyway.

Make no mistake, the sewage isn't going through the plant - it's going past it. Otherwise, you break the chemical processes at work in the plant and it can't operate after the flood is over.

Bull sharks, holy hell. I used to work with a girl whose friend was mauled by a pack of bull sharks on North Stradbroke. She was dragged out of the water alive, but didn't make it.

So, a few of them nosing about suburbia...certainly sends shivers up my spine.

Hope all GAFers and their families in the area are okay.

Sew

Yeah, my old man dives a lot and says they're a nasty shark. They'll rip into anything they see - people, truck tyres, whatever.

Dead Man

viciouskillersquirrel said:
Happens during every major flood. It sounds gross, but in flood conditions, the sewage is so diluted by the time it even gets to the plant that it really doesn't have much of an effect on public health to release it directly into the river, especially with all the crap floating in the river anyway.

Make no mistake, the sewage isn't going through the plant - it's going past it. Otherwise, you break the chemical processes at work in the plant and it can't operate after the flood is over.
Not so bad, then, but it still sounds pretty awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom