• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australian Flood Crisis - cities under water, sharks in the streets

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I'm wondering when to go home :(

Hopefully by Thursday evening, or at the very latest, Friday morning. I've heard that the water didn't get up into our street but the power has been out since midday.

Shaneus

UltimaPooh said:
People having weapons wasn't the problem with New Orleans.

This incident in Australia seems to be more gradual than the flooding and hurricane that occurred in New Orleans, so it seems (from what GAFers are saying) that it is easier to respond to.
I was going to completely fly off the handle at you then for saying "more gradual" but you're completely right. It's still come through fucking quickly, but compared to a hurricane, the destruction is more "gradual". It's just a weird-sounding word to use in a situation where you see cars floating down a road quicker than they'd drive down it.

PS. Holy shit at the Riverwalk, Elf... wow. Must reiterate, hope all you banana-bending GAFfers come out of this okay. Seeing how close it's hitting some of you (especially x3n0s, I think it was) seems to make it more "real" to those not anywhere near it (like the bushfires a few years back, I guess).

Bernbaum

UltimaPooh said:

This incident in Australia seems to be more gradual than the flooding and hurricane that occurred in New Orleans, so it seems (from what GAFers are saying) that it is easier to respond to.

The Australian government sounds like it's doing a good job, from what GAFers are reporting. It seems as if New Orleans was a major fuck up in regards to the United States, but mostly I lay the blame on the administration at the time.

FEMA also helped out in regards to placing families and individuals into residences displaced by the storm.
It's been flooding elsewhere in the state since December, so everyone has been mindful of floods, and most sensible people (or at least the majority of those I know) keep their eyes on the meteorological radar and watch the dam levels. The culture of dam level watching has been instilled in many because of our familiarity with drought conditions.

Very few criticisms can be thrown the government's way, in terms of what they've physically done and how they've communicated the situation, both at a state and federal level. The state's premier (AU equivalent of a governor) will likely come out of this looking pretty good. The Prime Minister is not a popular leader and regardless of what she does, people's opinion of her isn't likely to change.

As for preparedness, I don't know if anything could have been done any better.

Tuesday's incident in Toowoomba came as a big surprise because of the townships elevation on the range, and was the most violent occurrence of flooding yet. For people in metro areas, there were plenty of maps available with high resolution information showing what areas will be affected and what roads and services would be affected.

4am tomorrow is the moment everyone is fearing, with the river level expected to peak at 5.2m, down-estimated from the original calculation of 5.5m. After that the picture is less clear, and there is not yet talk of how long it will take for the flood waters to dissipate.

The rate of impact is fair lower than in New Orleans and I have no idea how long it will take for us to pull through and tidy it up.

Tntnnbltn

ABC now doing a bit on what Julia Gillard has been up to today... Ugh. Listening to her after Anna Bligh earlier is a huge difference.

Mohonky

x3n05 said:
Outside our house at 9:30AM

930AM.jpg

10AM

10AM.jpg

This is at Woolloongabba (just off Deshon St), low tide was at 9AM so no idea how high it got to by 3PM. Our house is high-set (2.8M off the ground so inside 'should' be fine unless looters get to it). We drove home through South Brisbane, car nearly stalled going through the lake that is now there.

Yo x3n, you need a place to crash let me know. No flooding where I am 20min from Gabba.

Bernbaum

Tntnnbltn said:
ABC now doing a bit on what Julia Gillard has been up to today... Ugh. Listening to her after Anna Bligh earlier is a huge difference.
Bligh looks like she's been getting 3 hrs of sleep a day whereas Gillard looks like she just stepped out of her make-up van.

Even in the Howard years, she couldn't even show up at a sausage sizzle and not look awkwardly out of place.

Bligh seems pretty well abreast of the details and it appears that if she's not addressing the press, then she's been collaborating with emergency services.

senahorse

Mohonky said:
Yo x3n, you need a place to crash let me know. No flooding where I am 20min from Gabba.

Thanks mate, we have shacked up at my mother's place, which is up pretty high on the northside. Appreciate the offer though :D

seanoff

UltimaPooh said:

The Australian government sounds like it's doing a good job, from what GAFers are reporting. It seems as if New Orleans was a major fuck up in regards to the United States, but mostly I lay the blame on the administration at the time.

FEMA also helped out in regards to placing families and individuals into residences displaced by the storm.

i've been on the end of total destruction from a cyclone, and still it only took the govt 6 or so hrs after it ended for us to start seeing real help. I would expect the response now to be much faster than that.

and i mean total destruction.
GA9700.jpg

the response was very good for the time and the level of destruction.
but now we have dedicated shelters, an advanced warning system, detailed plans for any post event contigencies up to and including that again.

ie the army move some of their heavy machinery to the airport in advance to clear the runways, the emergency services have everything that opens and shuts including sat phones etc. the army and police have pretty much total power after the event. the airlines are in line to supply jets for evacs as well as the military. all of this is planned ahead of the event. post event there is a quick rece to see the damage and problems and then the appropriate plan is wheeled out.

legend166

On a purely relative level, this is going to be more damaging to the Australian economy than Katrina was to the US economy. They're predicting it's going to cause the nation's economy to retract this quarter because of it, whereas before it was going to be 0.7% growth.

But on an absolute level, they're not at all comparable. According to Wikipedia Katrina cost $81 billion and took 1800+ lives.

Tntnnbltn

I think that in a way Brisbane was very fortunate to have the 1974 flood. It's given people something to relate the current news to. People who were around then remember the 1974 flood, and when the media says 'levels equal to or higher than 1974' people know this is serious. I think people would be a lot less prepared had 1974 not happened.

Edit: Well, that and the construction of the Wivenhoe Dam. In hindsight, the Wivenhoe Dam has probably been more significant. :lol

Salazar

seanoff said:
i've been on the end of total destruction from a cyclone, and still it only took the govt 6 or so hrs after it ended for us to start seeing real help. I would expect the response now to be much faster than that.

As entertaining as a JULIA GILLARD DOESN'T CARE ABOUT QUEENSLANDERS outburst would be.

Tntnnbltn

The Storyteller said:
:lol Kevin getting his photo op on ABC right now.
I'm watching the segment too, but get the feeling that it was more the media found him and he let them tag along. It doesn't feel overly contrived.

Dead Man

Kafel said:
I didn't want to say it, I didn't know how would Australian gaffers react.

I've looked to a lot of pics from this thread. The water didn't shock me as much as the level of "urbanism".
No offence taken here, but what do you mean by this?

dejay

Banned
Just watched a guy standing chest deep in his house. It made me look around the room I'm in now and imagine what it would be like here. Kinda freaky.

Salazar

Dead Man said:
No offence taken here, but what do you mean by this?

I suppose he meant that we build highrises and stuff. Bloody ugly ones, for the most part, but we still build 'em.

Alternatively, he has seen some photographs of bogans and derros wearing Wu Wear.

Tntnnbltn said:
I'm watching the segment too, but get the feeling that it was more the media found him and he let them tag along. It doesn't feel overly contrived.

Yeah it didn't actually, it even felt like Kevin wanted the journalist to leave him alone.
Salazar said:
I suppose he meant that we build highrises and stuff. Bloody ugly ones, for the most part, but we still build 'em.

That's what I assumed he meant too, but there isn't exactly any highrises outside of the Brisbane city pics so I dont know what he's referring to exactly.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Salazar said:

Alternatively, he has seen some photographs of bogans and derros wearing Wu Wear.
I think he's saying it looks ugly to him without the water?

Salazar

Veins said:
I think he's saying it looks ugly to him without the water?

I don't want to come down hard on places like Ipswich and Coorparoo, but he'd have a point.

Bernbaum said:

:lol :D

Would you believe I had that powerful exception to the rule in mind ? I love it. Used to go to the Dendy nearby all the time.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Why is it that only bogans, westies and Derro's seem to get flooded out?

Everytime I turn on the tv they're interviewing yet another toothless, fat hairy guy with no shirt on.

Can't they interview normal people? This shit is going out to the world FFS.

Dead Man

Rather than over analyse the poor buggers comment, I'll post some happy news for those that like snakes:

Town snake-infested after quarry bursts

Hundreds of people are stranded in the southern Queensland town of Fernvale after a quarry broke overnight, flooding homes.

Resident Trudy Hatcher says many properties in the lower parts of the Brisbane Valley town have water up to their ceiling and there are snakes everywhere.

Ms Hatcher says many homes have water up to the ceilings and there seems to be no help.

"Parents and children have been separated," she said.

"When the quarry broke, the water came through so quickly that people were stranded in their cars - half of their family on one side - the other half on the other side.

"We've got so many dogs and cats and people up here on the hill ... we're just doing what we can."

More at the link, I hope everyone is alright, sounds like it was pretty dramatic.

Router said:

Everytime I turn on the tv they're interviewing yet another toothless, fat hairy guy with no shirt on.

I thought that was normal for australia? Don't put down your countrymen so much. They look like nice guys.

Router said:

I feel horrible for thinking this too. :lol

Tntnnbltn said:
This is what it was in response to...

Ahh.

Dead Man

Router said:

Those are the normal people, see what you look like after you get flooded! Australia, we're a nation of bogans, unless we are going onto the office. :lol

dejay

Banned
Router said:

:lol

Was thinking that myself viewing from Sydney. I'm sure a lot of people don't put on their Sunday bests and comb their hair after they wake up to find their beds are floating. Also I think bogans like cameras - look at Gillard.

Shaneus said:
I was going to completely fly off the handle at you then for saying "more gradual" but you're completely right. It's still come through fucking quickly, but compared to a hurricane, the destruction is more "gradual". It's just a weird-sounding word to use in a situation where you see cars floating down a road quicker than they'd drive down it.

Haha. Relax I'm not trying to say that the current floods in Australia are something that aren't immediate or not a disaster. I guess gradual was the wrong word. Perhaps I should have said the disaster isn't an overnight thing like New Orleans was.

Really I envy you guys if your government is getting people in and out safely and hastily. I wish New Orleans didn't turn out the way it did.

I just had a person on facebook update his status to A Bull Shark spotted in a flooded street in Goodna, QLD .... This is staggering stuff. is this true!!!

dejay

Banned
UltimaPooh said:
Haha. Relax I'm not trying to say that the current floods in Australia are something that aren't immediate or not a disaster. I guess gradual was the wrong word. Perhaps I should have said the disaster isn't an overnight thing like New Orleans was.

Really I envy you guys if your government is getting people in and out safely and hastily. I wish New Orleans didn't turn out the way it did.

Katrina was on a massive scale and I think there was a lack of imagination with the administration from what I can tell looking from over here. As has been mentioned before there has been flooding in various parts of Australia for months. I remember warnings over a year ago from climatologists because La Niña weather patterns have been forecast from two years ago and that always results in well above rainfall in a lot of places in Australia. Brisbane suffered a similar flood in '74, so the flood patterns are well known.

senahorse

Bernbaum said:
For anyone in the Gap, Enoggera, or Mt. Coot-tha who isn't already informed, you've been advised to boil all drinking water to avoid contamination.

More here.

You scared me, it's the area I have evacuated to, turns out the article is from 2008 :D

Sew

chicko1983 said:
I just had a person on facebook update his status to A Bull Shark spotted in a flooded street in Goodna, QLD .... This is staggering stuff. is this true!!!
My old man heard it on ABC 24 a couple of hours back, so I guess so :lol

Bugger that. They're apparently quite aggressive.

Bernbaum

x3n05 said:
You scared me, it's the area I have evacuated to, turns out the article is from 2008 :D
My apologies!

They mentioned the boiled water thing on the ABC, and I did a quick google to see if it was a Brisbane-wide thing, and then I saw that and just assumed. My bad.

Looks like it's rural areas in the west only.

dejay

Banned
Salazar said:
Sharks in the street.

I think I speak for many when I exclaim fuck that.

Yeah, stray cats and Indian mynas shit me - can't imagine how I'd feel about a bull shark circling around my barbecue.

legend166

I'd love to get a mod to edit the thread title to say (Sharks swimming in the streets).

Something tells me that'd get a lot more yanks in here :lol

Choc

Banned
and kangaroos to!

also

the more worrying thing about things in the water is a shit ton of brown snakes are in there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom