• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: Frontiers Of Pandora delayed to 2023/2024

Umbasaborne

Banned
Damn.

Whats happening with Ubisoft?Outside of exceptions, never really liked their games, but they never had problems releasing them in time.
I think they hit a jam. They were a well oiled machine before covid, then covid caused their games to take longer than normal, and now the pipe line of shit they announced is way backed up. So they cancelled some smaller projects to free up talent to push these games out the door between next year and 2024

Zones

So Skull and Bones is supposed to carry Ubisoft this holiday?

Morgan Freeman Good Luck GIF
Skull and Bones for Ubi and Pentiment for MS... truly a battle for the ages!

giphy.gif

I kinda expected it after it missed E3.

Disappointing nonetheless. Wouldve been the only true next gen title released in 2022. This will go down as the worst year of the generation. At least year we got Ratchet and Returnal.

Gamers should be rioting right now. We paid $500 for next gen consoles only to have nothing next gen two years after launch while these companies post record profits.
Last Gen we had cross Gen with PS3 for 2 years. No different now.

We still getting good games like God of War Ragnarok and HFW this year.

If anything the pandemic delayed a lot of next gen only games. In addition to supply shortages. They aren't available on shelves yet.

They aren't going to leave money on the table with the install base of 100 million ps4s.

I expect cross Gen to stop by next year and we will see true next gen games.

robert eggers patience GIF

Elios83

2023-2024 means the 2023/2024 fiscal year?
So from April 2023 to March 2024?

In any case Ubisoft is in a really rough shape, their usual issues were with quality control and their copy and paste gaas formula ruining every IP but they could release many games on schedule. Now with covid it seems that their development pipeline was just destroyed.
Let's see if they can recover in 1-2 years.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I love Avatar, I hope it's a good game.

It looks fantastic, but I don't play graphics, so.. Take your time, and make it good.

Lethal01

I haven't cared for a AAA Ubisoft game in like a decade
And I've always had negative interest in the Avatar franchise.

But even I wanted to atleast see the game to appreciate it on a technical level

I would be willing to gamble thousands of dollars on this game being a complete ass log. There's just no way it'll end up being good.

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Wonder how many people will care about the hame such a long time after the movie?
I think theres like four sequels planned to release this decade. So they can release the game at any time between now and 2056 and still be culturally relevant.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Damn.

Whats happening with Ubisoft?Outside of exceptions, never really liked their games, but they never had problems releasing them in time.
I’m not exaggerating, the ONLY games I ever like from them was two Mario + Rabbits games, none of their other games ever appealed to me.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just a friendly reminder that Ubisoft does have a few things outside of Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and the like in their history.
I know but in all honestly Mario + Rabbits series is the only one that really appeal to me.

My feelings about the Avatar license are best summed up by the following video.

So maybe there's more paths to movie success, paths less traveled, than "iconic" characters designed to sell toys to (man)children? That's why any no name director can direct capeshit, but there's only one James Cameron.

consoul

Delaying the game until later when people will care even less about Avatar than they do now seems like a very good idea.

Neolombax

The game for the first movie was one of my guilty pleasures, I enjoyed the world they built, seemed pretty close to the movie material. The action was quite nice too, you could choose between being a marine or a navii, with different weapons and vehicles to play around with. Quite looking forward to this game.

CamHostage

Too late, but seems you should have just started a new thread. Too many missed that there was actual news (rumors, but new rumors) to talk about here.

In any case, I hope this game turns out nice, if for no other reason than the fact that SlimySnake has been holding up this game's 2021 trailer as proof that every other next-gen game developer didn't know shit about making next-gen games, and he'll be lost in a fog of rage if it doesn't beat Horizon FW in prettiness...

Last edited:

Thief1987

Hold Up Wait A Minute GIF by ABC Network

kP8Y3eu.gif
oUlZ4gu.jpg
HTzsF97.gif

Just a friendly reminder that Ubisoft does have a few things outside of Assassin’s Creed, Far Cry, and the like in their history.
Those are not nintendo exclusive, the thing that only matters for this character

Last edited:

FireFly

It's one thing for the movie to continue doing numbers after 3 weeks. I doubt that it'll still be showing 'no signs of slowing down' in 3, 6 or 9 months from now.
It doesn't need to. With a moderate rate of descent it should hit $2 billion easily.

Last edited:

Fbh

My feelings about the Avatar license are best summed up by the following video.

I agree it's always been weird how little people care about Avatar despite how successful it was.
But this is hardly fair. Avatar was a single movie released in 2009.
Both Star Wars and Marvel consist of tons of movies + TV shows + decades worth of comics in the case of Marvel. Ask these same people to name a single character from the much more recent billion dollar movie Captain Marvel (aside from Nick Fury) and let's see how many get it right

Last edited:

travolta88

Neo Member

This game sounds like it could be pretty good, although after watching the strange blue people for another 3 hours, I felt I'd watched enough blue people for a while.
I guess they're timing this to coincide with the next sequel, which will probably work out pretty well.

Top Bottom