• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Skifi28

Finally got the giantslayer sword for my barb. It was quite a fight, but it was worth it as the weapon kicks ass. I must have tried 20 different variations of running away during the big AOE attack and nothing really worked well until I said fuck it and just beat the crap out of the boss before the attack hits instead.

Last edited:

Doom85

Finished Act 2 and a bit into Act 3.

What a crazy cool final fight against Thorn. The two remaining villains seem pretty cool. Got legit creeped out upon getting close to the city when the one random guard started off kinda mildly frustrated

Season 3 Episode 303 GIF by Paramount+

then started casually suggesting murdering the refugees

ron burgundy GIF

and then transformed into the lady villain!

Oh No Surprise GIF by Nickelodeon

Also, the Emperor seems cool, but I kind of want to free Orpheus as it’ll make Lae’zel happy, and anytime I see my now girlfriend smile, I’m all:

role playing love GIF by Hyper RPG

We’ll have to see how things play out.

Also, Shadowheart’s new haircut. Fine as it is, but the contrasting eyebrows‘ color is a bit distracting. I’m sure I’ll get used to it.

Braag

I feel like I'm nearing end of Act 2 and the amount of places and things I got to do is overwhelming me. I hate it but I have fomo on content.

I arrived to Moonrise Tower and I've yet to speak with Thorm (I've already killed the rest of his family). I also met Balthazar at Shar's Temple but didn't kill him, he wants me to retrieve something for him, dunno if I should or should I just turn on him and kill him? At Shar's Temple I managed to find all the Umbral Orbs and got to the inner sanctum but didn't go in the water cause of the warning. At Moonrise tower I interacted with a wall that if I give in will take me to some hellish looking place. I'm little overwhelmed on what order I should go about all of this.

Doom85

I feel like I'm nearing end of Act 2 and the amount of places and things I got to do is overwhelming me. I hate it but I have fomo on content.

I arrived to Moonrise Tower and I've yet to speak with Thorm (I've already killed the rest of his family). I also met Balthazar at Shar's Temple but didn't kill him, he wants me to retrieve something for him, dunno if I should or should I just turn on him and kill him? At Shar's Temple I managed to find all the Umbral Orbs and got to the inner sanctum but didn't go in the water cause of the warning. At Moonrise tower I interacted with a wall that if I give in will take me to some hellish looking place. I'm little overwhelmed on what order I should go about all of this.

The main thing at this point you can miss out on if you advance things is the prisoners. Go the basement of Moonrise Towers and work on finishing the questlines there.

After that, talk to Thorm and after a bit you should be directed to the Temple of Shar and can do all the remaining stuff there.

Also, what do you mean by killing the rest of his family? His minions? He should be aggro-d then and not able to be spoken to. You might mean something else, but I don’t want to get into story spoilers.

Braag

The main thing at this point you can miss out on if you advance things is the prisoners. Go the basement of Moonrise Towers and work on finishing the questlines there.

After that, talk to Thorm and after a bit you should be directed to the Temple of Shar and can do all the remaining stuff there.

Also, what do you mean by killing the rest of his family? His minions? He should be aggro-d then and not able to be spoken to. You might mean something else, but I don’t want to get into story spoilers.
Thanks for the tip, completely missed the basement.
By his family I meant Gerringothe, Malus and Thisobald Thorm. The three creepy weirdos you meet before the tower. Dunno if they're actually his family, but share the same last name so thought maybe they are.

Doom85

Thanks for the tip, completely missed the basement.
By his family I meant Gerringothe, Malus and Thisobald Thorm. The three creepy weirdos you meet before the tower. Dunno if they're actually his family, but share the same last name so thought maybe they are.

I honestly either never noticed their last names, or just forgot that detail.

Heck, I think Thisobald I didn’t get the option to talk to him IIRC. Looking at his wiki entry, the dialogue doesn’t ring a bell while the other two I do remember (talked the toll collector into offing himself, and the surgeon dude was easy to kill.

Braag

I honestly either never noticed their last names, or just forgot that detail.

Heck, I think Thisobald I didn’t get the option to talk to him IIRC. Looking at his wiki entry, the dialogue doesn’t ring a bell while the other two I do remember (talked the toll collector into offing himself, and the surgeon dude was easy to kill.

I managed to speak all three of them to kill themselves in various ways, did end up using all my inspire points though. One of the best parts of this game is having the choice to go about each scenario in so many ways.

Doom85

shocked holy shit GIF

So these failsafes are a bit buggy and unpolished, but still the level of work they put in especially that last bit with leaving one character standing in the Grove while finishing off the last Goblin leader at the camp, like goddamn.

Larian just casually playing 5D chess up in here.

Last edited:

DanEON

Act 2 Jaheira spoiler:

She died in the first battle of the Moonrise tower. Does she have any interesting plot? I don't know if I reload the save and try to keep her alive.

Mister Wolf

Act 2 Jaheira spoiler:

She died in the first battle of the Moonrise tower. Does she have any interesting plot? I don't know if I reload the save and try to keep her alive.

I would reload. I did that fight and made sure I buffed her and healed her when her health was low.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Anyone playing BG3 on PS5 and VRR capable tv? Is VRR working? I saw performance mode has nasty constant screen tearing at the bottom of the screen, wonder if vrr gets rid of it or not

Luipadre

Gold Member
Anyone playing BG3 on PS5 and VRR capable tv? Is VRR working? I saw performance mode has nasty constant screen tearing at the bottom of the screen, wonder if vrr gets rid of it or not

I found the answer, its not... sigh. Far Cry 6, jedi survivor now this. Whats the point of the VRR on ps5 then lol

calistan

Gold Member
You'll miss a significant chunk of content in act 3.
Just let it go. There's so much stuff in this game, you'll wind up with a ridiculous amount of side quests if you save everyone.

She died in that battle in my game too, but I wasn't tempted to reload. I figured if she was that stupid, she was just a liability anyway.

Doom85

Just let it go. There's so much stuff in this game, you'll wind up with a ridiculous amount of side quests if you save everyone.

She died in that battle in my game too, but I wasn't tempted to reload. I figured if she was that stupid, she was just a liability anyway.

That stupid? Were you not controlling her? She was in my party as a temporary 5th member in that fight.

Mossybrew

On the outskirts of the city finally. What a game, frustrating at first, kinda like Elden Ring last year, but after time you realize its truly something special, goty for sure.

calistan

Gold Member
That stupid? Were you not controlling her? She was in my party as a temporary 5th member in that fight.
She was doing her own thing, for the brief time she survived. Transformed into a weak jaguar or something like that, dived into a group of strong enemies and got absolutely pounded.

There must be some trigger that I missed that would have allowed her to become controllable. I spoke to her outside the tower, she never mentioned joining my party. No great loss, I think.

Doom85

She was doing her own thing, for the brief time she survived. Transformed into a weak jaguar or something like that, dived into a group of strong enemies and got absolutely pounded.

There must be some trigger that I missed that would have allowed her to become controllable. I spoke to her outside the tower, she never mentioned joining my party. No great loss, I think.

Well, there has been a few things related to the Harpers in Act 3 from where I’ve gotten so far. Not sure if her dying affects it or not.

calistan

Gold Member
Well, there has been a few things related to the Harpers in Act 3 from where I’ve gotten so far. Not sure if her dying affects it or not.
It probably does! Act 3 has been a Harper-free zone for me so far. The only one who survived the Moonrise battle was the trader from the inn. It was just a pile of Harper corpses in that tower.

Narrowing the scope of it a bit has been fine for me, I've played almost the entire game without Gale after he got angry with me and walked out very near the start. More stuff to discover if I ever do a second playthrough.

Doom85

It probably does! Act 3 has been a Harper-free zone for me so far. The only one who survived the Moonrise battle was the trader from the inn. It was just a pile of Harper corpses in that tower.

Narrowing the scope of it a bit has been fine for me, I've played almost the entire game without Gale after he got angry with me and walked out very near the start. More stuff to discover if I ever do a second playthrough.

I probably had half the Harpers survive, Jaheira included (probably did help I was controlling her, Shadowheart mainly healed everyone while just running around with Spirit Guardians), but it helped I freed those Gnolls in the kitchen a while back and they came in clutch in dealing with those archers on the rafters. Then Wyll started weeding out the crowd below with Fireball and Jaheira actually had a pretty useful ice spell to help as well.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Curious about patch 3 improvements. Hopefully more polish and performance improvements on PS5 too and some QoL features

Fools idol

Banned
awesome...if they can polish up act 3 then its game of the year tier
I think the issues must be build / class / choice dependant because in both my playthroughs I didn't experience that many issues in act 3 beside some texture popping and broken quests. Which in a game this size does not effect my opinion on it whatsoever. Can't wait for the patch to further cement it's GOTY status

I think the issues must be build / class / choice dependant because in both my playthroughs I didn't experience that many issues in act 3 beside some texture popping and broken quests. Which in a game this size does not effect my opinion on it whatsoever. Can't wait for the patch to further cement it's GOTY status
wrecked it for me. I think maybe I do too much stuff, like 100%ing every little thing and it overloads and turns it into a bethesda game or something

I'll read the patch 3 notes with great interest

Fools idol

Banned
wrecked it for me. I think maybe I do too much stuff, like 100%ing every little thing and it overloads and turns it into a bethesda game or something

I'll read the patch 3 notes with great interest
I'm fully aware that there are major issues. For example , there are characters that will re-appear alive if you killed them earlier on like nothing happenend XD

Larian will sort it out.

Hugare

I got really surprised when I reached the "point of no return" message in Act 2 in The Gauntlet of Shar

Like Braag Braag , I dont know what to do. But based on what Doom85 Doom85 said, I'll go for the tower (or do some side questing)

I've just saved Oliver/Thaniel. Seemed important, but there were no repercurssions so far (probably later)

It's incredible how this game keeps getting better and better. Act II is already better than I, imo.

PS: I've been resting after pretty much every battle to recover magic points (wasting a bunch of resources, unfortunately).

Quick rest is so useless, imo, since it doesnt recover magic points, only HP. Having 3 spellcasters in my party, not recovering magic points makes it kinda pointless.

Last edited:

calistan

Gold Member
PS: I've been resting after pretty much every battle to recover magic points (wasting a bunch of resources, unfortunately).

Quick rest is so useless, imo, since it doesnt recover magic points, only HP. Having 3 spellcasters in my party, not recovering magic points makes it kinda pointless.
Warlocks get their spell slots back after a quick rest, don't they? I know my wizard character also has the ability to recover some spell slots between battles, so I tend to use that if I don't want to do a full sleep.

Resources are plentiful though. I just avoid sleeping on the rare occasions when I need to get things done before an event that's scheduled to happen overnight, such as when somebody says I'll meet you at your camp.

Doom85

I got really surprised when I reached the "point of no return" message in Act 2 in The Gauntlet of Shar

Like Braag Braag , I dont know what to do. But based on what Doom85 Doom85 said, I'll go for the tower (or do some side questing)

I've just saved Oliver/Thaniel. Seemed important, but there were no repercurssions so far (probably later)

It's incredible how this game keeps getting better and better. Act II is already better than I, imo.

Short rests recover spell slots for Warlocks (this is balanced since they have less spell slots than Wizards or Sorcerers) and ki points for Monks. Even if you’re using neither, short rests are still useful as it’s still a half max HP for your entire party you get twice without needing a long rest since long rest uses food/drinks (though if you’ve been exploring, you should have a ton of food and drink over time). If you feel a battle shouldn’t be too difficult by a certain point, it’s not a bad idea to have your spellcasters focus on using cantrips and simply short rest after the fight.

DanEON

I did the Temple of Shar before the Tower and now all the tieflings are dead on the top of corpse pile in the basement. Its kinda sad. :messenger_pensive:

Doom85

All I can say is this: Minthara is a better waifu than Shadowheart. But Karlach is still the best.

I’m all about that Bae’zel life.

4qUoo01.jpg

Seriously, it becomes so sweet how protective she becomes of you. And while she seems to try to keep to githyanki customs on romance at first, she loosens up over time and just openly shows her affection.

I was thinking Shadowheart for next playthrough (I was going for her my first game here, but Lae’zel just came on to me first and I went for it) but I think I’ll actually go for Karlach second, she seems so fun and enjoyable to be around.

Doom85

I did the Temple of Shar before the Tower and now all the tieflings are dead on the top of corpse pile in the basement. Its kinda sad. :messenger_pensive:

Did you still get to make a choice when it came to Shadowheart’s allegiance to her goddess? I assumed that option would be there regardless if you had done the Tower yet or not, but just curious.

If you want a pro-tip, don’t try to change Shadowheart’s mind instantly. It makes the skill check DC higher to pass. Let the other individual you meet at this part talk to her first and then when you see a Persuasion option, the DC is more reasonable at this point. Neat detail that shows trying to push Shadowheart too quickly into changing her mind isn’t the best strategy.

Hudo

Gold Member
I’m all about that Bae’zel life.

4qUoo01.jpg

Seriously, it becomes so sweet how protective she becomes of you. And while she seems to try to keep to githyanki customs on romance at first, she loosens up over time and just openly shows her affection.

I was thinking Shadowheart for next playthrough (I was going for her my first game here, but Lae’zel just came on to me first and I went for it) but I think I’ll actually go for Karlach second, she seems so fun and enjoyable to be around.
Problem is that she's a frog

...and I kinda killed her when I found her trapped in the cage. She didn't leave me any choice. She said that either I free her or she would kill me. So I killed her because that was the righteous thing to do.

DanEON

Did you still get to make a choice when it came to Shadowheart’s allegiance to her goddess? I assumed that option would be there regardless if you had done the Tower yet or not, but just curious.

If you want a pro-tip, don’t try to change Shadowheart’s mind instantly. It makes the skill check DC higher to pass. Let the other individual you meet at this part talk to her first and then when you see a Persuasion option, the DC is more reasonable at this point. Neat detail that shows trying to push Shadowheart too quickly into changing her mind isn’t the best strategy.
yes, she changes her mind even if you don't do anything

Hugare

Warlocks get their spell slots back after a quick rest, don't they? I know my wizard character also has the ability to recover some spell slots between battles, so I tend to use that if I don't want to do a full sleep.

Resources are plentiful though. I just avoid sleeping on the rare occasions when I need to get things done before an event that's scheduled to happen overnight, such as when somebody says I'll meet you at your camp.
Short rests recover spell slots for Warlocks (this is balanced since they have less spell slots than Wizards or Sorcerers) and ki points for Monks. Even if you’re using neither, short rests are still useful as it’s still a half max HP for your entire party you get twice without needing a long rest since long rest uses food/drinks (though if you’ve been exploring, you should have a ton of food and drink over time). If you feel a battle shouldn’t be too difficult by a certain point, it’s not a bad idea to have your spellcasters focus on using cantrips and simply short rest after the fight.

The spellcasters that I've mentioned were my bard, my girlfriend's sorcerer and Shadowheart. The only melee centric one in my party is Karlach (my bard kinda hits hard too)

My Karlach is crazy OP. I equipped her with that mythril's armour, and she also can hit twice per round. The woman is a tank.

My Shadowheart also can cast some spirits that circle around her, damaging any foe that touches it. It's pretty OP.

I wreck enemies just by walking around with her
All I can say is this: Minthara is a better waifu than Shadowheart. But Karlach is still the best.

After "curing" Karlach, I was "damn, I want to romance her so bad"

Unfortunately I'll have to stick with Shadowheart for this playthrough, it seems

Last edited:

Doom85

Problem is that she's a frog

...and I kinda killed her when I found her trapped in the cage. She didn't leave me any choice. She said that either I free her or she would kill me. So I killed her because that was the righteous thing to do.

Safe Space David GIF by MyPetHippoProductions
Fetish Preference GIF by BuzzFeed

Weird, she didn’t say that to me. She did make it sound like it was either kill the tielfings or they’d kill her, but I was able to deceive the tieflings into leaving by pretending I’d kill Lae’zel. And IIRC people have said if you have to kill the tieflings, it doesn’t ever get found out by the ones at the grove or such.

Also she’s one hell of a badass. At this point, she can attack twice with her action (soon to be thrice once she gets one more level), can Surge once per short rest to use an action again, and she’s got an enchanted bow that in addition to the dice damage, Dex modifier, and enchanted weapon modifier but ALSO adds her strength modifier which is max +5 by this point (and another piece of equipment adds 1D4 acid damage every attack).

Just finished a dangerous side quest in Act 3 in which the enemies were exploding things everywhere, two party members temporarily died while a third was down, but she endured and took out the remaining enemies solo.

I’ve got nothing but love and respect for the true Githyanki Queen.

SMDuZjV.jpg

Hudo

Gold Member
Safe Space David GIF by MyPetHippoProductions
Fetish Preference GIF by BuzzFeed

Weird, she didn’t say that to me. She did make it sound like it was either kill the tielfings or they’d kill her, but I was able to deceive the tieflings into leaving by pretending I’d kill Lae’zel. And IIRC people have said if you have to kill the tieflings, it doesn’t ever get found out by the ones at the grove or such.

Also she’s one hell of a badass. At this point, she can attack twice with her action (soon to be thrice once she gets one more level), can Surge once per short rest to use an action again, and she’s got an enchanted bow that in addition to the dice damage, Dex modifier, and enchanted weapon modifier but ALSO adds her strength modifier which is max +5 by this point (and another piece of equipment adds 1D4 acid damage every attack).

Just finished a dangerous side quest in Act 3 in which the enemies were exploding things everywhere, two party members temporarily died while a third was down, but she endured and took out the remaining enemies solo.

I’ve got nothing but love and respect for the true Githyanki Queen.

SMDuZjV.jpg
Weird that she didn't say that to you. Maybe that is somehow triggered by specific choices on the Nautiloid? But yeah, I can understand why one would go for her and why one would have her in the party. Now that I think about it, many characters are genuinely useful. The only one I didn't really use at all was Halsin.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Double dipped the game on PS5. Wanted to start a new playthrough and got this message "Joining failed:something went wrong on our end, please try again" On the second try the game crashed. Restarted the PS5 tried again, same results. I literally cant start a singleplayer campaign. wtf is this?

Last edited:

Doom85

Double dipped the game on PS5. Wanted to start a new playthrough and got this message "Joining failed:something went wrong on our end, please try again" On the second try the game crashed. Restarted the PS5 tried again, same results. I literally cant start a singleplayer campaign. wtf is this?

Bad timing unfortunately, apparently it’s a PSN issue that just popped up (as I was playing fine four hours ago) and everyone is having issues with it. Everyone though says if you disconnect your PS5 from your Wi Fi and then start the game, you should be okay.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Bad timing unfortunately, apparently it’s a PSN issue that just popped up (as I was playing fine four hours ago) and everyone is having issues with it. Everyone though says if you disconnect your PS5 from your Wi Fi and then start the game, you should be okay.

Eh nice. Hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow..

calistan

Gold Member
Immersion-breaking glitches at the end of Shadowheart's questline in Act 3. The game is mostly so brilliant, it gets a pass for things that would get a critical savaging in other games, but this was maximum bullshit.

Had probably the longest and most difficult fight of the entire game, against the all the followers of Shar. It ended with me killing everyone except the leader, who was knocked out awaiting a cutscene to decide her fate.

But when I went to talk to her, instead of the cutscene she became a merchant. Just standing there, waiting to trade or barter. If I left the merchant screen she'd be unconscious on the floor again.

Anyway, the only thing I could do was kill her while she was downed, and then I went to the next room to see about Shadowheart's parents. Big cutscene which was supposed to end with a decision to kill or save them, but I was never offered the option. It just played out without any input from me. I reloaded that part and it worked okay second time, but there's no way I was going to do the big fight again, so that part had to stay broken. I'll never know what the mistress of the temple had to say for herself.

Last edited:
Immersion-breaking glitches at the end of Shadowheart's questline in Act 3. The game is mostly so brilliant, it gets a pass for things that would get a critical savaging in other games, but this was maximum bullshit.

Had probably the longest and most difficult fight of the entire game, against the all the followers of Shar. It ended with me killing everyone except the leader, who was knocked out awaiting a cutscene to decide her fate.

But when I went to talk to her, instead of the cutscene she became a merchant. Just standing there, waiting to trade or barter. If I left the merchant screen she'd be unconscious on the floor again.

Anyway, the only thing I could do was kill her while she was downed, and then I went to the next room to see about Shadowheart's parents. Big cutscene which was supposed to end with a decision to kill or save them, but I was never offered the option. It just played out without any input from me. I reloaded that part and it worked okay second time, but there's no way I was going to do the big fight again, so that part had to stay broken. I'll never know what the mistress of the temple had to say for herself.
Glitches are bitches. That part went okay for me but I had lots of problems elsewhere in act 3.

I used to date that chick in Baldur's Gate 2. When I was trying to pull her in that game she said to me "greater men than you have walked across lava to kiss a dog because it licked my hand." Classic line that I remembered for 20 years lol

mejin

First time playing the series and I'm well a little overwhelmed lol

I'm in Act 1. I found a chest which is protected by magic. How can I open it?

Top Bottom