• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

calistan

Gold Member
Glitches are bitches. That part went okay for me but I had lots of problems elsewhere in act 3.

I used to date that chick in Baldur's Gate 2. When I was trying to pull her in that game she said to me "greater men than you have walked across lava to kiss a dog because it licked my hand." Classic line that I remembered for 20 years lol
The bit afterwards, where you can sacrifice -2 points on one stat in exchange for +2 on another stat, that was also broken. It just kept taking the -2 without giving anything back. Found the answer on Reddit, it seems to be a common bug - the solution is to save your game before choosing the stat to sacrifice, then quit to desktop and reload.

Braag

There's a prayer book nearby, read it next to the chest.
I think you need someone with good arcana to actually spot it, as it's hidden. Might have been some other skill like investigation as it's a while since I was at that part, but yeah, it's hidden near the statue.

lmimmfn

I’m all about that Bae’zel life.

4qUoo01.jpg

Seriously, it becomes so sweet how protective she becomes of you. And while she seems to try to keep to githyanki customs on romance at first, she loosens up over time and just openly shows her affection.

I was thinking Shadowheart for next playthrough (I was going for her my first game here, but Lae’zel just came on to me first and I went for it) but I think I’ll actually go for Karlach second, she seems so fun and enjoyable to be around.
Im still in Act 1 with only the Creche part remaining before i move to Act 2. I was using Karlach as my tank and switched to Lae'Zel for the Creche, wow, shes way better, 64 health vs 56 and gets 3 attaches per turn vs 2 for Karlach at level 6. Going to find it difficult to bring Karlach back.

After installing patch 2 and 90+ hours of playtime my game just wont get passed the title screen any more, just hangs indefinitly untill I close it. Tried both vulcan and dx11, a bunch of "fixes" ive seen floating around and nothing seems to work. I'm redownloading the game so hopefully that does something but pretty frustering that this just came out of nowhere

calistan

Gold Member
Im still in Act 1 with only the Creche part remaining before i move to Act 2. I was using Karlach as my tank and switched to Lae'Zel for the Creche, wow, shes way better, 64 health vs 56 and gets 3 attaches per turn vs 2 for Karlach at level 6. Going to find it difficult to bring Karlach back.
Keeping 'spare' characters in active rotation is something I've found difficult, or at least it breaks the flow somewhat.

I usually leave Karlach and Astarion at home (Gale is long gone) but they have interesting storylines that are all coming to a head in Act 3. That means having to drag them out of camp when I reach the appropriate location, level them up two or three times, then realise they don't have the best equipment or I've forgotten how to use them properly. Karlach always seems particularly disappointed to be sent back to camp.

lmimmfn

Keeping 'spare' characters in active rotation is something I've found difficult, or at least it breaks the flow somewhat.

I usually leave Karlach and Astarion at home (Gale is long gone) but they have interesting storylines that are all coming to a head in Act 3. That means having to drag them out of camp when I reach the appropriate location, level them up two or three times, then realise they don't have the best equipment or I've forgotten how to use them properly. Karlach always seems particularly disappointed to be sent back to camp.
yes, its a difficult choice, i did most of Act 1 with Asterion(traps/lockpicking etc.), Karlach(tank) and Shadowheart(main healer) and that was working fantastic until i took Lae'Zel for a spin. Luckily i had loads of extra armor, rings etc. to kit her out.
I was using Gale for a bit but early on at low levels he was forever needing healing so dropped him, havnt used Wyll or Halsin, i might level them up regardless in preperation for Act 2.

Its a nice touch that they all make you feel bad for leaving them in the camp :messenger_grinning:

SCB3

Alright, now that I'm finally done with Starfield, time to jump into BG3, its my first time playing one of these CRPGs (unless I count The Witcher and an hour or 2 of Divinity: OS) and the first hour is going well? I like the setting so far, Eldritch Aliens vs High Fantasy is something I never thought to mix and it works!

Having never played D&D this should be interesting

SCB3

Yo wtf is Gale's problem, he got downed and poisoned my entire party and left him alive but I was unable to do anything, not even rest at camp, so had to leave him in camp and take other people and do the fights again, fucking prick

Took a break from the game waiting for the next patch, it's nice to have a game like Starfield as backup. Now ready to jump back in after the new patch tomorrow.

Last edited:

calistan

Gold Member
Decided to dust off Astarion and finish his questline (he needed levelling up from 6 all the way to 12 - that's how little I've used him) and had the rare pleasure of basically one-shotting a boss. Absolutely ridiculously easy.

So the boss Cazador moves first, and casts some sort of nasty spell, which Wyll instantly nullifies with a counterspell. Cazador turns into mist and makes the mistake of hiding on a ledge near where my party starts.

Shadowheart casts Daylight to reveal him. Then my wizard character just saunters over and blasts him into the chasm with thunderwave. Dead and done. His minions still needed cleaning up, but that was stupidly easy.

I let Astarion complete the ritual and become king of the vampires, but he's still going back into storage at the camp - I've never figured out how to use him effectively.

Skifi28

I hope patch 3 brings the performance improvements they've been bragging about. I've put the game aside for far too long and I want to jump right back in and finish act3. Hopefully with more than 30-35fps.

Luipadre

Gold Member
I switched to quality mode on ps5. The fps dropped a lot in performance and i cant stand screen tearing. If they fix the tearing i might switch back. Also hopefully they can improve the texture loading in cutscenes

SCB3

I will say only a few hours in and the VA is really fucking good, its up there with the Bioware games, and I think I'm getting used to all the D&D stuff a bit more, though I kept losing an early fight in a Church basement that I lockpicked into, 5 on 4 and I could barely get through the door to even get to them as all but 1 were ranged attackers

Log says, "we should talk to Voss, who's waiting in the Sharess' Caress taproom."

This is after I refused Rapheal's deal. Voss us there, I just can't initiate a conversation or anything with him.
Just read this in the patch 3 notes:

"Voss should now speak to you while in the Taproom if he previously was uninteractable and he will trigger the correct dialogues when you talk to him in the Undercity."

Maybe act 3 is acceptable now. Thinking about doing that tactician run now instead of waiting for enhanced edition

Last edited:

Fools idol

Banned
Just seen a stream of act 3 on the new patch for a couple hours and it seems most major glitches in relation to quests and quest givers are now fixed which is fantastic news.

Mossybrew

Hmmm why are characters giving me stuff now when I remove them from the party? Astarion even gave me the boots he had equipped.

Senua

Gold Member
Act 3 is annoying where it's 60fps if I stand still anywhere, but as soon as I move it drops down to 40s, with low GPU and CPU utlization

calistan

Gold Member
Patch didn't change it for me. And both have the same issue!
Any framerate problems for me have been fixed by quitting and reloading the game. Sometimes I’d see it start to stutter when panning the camera, especially if I’d been playing for a while, but after reloading it would be perfectly smooth again. Memory leak or something like that?

Zug

Decided to dust off Astarion and finish his questline (he needed levelling up from 6 all the way to 12 - that's how little I've used him) and had the rare pleasure of basically one-shotting a boss. Absolutely ridiculously easy.

So the boss Cazador moves first, and casts some sort of nasty spell, which Wyll instantly nullifies with a counterspell. Cazador turns into mist and makes the mistake of hiding on a ledge near where my party starts.

Shadowheart casts Daylight to reveal him. Then my wizard character just saunters over and blasts him into the chasm with thunderwave. Dead and done. His minions still needed cleaning up, but that was stupidly easy.

I let Astarion complete the ritual and become king of the vampires, but he's still going back into storage at the camp - I've never figured out how to use him effectively.

Astarion was an absolute DPS monster in my game as a thief/gloomy ranger, combined with very high defenses and mobility, and an outstanding out of combat utility only surpassed by a bard. He was the one companion that I couldn't really switch over easily.

calistan

Gold Member
Astarion was an absolute DPS monster in my game as a thief/gloomy ranger, combined with very high defenses and mobility, and an outstanding out of combat utility only surpassed by a bard. He was the one companion that I couldn't really switch over easily.
How so? He seemed weak to me, just basic attacks and no strong spells, but I found Astarion after I'd already got a core team I settled on quite early.

It's amazing that there are so many viable choices for combat strategy. I never even tried bard class either. There's no single 'best' class, or probably even a best build within that class. Everything has potential.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Wow some awesome changes to Tactician mode for difficulty, lots of bumps to enemies, especially bosses - good shit Larian!!

They use their ears, unlike 99% of other devs it seems.

How so? He seemed weak to me, just basic attacks and no strong spells, but I found Astarion after I'd already got a core team I settled on quite early.

It's amazing that there are so many viable choices for combat strategy. I never even tried bard class either. There's no single 'best' class, or probably even a best build within that class. Everything has potential.
Rogues like Astarion get very high damage from sneak attacks. Eg. run out of sight/hide/sneak up behind then critical, that type of thing. Can also have very high armour class even when not wearing armour through a combination of dex bonus + special equipment and spells that boost AC on the condition you aren't wearing armour, which also lets you move very far/freely.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Its really amazing to see the difference between dev teams when it comes to patch support. Game came out 1.5 months ago and Larian released 6 hotfixes and 3 huge fucking patches meanwhile starfield came out 3 weeks ago and recieved 1 tiny hotfix with 3 quest fix, same goes to jedi survivor. Respawn was slow as shit with the fixes. Larian is just in a different league

Last edited:

Boss Man

It would be neat for BG4/DS3 if you could send your “spare” companions off to adventure alone with each other for some minor rewards (like equipping themselves) and story building.

Last edited:

JCK75

I’ve managed to get my team to level to 5 now, so the Underdark is a little less ominous. Saying that, I’ve just found myself at some arcane tower, protected by magical turrets. I’m currently dashing and hiding my way through the tower and it’s outer walls without any obvious end goal in sight.
You need to reach the bottom floor, I'll let you figure out how to activate the elevator, but everything you need is on that floor.. there is a boss fight up top that you can reach once you activate it.. and some of the plants you can loot are requested by the mind flare you meet in the mushroom colony.

Top Bottom