• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

SCB3

Played a good couple of hours this evening and got barely anywhere! But its not a bad thing, I'm learning still

I decided to go to the Goblin Camp as I got a prompt that an area would be too difficult and after a good half hour of trying to actually get to said camp I made it in, after a long grueling fight with some goblins, I managed to clear this dungeon and rescue Vodo, cool, then looking at the map I completed the objective "Kill the 3 Leaders" except

Sike, I have 2 more in different sections! Fuck, better get back to camp and rest up, this is gonna take a bit longer to to than I thought!

ebevan91

Playing the new update for the first time and I'm getting a solid 60fps in the city now. 2 large patches ago it was borderline unplayable.

GOTY.

lmimmfn

Just reached act 2 and made it to the Last Light Inn(and conversations etc. within), this game is absolutely fcuking amazing.

Fleshed out side quests with conversations per quest and motion captured scenes per dialog selection that are different dependent on what you did previously, and a really interesting/intriguing storyline.

None of this junk busy work crap that's plagued AAA RPGs.

I havnt loved a game since Witcher 3 and previously Dragon Age Origins but this is a huge step above those, wow.

I feel like I'm in this story.

GOTY for sure!

Last edited:

Doom85

Act 3, Raphael:

HOLY SHIT, WHAT A CRAZY FIGHT! It got so intense, had two separate moments when he transformed and took out all but one of my party members (Hope would also be alive, I kept her in the back to mass heal when needed). Honestly, the big guy demon I persuaded to help me might have been a hindrance as he’d constantly hit the demon soldiers in their first form causing them to explore fire on my party members, like, BRUH. But he came in handy when it was just down to Raphael, he got some good hits in.

My Dwarf Rogue was the MVP for killing him though, she got in so much Sneak Attack from above as Raphael eventually became obsessed with taking down Lae‘zel but her AC is like 23 plus she has Shield spell so he wasn’t doing much.

Admittedly the fight might have gone easier if I had taken out the pillars sooner. Once it seemed like they might be helping Raphael, and then I saw Wyll can one shot a pillar with Eldritch Blast despite a pillar being 99 HP each (guess they’re weak to EB), the pillars were soon gone.

Sucks we couldn’t save Hope’s sister, not sure if it was an option. She seemed pretty uninterested in leaving Raphael.

And the song, god damn. This song alone should give them a guaranteed win for Best Music (or Original Song if it’s a category). Kudos to Raph’s voice actor!

But yeah, this fight had the most close calls yet, I’m basically running on fumes for potions, but fuck yeah, we did it! And hit Level 12 as a result!

Just Do It Yes GIF by Rocky
Walter White Win GIF by Breaking Bad
Go Team Win GIF by Disney+
season 2 the secret box GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

DelireMan7

So I started it last week and I have a blast. Did a gnome druid and really like it. Especially the fact that my small size give me access to specific entrance.
I am in love with Lae'zel. Love her character so much.

Then this week-end I introduce a friend to the game. We started a splitscreen coop and we had a blast. He bought the game and we'll continue online.
Did a paladin for this run and love buffing people and protect them with some reactions skills.

My only grip on coop is not being able to speak with party members controlled by the other players.
We both have our character and the control of one party member (you can switch whenever you want the control). He controls Astarion and I can't speak with him... If I want I have to take the control of it (via Multiplayer menu).
A bit annoying but it's a minor complaint.
It's also nice to let him manage this character and the relationship with it. I am happy with my Lae'zel (I just can't drop her. So good from combat to personality)

Also annoying thing in splitscreen is sound in dialog. Sometimes the sound from the second player is mute. It makes sense if also speak to someone on my side but sometimes I don't have dialog and he still don't get sound...
It's nice to couch coop but I feel like online with each a full screen is better gameplay wise.

So yeah, the game is complete fire so far !

SCB3

This is gonna take me months to complete isn't it? I've not even got past the first big dungeon yet where I have to kill the 3 Goblin leaders and rescue Haslin, I've killed 2 and that was a fun time of shoving one of them of a ledge into a bottomless pit over and over.

Getting Haslin is proving to be difficult as I'm trying to balance killing a spawned spider and stopping a Goblin from opening a pen for the Worgs to come out, being at a disadvantage already in terms of numbers is hard, last thign I need is 2 Worgs coming out

calistan

Gold Member
This is gonna take me months to complete isn't it? I've not even got past the first big dungeon yet where I have to kill the 3 Goblin leaders and rescue Haslin, I've killed 2 and that was a fun time of shoving one of them of a ledge into a bottomless pit over and over.

Getting Haslin is proving to be difficult as I'm trying to balance killing a spawned spider and stopping a Goblin from opening a pen for the Worgs to come out, being at a disadvantage already in terms of numbers is hard, last thign I need is 2 Worgs coming out
Set Halsin free first and he'll take care of everything else pretty quickly.

SCB3

Set Halsin free first and he'll take care of everything else pretty quickly.
That was the plan but the last 2 times I tried the ducking goblins threw a fire bomb in front of his cage and he retreated, it’s RNG for sure, I’ll be trying again later though so I’ll try and get him out asap

SCB3

That was the plan but the last 2 times I tried the ducking goblins threw a fire bomb in front of his cage and he retreated, it’s RNG for sure, I’ll be trying again later though so I’ll try and get him out asap
So Halsin is pretty good huh? I finally killed all 3 Goblin leaders and now after alone series of wrapping up quests need to go to the Underdark, but I have 1 Fast Travel down there with a massive locked gate and 2 statues firing at me if I unlock it at all, wtf do I do?

DelireMan7

I love this game.

During a long rest, I had Lae'zel trying to kill me. I standing still because I was sure she will not do it... but she did... Then my party had to kill her (actually we used the non lethal option, curious to see if we will see her again).
Then Volo, said he could remove the tadpole. So I let him perform an "eye surgery"... Well I lost an eye in the process xD

Also surprised an ogre and an hobgoblin having doggystyle sex... This game is so good !

lmimmfn

So Halsin is pretty good huh? I finally killed all 3 Goblin leaders and now after alone series of wrapping up quests need to go to the Underdark, but I have 1 Fast Travel down there with a massive locked gate and 2 statues firing at me if I unlock it at all, wtf do I do?
shoot a fireball at the blue light at the top of the statue, will stop it firing and you can open the gate but watch out for the minotaur thing.

lmimmfn

I love this game.

During a long rest, I had Lae'zel trying to kill me. I standing still because I was sure she will not do it... but she did... Then my party had to kill her (actually we used the non lethal option, curious to see if we will see her again).
Then Volo, said he could remove the tadpole. So I let him perform an "eye surgery"... Well I lost an eye in the process xD

Also surprised an ogre and an hobgoblin having doggystyle sex... This game is so good !
The synthetic eye that Volo gives you lets you see enemies that are invisible so its a handy perk.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Has there been any update on Xbox version release date? Really dont want to have to buy this for PS5 but I cant wait much longer

XXL

Remember this game is extremely flexible on how to achieve goals. Load a save before releasing him and see if you can find a different method, because I promise you that's not the only way.

calistan

Gold Member
Gah! Approaching the final battle and the damned thing crashed to desktop. I generally save quite frequently, but this bit was just a long slog of turn-based escaping, so I hadn't saved for 45 minutes.

Not sure I can face doing that again tonight.

Completely new to this type of game...its intruiging. Can anyone explain what I have to do when a character is downed. I can't end their turn...it just hangs on them.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Completely new to this type of game...its intruiging. Can anyone explain what I have to do when a character is downed. I can't end their turn...it just hangs on them.
usually it skips automatically, but if it gets stuck just switch to a different character manually (click their portrait or if you're using a controller, hit L2 and select the character)

calistan

Gold Member
Yesss! I finally finished it, that was absolutely epic! The best RPG I've ever played, I don't think I've ever been dragged into a game's story like I was for this one.

Took me 143 hours, I was around 100,000 XP past level 12. I think I did almost everything, and got the endings I wanted for all my companions.

It was relatively easy, for sure. None of the enemies or bosses gave me any trouble after I'd reached act 3, even the final battle was one and done. But so many unforgettable moments, brilliant characters and scenarios. I didn't need it to be particularly challenging, I prefer games that make me feel like a badass after I've levelled up enough.

The only disappointment is that now it's all over, and it's made most other story-based games seem shallow by comparison. Damn near perfect.

Bkdk

Slightly off topic, really hope larian or some western rpg game company would hire Vemperen, his face mods are pretty awesome and all of the western aaa rpg dev gotta find a better character creation team. All of them are atrocious at the moment.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yesss! I finally finished it, that was absolutely epic! The best RPG I've ever played, I don't think I've ever been dragged into a game's story like I was for this one.

Took me 143 hours, I was around 100,000 XP past level 12. I think I did almost everything, and got the endings I wanted for all my companions.

It was relatively easy, for sure. None of the enemies or bosses gave me any trouble after I'd reached act 3, even the final battle was one and done. But so many unforgettable moments, brilliant characters and scenarios. I didn't need it to be particularly challenging, I prefer games that make me feel like a badass after I've levelled up enough.

The only disappointment is that now it's all over, and it's made most other story-based games seem shallow by comparison. Damn near perfect.

Time to go again as the dark urge with new companions!

calistan

Gold Member
Time to go again as the dark urge with new companions!
Definitely! I've got Xenoblade 3 and Starfield unplayed in my backlog, so those are probably next, but I'll be back to Baldur's Gate eventually.

Slightly off topic, really hope larian or some western rpg game company would hire Vemperen, his face mods are pretty awesome and all of the western aaa rpg dev gotta find a better character creation team. All of them are atrocious at the moment.
I actually prefer the BG3 style of minimal facial editing. Change a few things like hair, tattoos, and you're done. The real character personalisation comes from what you do in the game.

It's a bit of a turn-off when the first thing I see in a game is a mirror with a massive editing suite, sliders for setting the width of the bridge of the nose and stuff like that. I just don't have the time, skill, or inclination to make a character that looks as good as the ones Larian offers. Click the randomise button and you end up with some weird clown character. Save that shit for The Sims, I think.

Mikey Jr.

So I'm debating between this and 2077. How is this game feeling now after 3 patches on PS5?

Should I start on 2077 and wait on bg3? Or is it in great shape now?

T4keD0wN

So I'm debating between this and 2077. How is this game feeling now after 3 patches on PS5?

Should I start on 2077 and wait on bg3? Or is it in great shape now?
Cyberpunk is pretty much in its final state, while BG 3 will still get better with patches. It would be much easier to answer if we actually knew what will they update in the future and if they will make some drastic changes/dlc/definite edition. Id go with Cyberpunk first.

Mikey Jr.

Cyberpunk is pretty much in its final state, while BG 3 will still get better with patches. It would be much easier to answer if we actually knew what will they update in the future and if they will make some drastic changes/dlc/definite edition. Id go with Cyberpunk first.

Only this I'm a bit medium for 2077 but I really really want to play bg3 haha.

Thanks I'll think about it.

Solidus_T

I think my team is OP.
So first of all, what an awesome fight! The music, the buildup and the options you have to convince Yurgir and attempt to plead with Raphael are great.
I managed to kill him with him only attacking ONCE. I had multiple summons ready, a water elemental by my MC warlock, a deva from Shadowheart, and another air myrmidion by Jaheira. I also had Laezel with warmaster gauntlets, Boots of Persistence and Armor of Persistence which make her what I call "Walk Up Exterminator"
Immediately I bound the nearest cambion with bind planar being and brought her to my side - she killed Korrilla with one ray of fire, and I moved on to stun Raphael, Yurgir, and a handful of cambions with mind blast, tripped him with Laezel and got basically 8 more free hits, and got another stun with my air myrmidion all to beat him up and kill him on the ground. At one point, he had prone, mental fatigue, stun, and frightened debuffs all at the same time. I just learned today that supposedly he transforms when his HP gets low enough. I never saw that transformation.
The others were dealt with using insect plague and my other summons. Yurgir literally never got to do anything. He just got his ass beat.
At first I was a little upset that the game capped your level at 12, but I think there's plenty of room to steamroll any boss based off of what I did. I will try the improved tactician mode next playthough.
This game is GOTY secured.

Last edited:

SCB3

WelI had an interesting Evening from taking a Lies of P break

So right now I got into the Underdark and bypassed a locked gate which led to the following happening within the hour or so I played
  • Fell down a slope into a creature with a load of armor, which I killed fairly easily
  • Found some dwarves looking for boots from a thief
  • sailed into the darkness to be accosted by more dwarfs and told to get the boots
  • so went looking and came across some fucked up Groot like creatures planting seeds in dead bodies
  • went back and killed those dwarves on the Tree's request on a epic river battle
  • Found some dwarf slavers
  • but went back to the trees and found a Hobgoblin who has a friend who could help with my eye problem
  • his fried is a fucking
  • Mind Flayer!
  • and now off to get some magic mushrooms
I love this game

DelireMan7

I fought Auntie Ethel yesterday. Really interesting place of her. The masks are a neat concept. I had to fight my Lae'zel xD

Then I liked how she tricked us many time in the fight. Then she bargains for her life. So good. I killed her and then was shocked by Mayrina dialogs... I stopped just after that.

Man I love this game !

Freeman76

I just started the game, its a bit overwhelming and actually quite stressful. I feel like I'm supposed to be making a beeline for a cure to this mindfuckery, but ended up in a huge ruin where im getting my arse handed to me.

Should I not be here yet? Reached a dank crypt and took a long rest then everyone is moaning I shouldnt rest too much lol.

Seems a bit odd that the gang are telling me I need to get moving while the game has so many other things to do.

Halp 🤣🤣🤣

DelireMan7

I just started the game, its a bit overwhelming and actually quite stressful. I feel like I'm supposed to be making a beeline for a cure to this mindfuckery, but ended up in a huge ruin where im getting my arse handed to me.

Should I not be here yet? Reached a dank crypt and took a long rest then everyone is moaning I shouldnt rest too much lol.

Seems a bit odd that the gang are telling me I need to get moving while the game has so many other things to do.

Halp 🤣🤣🤣
Not an expert.

For the long rest, you consume ressources to do them. In between long rest you can make 2 short rests, that cost nothing. It gives you back half of your max HP and some abilities but not the spell slots, except for Warlock I think (long rest gives you everything back).
So it's nice to not spam Long rest because you could be out of ressources when you really need them. Usually use first you 2 short rest to get back HP and continue venturing. Then when out of spells slot, HP you can go to Long rest.

Long rest usually triggers some events, special scenes with companions or others NPCs.

Don't stress too much about the "urgency" of finding a cure. Explore what you want. Crypt is a good place at the beginning, you can find a useful NPC there.

Last edited:

Freeman76

Not an expert.

For the long rest, you consume ressources to do them. In between long rest you can make 2 short rests, that cost nothing. It gives you back half of your max HP and some abilities but not the spell slots, except for Warlock I think (long rest gives you everything back).
So it's nice to not spam Long rest because you could be out of ressources when you really need them. Usually use first you 2 short rest to get back HP and continue venturing. Then when out of spells slot, HP you can go to Long rest.

Long rest usually triggers some events, special scenes with companions or others NPCs.

Don't stress too much about the "urgency" of finding a cure. Explore what you want. Crypt is a good place at the beginning, you can find a useful NPC there.
Thank you.

Im really enjoying this but aside from seeing all the hype I kinda ignored all the media on this game.

I thought it was a huge openworld game with multiple cities, but seems that isnt the case and its seperate areas like Divinity (does feel like I'm playing Divinity 3 at times). So how big is the game? Is it smaller than Divinty but more focussed?

Im in Act One, trying to track down Halsin, and just came across the Owlbear cave.

nowhat

I thought it was a huge openworld game with multiple cities, but seems that isnt the case and its seperate areas like Divinity
It's not a huge open-world by any metric. And how you navigate the world can be very limited, at least at first (but you can use your environment to get around those limitations - unable to reach a roof or something? Stack a few boxes atop each other and hop on top of them). But what the game does is create a dense world, where your decisions, even seemingly insignificant ones, can and will bite you in the ass later on. In terms of "the player affects how the game plays" I don't think I've ever seen a better implementation.

Freeman76

It's not a huge open-world by any metric. And how you navigate the world can be very limited, at least at first (but you can use your environment to get around those limitations - unable to reach a roof or something? Stack a few boxes atop each other and hop on top of them). But what the game does is create a dense world, where your decisions, even seemingly insignificant ones, can and will bite you in the ass later on. In terms of "the player affects how the game plays" I don't think I've ever seen a better implementation.
Yeah thats the impression i'm getting, dont get me wrong its a pleasant surprise, just got to adjust after expecting a 100 hour marathon rpg. The writing has been brilliant and I really like the 'gang'

nowhat

Yeah thats the impression i'm getting, dont get me wrong its a pleasant surprise, just got to adjust after expecting a 100 hour marathon rpg. The writing has been brilliant and I really like the 'gang'
Oh it will be a 100h marathon if you're so inclined. You're just in the first area (which is probably larger than you'd assume - beside the obvious map markers there is much else to discover if you wish). But a traditional open-world game it is not, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your preferences I suppose.

Freeman76

Oh it will be a 100h marathon if you're so inclined. You're just in the first area (which is probably larger than you'd assume - beside the obvious map markers there is much else to discover if you wish). But a traditional open-world game it is not, which may or may not be a good thing, depending on your preferences I suppose.
Its quite nice tbh, that it isnt a traditional open world. Makes a change. Wasnt sure how big the zones were though. DoS 1&2 were pretty big games and their layout was very similar to this, so I guess I shouldnt just assume its a shorter game just because its not open world.

nowhat

Its quite nice tbh, that it isnt a traditional open world. Makes a change. Wasnt sure how big the zones were though. DoS 1&2 were pretty big games and their layout was very similar to this, so I guess I shouldnt just assume its a shorter game just because its not open world.
Basically (and I'm trying to be as much spoiler-free as I can, but I'll spoiler-tag this just in case - it is only about the map size though)

You're now in act 1, which has a sizable map of its own. Act 2 takes place in another map. And act 3 yet another, arguably the largest, map. But again, it's not open-world as the term is commonly understood nowadays.

Guilty_AI

Do you miss a lot of story if you stick with the same ppl?

Sorry if this is obvs but im new to d&d lol
You do, but the game is designed with the notion you'll be missing out on a lot of it.

Don't fret too much over being a completionist or you'll may end up having an unpleasant time.

Freeman76

You do, but the game is designed with the notion you'll be missing out on a lot of it.

Don't fret too much over being a completionist or you'll may end up having an unpleasant time.
Haha you read my mind. Its taking me ages to get anywhere as Im trying to do everything and slowly realising that isnt possible

Top Bottom