• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III | OT | Bear in Mind, Your Choices Have Consequences

Mister Wolf

Fuck that option, unchecking it from now on.

Is there a point of no return before Act 1 is over and will I be given ample warning, so I don't miss things?

The point of no return is deep into Act 2 in the Shadow Lands. Before that you can go back to the opening areas as much as you want.

Last edited:

JayK47

I'm enjoying this game so far. So much better than previous Larian titles in my opinion. I hope this is not their peak and that future titles are as good or better.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Combat getting more 'fun' and manageable with lots of new skills, charge attacks and me getting abilities to attack multiple times per turn.

I should probably be throwing fools more, since my character can. I've had more than one case of an enemy chucking someone in my party in lava. That ain't fun .

Mister Wolf

Combat getting more 'fun' and manageable with lots of new skills, charge attacks and me getting abilities to attack multiple times per turn.

I should probably be throwing fools more, since my character can. I've had more than one case of an enemy chucking someone in my party in lava. That ain't fun .

What's your go to team?

Yeah the further go, the more it feels like a Larian combat system as you become less dependent on dice being nice to you... you will just have too many powers and abilities to offset bad rolls

Last edited:

adamsapple

18GB patch out today. Main menu took its sweet time syncing all my cloud saves before I could load.

Mister Wolf

Lae'zel
Karlach
Shadowheart
Gale

-

Also, maybe it's just me, but the load times seem faster after today's patch. Reloading after failed dice rolls isn't nearly as long as before lol.

Karlach I had her as a wild magic Barb. Lae'zel a fighter that specialized in crossbows. Myself a way of the 4 elements Monk, and Shadowheart a Life domain Cleric.

geary

Lae'zel
Karlach
Shadowheart
Gale

-

Also, maybe it's just me, but the load times seem faster after today's patch. Reloading after failed dice rolls isn't nearly as long as before lol.
You play as an origin character?

Last edited:

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Laezel bacomes a beast later on with 2-3 actions per round
She's a beast fairly early on. Fighters get Action Surge at Level 2 that allows them to reload their actions once per Short Rest. At level 5, they get Extra Attack. They can attack up to 6 times in a single turn by then.

2( Action+Extra Attack+Bonus Action)+Action Surge

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
She's a beast fairly early on. Fighters get Action Surge at Level 2 that allows them to reload their actions once per Short Rest. At level 5, they get Extra Attack. They can attack up to 6 times in a single turn by then.

2( Action+Extra Attack+Bonus Action)+Action Surge
Yeah, once she hit level 5, shit got way easier. I’m thinking about changing my protagonist to a Fighter and swapping her out with someone else.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Or you can have two fighters lol. What is your protagonist's class?
Druid. I’m not finding myself shape shifting after the first few battles. I like the ability to talk to animals. But I can have someone else do that with a respec as well.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Druid. I’m not finding myself shape shifting after the first few battles. I like the ability to talk to animals. But I can have someone else do that with a respec as well.
Oh, nah. Is this your first run? Druid kinda sucks honestly, especially if you're not too experienced. Maximizing this class takes a lot of effort and even then, they're not particularly great. At least not in Balanced. In Honor Mode they're better because Wild Shape is essentially a second life but I find myself eschewing this class. Too much maintenance for not enough reward.

As for speaking to animals, not only do you have other people who can do it, but potions of Animal Speaking are also plentiful throughout the game.

nowhat

This is from a WotC video, so take it how you will, but apparently BG3 has had a huge impact on table top players as well. Namely, so many people as the DM "can I shove?"

(and the answer is, you always can try, and should do so)

adamsapple

Did you get the weapons and armor off their merchant?

Yes but my current equipment is already better than anything I found at the base.

I'm a little bit unclear on the armor classes though.

Is the grade of the armor (15 medium) the biggest factor there?

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Yes but my current equipment is already better than anything I found at the base.

I'm a little bit unclear on the armor classes though.

Is the grade of the armor (15 medium) the biggest factor there?

Armor Class dictates whether you will dodge or not. Medium and light armor takes your dexterity points into consideration plus your armor's rating when totaling your Armor Class. The heavy Armors just have higher base AC but if you are not proficient in wearing them then you are penalized instead. That goes for certain classes like Mages trying to wear Medium Armor, etc. You have to ensure your character is proficient with the item before equipping it or suffer penalty.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Armor Class dictates whether you will dodge or not. Medium and light armor takes your dexterity points into consideration plus your armor's rating when totaling your Armor Class. The heavy Armors just have higher base AC but if you are not proficient in wearing them then you are penalized instead. That goes for certain classes like Mages trying to wear Medium Armor, etc. You have to ensure your character is proficient with the item before equipping it or suffer penalty.

So AC just dictates dodging, not like a damage reduction on how much damage you take. Interesting.

Mister Wolf

So AC just dictates dodging, not like a damage reduction on how much damage you take. Interesting.

Maybe on a spellcheck. As far as melee is concerned if their melee/ranged attack on you failed against your AC then you dodge. If they succeeded then how much damage they inflicted is based off of the weapon and their stats. That's why you see a range on the damage you can inflict because its a internal dice roll going on. You can have certain traits and skills that reduce damage but its not AC.

iBEnuD1.jpg

It makes her wet.

00EOzsd.jpg

This is maddeningly accurate.
Haha, random is random. The thing is the game gives you options to flip the odds on dice rolls but at the same time you could be the most unlucky person in the universe and simply not be able to pass a check at all load after load save scumming …like winning the lottery of bad luck. Kinda why I prefer the ‘karmic dice’ option on.

adamsapple

Raphael seems like a very sketchy guy, not sure if I should be trusting him lol

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Just obliterated a few Minotaurs in the Underdark, beneath the Goblin Camp. In the opening area. My party is level 5. All I have left in this area is to explore the underdark and then go to the mountain pass.

Maybe it’s because I’m a completionist, but it just seems like there’s a lack of good loot, even if only in the opening area.

geary

Just obliterated a few Minotaurs in the Underdark, beneath the Goblin Camp. In the opening area. My party is level 5. All I have left in this area is to explore the underdark and then go to the mountain pass.

Maybe it’s because I’m a completionist, but it just seems like there’s a lack of good loot, even if only in the opening area.
That like... 20hours my man (Underdark + Mountain Pass)...

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
That like... 20hours my man (Underdark + Mountain Pass)...
Hopefully there’s some good gear down here. I found this sword that looked like it was going to be awesome, had a cutscene and everything, and it was crap compared to an axe I’ve had for like 10 hours.

geary

Hopefully there’s some good gear down here. I found this sword that looked like it was going to be awesome, had a cutscene and everything, and it was crap compared to an axe I’ve had for like 10 hours.
The one in the stone? Yeah...kinda crappy, but i liked the "Excalibur" like cinematic.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Am I able to customize my party’s looks at all, like their hair? Shadowhearts bowl-cut bangs are annoying me. Like I’m to believe my dude would want to hook up with a chick with hair like that?

adamsapple

Act 2, need help.

Should I enter the pool entrance after finishing the Gauntlet or Shar? The game's giving me a warning that it could effect the state of the world.

The primary objective has also changed from the Moontower to this pool now.

Confused as to what the optimal way to proceed is.

Yes you want to go in.
But make sure you did the side quests in ACT2, once you go in there, the state of the world changes and some quests will not be able to be finished.

adamsapple

Yes you want to go in.
But make sure you did the side quests in ACT2, once you go in there, the state of the world changes and some quests will not be able to be finished.

Should I go in ASAP or do to the moontower first, cause I still have at least one side quest objective marker there. Will it go away if I don't get to it first?

Top Bottom