• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baseball World Cup approved by MLB owners..2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desperado

SHIT yes. Awesome.

The tournament will include 16 countries with the medal round played at still to be designated ballparks in warm weather U.S. locations, most likely including San Diego, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Florida and Houston.

w00t!

Desperado

The year delay from a stated goal of staging it prior to next season was done primarily to accommodate the Japanese, who can't field a team in 2005 because of contraction and restructuring of their own major leagues. If all goes according to plan, the first such international tournament to include Major League players would be held again in 2009 and then every four years after that.

read the article man!

darscot

If all goes according to plan, the first such international tournament to include Major League players would be held again in 2009 and then every four years after that.

What the hell does this mean. Are Major league players in for 2006 or out. It say 2009 would be the first tournament to do it again. I understand when you do something again it's not the first time.

Desperado

darscot said:
What the hell does this mean. Are Major league players in for 2006 or out. It say 2009 would be the first tournament to do it again. I understand when you do something again it's not the first time.

2006. 2009. 2013. 2017. 2021. etc.

MLB players will play in the first tournament, 2006.

pestul

Seth C said:
Why not just do this every year? Send the MLB national champs on to this tournament or something.
Only that a normal MLB team is represented by many many countries (ie. they wouldn't play together).

Joe

my dominican republic picks:
1b: albert pujols
2b: alfonso soriano
ss: miguel tejada
3b: adrian beltre
of: manny ramirez
of: sammy sosa
of: vladimir guerrero

pedro martinez
bartolo colon
guillermo mota
francisco cordero
octavio dotel

need a catcher and a few more pitchers.

calder

FINALLY. Such a great idea, nothing (and I mean nothing) is as great as a true off-season best-on-best tourney.

Canada will have a nice new group of young talent like Justin Morneau and Jason Bay to go along with old timers like Walker. Not enough to win, but with all the young pitchers we have it looks good for the near future.

Hell yes to playing some games in Houston. I just took a quick road trip to Minute Maid over the weekend to catch the Cubs play and that stadium is awfully nice and will be a great home to a tourney. Also, it means I can drive and catch some of these games if I want.

Scoobert

Florida? Unless they mean the Devil Rays, I don't think we'll see any games at the Marlins stadium. Everyone sure seems to hate it big time.

Hmm...unless this could help the Marlins get a new stadium. Florida is guaranteed Baseball World Cup games if they get a new stadium. Oh yeah, lets do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom