• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Begins, any impressions?

I preordered this tonight at Gamerush and just want to know if it's worth it.

Just gotta be sure my preorder dollars are going to a decent product. Considering EA's licensed stuff lately, I have my doubts.

So, I 'm asking if anyone has played and can tell me if it's at least decent.

Johnas

Outcast2004 said:
I preordered this tonight at Gamerush and just want to know if it's worth it.

Just gotta be sure my preorder dollars are going to a decent product. Considering EA's licensed stuff lately, I have my doubts.

So, I 'm asking if anyone has played and can tell me if it's at least decent.

So why again did you preorder it?

I don't think I would ever preorder a licensed game ever. Ever.

I did a test review for the UK studio. It's actually not bad at all, and some people will find it quite entertaining. It blatantly borrows some very obvious elements from Splinter Cell, God of War, and other 3rd person action games, but it comes together alright.

siege

Banned
I haven't played it myself, but I've been reading various impressions from others who have the game already. The main complaint is that it's very linear and almost everything is context sensitive. You can't actually use your grapple or batarang whenever you want to, only at select times designated in the game.

Also, the game revolves around the fear aspect. You have to trigger certain events during the level to scare thugs into dropping their weapons. It's apparently suicide to take on enemies before doing so, as they will kick your ass quite easily (Batman dies in 3-4 shots from a gun.)

Those that have beaten it have suggested it will take most people 8-10 hours to complete on the normal difficulty. Unlockables include 3 different costumes and some interviews with the movie cast.

If you're a Batman fan, it's probably a given you'll pick it up - everyone is saying it's the best Batman game ever (which isn't saying much.) However, most are still disappointed at some aspects of the game and suggest a rental for those non-fans.

Edit: The PS2 version comes with a ticket to see the movie for a limited time.

Polari

It's made by Eurocom, and they've done some really great stuff, so I'd be surprised if it wasn't *at least* a 7/10. One of the most under-rated developers, IMHO.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I played the game today at work. Someone traded it in already; figured it was stolen as we tend to get EA games sold to us early, but apparently the local Target is already selling it. Its likely still stolen though. :p

Anyway, it's a Splinter Cell rip off, only with beat em elements instead of shooting. Seemed pretty cinematic and fun enough, but not something I'd buy....too linear to really warrant a replay Would make a good rental though.

No way is this the best Batman game ever. Best this gen, sure, since the others sucked, but a lot of the 8 and 16 bit games rocked.
Oh, and from the flashback sequence,
Batman IS TEH NINJA!
:lol

Rhindle

DirtyHarry said:
It's made by Eurocom, and they've done some really great stuff
No they haven't. Their stuff usually isn't terrible, just thoroughly bland and mediocre.

From what I've played, this game fits the pattern. Might be rental-worthy.

Rhindle said:
No they haven't. Their stuff usually isn't terrible, just thoroughly bland and mediocre.

From what I've played, this game fits the pattern. Might be rental-worthy.

Sphinx was excellent.

siege

Banned
Eurocom developed titles and their average review scores:

Athens 2004 - 65%
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds - 74%
Predator: Concrete Jungle - 48%
Sphinx and The Cursed Mummy - 80%

Keep in mind that Batman Begins is under that new WB agreement where if the game recieves lower than 60% or something, the developer/publisher get fined.

ManaByte

Lyte Edge said:
I played the game today at work. Someone traded it in already; figured it was stolen as we tend to get EA games sold to us early, but apparently the local Target is already selling it. Its likely still stolen though. :p

What kind of store accepts stolen property as trade-ins. Even Gamestop has started using the pawn shop forms for trade-ins and are fingerprinting people who trade anything in now.

ManaByte

siege said:
Eurocom developed titles and their average review scores:

Athens 2004 - 65%
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Chaos Bleeds - 74%
Predator: Concrete Jungle - 48%
Sphinx and The Cursed Mummy - 80%

Keep in mind that Batman Begins is under that new WB agreement where if the game recieves lower than 60% or something, the developer/publisher get fined.

AFAIK It's 70% or below, but that rule is already being attacked by people as certain WB games out since that deal was started have scored lower than 70% but the developer wasn't fined and people are crying favortism.

G-Fex

That's funny, no only do police cars catch up with the batmobile but they acellerate way past it. Man those police cars must be doing 300.

Ancestor_of_Erdrick said:
So why again did you preorder it?

I don't think I would ever preorder a licensed game ever. Ever.

Because I had a ton of GameRush trade in credit and am able to get games new at $29 because of their deals.

This was one of the few things that interested me on the release list.

Matlock

Banned
ManaByte said:
AFAIK It's 70% or below, but that rule is already being attacked by people as certain WB games out since that deal was started have scored lower than 70% but the developer wasn't fined and people are crying favortism.

Prove it.

ManaByte

Matlock said:
Prove it.

It was brought up on Attack of the Show. They asked that since Matrix Online wasn't getting the best reviews out there if they'd be fined, and Jason Hall backpedaled on the whole thing saying that they'll only fine developers who score lower than the threshhold if they were just out to cash-in on the license and not to make a quality game.

But the policy itself is way open to fining Developer A but not Developer B and that could be seen from the earliest interviews about it:
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-matrix-online/540817p1.html

whats the appeal of these kinds of games anyway? Whats the point of games that just linearly (is that even a word?) hold your hand through the movie..why not just watch the movie? Its cheaper too.

Top Bottom