• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm so fucking bad at multiplayer games now - Is there any hope?

Beechos

There is no hope just the cycle of life. As we get older we play less, bodies wear down. Think of yourself as aging sports athlete.

Rhazkul

You just gotta practice, my guy.
I know this is a video game forum, and i love video games...but if you are 30+ and you still "practice" your gaming skills, a skill that is inherently meaningless...
The older you get, you realize that time flies by like nothing, and i would personally prefer to practice a skill that has real life value and play games for the sake of enjoyment and fun, not as a skill that needs to be improved upon.

Imagine talking to a grown 35 year old man and he tells you: "Yeah, so... i am practicing to be really good in Call of Duty so i can own all the other noobs and be better than my friends."

Last edited:

coffinbirth

I know this is a video game forum, and i love video games...but if you are 30+ and you still "practice" your gaming skills, a skill that is inherently meaningless...
The older you get, you realize that time flies by like nothing, and i would personally prefer to practice a skill that has real life value and play games for the sake of enjoyment and fun, not as a skill that needs to be improved upon.

Imagine talking to a grown 35 year old man and he tells you: "Yeah, so... i am practicing to be really good in Call of Duty so i can own all the other noobs and be better than my friends."
Replace the words video games and Call of Duty with any other hobby or interest you share with your friends and maybe you'll realize how fucking stupid you sound.

deathsaber

You're getting old, sorry.

Don't worry, I am too. I'm not the Splatoon player I used to be.
Me neither. There's been a shift in this franchise. I used to adore it because it was the casual & fun MP shooter that was always breezy and fun to play in a time when the CoDs/Battlefields, and especially the big battle royale games just were not clicking. But with Splatoon 3 it's just not the same. I feel it's now as competitive and "try hard" as any game now. All three were day 1 purchases, and now I probably won't buy a 4, and I've barely played 3, really because the fun wasn't there anymore.

But reality is (at least I know it is for me) is that I'm 44 and whatever you want to say about reflexes is fine, I really don't buy it, but I think the real thing is I just don't have the time to play games I once had. I'm lucky to get 2 hours on a weeknight, maybe a little more on the weekend. But I can't compete against those kids who are going all day/all night pretty much all the time and simply get way more practice. My valuable game time is better spent with Cyberpunk, Starfield or other single player things which satisfy a whole lot more now. I want to play a variety of stuff and have a cool adventure or story to play through, rather than hundreds of hours sunk into one single online grind or another.

splattered

It isnt fully just age that's the culprit... there are several of us "old timers" on this forum that can probably still hold our own fairly well.

From your story it sounds like you just stepped away from the MP style of play too long.

What actual games are you having difficulities with? Just Call of Duty?

This most recent beta was kind of polarizing for me... sometimes i would dominate #1 on the leaderboard and have an absolute blast and sometimes i would end up in loud mouthed lobbies with people screaming at each other and i just get obliterated.

There were a TON of 1v1 gun fights that i feel like i SHOULD have won esp when i saw and started shooting first but it just didnt end in my favor.

Don't sweat those moments, sometimes it just comes down to server/lag/cheating/whatever.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Replace the words video games and Call of Duty with any other hobby or interest you share with your friends and maybe you'll realize how fucking stupid you sound.

referee-penalty.gif

Rhazkul

I don't see it. Making music with my mates, improving my guitar and piano skills, learning or writing new songs...or tending my garden and growing my own veggies and fruits...that's a complete different thing than wasting away precious time on something useless and meaningless like video games (that doesn't mean i hate games....i play games too...but i see them for what they are: time killers. Nothing more).

Anyway, OP simply asked adults about the opinions about "skill" issues on the topic about video games which i provided - i am sorry if i offended you. But it is my opinion that an adult 30 years of age and older shouldn't worry about such a thing because video games shouldn't be a "skill issue"...that "skill" has no value for the thing we call life and reality. At that age you should worry about more important things in life.
But maybe you live an extremely privileged life without much stress, worries and your only concern is your skill issue in a video game...in that case...lucky you, good for you, enjoy yourself.

Last edited:

Bkdk

The only multiplayer game I ever play is 1v1 RTS, don't do any other type of MP games at all, but recently been playing them less and less and am just playing mostly big SP open world rpgs right now.

Maestr0

It's like training, deathmatch, deathmatch, deathmatch, all the way down, this is the best way to get good, after that it only depends on you

I woke up from a nap (fitting) and thought that I had posted a thread in a daze.

I feel the same way and it frustrated me because I still want to enjoy them.

I still get some really good games and get the top spot but they are way more rare then ever before.

The one current game I’m consistently good at is Battlefield 2042 as long as I’m on pc because on controller I’m even worse then other games. I go from top 5 players of 32 to bottom half lol.

coffinbirth

I don't see it. Making music with my mates, improving my guitar and piano skills, learning or writing new songs...or tending my garden and growing my own veggies and fruits...that's a complete different thing than wasting away precious time on something useless and meaningless like video games (that doesn't mean i hate games....i play games too...but i see them for what they are: time killers. Nothing more).

Anyway, OP simply asked adults about the opinions about "skill" issues on the topic about video games which i provided - i am sorry if i offended you. But it is my opinion that an adult 30 years of age and older shouldn't worry about such a thing because video games shouldn't be a "skill issue"...that "skill" has no value for the thing we call life and reality. At that age you should worry about more important things in life.
But maybe you live an extremely privileged life without much stress, worries and your only concern is your skill issue in a video game...in that case...lucky you, good for you, enjoy yourself.
OP asked if there was any hope for getting better at CoD. That's literally in the thread title. I gave him pointers that might help him enjoy himself more. It's a competitive shooter. It takes practice. According to you, this is a "useless skill", and essentially a waste of time...on a videogame forum.

retard-dumb.gif

Rhazkul

OP asked if there was any hope for getting better at CoD. That's literally in the thread title. I gave him pointers that might help him enjoy himself more. It's a competitive shooter. It takes practice. According to you, this is a "useless skill", and essentially a waste of time...on a videogame forum.

You are right. Apologies.

Basically what the title says. Growing up I was all about multiplayer games. MW2 in high school with the boys every night is one of my great gaming memories. I was never the best, or even top 3. But I could hold my own, occasionally I could top a match leaderboard, killstreaks were not a rare occurrence, etc.

Then the PS4 and XBone were announced, and I went the PS4 route. Since graduating high school it's been 90% single player games, I got super into Overwatch for a bit in college, but that's it. Me and the boys are all grown up now, and getting to play anything online is just fun to hang and chat. I've bought like 3 of the last 5 CoD's, enjoy them for a second. And then inevitably drop off because I am just getting my ass absolutely pounded mercilessly, constantly.

My friends are definitely better than me, so SBMM definitely doesn't help matters. But it's also very easy to tell that I just plain suck at the game. We got on the new CoD beta yesterday, and I thought the old maps I know so well would really help me. But instead my last excuse went out the window, not knowing the map layouts of the other recent CoD's was definitely not my issue, I am just terrible. Something with more strategy and less twitch based like Overwatch I think I could still play well but CoD is like my nightmare multiplayer experience for my what I'm good at in games.

It's all about positioning and 1v1 gunfights, hard to decide which I am worse at. I feel I am constantly fighting against controls in gunfights, even if the controls are perfectly fine. I just have a tendency to freak out when I need to do the exact opposite. So many embarrassing moments where I have no idea how I just lost a fight. But I really think my positioning and timing might be even worse. Clearly I just have no sense whatsoever of the rhythms (spawns, positions, etc.) of the game. The amount of times I'm staring down an alley for 30 seconds or more, only to be jumped the second I decide to move would be pure comedy if it wasn't so damn annoying. I am always just looking the wrong way, or a second early or late. I have no sense of awareness of anything outside my immediate point of view.

This novel could go on and on. TLDR: I STINK

But I like hanging out with my friends, I can still tell the game is pretty good too. Guns feel nice, I still do enjoy the familiar maps even if they don't help me at all. Can I do anything with my very little amount of skill to at least play with my friends without being a complete embarrassment? TIA

Just wait until you are 48...it gets even worse trying to keep up! If I try to play CoD on my day off during a week day I just get mowed down by all the players that do nothing but game all day, I basically have to wait for the evenings or weekends to actually stand a chance with people with people of my own skill level. If you enjoy the game and the time spent with friends, that's what matters, don't worry about you k/d ratio or score, just enjoy the time spent hanging with them online, because even that get more rare as you get older! Now...GET OFF MY LAWN!

Top Bottom