• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm so fucking bad at multiplayer games now - Is there any hope?

Basically what the title says. Growing up I was all about multiplayer games. MW2 in high school with the boys every night is one of my great gaming memories. I was never the best, or even top 3. But I could hold my own, occasionally I could top a match leaderboard, killstreaks were not a rare occurrence, etc.

Then the PS4 and XBone were announced, and I went the PS4 route. Since graduating high school it's been 90% single player games, I got super into Overwatch for a bit in college, but that's it. Me and the boys are all grown up now, and getting to play anything online is just fun to hang and chat. I've bought like 3 of the last 5 CoD's, enjoy them for a second. And then inevitably drop off because I am just getting my ass absolutely pounded mercilessly, constantly.

My friends are definitely better than me, so SBMM definitely doesn't help matters. But it's also very easy to tell that I just plain suck at the game. We got on the new CoD beta yesterday, and I thought the old maps I know so well would really help me. But instead my last excuse went out the window, not knowing the map layouts of the other recent CoD's was definitely not my issue, I am just terrible. Something with more strategy and less twitch based like Overwatch I think I could still play well but CoD is like my nightmare multiplayer experience for my what I'm good at in games.

It's all about positioning and 1v1 gunfights, hard to decide which I am worse at. I feel I am constantly fighting against controls in gunfights, even if the controls are perfectly fine. I just have a tendency to freak out when I need to do the exact opposite. So many embarrassing moments where I have no idea how I just lost a fight. But I really think my positioning and timing might be even worse. Clearly I just have no sense whatsoever of the rhythms (spawns, positions, etc.) of the game. The amount of times I'm staring down an alley for 30 seconds or more, only to be jumped the second I decide to move would be pure comedy if it wasn't so damn annoying. I am always just looking the wrong way, or a second early or late. I have no sense of awareness of anything outside my immediate point of view.

This novel could go on and on. TLDR: I STINK

But I like hanging out with my friends, I can still tell the game is pretty good too. Guns feel nice, I still do enjoy the familiar maps even if they don't help me at all. Can I do anything with my very little amount of skill to at least play with my friends without being a complete embarrassment? TIA

Drizzlehell

Banned
Yes, it's time to pack it up. Start collecting stamps or pick up basket weaving as a hobby.

But seriously though, just roll with it. Accept the fact that you suck and just play the game. The last multiplayer game that I played before I picked up MW 2019 was Quake 3 back in high school, so saying that I was out of touch would be an understatement of the century. But what's cool about recent Modern Warfare games is that they still feel fun to pick up and play even if you get killed all the time, and you will always improve your skills over time regardless of your age. I sucked really hard at the beginning but after a while I suddenly realised that in 9 our 10 matches that I played, I was consistently on top of the leaderboard, and it felt great.

Mossybrew

It's all about positioning and 1v1 gunfights, hard to decide which I am worse at. I feel I am constantly fighting against controls in gunfights, even if the controls are perfectly fine. I just have a tendency to freak out when I need to do the exact opposite. So many embarrassing moments where I have no idea how I just lost a fight. But I really think my positioning and timing might be even worse. Clearly I just have no sense whatsoever of the rhythms (spawns, positions, etc.) of the game. The amount of times I'm staring down an alley for 30 seconds or more, only to be jumped the second I decide to move would be pure comedy if it wasn't so damn annoying. I am always just looking the wrong way, or a second early or late. I have no sense of awareness of anything outside my immediate point of view.
Honestly dude it sounds like you just need more practice. Settle down, be okay with sucking for now, and put in the hours - you WILL get better. Just a matter of if you want to or not.

It's all about evolving as you grow up and lose reflexes.

I loved Counter Strike when i was a kid, now i moved to ARMA / DayZ

I was great at Fifa/PES and at doing skill moves on football games, now i moved to Football Manager

Did you like some fast paced airship game? Now Flight Simulator is your game

Did you like Formula 1 / Wipeout etc? Now Eurotruck Simulator is your game

There's a lot of great multiplayer experiences for us 30+ year old players <3

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
If you want something with more strategy and less twitch based shooting try Hell Let Loose and don't get discouraged when you get shot the first few days and you think "I never saw him"

Move slowly and work with your team and its an amazing game

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Are you playing tons of single player games rather than devoting your entire life to one multiplayer game?

That's why. There's people who've been playing COD non-stop for 15+ years. There's a LOT of them. Hell, even just people that only play FPS games are going to dunk you every time.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Bad News: Your friends all seem to gravitate towards high action, twitchy MP games. You're probably not suited for these types of games. Although, for Overwatch you should just try to main low skill floor characters such as Reinhardt, Mercy, Winston etc...

Good News: The next few years will be good for you in terms of new multiplayer releases. Multiplayer has graduated past these types of games. For now though, you just need to get your friends to jump into MP games you can succeed in like Fall Guys, Among Us, Roblox. Party Animals etc...

winjer

Gold Member
People get older and slower.
10 years ago I was always on the top spots in most matches, while playing Battlefield or Insurgency.
Today, it's much harder for me to be near the top. I still manage to do it sometimes, but not as frequently.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
If you want something with more strategy and less twitch based shooting try Hell Let Loose and don't get discouraged when you get shot the first few days and you think "I never saw him"

Move slowly and work with your team and its an amazing game

I got to try this game. Every time I see you bring it up I go "This kinda sounds like a game I'd like."

It's weird how my brain filed it in the "don't buy" category for the last few years.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Basically what the title says. Growing up I was all about multiplayer games. MW2 in high school with the boys every night is one of my great gaming memories. I was never the best, or even top 3. But I could hold my own, occasionally I could top a match leaderboard, killstreaks were not a rare occurrence, etc.

Then the PS4 and XBone were announced, and I went the PS4 route. Since graduating high school it's been 90% single player games, I got super into Overwatch for a bit in college, but that's it. Me and the boys are all grown up now, and getting to play anything online is just fun to hang and chat. I've bought like 3 of the last 5 CoD's, enjoy them for a second. And then inevitably drop off because I am just getting my ass absolutely pounded mercilessly, constantly.

My friends are definitely better than me, so SBMM definitely doesn't help matters. But it's also very easy to tell that I just plain suck at the game. We got on the new CoD beta yesterday, and I thought the old maps I know so well would really help me. But instead my last excuse went out the window, not knowing the map layouts of the other recent CoD's was definitely not my issue, I am just terrible. Something with more strategy and less twitch based like Overwatch I think I could still play well but CoD is like my nightmare multiplayer experience for my what I'm good at in games.

But I like hanging out with my friends, I can still tell the game is pretty good too. Guns feel nice, I still do enjoy the familiar maps even if they don't help me at all. Can I do anything with my very little amount of skill to at least play with my friends without being a complete embarrassment? TIA
Multiplayer nowadays is like a muscle. Use it or lose it. I'm 41 and I can still dominate in games like Street Fighter 6, Guilty Gear Strive, Valorant and COD. As you get older you start to realize your reflexes wane a bit and your eyes tend to miss things that before you would have definitely caught.

It's also a push and pull type of phenomenon. You got your baseline, which you said you were never the best or top 3. But you tend to have experience on your side at least. Old tricks that still work and the like. That pushes you forward. The pull is the relative competition. These kids nowadays are fresh and have taken the time to learn new mechanics in games. There was no cancel sliding on COD4: Modern Warefare. You'd get a slide or a dolphin dive depending on whether it was an Infiinity Ward or Treyarch game. So you somewhat rely on tried and true tactics....getting into certain situations especially in CQB greets you with something that often trumps tactics....namely movement.

Modern FPS games nowadays focus on two things that is much different from the older games. Movement and Team shooting. It's how Destiny PVP is played, Overwatch as I'm sure you know, even COD Warzone benefits greatly from sticking to your teammates because of the increased time to kill. Apex legends is the same way. Much less emphasis on the ability for one person to wipe waves of opponent with enough skill.

My advice is figure out these youngins are doing and practice using those skills. Might seem ridiculous, but it works for my old ass.

Mossybrew

it's a time and focus thing
I notice a lot of 'older' gamers, say 30 and older, complain about "reflexes getting worse as they age" - there may be a little truth in that, but honestly I think the main factor is you are an adult with a lot on your plate and you can't sit around all day long honing your skills like you could when you were younger and had fewer responsibilities. The amount of time & practice you can put into a game makes the most difference regardless of age.

Try something like Insurgency, where you kind of need to play a bit more slowly. It still feels great to shoot stuff too! I turned 36 today, so know how you feel. I still give it my best in CS2 though, although end up having to tell people to get fucked as they pick on me for being shit! Lol

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I got to try this game. Every time I see you bring it up I go "This kinda sounds like a game I'd like."

It's weird how my brain filed it in the "don't buy" category for the last few years.
I doubt I would have ever bought it either but it was a free PSN game one month so decided to try it

Just know going in its hard.

There is no kill feed so the only way you know someone is hit is by listening to the sound your bullet makes and the only way you know someone is dead is by the sound a headshot makes.

Out of 50 players per side only 1 person has a scoped weapon so actually hitting people is tough

Some Omaha Beach gameplay

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I notice a lot of 'older' gamers, say 30 and older, complain about "reflexes getting worse as they age" - there may be a little truth in that, but honestly I think the main factor is you are an adult with a lot on your plate and you can't sit around all day long honing your skills like you could when you were younger and had fewer responsibilities. The amount of time & practice you can put into a game makes the most difference regardless of age.

There's also a massive component of natural ability that I don't see many people bring up.

You can play basketball all your life. You can train 40 hours a week honing your skills but people like Lebron James exist and you'll never score a point on players like that. Videogames are similar. The best players have innate reflex and processing advantages that naturally set them far apart.

I've played Fortnite for 6 years and I run into players that I could literally fight 100 times, and I'd lose 100 times.

Sethbacca

For games that require quick reaction times like FPS, you generally peak in your teens or early 20s, so it's very easy to get worse once you're past that point.
This right here, unless you're playing constantly, that fast twitch goes away. You're better off finding games that rely a bit on strategy than twitch speed. Rocket league is a good option with a high skill ceiling imo.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
calm down. play with scenarios. Don't go in wanting to win. Most people panic. move around. be unpredictable. Don't trade by default.

basics

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
i watch a dude doing Elden Ring invasions and he knows like 98% of the game and goes in 1 vs 3 just to try different builds, ie: knowledge and fun = good

ReBurn

Gold Member
I suck at multiplayer games, too. The only ones I play online any more are Mario Kart and Tekken and my reflexes are getting to be too bad for Tekken.

Winter John

Gold Member
Naw. You reach a certain point when your reflexes, your eyesight and your hearing just can’t keep up. I used to regularly be near the top of the scoreboard when I was playing Battlefield. Now I’m lucky if I can break into the top 20.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
This is why it is so sad that Battlefield has sunk so low. You could be the key player in a game of Bad Company 2 Rush while barely killing anyone. Playing a recon throwing a timely motion sensor alerting the team to a sneak attack could mean the difference between winning and losing. Snaking an AT4 to take out a belligerent heli or tank as an engineer. Laying down smoke on an objective was one of the biggest game changers.
There was plenty of room for being a bad ass twitch shooter but the support roles were also essential.

Sleepwalker

It happens, I went pro in a game years back and placed top 8 in the world as my best finish, nowadays I'm barely above "sweat" level but nowhere near enough what I could do in my 20s.

To be fair its also a combination of things like not putting in the time and commitment we were putting in before. Competitive games are a young men's world, no shame in that.

NuncaBob

Neo Member
You could try a multiplayer game that isn't as reflex based.

Something like the WW1 series (Verdun, Isonzo) or Hell Let Loose or Squad. Where there's a bit more tactics? A bit more time to take a breath, have a chat.

Appreciate the suggestions and other peoples experiences. And Gold too, how about that. Guess I'm just an old man now.

Assuming my friends won't be playing something other than CoD, is there any "This one simple trick!" type strategies that are easy to employ? I would settle for a 0.75k/d at this point. 'Camping' doesn't work, I always do it wrong. Guess I can check youtube videos or something.

I guess just practice some more, and try to enjoy the comradery. Just accept that I'll be getting destroyed during. Thanks all.

LordOfChaos

Yeah, I'm sure I could get very good if it was my job, but it's not, and I have a job, and a bunch of other things to do living solo in my house, my reflexes might be slower but it's largely the time dedicated to it I think

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Don’t play with your food when it comes with multiplayer games you have to lock in, I admit it took me 4 or 5 games to get successful at multiplayer games. It gets easy.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Not a shooter but there's never been a better time to jump into a fighting game than Street Fighter 6. With Modern Controls, there's no more barrier of entry thanks to auto-combos and it takes care of your Drive Gauge use for you. Now you can focus not on execution, but on learning the game itself. Learn what footsies and wake-up DPs are without the stress of worrying about your ability to nail consistant combos.

The downsides are you deal 20% less damage and don't have full access to every move in a set but it's the perfect place to start enjoying a fighting game online and win. And having fun.

Oh and single player? You know River City Ransom on NES? It's exactly that but in 3D and you create your character that you can also take online.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I doubt I would have ever bought it either but it was a free PSN game one month so decided to try it

Just know going in its hard.

There is no kill feed so the only way you know someone is hit is by listening to the sound your bullet makes and the only way you know someone is dead is by the sound a headshot makes.

Out of 50 players per side only 1 person has a scoped weapon so actually hitting people is tough

Some Omaha Beach gameplay

I watched that video, and I get a "no thanks" vibe from my brain. Can you tell me if it's just not my type of game?

In all the multiplayer games that click with me, I notice they allow for a backline style of play. In Overwatch, I mained Mercy and Symmetra, which both kind of observe the hot zone from a safe distance. In Fortnite, I set traps up for the aggro kids to fall into. Heck, even the SP games I like (Ghost Recon, Hitman) they allow for a lot of calm, distant engagements if that makes sense.

When I watch that video, it feels very similar to how I experience traditional CoD. Very fast, and twitchy. Both teams put as much front line pressure on each other as possible. Does Hell Let Lose have a playstyle for backline type players?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I watched that video, and I get a "no thanks" vibe from my brain. Can you tell me if it's just not my type of game?

In all the multiplayer games that click with me, I notice they allow for a backline style of play. In Overwatch, I mained Mercy and Symmetra, which both kind of observe the hot zone from a safe distance. In Fortnite, I set traps up for the aggro kids to fall into. Heck, even the SP games I like (Ghost Recon, Hitman) they allow for a lot of calm, distant engagements if that makes sense.

When I watch that video, it feels very similar to how I experience traditional CoD. Very fast, and twitchy. Both teams put as much front line pressure on each other as possible. Does Hell Let Lose have a playstyle for backline type players?
So HLL is all about objective based games where the map is huge but you fight over specific areas and once your team captures said area you start advancing to the next

When I am on defense I enjoy playing engineer and sometimes support as if you can get some cooperation you can build a pretty strong defensible position that you know your team is eventually going to fall back to and have to defend

Even on offense I mostly let the ones who want to rush try to push the objectives and I stay towards the sides and try to make sure my team does not get flanked and when I see thats not happening I try to do the flanking

I almost always get out of the huge firefights (until the final one at the ends of the map) and usually a couple of friends and I like to go hunting and try to destroy their spawn points behind enemy lines to cut off the flow of enemies to the contested areas

Its for sure a game that takes some dedication to as I have had many friends try it for an hour and never pick it up again and honestly I hated it at first as well

But when I have some time to invest I love these huge battles and some maps can last a very long time like an hour or so

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
It happens, I went pro in a game years back and placed top 8 in the world as my best finish, nowadays I'm barely above "sweat" level but nowhere near enough what I could do in my 20s.

To be fair its also a combination of things like not putting in the time and commitment we were putting in before. Competitive games are a young men's world, no shame in that.
What game did you finish Top 8 in? It's alright if you don't want to answer.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Appreciate the suggestions and other peoples experiences. And Gold too, how about that. Guess I'm just an old man now.

Assuming my friends won't be playing something other than CoD, is there any "This one simple trick!" type strategies that are easy to employ? I would settle for a 0.75k/d at this point. 'Camping' doesn't work, I always do it wrong. Guess I can check youtube videos or something.

I guess just practice some more, and try to enjoy the comradery. Just accept that I'll be getting destroyed during. Thanks all.
I'm not great in a heads up fight in COD, so my strategy is to take long, outside routes around to flank the other team. People tend to stick to the inside lanes of a MP map and don't necessarily always check their full surroundings.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

This video is a lot more indicative of how the game usually plays out

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So HLL is all about objective based games where the map is huge but you fight over specific areas and once your team captures said area you start advancing to the next

When I am on defense I enjoy playing engineer and sometimes support as if you can get some cooperation you can build a pretty strong defensible position that you know your team is eventually going to fall back to and have to defend

Even on offense I mostly let the ones who want to rush try to push the objectives and I stay towards the sides and try to make sure my team does not get flanked and when I see thats not happening I try to do the flanking

I almost always get out of the huge firefights (until the final one at the ends of the map) and usually a couple of friends and I like to go hunting and try to destroy their spawn points behind enemy lines to cut off the flow of enemies to the contested areas

Its for sure a game that takes some dedication to as I have had many friends try it for an hour and never pick it up again and honestly I hated it at first as well

But when I have some time to invest I love these huge battles and some maps can last a very long time like an hour or so

I'm putting it on my wishlist! I just bought Resident Evil 2 and couldn't play it longer than 30 minutes due to sheer boredom. Hell Let Lose will certainly provide more value for my dollar. Will update you once I put some time into it. (Not that you asked)

MarkMe2525

I would imagine this anxiety about your performance just makes the situation worse. I used to (and sometimes still do) would run into an issue where high stress would cause my eyes to dart in random directions, which obviously would impact my ability to take out an opponent.

The solution for me was to learn to stay calm. If I tighten up, I am more likely to respond in the way I described previously, deep breaths and separating myself from the high stress really improved my play.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm putting it on my wishlist! I just bought Resident Evil 2 and couldn't play it longer than 30 minutes due to sheer boredom. Hell Let Lose will certainly provide more value for my dollar. Will update you once I put some time into it. (Not that you asked)
Very curious to hear your input.

Pretty sure they are going to have a free to play weekend coming up by the end of the year as they were supposed to have one over the summer but something happened on their end so they put it off for later this year, will try to watch for it and tag you if I can remember that is :)

Top Bottom