• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v. Superman RT Thread: like standing ovations in rain

Status
Not open for further replies.

munchie64

jSzvCyr.gif

It all makes sense now.
I'm not seeing that much of a problem really.

Edit: Non Highlighted stuff is way worse than highlighted.

Fliesen

So I'm seeing this is the new cool thing to hate on, hoping the next stop is Civil War.

dismissing the critique of a franchise people desperately want to love which is currently being handled really really badly as "cool thing to hate on" is kinda shitty.

If you want this franchise to strive, you're not helping your cause by trying to paint critics as "haters". The DCU is in dire need of course correction.

But sure, we could also just as well watch as Snyder steers the DCU down a cliff because anyone telling him he's reading the map wrong is just "jumping on the hate train"

You know, I'm actually pretty scared that Suicide Squad will be a lot more serious than the trailers would indicate.

It absolutely will be. Trailer 2 is totally an outright lie, I've felt it since the moment I first watch it. Everything about it screams tonal misdirection.

Kalentan

With his willingness to shit on other people's movies, maybe he does.

Honestly the reception to this movie in hindsight of his comments about Ant-Man being flavor of the month is kind of hilarious. Hell, wasn't like Ant-Man didn't have development problems of its own, still came out better!

Ant-Man! We live in a world where an Ant-Man movie reviewed better than the first time Batman and Superman have been in the same film.

Honestly if you think about its not that unrealistic that Suicide Squad will be dull and dreary as well. Second trailer hypes you with some funky music but if yall remember the only universally loved BvS trailer (the third one) did the same thing with a badass backing track.

Yet the actual movie is so goddamn serious to the point of ridiculousness.

My fear is that the DCEU might be an entire Snyder pipe dream - something that looks good in trailers but is ass in reality.

G-Fex

I think my problem with TDK movies is I just don't like any of the story so the dialgoue just doesn't work with me that much. I guess it's pretty strange since I don't like the spider-man movies but I do like some dialogue, same with x-men movies.

blahblahblahblah

Don't think about me it's creepy.

Go creep on someone else weirdo.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Honestly if you think about its not that unrealistic that Suicide Squad will be dull and dreary as well. Second trailer hypes you with some funky music but if yall remember the only universally loved BvS trailer (the third one) did the same thing with a badass backing track.

My fear is that the DCEU might be an entire Snyder pipe dream - something that looks good in trailers but is ass in reality.

Thing is, multiple characters in Suicide Squad seem to be coming off as like... fun characters. Soundtrack not even included, there are like genuinely enjoyable isolated character bits in that trailer.

suicide squad feels like something separate from snyder. i feel like that dude explicitly pitched bvs, wonder woman, aquaman and justice league. and then started working on other stuff too.

where as suicide squad was an idea that maybe ayer wanted to do or somebody at WB and they figured a way to fit it into the universe. it has no bearing on the justice league nor will any of those characters likely ever set foot in a justice league movie (which is what snyder is building towards)

plus just look at it. snyder's gone really comic accurate with the costumes and then ayer's suicide squad looks like some punk offshoot. that is not a joker snyder would have come up with. it almost feels like it's outside of the dceu if it wasn't for that batman appearance in the trailer.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

I don't really see SS turning out dreary based on what we've seen so far, but then again, I am an optimist

BlizzKrut

Banned
dismissing the critique of a franchise people desperately want to love which is currently being handled really really badly as "cool thing to hate on" is kinda shitty.

If you want this franchise to strive, you're not helping your cause by trying to paint critics as "haters". The DCU is in dire need of course correction.

But sure, we could also just as well watch as Snyder steers the DCU down a cliff because anyone telling him he's reading the map wrong is just "jumping on the hate train"

That would make sense if people didn't just hated everything DC does compared to Marvel, just see this thread, people are already hoping and saying SS is gonna be shit.

There's a difference between saying the movie is flawed, and making comments that give the impression the movie is literally Hittler.

- J - D -

However, Henry Cavill seemingly doesn’t need anyone else’s help to tank his own interviews. The star of the cumbersomely titled “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” has been on a charm offensive to promote his upcoming film, which lands in theaters Friday. The problem is that his press appearances have been more the latter than the former—clumsy, off-putting, and increasingly painful.

Jezebel’s Madeleine Davies offers a helpful rundown of a press tour that’s been a total “disaster.” Cavill has repeatedly reminded everyone that he doesn’t care about what he’s doing, he’s just in it for the money. “I’m not just doing this for the art,” he told Man of the World. “The money’s fantastic and that’s something which I deem… very important.”

Such a remark would seem refreshingly honest if he didn’t go on and on about his lavish lifestyle (spoiler: he loves first-class!), casually lament that NO ONE RECOGNIZED HIM while he trotted around in Times Square, and refer to #OscarsSoWhite as “racist.” “Maybe the solution is to have more diversity in the members,” he remarked to Man of the World. “But does that mean we are saying that to have more black Academy members would result in more black nominations? Is that not racist itself?”

As if to finish off Henry Cavill’s scorched earth campaign against, well, himself, he further told Britain’s The Sunday Times that there’s a “double standard” when it comes to catcalling. “I mean, if a girl shouts something like ‘Oi, love, fancy a shag?’ to me as I walk past I do sometimes wonder how she’d feel if a builder said that to her,” he said. “Although, of course, I wouldn’t feel physically threatened, as she might.”

It all makes sense now.

holy hell this is our superman?

2RB9kmr.gif

With his willingness to shit on other people's movies, maybe he does.

I mean, the dude was quoted as saying he felt he personally needed to do Watchmen as nobody else could do it, and then he says that he did Man of Steel because Superman "needed to grow up".

Plus, calling everyone that hated Man of Steel "not fans of Superman".

But sadly, this is exactly the type of fan DC has been primarily courting and cultivating for the past twenty years. The 40-year old man child that can't deduce fantasy from reality.

Let's face facts: DC simply does not care about anyone but the hardcore mega-fan anymore.

I mean, the dude was quoted as saying he felt he personally needed to do Watchmen as nobody else could do it, and then he says that he did Man of Steel because Superman "needed to grow up".

But sadly, this is exactly the type of fan DC has been primarily courting and cultivating for the past twenty years. The 40-year old man child that can't deduce fantasy from reality.

Let's face facts: DC simply does not care about anyone but the hardcore mega-fan anymore.

Agreed. I just feel bad over this. I have a feeling the film is going to seriously torpedo WB's plans.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
According to Pugh—who says she felt “humiliated” and “butchered” by the encounter—Eisenberg’s bad behavior didn’t stop when the cameras quit rolling. She later wrote in a blog post (which has since been removed), “I peeked around the curtain to ask Jesse about his neighborhood in New York (he lives a few blocks from where I used to live),” she writes, “and he immediately says, ‘You’re still here?'

That really does sound like something Lex Luthor would say.

munchie64

Snyder has trouble talking in interviews, so I think part of it is that.

duckroll

That would make sense if people didn't just hated everything DC does compared to Marvel, just see this thread, people are already hoping and saying SS is gonna be shit.

There's a difference between saying the movie is flawed, and making comments that give the impression the movie is literally Hittler.

3 Batman movies from Nolan. Critical acclaim beyond pretty much all Marvel films. Terrible reception for Green Lantern, Man of Steel, and now Batman v Superman. So is it bias, or are they just shit movies? Not hard to figure out...

neorej

ERMYGERD!
3 Batman movies from Nolan. Critical acclaim beyond pretty much all Marvel films. Terrible reception for Green Lantern, Man of Steel, and now Batman v Superman. So is it bias, or are they just shit movies? Not hard to figure out...

Bias. I mean, dem damn Marvel fanboys even went as far to make Deadpool a roaring success!

This would be on WB, not DC, and you're being silly if you think movie studios spend $250mil on movies that they don't expect many people to watch.

The problem seems to come down more to being completely tone deaf and not knowing how to represent their own characters. And for not getting rid of Zack Snyder ages ago. Dude gave them one big hit (300) and apparently that was enough for WB to give him carte blanche for the rest of his career. Honestly, I can't figure out why someone who lost as much money for the studio as Watchmen did was given another comic book property to adapt for them.

Shaanyboi

Banned

If this were true, there wouldn't be pages upon pages of criticism everytime a new writer tries something different or conflicting with traditional continuity. This is true of Marvel and DC. Some of the best stuff they've done in recent years doesn't sell because A) comic fans fucking hate change, or B) comic fans don't step out of their bubbles to find where the good shit is. Or, y'know, C) there are genuinely bad calls being made.

But like Omega Men was fucking rad. But it was a hair away from cancellation because nobody is buying it. And that sucks ass.

Guys stop with the character assasination of Henry Cavill. He is genuinely one of the nicest people in the industry.

Yeah I've only watched him on one talk show, and he seemed okay. Anyway, short of doing nasty/violent stuff, I don't really care what an actor's personality is like in real life.

Utter bollocks gif. There is no machine on the planet that would give Sups any bother.

God I hate the idea of this stupid film.

Haha he could lift a whole freaking island in Superman Returns, but in this movie he can't beat some hydraulic pumps (or artificial muscle or nanomachines or whatever).

Yeah, your 100% right. Though, it's less about anxiety and more about genuinely not being able to get the point of what he wants to say across.

Saying that people that don't like his movie aren't comic fans is pretty straightforward. Implying that characters that aren't killers and aren't dark need to be in order to be legit (aka "grow up") is pretty straightforward.

This is a guy that dedicated a movie about lobotomizing a girl as a way of freeing her to his mother, after all.

MC Safety

I don't mind that Henry Cavill wants to be paid and that money is important to him.

People care entirely too much about actors, their lives, and the drama behind their movies.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Haha he could lift a whole freaking island in Superman Returns, but in this movie he can't beat some hydraulic pumps (or artificial muscle or nanomachines or whatever).

Exactly. It's super stupid. Arrrrggggggghhhhhhhh.

munchie64

Saying that people that don't like his movie aren't comic fans is pretty straightforward. Implying that characters that aren't killers and aren't dark need to be in order to be legit (aka "grow up") is pretty straightforward.

This is a guy that dedicated a movie about lobotomizing a girl as a way of freeing her to his mother, after all.
Well your taking a hell of a lot out of those comments. Is that first one about the "true canon" comment he made? Cause that isn't what it was about at all.

- J - D -

And Jonah Hex.

Don't forget Jonah Hex. or do. whatever.

Henry Cavill is a great Superman, he just doesn't fit into 'this' Superman. I mean, everything I saw of him, interviews etc. he is so charming.

I don't think there is any miscast in the DCEU, but I think a lot of people will argue that Eisenberg is, but I really liked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom