• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2 : Next Gen is here early.

Im sorry console fanboys, this game is just fucking perfect looking. JESUS FUCK!

Its so hard to pick between Breath of Fire V, WoW, Battlefield 2, and Hotshots Golf :(

Hajaz

i wouldnt say it looks nex gen any more then halflife2 does. the maps are so huge there have to be some compromises

djm19

I cant seem to download the damn game. I have the program downloaded on my drive, all 500+ MB and when I double click it to launch the set up, it has a loading cursor for 4 seconds and then does nothing...

ManaByte

MrAngryFace said:
Im sorry console fanboys, this game is just fucking perfect looking. JESUS FUCK!

Its so hard to pick between Breath of Fire V, WoW, Battlefield 2, and Hotshots Golf :(

I was doing a BRD run tonight and when we were in the coffers room I was like "Hurry up open them I want to get back to Battlefield 2!"

Hajaz said:
i wouldnt say it looks nex gen any more then halflife2 does. the maps are so huge there have to be some compromises

XMonkey said:
HL2 > BF2 if we're talking looks.

I run it at 1280x1024 with all settings on High and 4xAA and there are times where it looks just as good as HL2. Hell when I'm driving a boat up the river it looks just like the airboat part in HL2.

I'd say it's a slight step behind HL2 in terms of aesthetics, but that isn't suprising considering all it does. If next gen systems don't beat battlefield 2 pretty quickly I'd be shocked. Looking at Ghost Recon, though, I don't think that'll be a problem.

Deg

Banned
Its impressive considering the scale. Its the gameplay where this game excels. Alot of fun.

Mr Gump

Banned
BF2 looks like shit compared to other pc fps. You people need to open your damn eyes.

Looks wise its nothing special.

shuri

Banned
screen047.jpg

screen031.jpg

FiRez

it looks outstanding but is DICE so that's a given since they made RSC2(Best GFX on a racing game) but I'm not appealed to this kind of games I preffer a more fast paced mindless FPS.

Battlefield 2 looks great, don't get me wrong, but its really only marginally better than Source. I honestly am more excited for id's MegaTexture deal with Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
It looks like an average pc game, but given the scope and draw distance that can be majorly forgiven.

Mihail

Banned
"Sorry console fanboys?" You're an idiot. I mean, I get that you're saying it jokingly, but you're just creating bad relations within the board. "Fanboy" has quickly become a silly way to classify people. I'm sure we can expect such pearls of wisdom from you in the future:

"Sorry rumble fanboys; wireless controllers are the way of the future."
"Hey, Cottonelle fanboys -- Charmin is softest and that's a cold, hard FACT."
"Intelligence fanboys be warned: I'm coming with my idiocy and you're not going to like it."

ManaByte

Mihail said:
"Sorry rumble fanboys; wireless controllers are the way of the future."

...my Logitech wireless pad I use exclusivley has wireless...and I do believe the X360 pads do as well (Logitech probably offered MS/Sony the tech they use for long battery life).

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Ryudo said:
Yeah it does. Thanks for proving my point. IF blurry textures and jaggies do it for you then bathe in it.

Both eliminated by turning on Anti Aliasing and Antiostropic filtering you retard.

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Schafer said:
Both eliminated by turning on Anti Aliasing and Antiostropic filtering you retard.

Thats funny, i dont remember commenting on screens that actually looked good, hence why i said they looked average.

But keep up the name calling, it makes you feel like a man doesnt it ? :lol

Zer0

Banned
Ryudo said:
Thats funny, i dont remember commenting on screens that actually looked good, hence why i said they looked average.

But keep up the name calling, it makes you feel like a man doesnt it ? :lol

if u think this game looks average in a high end pc u will need to change the hobby

gigapower

Its a great looking game that plays better then it looks. I was planning on getting Conker and some other games this month, but all that has been shelved. Battlefield 2 is going to last me a while :)

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
You can give that shit 48x anti-aliasing....the game, in those screens at least, has blurry textures, average geometry and relatively simplistic lighting. If that's next-gen, then that's sad.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Considering more money has been put into my rig running Battlefield 2 than the cost of ALL 3 OF MY CONSOLES COMBINED...I damn well expect the game to looky fucky fabulous.

So is there a GAF server happening?

Daigoro

looks great, plays AWESOME.

FiRez said:
it looks outstanding but is DICE so that's a given since they made RSC2(Best GFX on a racing game) but I'm not appealed to this kind of games I preffer a more fast paced mindless FPS.

hm. have you played it?

forget the "mindless" part, there is plenty of action here.

the game is super fun. play it for 15min-1/2 hr and ten decide.

Mr Gump

Banned
J2 Cool said:
like what?
Half Life?
Doom 3?
Far Cry? This came out ages ago, runs better on the same specs, and looks better also. The foilage in farcry kills bf2. Death by anal gapage.

demon said:
You can give that shit 48x anti-aliasing....the game, in those screens at least, has blurry textures, average geometry and relatively simplistic lighting. If that's next-gen, then that's sad.

Stryder

I dunno about it being 'next gen', to tell you the truth I think these sorts of threads where something is stated so matter-of-factly are a bit of a wank really.

Compare this game to BF1942 and you'll see what I mean, sure the graphics and lighting a quite improved, the physics is a bit more detailed, and the animations are improved, but not that much more over what I remember '42 being. Gameplay-wise there are a few minor improvements, but still.. I expect more from a game for it to be called truly 'next-gen'.

Daigoro

Mr Gump said:
Like seriously, how can you say that? Farcry's engine is spectacular.

dunno. maybe far Cry is technically superior, it just didnt strike me as a really great looking game. not that BF2 hit me like HL2 does graphically, but it pleases me.

maybe the huge amount of fun im having with the demo is clouding my judgement though.

Mr Gump

Banned
Daigoro said:
dunno. maybe far Cry is technically superior, it just didnt strike me as a really great looking game. not that BF2 hit me like HL2 does graphically, but it pleases me.

maybe the huge amount of fun im having with the demo is clouding my judgement though.
I didnt say i wasnt having a good time. Cant fly aircraft effectively for shit though.

But, for comparisons sake: Looks like BF2s 'foilage' needs a bit more AA
screen0210rs.jpg

371314_20040323_screen020.jpg

Daigoro

Mr Gump said:
I didnt say i wasnt having a good time. Cant fly aircraft effectively for shit though.

yep yep, didnt say you werent. how could you not? the game is fun.

and yes flying is quite difficult. ill take the gunner seat in the buggy thanks. :)

those pics you posted do show glaring differences. thats for sure.

maybe it has somethign to do with atmosphere, or just the hugeness of BF2. maybe my glasses are tinted by the reflections of artillery shells dropping their payload of hellfire all around me. :)

Borys

Banned
Ehh... I love PC gaming as much as the other guy but BF2 isn't great because of the looks (judging from the demo). Got to agree with Mr Gump - Far Cry and Doom 3 (not HL2) kills it when it comes to eye-candy.
Certainly NOT next-gen. I mean Men of Valor anyone? Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault? They look similiar and came out in 2004.

Best looking PC game: still Doom 3.

thorns

Banned
I'm hoping the 360 version of bf2 modern combat will actually be good and similar to the pc version, since it won't be technicaly limited like the other ones and is actually coming out later. There's been no confirmation that it will be just "prettier graphics" and nothing more.

That said, BF2 is the most fun PC game I played this year, and is much more fun than doom 3 and half-life 2 combined. It's just a *very* immersive and fun experience.

Totally fucking immersive. Man its awesome.

Great demo map too. I doubt there will ever be another Wake Island, but this one is close.

Top Bottom