• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2 : Next Gen is here early.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The blackhawk mounted gun....BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Zer0

Banned
Borys said:
Ehh... I love PC gaming as much as the other guy but BF2 isn't great because of the looks (judging from the demo). Got to agree with Mr Gump - Far Cry and Doom 3 (not HL2) kills it when it comes to eye-candy.
Certainly NOT next-gen. I mean Men of Valor anyone? Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault? They look similiar and came out in 2004.

Best looking PC game: still Doom 3.

men of valor similar to battlefield 2? even with all the settings to low bf2 rapes men of valor,and the animations and effects ( gfx are not only screens ppls) destroys far cry.are u playing the game ppl? or just looking screens?

Zer0

Banned
demon said:
You can give that shit 48x anti-aliasing....the game, in those screens at least, has blurry textures, average geometry and relatively simplistic lighting. If that's next-gen, then that's sad.

play the game and stop talking about screenshots

Zer0

Banned
blackadde said:
Doom 3 looks better in motion.

There, I said it.

doom3 have the same scope than bf3.sure.where in doom3 have u fight 62 ppl at once in a enormous map with dozen of vehicles? and animation on bf2 characters its a lot superior than doom3

Zer0

Banned
MrAngryFace said:
Well to be fair, Doom 3 did perfectly capture the feeling of opening the same door and finding exactly what you expected.
you forgot the bit where u must be scared when a zombie turns from a corner...the first 20 times

Rorschach

Btw- some of the servers are already hacked to not have a time limit. I just finished playing a few rounds in a server that said "12" min, but the actual time was unlimited ('till tickets run out). So much fun. :D

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
SantaCruZer said:
atleast it doesn't have the map in loadtimes HL2 do.

I love the load times in BF2. Lets me get in a couple rounds of Meteos while I wait.

Otherwise, super awesome fucking game.

thorns

Banned
yeah unlimited time servers are great.. the game is incredible if you have a good team/squad.. I don't know why, but the game is extremely immersive, unlike anything i've played before. I just got done playing 2 around 2 hour matches each in an unlimited time server. I would give the demo a "10" easily.

Deg

Banned
chespace said:
I love the load times in BF2. Lets me get in a couple rounds of Meteos while I wait.

Otherwise, super awesome fucking game.

Its only like a 10 second load. HL2. Now thats bad loading.

Forsete

Gold Member
You have to play the game/see it in motion.

The physics, the animation, the sound, the effects.. Yeah its the most impressive PC game to date.

Fantastic demo, great job DICE. :)

Mr Gump

Banned
What is so good about the animation of the soldiers in particular? HL2, farcry and UT2004 have amazing rag doll effects but bf2 doesnt, atleast anything spectacular.

Deg

Banned
Mr Gump said:
What is so good about the animation of the soldiers in particular? HL2, farcry and UT2004 have amazing rag doll effects but bf2 doesnt, atleast anything spectacular.

Its impressive for an online game with 64 players and a huge battlefield map. Its not Far Cry, HL2 etc. level.

Stryder

I must agree with MAF, the sense of immersion I have gotten within this game is unparallelled by any other, it really does throw you in there and make you feel as though you're on a battlefield.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
omg!!! I joined a squad for the first time..holy shit! It really adds the organization that bf 1942 and bfv lacked. No feeling compares to a squad rolling out to take out a base.

Anyone running the game on an ATI Radeon 9800? How's it look? I think that's the video card that I'm going to be buying soon, and I would like to know how BF2 looks on it.

Slo

ToyMachine228 said:
Anyone running the game on an ATI Radeon 9800? How's it look? I think that's the video card that I'm going to be buying soon, and I would like to know how BF2 looks on it.

I'm using a 9800 Pro. I looks good but I think Doom3, HL2 and FarCry look better. Also, I'd go for a 6600GT instead of a 9800 Pro if I were you.

Slo said:
I'm using a 9800 Pro. I looks good but I think Doom3, HL2 and FarCry look better. Also, I'd go for a 6600GT instead of a 9800 Pro if I were you.

Could you take some screens of BF2 running on your 9800 Pro, Slo? I'd appreciate it if you could! I'm using an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 now, so a 9800 Pro would probably still be a large improvement.

6600gt should be a larger improvement than a 9800 pro. I'm running a 6600gt with everything on max at 1024 and getting mostly 60fps with occasional brief dips. I might be able to run it at even higher settings but I haven't tried yet.

Apenheul

Honestly in what way does this look next-gen? Just because PS2/GC/XBOX can't pull off this much grass means it's next-gen? It's just 'more polygons' that I see, not some very complex lighting models or high dynamic range.

I think the game looks great, don't get me wrong, but it's weird to see someone go banana's over this, when RE4 for GameCube for instance looks closer to what I expect from next-gen graphics.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
it looks ok to me. I have to run everything on medium so far, as I only have a 128MB 6600GT, and 512MB RAM (seems like its the textures that cause the most HDD thrashing). And I have problems with huge blocks of shadow a lot of the time.

But nothing amazing. Pretty much just like counterstrike with tanks.

All the immersion is pretty nice, but somewhat spoiled by the dumb looking grass, and the way everyone scoots around jumping all over the place. Screenshots don't really show that.

Lots of fun though, and I might consider buying this - Considering I bought a 6600GT I hardly play any games on my PC. Pretty much just HL2 a bit.

I'd be willing to be another 512 of ram would help you alot. You might consider looking in to that as I barely have a noticeable difference in speed between high and medium.

Im running 9800 on High settings at 1024, it runs GREAT. Holy shit seeing a helicopter make a pass, its so awesome. My squad and I took on a helicopter on one of those motorboats. I zoomed around while two people with machine guns fired at the chopper and the guy at the main gun placement unloaded too. Rockets exploded all around us.

Also I was running through this field when a plane dropped bombs around me oh that was so cool! AHHHHHH!

I dreamt about the game last night too.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
what are the big killers in settings? I have an LCD, so would prefer to run 1280x1024, but I can run 1024 if it helps a lot. How about draw distance?

It'd be good to hear what others have found to be the key differentiators in terms of speed just to help me get up and running quickly.

Slo

BF2 is using 480 MB of Ram on my system. Just the overhead of Windows is going to push the ram total to over 512MB and cause the OS to start using virtual memory. This game REALLY needs a gig of ram.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Dude, I spawned in the center point once (Contstruction site) and I was in the alleyway not far. On the one wall that I saw, I could see the shadow of an enemy combatent on the wall. He was on the building behind me, 15 feet up. He jumped down right on me, but I got him in the end.

I seriously did a double take when I saw the shadow. That shit isn't supposed to happen in an online game. If not for that shadow, he would have owned me without me knowing where he was.

Wish I took a picture...

mrklaw said:
it looks ok to me. I have to run everything on medium so far, as I only have a 128MB 6600GT, and 512MB RAM (seems like its the textures that cause the most HDD thrashing). And I have problems with huge blocks of shadow a lot of the time.
I had the same problem with black blocks but after I installed the drivers that came with the demo, the problem was gone. I also have 6600gt

Zer0

Banned
Mr Gump said:

bf2 use havok ragdolls too,the animation a lot better than farcry or ut2004,u can see the equipment of the soldiers moving,the movement of the tanks on objets like rails or terrain elevations is awesome.the movement of the soldiers in vehicles ( u can see the machine gunner put is legs on the bags of the boat,etc) sorry ppl but i think the bashers of the game in this thread haven play the game at all

Zer0

Banned
Apenheul said:
Honestly in what way does this look next-gen? Just because PS2/GC/XBOX can't pull off this much grass means it's next-gen? It's just 'more polygons' that I see, not some very complex lighting models or high dynamic range.

I think the game looks great, don't get me wrong, but it's weird to see someone go banana's over this, when RE4 for GameCube for instance looks closer to what I expect from next-gen graphics.

the comparasion with r4 its absurd.like the comparasion with cs.bf2 its not cs with tanks.its a large battle with all kind of vehicles simulation,none of the games u ppl are making comparations have the scale or scope of this game

shit.i hate to be a pc defender but this game is so awesome in many levels

pestul

ToyMachine228 said:
Could you take some screens of BF2 running on your 9800 Pro, Slo? I'd appreciate it if you could! I'm using an Nvidia GeForce FX 5200 now, so a 9800 Pro would probably still be a large improvement.
Here are the settings with my overclocked R9800 Pro (398/351 Gigacube Ultra BIOS):

bf2a1sl.jpg

Here's an in-game shot I just took a split second before the jets colided.. damn did the explosion/debris ever look spectacular :O

bf2b4af.jpg

Top Bottom