• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 may go Free to Play

EDMIX

And this is how we /thread a discussion.

Please don't go further after EDMIX EDMIX

Animated GIF

errr not really lol

I'd argue a lot of that shows MOST don't play BF on steam, regardless of 2042 or not. I think its even funnier that some of you spend the energy to even @ people to keep talking about some of this stuff.

I feel the point I made about those outlets talking about BF 2042 more then Halo can be stated about some on here too lol So I do kinda find it funny that those that hate 2042 seem to talk about it just as much as those that like the game, but I digress.

EDMIX

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/battlefield-2042-free-to-play-details-report/

The weirdest part about a lot of this is that Tom being the insider is offering "suggestions" of what they should do, but......doesn't that mean they don't know in the first place? I'm reading that they should do Portal as free to play, they should fix this first before they do this or that....sooooooo you don't know is what you are saying?

So I think the whole free to play rumor is just as foreign to Tom as it is us at this point. I'd trust him for lots of other rumors, but on this one he seems to be in the dark.

Free to play could be for All Out Warfare, it could be done by a completely different team, it could be something else entirely, who knows lol

Three

It's worth mentioning that BF1 and BFV were made free on a lot of services too. It is steady now but nosedives at launch the same as BF2042

Portugeezer

Nah just patch BF4 for next gen consoles and I'm good.

No sympathy for anyone pre-ordering AAA games anymore. You (mostly) know what youre up for.
Especially when you consider the beta issues. They weren't small, and anyone who has played beta/early access were telling you the "xyz month old build" excuse was not a good one (and of course it turns out it wasn't).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
At this point just fix the game and get more content and release it on EA Play. Maybe it'll be done by then.

Dr.D00p

Why isnt this game on EA Play?

Surely that would bump the player count up dramatically?

Corporate pride.

To put your premiere shooter franchise on there so soon after grabbing absurd amounts of cash from early buyers, has very bad optics.

so i jumped back in played 3 games. I hadn't played since launch week.

boy was it god awful. I didn't run into many glitches or bugs luckily. But the gameplay just f'n sucks. The shootings ok i guess. But everything else is bad

B_Boss

How and why they’d destroy this series like this…..after years of waiting for a nextgen and proper modern warfare BF…..is beyond me.

EDMIX

Don't be silly. If they make a new Battlefield that's 100% what people want, everybody will be back on board. As they should.

This.

The biggest reason why many see BF move such wild numbers is its a concept not many do or not many do to the level of BF. As a fan of the series myself, there is not fucking second, there is no other IP I can just go "well time to get my BF on" like Souls Copy cats or something, it means it turns into a take it or leave it type situation. Similar to Bethesda Fallout and Elder Scrolls series, bugs? Some Flops? Sure....you where the fuck you going for that exact same concept as some secondary? Exactly lol

So its hard to figure out if the issue is the complex design, or the publisher themselves, as if it was so easy, we would have been seen this concept copied to the T. I think its a mixture of a few things, BF sells lower then other FPS titles, thus not KING OF THE HILL type situation where anyone needs to copy them exactly, the Publisher depends on the team to do many projects, make lots of assets, engines etc for the whole company (as I never agreed with how the did that with Frostbite, let those teams us what ever engine they feel like it). So unless we get an extemely close second, I believe we'll continue to see the series yo yo like this similar to COD or AC title by title or something. AC Unity was not the end of AC, COD Inifite warfare was not the end of COD.

Them always doing some new concept allows for them to get new consumers, i get that people believe the series will be greatly impacted by the negative press, but I believe the sales will factor more to EA. Money talks, shit walks. If bad press alone determined if a series lived or died by this publisher, ironically we should have never gotten 2042. Wouldn't BFV historic low sales have stopped the series then? So who really knows when enough is enough with this publisher in terms of series or teams etc. One of the fastest selling BFs doesn't really sound like a massive series ending thing to EA, for all we know that shit gave them confidence the IP can live on with a new leader, only focusing on BF vs other IP etc. Who knows.

Top Bottom