• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 2042 | PC Performance Thread

Md Ray

PC Requirements:
nJWbp91.png

Supported Drivers:

AMD: Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 21.11.2 Release Notes | AMD
NVIDIA: Battlefield 2042 Game Ready Driver Released | GeForce News | NVIDIA

GPU Benchmarks:
Source: TechSpot/Hardware Unboxed

The testbed:
  • Ryzen 9 5950X
  • 32GB dual-rank, dual-channel DDR4-3200 CL14
1080p_RT.png

1080p_Ultra.png

1080p_Medium.png
1440p_RT.png

1440p_Ultra.png

1440p_Medium.png
4K_RT.png

4K_Ultra.png

4K_Medium.png

Quality Preset Comparison:

PC Performance Review:
Source: Michael/NX Gamer @IGN

The PCs:

• Ryzen 5 3600 / RX 6800 based machine
  • Ryzen 9 5950X / RTX 3090 based machine

Last edited:

A.Romero

It seems there is a bug with Intel CPUs that makes it so the usage is always at 100%.

I have a 8600k (slight OC, bad luck) and a 3070 OCed. Game runs sun 50 fps, CPU at 100% all the time while the GPU is at 50% or less.

It doesn't matter what graphical settings but I'm aiming at ultra with RT.

Fuck knows why they claim a 2700X as recommended because the game runs like total dog shit on that CPU. So much so I refunded my copy with Steam. What a total joke!

Md Ray

It seems there is a bug with Intel CPUs that makes it so the usage is always at 100%.

I have a 8600k (slight OC, bad luck) and a 3070 OCed. Game runs sun 50 fps, CPU at 100% all the time while the GPU is at 50% or less.

It doesn't matter what graphical settings but I'm aiming at ultra with RT.
It's not a bug. Based on my own tests, 100% utilization on 4-6 cores/threads CPUs is normal for Frostbite engine specifically BF games. BF 2042 in particular is quite heavy on the CPU as per NXGamer's (IGN) analysis, even 5950X can see dips into 60fps in 128 player matches. You'll need a minimum 12 thread CPU for better perf and some breathing room for the CPU.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Based on my own tests, 100% utilization on 4-6 cores/threads CPUs is normal for Frostbite engine specifically BF games. BF 2042 in particular is quite heavy on the CPU as per NXGamer's (IGN) analysis, even 5950X is seeing dips under 60fps in 128 player matches. You'll need an 8+ thread CPU in order to have some breathing room.

Resolution change should not impact this, right? Because I could play BFV no issues before.

Md Ray

Resolution change should not impact this, right? Because I could play BFV no issues before.
You won't see a major frame rate difference when changing resolution if you're CPU-bound.

Let's say you're getting 50fps at 1440p with 50-60% GPU utilization... Chances are you'll see similar frame rates (50fps) at 720p as well because the CPU is at 100%.

You said you're also targeting ray-tracing. Many don't realize, but RT also has an impact on CPU performance and can further reduce your fps when enabled.

Last edited:

A.Romero

You won't see a major frame rate difference when changing resolution if you're CPU-bound.

Let's say you're getting 50fps at 1440p with 50-60% GPU utilization... Chances are you'll see similar frame rates (50fps) at 720p as well because the CPU is at 100%.

You said you're also targeting ray-tracing. Many don't realize, but RT also has an impact on CPU performance and can further reduce your fps when enabled.

I asked because I used to play BFV at 1080P and ran OK (Unless I used RTX, DLSS is not that good on that game), now I'm trying to play at 1440P and I'm encountering this behaviour.

Here is a link for the EA forums regarding this topic. It seems it's only affecting Intel CPU's

Md Ray

Last edited:

A.Romero

Is this happening even in non-128 player matches? BF 2042 will be heavier than BFV as there are a lot more physics interactions as well.

Haven't tried, TBH. I'm just playing the 10 hour trial.

Still, I think that EA thread is telling. Apparently they are working on a fix.

b0bbyJ03

I don't think I've ever heard more mixed information on a game in my life. I keep hearing how dog shit this game is and not fun and I also keep hearing how fun and awesome it is. Runs like trash and also that it runs buttery smooth and better than expected considering scale and visuals. lol.

MaKTaiL

I don't think I've ever heard more mixed information on a game in my life. I keep hearing how dog shit this game is and not fun and I also keep hearing how fun and awesome it is. Runs like trash and also that it runs buttery smooth and better than expected considering scale and visuals. lol.
PS5 is running just fine here. Maybe it's badly optimized for PC only.

Hezekiah

Banned
I have a 1070ti and this runs like dogshit, 40-45 FPS on high (recommended), will drop down to medium but from what I hear it won't make much of a difference.

carlosrox

Banned
How does one quickly get all their PC specs again?

All that info is displayed somewhere isn't it?

I wanna post my specs and see if I can get an answer how I might be able to run this game.

Sounds like the port is fucking shit though? Big surprise.

A.Romero

How does one quickly get all their PC specs again?

All that info is displayed somewhere isn't it?

I wanna post my specs and see if I can get an answer how I might be able to run this game.

Sounds like the port is fucking shit though? Big surprise.

Like so

Just copy the useful part. If it gets too long just make sure you use proper tags here.

Kenpachii

3080 / 9900k / 32gb ram / 3,5gbps ssd.

Runs smooth at max settings ultra wide 3440x1440 at max settings ( no rt ). DLSS is great in this map

1080p/1440p/4k runs smooth as hell. ( 4k + rt with no dlss = no bueno with 3080 )

Last edited:

Grechy34

8700K, 2080Ti. Overclock on CPU and GPU. I get 70-110 in conquest (1080P) I get dips into the 60s as well when things get real heavy. Everything is on Ultra (DLSS - Performance, although not seeing a huge difference between performance and quality) I was getting stuttering initially but seems to be good now. Game could definitely do with some patching to utilise GPU more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom