• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 Ships Over 10 Million Copies In First Week, [5 Mil Sold First Week]

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Anton Sugar said:
Bingo. Huge part of my hype is that there really hasn't been anything to fill the gap that Battlefield 2 filled. Section 8: Prejudice was close.

<3

Section 8 was good, it was a starting point, but Prejudice is fucking AMAZING!

If they can convert that into at least modern setting (present time), with-out the future sci-fi elements it would be a fun ride
(Keep it at $15 please =3)

hamchan

Darklord said:
Doesn't that mean it could break Blops record?
It could but I seriously doubt it. 5.6 million in one day is kinda a lot.

Anyways congrats to EA and DiCE. Very interested to see how they'll make this a yearly series.

Ardenyal

Well deserved. Even though the game has it's share of flaws it's still a good improvement in quality over other shooters on the market.

meppi

Derrick01 said:
Go research everything EA has done and does now. It's like a 1000 page book versus Activision's 100 page book.
Well, Activision closed down Bizarre and for that reason alone I refuse to give them one more cent.

Derrick01 said:
Releasing 1 game every year is not really that anti-gamer. You could say $15 map packs are, definitely, but what else do they really do? Not much.

Go research everything EA has done and does now. It's like a 1000 page book versus Activision's 100 page book.

So I guess you defend Activisions CoD Elite service as pro gamer? You're trolling and it's laughable.

Nirolak said:
The faster things get crowded out, the faster people will work on making new business models to sell their games.

Given that XBLA sales are vastly dying down as well, I suspect we will see some changes rather soon.

Shiiit. Is that true, or anecdotal? Would be a real shame if true.

(._.)

Banned
Nirolak said:
The faster things get crowded out, the faster people will work on making new business models to sell their games.

Given that XBLA sales are vastly dying down as well, I suspect we will see some changes rather soon.
XBLA really just does better during the summer. baston did really well and they pretty much pushed themselves for s summer release because they knew a fall one would be very challenging.

Khal_B

Really happy for DICE. They treated gamers to an amazing engine and game and I'm eager to see what they bring out next.

hamchan

Tallshortman said:
Actually they are and the fact that you think otherwise is pretty funny. I'll gladly take used game passes over the same 3 franchises every single year. The fact that they put so much of their eggs into one basket is just terrible business on their part and just sets them up to be as much "anti-gamer" as anyone.
Just because you don't like Activision's games doesn't make them "anti-gamer" lol.

Derrick01

Banned
Choke on the Magic said:
So I guess you defend Activisions CoD Elite service as pro gamer? You're trolling and it's laughable.

I don't defend Activision and I'm not a fan of theirs. It's just for every 1 bad thing you can find on them you can find 3 on EA.

hamchan

Choke on the Magic said:
CoD Elite is basically a season pass like every other publisher is doing, except they give you a bunch more stuff on top of just the DLC as well. If a person was going to buy all the DLC anyways it's actually a pretty good deal. You can shit on Activision for some things, but not this.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
DieH@rd said:
Really nice news. Next year its MOH's time. :)

I know I maybe in the minority, but the SP was really good, the MP was barebones

I was joking when I said Danger Close should do SP for BF3 due to DICE helping with the MP in MOH, maybe they should've?

I'm already growing my Tier 1 beard back =D

DieH@rd

Banned
GraveRobberX said:
I know I maybe in the minority, but the SP was really good, the MP was barebones

I was joking when I said Danger Close should do SP for BF3 due to DICE helping with the MP in MOH, maybe they should've?

They need to ditch UE3, make MOH in Frostbyte 2 and keep on with "realistic" approach to the script.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Holy shit. If true that means that BF3 outsold BC2's lifetime sales in a couple days. Insane. I have no doubt that MW3 will outsell it but some solid competition may spark some extra quality in the CoD series now, like Rock Band did with Guitar Hero.

GraveRobberX said:

I feel like most people said SP was good. I've personally said that it and CoD4 are the best military shooter SP games of this gen. The problem was that it was relatively short and Multiplayer was uninspired. The thing is, didn't DICE do MoH MP? I guess they used it as a sort of experiment since BF3 and BC2 were vastly superior MP wise.

gatti-man

Good for DICE. Im all for the success of a Dev that actually tries to push tech forward with each mega release as opposed to mw3=mw2=Blops method.

hamchan said:
Just because you don't like Activision's games doesn't make them "anti-gamer" lol.

I actually do enjoy Activision games and have every major CoD (1, 2, 4, MW2, WaW, BLOPS) release as well as a few of the GH iterations. Thanks for talking out of your ass though.

You quite clearly don't even understand the post I was responding to otherwise you'd realize I said iterating the same franchises over and over again leads to too much franchise dependence which leads to bad milking policies.

Ark

I'd like to say I contributed towards that figure, but I'm still yet to buy the game :(

From what I've seen though, a well deserved profit! (presumably).

hamchan

Tallshortman said:
I actually do enjoy Activision games and have every major CoD (1, 2, 4, MW2, WaW, BLOPS) release as well as a few of the GH iterations. Thanks for talking out of your ass though.

You quite clearly don't even understand the post I was responding to otherwise you'd realize I said iterating the same franchises over and over again leads to too much franchise dependence which leads to bad milking policies.
And why is this anti-gamer or anti-consumer in any way? Hint: it isn't.

Empty

welp. with those sales they'll probably be put to grinding out battlefields forever instead of making mirror's edge 2.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Considering the single player so far (3.5 hours in) is worse than even bodycount/new call of juarez, and a small step above duke nukem this is pretty depressing.

Moving 5 feet off intended path to flank dudes? FIVE SEC TO RETURN TO MISSION.

Cut off wave of attackers? Nope! Ai runs through concrete walls wtf?

and to top it off the gross online pass shit.

Ea went quickly from my favorite to least favorite publisher this gen.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Empty said:
welp. with those sales they'll probably be put to grinding out battlefields forever instead of making mirror's edge 2.
I'm sure they're going to do ME2 at some point, especially considering the look of the Paris mission in the BF3 campaign.

Dipswitch

Good numbers. Will be interesting to see if this impacts the MW3 numbers at all. I decided to go the BF3 route myself this year, so curious to see if other people followed suit.

Moaradin

LuchaShaq said:
Considering the single player so far (3.5 hours in) is worse than even bodycount/new call of juarez, and a small step above duke nukem this is pretty depressing.

Multiplayer is the best this gen.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Good, the game is great and will be even better when DICE finally fixes the aiming controls on PS3 and fixes the goddamn servers (DICE LAUNCH!).

gatti-man

LuchaShaq said:

DICE isnt known for their SP campaigns. Not an excuse but now you know for next time.

Empty

RoboPlato said:
I'm sure they're going to do ME2 at some point, especially considering the look of the Paris mission in the BF3 campaign.

could you describe the paris mission for me, i'm curious now.

hope you're right. i'm just sceptical that the execs will see the point in giving the series another chance when they can get so much more from the military shooter genre. i mean i'm willing to bet one bf3 map pack makes more profit than their estimates for a mirror's edge 2.

LuchaShaq

Banned
gatti-man said:
DICE isnt known for their SP campaigns. Not an excuse but now you know for next time.

I guess bad company 1/2 don't exist despite them being my favorite non halo campaigns this generation.

Shadow780

QwPOh.jpg

Can it do it?!

Fjordson

LuchaShaq said:

Yeah, single-player is hot garbage. Not that I'm surprised about a new military shooter having a terrible campaign, but damn.

The multiplayer on PC is pretty dope, though.

The marketing in the UK for it has been crazy. Literally see billboards, magazine and TV ads everywhere - expect it will sell very well here too, may well smash some records.

J-Rzez

Good for these guys, at it's core when the stars align it's MP is the best of this gen, easily. But EA, how about throwing some more of that cash to DICE to get some help to fix all the problems plaguing this in game, as well as that joke that's Battlelog. Hopefully we'll get some continued DLC/expansions for this due to those sales numbers. With a steady stream of content that are vehicles/guns/maps/modes, this thing can and will be unstoppable, not to mention in the long haul put a real hurting on it's competition.

Top Bottom