• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront DLC and free updates (maps, modes, outfits, private matches) detailed

5taquitos

How do you all think the new maps will work on bigger game modes?

Jabba's Palace: I assume the palace will be just a part of the map--maybe a centerpiece or something, and we'll get to explore the area around

Isn't Jabba's palace already in the game in Fighter Squadron? I can see them adapting that map to bigger modes, and using the interiors of the palace for smaller modes.

GeeTeeCee

How do you all think the new maps will work on bigger game modes?

Jabba's Palace: I assume the palace will be just a part of the map--maybe a centerpiece or something, and we'll get to explore the area around

I assumed this one would be a smaller, mostly indoor focused map. Isn't Jabba's Palace just out of bounds on the Jundland Wastes map?

Isn't Jabba's palace already in the game in Fighter Squadron? I can see them adapting that map to bigger modes, and using the interiors of the palace for smaller modes.

Oh yeah, almost forgot! Fighting in those canyons would be interesting, as long as it doesn't feel too much like the current Tattooine map.

I assumed this one would be a smaller, mostly indoor focused map. Isn't Jabba's Palace just out of bounds on the Jundland Wastes map?

I really hope not :-\ The lack of large maps is the main reason I don't own this game.

Taker34

Banned
Really good locations, but the lack of TFA content, playable characters and overall content. While new maps are always a good thing, it'd be nice to see something more substantial. I still feel like it's an expanded demo in some ways, even with all the DLC for the months to come. :(

5taquitos

Yup. I flew around it multiple times in my Snowspeeder waiting for the Y-wings to come.

Haha yeah, last time I played WA on that map, there were three of us just looping around the palace for the entire last phase, since all the Imperial ships from the previous phase were destroyed. As soon as the Y-Wings hit, we tripped up both AT-ATs in just a few seconds.

How would the Death Star even work I wonder. Maybe we're all wearing space suits.

open-uri20120225-30172-18lvv1p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am glad to see that a decent amount of free stuff has/will be coming before the paid DLC. With content being the main complaint and the Battlefield games only getting free stuff after the paid has been completed, it's good to see that they're putting free content first.

Ludist210

Tweaks are good...we'll see how the new content plays.

Though I do wonder if the very last point ("Playing the Objective" trophy/achievement) will give players that have already won their trophy/achievement. I got it, but I have a buddy who's done it twice and didn't earn it because time didn't run out for him in the match.

Looks really not bad. I'm impressed let see how this will turn out and if the maps and gameplay is a bit better I might take the DLCs maybe ^^

"makes it's debut in Star Wars Battlefront" is saying that it's the first time it has been in the new Star Wars Battlefront which is entirely true

I know but it doesn't I have to like the wording of it and the fact that they didn't just call it Battlefront 3. As is they're seemingly doing all they can to bury Pandemic's efforts in to the ground and pretend they're adding brand new environments to the series.

Flip4k

I'm excited. I really just wanted a Death Star map. I'm happy about the homing nerf. Still waiting for them to balance out the air. Some better ground to air options would be sweet.

Glad to hear about the new free maps/updates dropping. But man they need to fix the XP progression and unlocks, it takes waaayyy to fucking long to unlock everything. It takes so long most of my friends are turned off of trying to even bother unlocking the high level stuff.

BKG

Banned
Not impressed....Bespin sounds great but this next map pack is basically expanded areas of already existing maps. You can actually see Jabba's palace on the Tattoine map. I was really hoping for a space battle expansion and some new vehicles/weapons.

Woorloog

Banned
Glad to hear about the new free maps/updates dropping. But man they need to fix the XP progression and unlocks, it takes waaayyy to fucking long to unlock everything. It takes so long most of my friends are turned off of trying to even bother unlocking the high level stuff.

Long?
I hit max level around 50h (and that was without double XP), and now at 100h, i could buy just about everything i don't have (ie upgrades for everything i don't use). (I had all weapons well before hitting level 50.)

As i understand it, Battlefield 4's unlocks and ranks take far, far longer...

Those free updates look good. Surprised the A-Wings haven't been nerfed, but I'm glad to see Homing shot has been.

I'm pretty excited for the Death Star and Bespin but I'd have liked a greater variety of planets than going back to Sullust and Tatooine.

prag16

Banned
The homing shot nerf is the most welcome thing on there, imo. And it seems like a pretty large nerf too. A la the barrage nerf earlier, it may become almost worthless now.

Which is good. The last time I got on, it was relentless homing shot (and to a slightly lesser extent bowcaster) spam as far as the eye could see, by seemingly the majority of players.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I need more flight battle stuff. That's easily the best mode in the game.

DICE already confirmed before launch that each paid DLC map will have 4 maps (like two small and two large), new weapons and star cards, new game modes, and new heroes each.

Now we know the theming for the first three packs.

I'm really excited about Turning Point coming to all large maps next month, I love that mode. Plus the free maps and private matches. So we are getting a free small map tomorrow and two free large maps over the next two months.

I can't see how anyone can spin this negatively, though I know many will try.

I'm sure it will be co-marketed, but I doubt they'll tie explicitly to the movie.

I don't think we'll even see that much of the Death Star in the film. I expect there'll be some Tarkin and Vader scenes on it but that's about it.

No doubt they'll try and tie into it somehow though.

Durden77

All sounds pretty excellent. This is one of the few shooters I was considering buying the season pass for because I'm still having so much fun with it. I was just waiting for info. I'll be pulling the trigger on it very soon now.

Also, I wonder what they mean by the Bespin description? Seems like it might be it's own gametype or something. I'm also crossing my fingers they'll make a new game mode for the Death Star that involves the rebels having to blow it up just like in ANH.

Woorloog

Banned
Also, I wonder what they mean by the Bespin description? Seems like it might be it's own gametype or something. I'm also crossing my fingers they'll make a new game mode for the Death Star that involves the rebels having to blow it up just like in ANH.

All the DLC packs seem to be themed expansions, with their own modes, with maps primarily build around those modes. Just like with BF3/4 (from what i recall about BF3 and understand about BF4).

Top Bottom