• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
D-D-D-DAMN

Seeing all these day of release embargos lately and then Platinum straight up not giving a fuck with close to two weeks before release is some cut throat type of shit.

They already know.

Yup! Shows incredible confidence in their game, which as can be plainly seen is obviously well founded and veritable.

johnbone

Polygon seems like they want to be a premiere outlet for criticism, by sacrificing a game's score to make a point about a larger issue. If Bayonetta 2 was released in a hypothetically perfect world, they'd likely give it a 9 or 10. But since representation is still an issue, and they feel this game is an offender - it must be the sacrificial lamb for greater progress.

It's a theory that may be appealing to some types, but doesn't do much in the way of consumer advocacy.

This is exactly how it seems to me too

69wpm

If Polygon remains the only outlet with a score under 80, Bayo 2 is on it's way to become the highest reviewed Wii U game. A 90+ is still possible.

The sad thing with Platinum is pretty much all their games review well but sales wise it's pretty poor :/

Bayonetta 2 in japan had a very slow start, they deserve better.

They can always do Rising 2. Kojima has already said he wanted to do it.

Did anyone expect these scores? I mean, I knew it would be a 10/10 for me personally, but not from reviewers.

The first one has a 90 on Metacritic, so unless Hashimoto completely blew it with this sequel, then there was no reason to expect it to not fall in a similar range.

Jesus christ

Thought this was going to be another "well received but no 10/10s" sort of game, with it ending in the 80-90 tier on Metacritic (even if it doesn't belong there)

Some of the highest reviews all year

Marceles

You guys know reviews don't start at a 10 and points are deducted from there... right?

That being said, the "over-sexualization" of the game really hurt this dude's experience with the game. Which seems crazy to me, personally. Like... if the game plays so great, I don't get how that can hurt the experience so severely. Whatever.

That's the usual critique of someone's first glance at the game. Literally passing by and seeing game footage and thinking "is that necessary? 7.5." and walking away. Not even attempting to play the game.

Other than Polygon, the game is scoring better than I thought.

Does Gies not get Bayonetta at all? That blatant over the top fan service is like who she is. Was he expecting her to become a nun in the sequel?

imae

Not surprised at all the high review scores, the game deserves it.

PlatinumGames, you are awesome.

And thanks again Nintendo :D.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Oh and Bayonetta looks sooo much better with short hair, they really nailed it.

Mdk7

My review for IGN Italy
9/10

Despite not being as fresh and surprising as the original (which probably remains a better game overall), Bayonetta 2 is a heavenly triumph of excess: not only a sublime action game, but also a true killer application. Simply put, do not miss this one hell of a ride.

I really enjoyed it, amazing game (even if The Wonderful 101 remains the best game on Wii U, IMHO.

wilflare

You can put games on a wish list.

My question is why would you need to pre-order a digital title? It's not like the eShop is going to have supply issues.

wanted to preload - but lol -
basically, it's the only way for me to do "takemymoney.gif" while still going for digital

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If you bought the Wii U months ago explicitly in anticipation of Bayonetta 2, congratulations, your decision has paid off in spades.
It just so turns out that I did! Except it was last week, and also for Tropical Freeze, but it is paying off so well!

JeffGrubb

I take it you'll be giving every FPS game released a 6/7 as we've seen them done for a while?... :)

That's a really good point, but no -- well, if they are single-player only. The difference for me is this: online really changes things. Bringing in human opponents turns every game into chess, essentially. Chess, a game on a single plane with just a handful of pieces is so complex that to calculate every possible game that could ever be played we would need a computer with so large that it would require all of the matter in our solar system.

The term is called "novelty." It basically means experiencing a situation that has never existed before. I'm gonna write about it some more pretty soon, but basically, I lose novelty pretty quickly in a game like Bayonetta 2, which is actually why it's astounding that I liked it as much as I do. But every match with another human in a shooter or Smash Bros., for example, can be infinitely different forever.

But yeah, single-player shooter campaigns are almost all 6 or 7s now for that reason.

69wpm

You can put games on a wish list.

My question is why would you need to pre-order a digital title? It's not like the eShop is going to have supply issues.

Because pre-orders might start to download automatically and you won't have to spam the eShop anymore.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
expecting 85 in the end so lower than the first.

kinda like Tropical Freeze where it's better than its predecessor but lower scores cuz lol
Eh, I'm not so sure TF is better than Returns. The lack of motion controls give it an edge and obviously it's prettier, but I dont think the level design is any better. In fact the inclusion of the god awful water stages and the annoying boss fights might make it worse.

But anyway this game looks really good. I'll be surprised if it's not better than the first.

Polygon's review reads like someone going into a strip club to get a drink they love and getting mad when there are tits everywhere.

That's_good.gif

Metro Gamcentral gave it 9/10:

In Short: A fantastic sequel, whose improvements may be relatively subtle but are more than enough to confirm Bayonetta 2 as one of the greatest action games ever made.

Pros: One of the best combat systems ever seen in a video game, and yet also surprisingly accessible. Mountains of unlockable extras. Bayonetta herself is great, as is Tag Climax mode.

Cons: The level design can be a little basic and thematically it’s often too similar to the original. Despite minor improvements the story elements are still pretty awful.

Score: 9/10

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/13/bayonetta-2-review-witch-time-is-it-4903462/

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Polygon has always struck me as being super slanted toward MS white guys who really hate anything that isn't MS or not super westernized or made in the west.

Its not specifically because of this game, but just a feeling i've had for a while in regards to how they deal with things

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
They can always do Rising 2. Kojima has already said he wanted to do it.

The day they announce this i will scream like a freakin lunatic.

MGR was awesome, there needs to be a sequel. Let them use the Fox-Engine Kojima and then oh my...

Also, wasn't Metal Gear Rising one of Platinums best games sales wise?

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
It's someone's fucking opinion. Personal emotion reaction to an inherently subjective thing. He liked the game. Grow up.

Your PETA Oprah comment is amazingly ignorant as well.

Can't get through a review thread without some good old fashioned polygon bashing.

I don't even read the site but the incessant bitching about polygon and affecting the metascore is just immature. You are entitled to have an opinion about the review but to dismiss it completely based on an arbitrary score or particular reviewer is not fair. So what if everyone else is giving out 9s and 10s, that doesn't somehow invalidate his opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom