• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[BBC News] UK to name part of Antarctica Queen Elizabeth Land

Status
Not open for further replies.

KillGore

I find this addiction (Edit: Well, not addiction, not sure what word to use, infatuation?) to the royals a bit silly nowadays. The British are just going to end up naming everything after Victoria and Elizabeth. Should just rename the Earth as Queen Elizatoria.

Also, I'm surprised the US doesn't "own" a part of Antartica, why is that?

Fari

royals_deserve.jpg

The great irony from an Irish perspective is that Cromwell directly inflicted more suffering and hardship here than any of the monarchs.

I find this addiction (Edit: Well, not addiction, not sure what word to use, infatuation?) to the royals a bit silly nowadays. They're just going to end up naming everything after Victoria and Elizabeth. Should just rename the Earth as Queen Elizatoria.

You claim the land, we actually be there.

I find this addiction (Edit: Well, not addiction, not sure what word to use, infatuation?) to the royals a bit silly nowadays. The British are just going to end up naming everything after Victoria and Elizabeth. Should just rename the Earth as Queen Elizatoria.

There's a treaty declaring it neutral land.

Got to love the NH countries trying to stake a claim on land that they're nowhere near. They all end up having to go through NZ just to get there.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
That is such bullshit.
Can they even do this, international naming convention law-wise?

Irregardless, I refuse to recognize Antarctica as British soil.
It is neutral land, belonging to no one nation or group of human beings..

I'm sure you've got a good point somewhere in this post, but my eyes keep going back to this word.

daviyoung

Banned
I jut turn to my gf o say this sounds like the worlds worst theme park.

Surprised no one is talking about the cabinet meeting, that was pretty historic.

I looked at the list of attendees. The list of names that aren't HRH aren't worth talking about. They bring the whole meeting down.

Enkidu

I just love the idea that there is a little bit of antarctica that is owned by 3 countries at the same time
It's not owned by them, it is claimed by them. The Argentinian and Chilean claims are not recognized by any other states, and the British claim is only recognized by Norway, Australia, France and New Zealand. It is a bit wrong to say that anyone owns land in Antarctica but that does not stop states from claiming that they own it.

Oppo

Real original there, Britain. As if there aren't enough places in the world named Queen Elizabeth Something Or Other.

/bitter Canadian

Platy

It's not owned by them, it is claimed by them. The Argentinian and Chilean claims are not recognized by any other states, and the British claim is only recognized by Norway, Australia, France and New Zealand. It is a bit wrong to say that anyone owns land in Antarctica but that does not stop states from claiming that they own it.

Actualy when you think about it is a bit wrong to say that anyone owns land anywhere =P

I'm pretty sure none of the "claims" on Antarctica are recognized by any other countries other than the ones that claim them and certainly not by the UN or any international organizations.

Basically if the UK can claim Antarctica, then I can claim Venus, Mars and ex-planet Pluto for the Lollypop Guild.

Walshicus

Anyone who'd prefer Cromwell over Britain's current royalty has absolutely no knowledge of Cromwell.
Of course nobody prefers Cromwell, just as nobody really wants to emulate Guy Fawkes.

Still regard "monarchs" (at least those old enough to be able to abdicate but who don't) as being scum; just as anyone in a hereditary position of wealth or authority is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom