• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC News: What went wrong with virtual reality?

Hulk_Smash

Banned
The problem is that even with all the advancements we've made the tech still isn't ready.

VR needs 4 things to finally land for mainstream success.

1.) it needs to be powerful (by powerful I mean the experience needs to be vivid. The graphics need to be good, the screen resolutions need to be dense so that it is very effective at transporting you to another place)

SsWYhOR.jpg

2.) it needs to be Lightweight (It can't be a huge clunky and weighty looking thing. It should look comfortable and easy to put on and take off)
like this:
XbcUTLD.jpg

3.) It needs to be Wireless (When I opened up my PSVR I couldn't believe the clusterfuck of cables it came with. it can't be that cumbersome for a consumer product. Wires detract from immersion)

28aNZBB.jpg

4.) And It needs to be affordable
Relatively speaking, everything above should cost as much as a fancy phone in order for it to be attainable.

PS5 VR is the best bet. If Sony can hit all of these points it will be an out of nowhere smash hit!

On PS4 the VR effect is surprisngly decent but it should be something to behold with the power of PS5. And with it being an add on to a console it would be the most attainable price wise for people. Sony just needs to land points 2.) and 3.)

You can do it Sony.

wireless- with no battery lol!

Can you imagine a hot ass battery on your headset? Unless you think it should be the size of an iPhone battery. That should give you about 20 minutes of game time.

Lightweight headset or wires. Pick one because you can’t have both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom