• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Once Upon a Time Season 2 |OT| Only True in Fairy Tales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly laugh at the idea that season 1 is seen as this show's peak for stories, acting etc

Season 2 is trying to be something that season 1 didn't... trying to have more of a continuing storyline throughout, and less episodic I guess. Expanding the universe, and maybe the show is kinda in over its head by doing that, but I admire the risk taking.

What do they have that is ongoing? A constant enemy? They had that in season 1...

The season 1 episodic style still revealed overarching story elements and had a better overarching story over all. Before it had the curse and the back and forth between the people that knew and the people that didn't along with a constant enemy(or two) that were trying to play their own game of chess while they were playing eachother.

This season has absolutely none of that. All this season has had is Snow and Emma dealing with Cora and Hook while Storybrooke was trying to get them back. The only saving grace of the season has been the reveal and speculation dealing with other worlds. Still no mention of what's up with Bael, Brit(Emma's baby daddy, forget his name), Pinnochio, or what Pinnochio was up to. The only elements of an overarching story they have dealt with all came in the first couple episodes and were completely forgot about since then.

Hex

Banned
Hows season two been so far? I've seen season one but have not started two yet.

I am enjoying it.
Obviously you have to know that things will get messy and all over the place once people got their memories back and magic came back because there are so many characters and so many worlds and people that they will want to throw in here and there so it does not have the focus that the first season had.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
The wife caught that Pongo was the dog from 101 Dalmations.. so, there's that.

I'm still enjoying it.. the digital sets got SLIGHTLY better, and it's still just a guilty pleasure. The flashback are LOST-esque enough that I'm willing to give it a pass on the 'vagueness' of the reveals... I'm not expecting the pinnacle of Entertainment with this show.. I just enjoy seeing the Disneyverse represented in a slightly more mature manner, and that's all I can ask.

Sober

I honestly laugh at the idea that season 1 is seen as this show's peak for stories, acting etc

Season 2 is trying to be something that season 1 didn't... trying to have more of a continuing storyline throughout, and less episodic I guess. Expanding the universe, and maybe the show is kinda in over its head by doing that, but I admire the risk taking.
I think they are going too fast, as much as I prefer serials to not get bogged down being too episodic. Also, probably Regina fatigue because at least 3 or 4 episodes were about her (the Frankenstein episode was definitely more about her than Mr. Whale). The last one was pretty good, too standard and we didn't learn too much about the time in the Enchanted Forest though.

I thought the last episode was good, but it could've aired a bit later down the line. Cora and Hook should've taken another 2 or 3 episodes to come through and give us some time to catch up with the rest of the characters. Even though the curse was reversed, we haven't seen Pinocchio and Gippeto, or Grumpy and Amy Acker's character, or what some of the others that aren't Snow-Charming/Regina/Rumple/Cora-Hook are doing.

It'd be interesting to see how they were pre-curse then post-curse but that is really only Rumple-Bell's thing right now, which is a bit of a shame because I kinda enjoyed some of the S1 episodes (though I kinda hated cursed Snow/Charming at the time, probably still do).

Medalion

Banned
THere was a new ep tonight, and this is the first time I've seen no bump

I guess everybody has made good on their word to abandon the show?

Oh wells.

Raydeen

THere was a new ep tonight, and this is the first time I've seen no bump

I guess everybody has made good on their word to abandon the show?

Oh wells.

The premises of the show is brilliant. Utter brilliance...it just *hurts* to see the lacklusture execution. So many key roles filled with soap opera, Sunset Beach quality actors. :(

Medalion

Banned
too much Belle, not enuff Rumple
Hook was too one dimensional tonight
Rumple used the force choke on Smee lol
yep,still hate mulan
yaguoi cg was yikes
this ep was a weird one, definetly needed more work

Just caught up on the last 2 eps(didn't watch) for the new one tonight.

Hook is still alive right? Episode cut out on ABC.com when he gets hit by the car.

DrEvil

Glad Henry acknowledged that hook isn't a fairy tale. And that the curse affected many other lands.

Also: lol @ Star Wars ring tone. Way to diversify that acquisition Disney.

Glad Henry acknowledged that hook isn't a fairy tale. And that the curse affected many other lands.

Also: lol @ Star Wars ring tone. Way to diversify that acquisition Disney.
I don't think he said anything about Hook. He said Dr. Frankenstein wasn't a fairy tale.

Loved tonight's episode. Things are starting to gear up once again, for the season finale. I'm slightly concerned about the "flashbacks" the last few have been pretty pointless IMO. I hope they would get rid of them in the future (though I bet it won't happen). Maybe use them to introduce new characters. Maybe they should go back to alternating present time Enchanted Forest/Storybrooke.

ag-my001

Loved tonight's episode. Things are starting to gear up once again, for the season finale. I'm slightly concerned about the "flashbacks" the last few have been pretty pointless IMO. I hope they would get rid of them in the future (though I bet it won't happen). Maybe use them to introduce new characters. Maybe they should go back to alternating present time Enchanted Forest/Storybrooke.

I wouldn't say they've been pointless. The ones in Belle's episode fill in her backstory between leaving and getting captured, as well as setting up the Mulan/Philip connection (which I still expect to be the main Fairy Tale plot this season). Whale's also filled in the holes in his story, also revealing that some Storybrooke characters know their "story" version ("My name just means a monster now", or something like that.)

I wouldn't say they've been pointless. The ones in Belle's episode fill in her backstory between leaving and getting captured, as well as setting up the Mulan/Philip connection (which I still expect to be the main Fairy Tale plot this season). Whale's also filled in the holes in his story, also revealing that some Storybrooke characters know their "story" version ("My name just means a monster now", or something like that.)

I like the kind of self-awareness some of the characters have now. It's very meta in a weird way, and yet the show still makes it work.

Did anyone else catch that during Frankenstein's flashback, he referenced the place he lived as Earth? So it seems like whatever universe he's from is an alternate Earth, which is very interesting.

Medalion

Banned
Sorry I am late to this one, I've been catching up with Family from out of town, not had much time to catch on mah shows

Overall I enjoyed this latest ep, despite everything moving so quickly

I was one of the few people who really enjoyed the introduction of Frankenstein in the previous episodes, the idea of the alternative world besides our reality and the Fairy Tale world, which is even touched upon by Henry near the end of the episode

I loved the Star Wars ringtone, very very meta

Seeing Jennifer Morrison back in a Hospital Environment talking to patients is very nostalgic, like watching HOUSE again.

A tad grossed out by the Cora and Rumple kiss

I don't say it enough but Regina is really hot sometimes, even in the little screentime she had in tonight's ep

The guy from outta town who saw the "magic" happenings... who the hell would believe him anyways if it were "real life"

aett

I was one of the few people who really enjoyed the introduction of Frankenstein in the previous episodes, the idea of the alternative world besides our reality and the Fairy Tale world, which is even touched upon by Henry near the end of the episode

I loved that part. It was nice to have a character point out that Dr. Frankenstein wasn't from a fairy tale, and that there may be other people in their town from other worlds. (After Henry says that line and there's a knock on the door, I joked to my wife that it would be Darth Vader as a pizza delivery guy)

The guy from outta town who saw the "magic" happenings... who the hell would believe him anyways if it were "real life"

I agree. The characters were overreacting. If that dude told ANYONE "hey I saw someone use magic" they wouldn't believe him at BEST.

This thread isn't very active. :/

The latest episode ends in such an unbelievable manner.

"Honey, I've just gone out of surgery after having a car accident, but you wouldn't BELIEVE what I saw before that: a fucking dude doing MAGIC !"

How in the fucking world is anyone going to believe this bullshit ?

KevinCow

Banned

"Honey, I've just gone out of surgery after having a car accident, but you wouldn't BELIEVE what I saw before that: a fucking dude doing MAGIC !"

I liked how that guy's ringtone was the Star Wars theme. Disney making use of that license already.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.

She won't believe him at first, but then she'll realize deep down that magic does exist and always has...in her heart.

Seriously though, most of the shit on this show doesn't follow logically, so I'm sure they'll have some stupid justification.

KevinCow

Banned
I'm hoping this is just a bit of a sophomore slump and they eventually get their act back together. It seems like they had a cool idea for the first season, but didn't really know where to go from there for the second.

That said, this was one of the better episodes in a while. I love Hurley, so I'm glad they found a way to bring him into the town. And I find these one-off flashbacks for smaller characters are usually far more interesting than yet another Cora/Snow/Charming flashback, especially when they show us a part of the Enchanted Forest we haven't really seen much of before. And the giant special effects were far less terrible than last time.

I liked the bit about Charming's name. That's something that's always kinda confused me, so I'm glad they cleared it up.

Medalion

Banned
That was frightfully awful episode

I guess cuz I wasn't a watcher of Lost, I may not get it

but fucking hell was that just awful

Not even Tess Mercer could save it

Niraj

That was frightfully awful episode

I guess cuz I wasn't a watcher of Lost, I may not get it

but fucking hell was that just awful

Not even Tess Mercer could save it

I wasn't much of a fan either. I think I'm more interested in the Mr. Gold in the real world plot...even though it means more Henry :(

Cheska

As someone who was obsessed with season one, this season just isn't cutting it. I'm finding that I don't even feel the desire to watch it on Sunday and basically just get to it when I have a chance. I wonder if they should have kept the spell going on a little longer.

addik

I still have to catch up with the Season. I think I stopped before the Queen of Hearts episode? I still read the Episodes Plot Summary from time to time

I think the problem of Season 2 was that it just went too big too fast. Season 1 appealed to me because it was one of those "something's afoot in this small little town" kind of detective story with magic and fairy tale characters. I thought it was primarily a detective story with fantasy elements. Season 2 is really expanding the world, and it feels more of a Fantasy Series rather than a Detective series.

I still think the series is worth following, but I'll only watch the episode in bulks now.

The only interesting plotline is the guy from Terriers' plotline. I'm guessing he's baelfire.

The whole town is boring right now. Captain hook has been a let down.

ag-my001

I honestly don't think the Mercer character died, they would have made sure to show that scene

Wasn't Jack's skeleton seen in the first beanstalk episode, lying next to the sword? I'm pretty sure the pose they had Jack go into at the end matched up, but I don't think I have that episode on the DVR anymore. That's the fun part of these episodes: filling in the gaps of what we know, what we think we know (from the stories), and the twist that OuaT decides to go with.

DrEvil

Belle was watching Exposé, they flew on Ajira Airlines for 42 minutes, and the Mysterious Island book was present in the ep.

I fully expect the dharma initiative to be involved at some point before this series ends...

Medalion

Banned
The Giant storyline worked better when he wasn't in as much as he was in tonight's ep... too much

Hook is boring now, he's just a two-faced horndog all the time

Oh no, two people believe in magic, that means shit's gonna happen right?

Please...

Belle was watching Exposé, they flew on Ajira Airlines for 42 minutes, and the Mysterious Island book was present in the ep.

I fully expect the dharma initiative to be involved at some point before this series ends...

Wait what? I caught Ajira airlines but not that....

I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's episode. We all knew what was coming but still, the "Fairytale World" story was a nice way to wrap up Rumple's storyline so far and sort of bring together both seasons.

Also we finally learned Cora's plans so now things are gonna get more intense until the season finale.

I say: BRING IT ON!

Niraj

Definitely thought this one was much better than it has been the last few weeks. The seer was pretty cool, and the backstory had a good build up. Maybe it's because the story wasn't spread out so much? A little focus seemed to be a good thing.

KevinCow

Banned
Bahaha, the reveal of what was in Pinocchio's box was hilariously anticlimactic. There was literally no reason for him to do it like that except for the sake of keeping his true identity a mystery from the viewer.

Bahaha, the reveal of what was in Pinocchio's box was hilariously anticlimactic. There was literally no reason for him to do it like that except for the sake of keeping his true identity a mystery from the viewer.

lol yeah. I thought it was going to be something magic related. If they were just going to do that, why didn't they have August just whisper into baelfire's ear. This was a complete waste of a box.

Niraj

Lol, yeah, that was awful. They really couldn't think of anything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom