• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best/Worst rain in videogames (Sponsored by Resident Evil 4 Remake)

stranno

Watching the awful rain on Resident Evil 4 Remake I wonder what would be the best and worst rain ever seen in videogames.

Worst (recently):

Resident Evil 4 Remake (WIP, maybe). Not terrible, water even has color and lightning properties, but still pretty bad for a 2023 AAA game.

vfLhhg6.gif

Grand Theft Auto 3: The Definitive Edition

cTkhkv7.gif

Best:

Crysis 3

CjO1kS9.gif

Cold Fear

mxyeA6h.gif

Last edited:

stranno

Killer8

Resident Evil 4 remake and GTA3: DE look so bad because the rain basically looks stuck to the screen. No matter how you move the camera or run through the environment, it's like a curtain of the same effect repeated over and over.

As a rule for videogame rain, I think you shouldn't really be able to identify individual rain drops. There needs to be a certain amount of motion blur on each drop. Either a motion blur effect applied or at least make the raindrops stylized to look like it's in motion (eg. a long trail), since after all a rain drop is fast moving. The rain also needs to fall in varying intensities so it doesn't just look like repeated sheets of drops.

Another issue with RE4 remake is that there is barely any interaction between the raindrops and the ground. All they've done is make the ground shiny instead of simulating this:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh yeah, it's pretty awesome in Breath of the Wild, forgot about it. The way it makes puddles (or even ponds) everywhere and what not and then dries over time. And it looks pretty sweet with the haze/fog/whatever effects it usually comes with rather than just the actual drops. Pretty impressive.

zelda-breath-wild-weather-cycle.large.jpg

Hard to find videos (without emulation that may look wrong) showing all the little effects it has, from the above mentioned to surfaces getting wet to the rain bouncing off characters/objects and what not, it all completes an awesome look.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
People are so upset by this rain which can be toned down in a patch or before release yet no mention of how bad Ashley's Skort looks.
Just put some shorts on underneath like a real skort if it bothers people that much.
02JTXVN.jpg

The RE skort looks dumb.

Last edited:

makaveli60

Resident Evil 4 remake and GTA3: DE look so bad because the rain basically looks stuck to the screen. No matter how you move the camera or run through the environment, it's like a curtain of the same effect repeated over and over.

As a rule for videogame rain, I think you shouldn't really be able to identify individual rain drops. There needs to be a certain amount of motion blur on each drop. Either a motion blur effect applied or at least make the raindrops stylized to look like it's in motion (eg. a long trail), since after all a rain drop is fast moving. The rain also needs to fall in varying intensities so it doesn't just look like repeated sheets of drops.

Another issue with RE4 remake is that there is barely any interaction between the raindrops and the ground. All they've done is make the ground shiny instead of simulating this:

Yeah, I remember I hated this kind of solution in 2006 in the otherwise amazing Oblivion already

PLEASE FIX this CAPCOM! At least tone it down. It's way too bright.

Cyberpunk 2077's rain sucks. I started noticing it after FSR was added to the game. Sonic frontiers has bad rain.

Top Bottom