• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best/Worst rain in videogames (Sponsored by Resident Evil 4 Remake)

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
3zz1XnH.gif

Warablo

The Witcher 3 is really bad like that RE4 remake gif in some places. Extra bad in cutscenes

Could be my mods or next-gen issue though.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Le Mans on Dreamcast had nice rain. Individual drops, little circle thingie where they touch the ground, haze going off the car tires, making the road slightly reflective, some pre-shader droplets on camera effects, etc., can't find any good footage with it but you can see some of it here.

stranno

Le Mans on Dreamcast had nice rain. Individual drops, little circle thingie where they touch the ground, haze going off the car tires, making the road slightly reflective, some pre-shader droplets on camera effects, etc., can't find any good footage with it but you can see some of it here.

Need for Speed 2: Special Edition also had hardware accelerated randomized on-screen droplets, if you use the Glide renderer (3DFX did what Nvidiadon't).

Z4Cot9U.gif

Probably the first game ever to do that on PC.

QVHvdjO.gif

Kill·Switch also had some nice on screen droplets + rain. Nothing special, but it looked great back in the day.

Last edited:
I nominate Pikmin 3 for best rain, and just best environments in general. Really looking forward to how good Pikmin 4 will (hopefully) look.

iu
I love Pikmin but the inability to move the camera and being stuck from one angle in Pikmin 3 was highly frustrating.

Another Iori

Neo Member
When I think of rain in video games, the first thing that comes to my mind is the rainy backdrop of Tung Fu Rue in "Fatal Fury" 1, whch is supposed to have been the first title to introduce the weather changes in the fighting games, however, on the net I have not found the GIF of this stage during this very moment, therefore, I will nominate "The King of Fighters '99' as the final choice, because in my opinion it still possesses to this day the best rainy background seen in a totally two-dimensional game.

RtUyeCE.gif

NmpbUrj.gif

hlOHc3I.gif

Last edited:

Synless

When I think of rain in video games, the first thing that comes to my mind is the rainy backdrop of Tung Fu Rue in "Fatal Fury" 1, whch is supposed to have been the first title to introduce the weather changes in the fighting games, however, on the net I have not found the GIF of this stage during this very moment, therefore, I will nominate "The King of Fighters '99' as the final choice, because in my opinion it still possesses to this day the best rainy background seen in a totally two-dimensional game.

RtUyeCE.gif

NmpbUrj.gif

hlOHc3I.gif

beautiful.

Last edited:

Another Iori

Neo Member
Update:
While I was looking the images for write this post, I and user ZeroZeroQuatre chose the exact same thing, but I guess it's no shame see such a masterpiece of pixel art with three other different images.

Last edited:

Comandr

It really feels like RE4, a game that's still in development, is getting a lot of unnecessary heat for a really minor thing.

RE2 didn't look like this.

Another RE engine game in the same franchise. Why should RE4 look dramatically worse? This just seems like a case of the transparency is incorrect on the rain. I'm certain this will be fixed by launch. That said, Drive Club has the best rain, and everyone else is just racing for second.

R6Rider

Gold Member
The Kayak VR game has good rain.

GT7 has really good rain too as well as Hitman 3 on the Chongqing level.

shiru

Banned
MGS2 rain is a classic. The rain in the original RE4 also looked great. From modern games Driveclub and Arkham Knight are really well done.

Imagine if a studio like Retro back then could work with 2023 modern PC hardware instead of a Nintendo console...
uh ok

Last edited:

Moriah20

Days Gone, glad to see it mentioned. Beyond rain it also has snow and what's cool about it is that the snow actually persists on the ground, gradually building up a full coverage, transforming how everything looks. It's something that very few games do, and I appreciate that the devs went the extra mile there.

RDR 2, another one already mentioned, but yeah, it's probably the best rain. I like how it has tons of different types of it too - short, intense showers, calm, long lasting rain, thunderstorms, weak trickling, etc. It really feels dynamic in a way that a lot of games just don't.

Fredrik

People are so upset by this rain which can be toned down in a patch or before release yet no mention of how bad Ashley's Skort looks.
Just put some shorts on underneath like a real skort if it bothers people that much.
02JTXVN.jpg

The RE skort looks dumb.
No wonder women’s tennis is so popular

• LOL
Reactions: TGO
Top Bottom