• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda Reportedly Wants To Give Redfall A “Redemption Arc”

Draugoth

Gold Member
Redfall-2.png

Speaking to Digital Foundry’s John Linneman in his podcast, Jez Corden — known industry insider — has claimed that Bethesda is planning a redemption arc for Redfall. For reference, you may want to skip to 42:53 in the following video.

Jez said:

I spoke to some Bethesda people, and well I say I spoke to but I eavesdropped [laughs] their conversation at the not E3 events in LA this year and they were talking about sticking with the game. Yeah, they were talking about sticking with the game for years and, you know, they want to give it a ‘redemption arc‘ and stuff like that.”

At the time of writing, Redfall is still doing badly, at least on Steam it’s this way. The charts on SteamDB tell us that a total of 14 players are in the game right now, and the all-time peak of 6,000-ish players dates back to 6 months ago. Though it’s worth mentioning that not even Cyberpunk 2077 didn’t plummeted this hard when it launched, there’s still hope for Redfall, and it mainly comes in the form of Xbox Game Pass.

DryvBy

Is this just a new thing since it helped NMS so much? Release a barely functioning title then fix it up later so journos will say they poured so much love into the product? Microsoft imo already follows this early access model with other games, but I don't want to see things become the norm.

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Man imagine being asked as a dev to "redeem" Redfall.

I'd quit my job on the spot. Ridiculous.
To go where? With Xbox backing Bethesda should be pretty stable for the next few years. So better stay and ask to work somewhere else under any Xbox team if you really want to stop working on Redfall.
As for this news? It was during "not E3" so a few months ago. In the next E3 we may be getting a trailer for the next Arkane game.
Why?
It's already perfect.
Good One Lol GIF by Justin

simpatico

It could be done with a ton of polish, but considering how long the product we got took, I don't know if it's worth it. It needs major work, and I think a lot of people have moved on from color coded looter shooters.

The upside is not as high as No Mans Sky or Cyberpunk. Even at its best, Redfall is in a dead genre unless you are Destiny 2.

Freeman76

Its a decent world they designed, creepy and well thought out, they need to utilise that properly and it could redeem itself

diffusionx

Gold Member
It could be done with a ton of polish, but considering how long the product we got took, I don't know if it's worth it. It needs major work, and I think a lot of people have moved on from color coded looter shooters.

The upside is not as high as No Mans Sky or Cyberpunk. Even at its best, Redfall is in a dead genre unless you are Destiny 2.
think about all the good PR that NMS and CP2077 got for their "redemption arc". Now think of that going to MS/Xbox/GP.

Not saying the expense is worth it, the game needs to be rebuilt basically except for the world, but I can see why they would consider it.

dem

A co-op game without matchmaking… and now no people to play with even if it was there.

Yeah.. they might wanna move on. There isn’t enough of a game there to revive. Going by how slow this team operates… this game needed another 2 years in the oven to get to a decent base state.

Last edited:

Neon Xenon

I suppose it's possible for Redfall to have a "Redemption Arc" if enough work is put in to improve the core gameplay (which never looked interesting to me) and the issues with the game are fixed.

But let's say a "Redfall Reborn" does happen. How many people are willing to come back to give the game another shot? Will people be busy with another game that may do something similar to or better than Redfall by that point? This isn't as simple as "hey guys, game fixed" and the player numbers get a big boost.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Completely gut the Co-op and Gaas like stuff and reassemble to make a single player game.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Would be really interesting if they pulled it off. They should also rework the characters. Their designs are not good and the abilities are also boring. I installed it after the patch, but haven't looked into it yet.

Last edited:
They have 2 heroes to release for the season pass they sold. I imagine they'll work it up to a certain point by the last character they release, and then just call it a day. There is just no way we get a Cyberpunk redemption arc with the game having so many issues from a core design standpoint. Still, if the developers want to improve the game while the rest of the team is in the early stages of their next game, it's not the worst thing. Apparently most of the core studio is gone, so they could use the continued development time as a tool to get the newer team members up to a higher level.

I played this for the first time this week for a few hours. It was fun enough, and there are traces of Arkane's flair there.

It'd be fun to play with friends, but what isn't? And my friends and I have other games we'd rather play.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
IDK at least to me this game looked so bland and unappealing since day 1. It’s not like No Man’s Sky, Cyberpunk, Anthem etc where they had a really cool concept and it felt like a big loss that it didn’t reach its potential.

it sounds like Microsoft were the only ones who had high hopes for this game.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I will accept the redemption arc if they let me play as a Thick Thighed Bootylicious Busty Ninja Girl with flowing long hair as soft as silk with beautiful eyes that outshine the moon at night armed with a M56 Smartgun from Alien as a primary weapon.

Suffice to say I don't think Redfall will be getting any redemption arc anytime soon.

If they had 2 brains they should take a look at Deep Rock Galactic and base off their Vampire Horde shooter off of that and add more cities/biomes that Vampires make their nest in to hunt and kill and explore.

Real Talk. If they want to support Redfall they need to go radio silent and walk the walk if they are going to talk the talk. Because right now I see no reason to give Redfall a chance unless it goes on sale for like $15.

The worst Borderlands game is more worth your time then Redfall.

Top Bottom