• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beyond 50/50: Breaking Down The Percentage of Female Gamers by Genre (DAI 48% Female)

Melchiah

It's odd, that horror is completely absent from the results. I presume it would be more popular among the ladies, than many of the low-scoring genres in the chart.

Platy

For example, games on the bottom of the chart tend to not have female protagonists, tend to involve playing with strangers online, and tend to have a lot of rapid 3D movement which can lead to motion sickness (which women are more susceptible to). Low female gamer participation in certain genres may be a historical artifact of how motivations and presentation have been bundled together and marketed.

I am SHOCKED by these findings, who would have guessed that lack of representation, toxic online communities and sexist marketing would make women go away?

hxyOA1G.jpg

Damn, women have much better taste than men

(Also, JRPG > WRPG as it should be)

inky

Weird Jrpg at high percents given some of the design choices.

Is this US only?

I don't think it is that weird, at least accounting for my personal experience. There's a good amount of female characters and even with some questionable designs they seem to connect with them. Then again, my female friends who like games beyond casual match 3s seems to be big anime fans too.

Something I'll never understand, because jeffgerstmann.gif ;P

Platy

Or maybe woman just like different things.

I love that you say this because the sentence EXACTLY before the one I quoted is

It’s also easy to read the genres in the chart and pin the cause solely on gender differences in gaming motivations–e.g., women simply don’t like X or Y game mechanic, but there may be a lot more going on.

All those studies make me angry. Such a HUGE sample base (effort) and then the question they ask is almost irrelevant.

The most important question is how much are female gamers willing to SPEND on gaming compared to male gamers. That's the number the industry cares about.

Other things about OP's study:
- what were the demographics? How many non-gamers? Age? Living alone? Income? How many hours of play per week?
- the study calls out the ESA report for people thinking it's inaccurate und bundles "gamers" together, but - even though they have the data - they only analyze their own survey data for genre differences in percent and not by numbers.
What if only 100 people play match 3 games and 69 were female, but 10,000 people play sports games and only 200 are female? Then not only sports game would be more popular by female gamers than match 3 games, it would (/could if this holds true for more genres) also mean that there a a ton more male gamers than female gamers.

I thought, Persona 3 was the only one. Why did they stop then?

I wouldn't really call it "stopping", there are too few data points to extrapolate a trend yet:
P1: Male
P2: IS: Male
P2: EP: Female
P3: Male (Male / Female in the PSP version).
P4: Male
P5: Male
If P6 also goes with a male character and we don't get any version of P4,5,6 with a female lead, then it does start to look bad. Of course at the rate they're releasing them now, the Sun may have gone nova by then. :D

Top Bottom