• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female Gamers and Older Gamers Prefer Third-Person Perspective (generate your own gamer profile)

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://quanticfoundry.com/2023/01/27/perspective/

The Gamer Motivation Profile is a 5-minute survey that allows gamers to get a personalized report of their gaming motivations, and see how they compare with other gamers. Over 1.25 million gamers worldwide have taken this survey. The 12 motivations that are measured in our model were identified via statistical analysis of how gaming motivations cluster together.

Shooter Fans Strongly Prefer 1PP. MMO Fans Strongly Prefer 3PP.​

Collated-PoV-1600-Logo.png

Female Gamers Are More Likely to Prefer 3PP.​

Collated-PoV-Gender-1600-Logo.png

Over time I've preferred 3rd person too, or at least a hybrid camera system like in Skyrim. First person has it's merits, especially when wanting to view details up close or feel more immersion. However, when playing a more difficult mode or game, I want to be able to see as much as possible including enemies approaching from the rear so that I have a chance to react to it. In first person games you normally feel the impact first and see a red line indicator before you even have a chance to react.

Also in first person games, devs are more likely to program enemies to awkwardly enter your camera's FOV first before making any critical moves. In some games they do a good job of hiding this, but in others it looks way off and makes them look like they're in a rail shooter.

Reactions: Isa

Fermbiz

Gold Member
I dont mind first person or third person view, i just fucking hate over the shoulder third person view

Freeza93

Banned
I remember there was an FPS on console that had the craziest FoV ever back in the day, like 55 FoV lmao. It doesn't usually bother me too much if its 70 even but this was like you had binoculars on your eyes lol
far cry was terrible too. When you play on pc too it bothers you.

Freeza93

Banned
so what is this about? 1st and 3rd person preference? What has the sex something to do with it? I dont get it. Gamers are gamers why would you segregate them.

Majormaxxx

Source: https://quanticfoundry.com/2023/01/27/perspective/

The Gamer Motivation Profile is a 5-minute survey that allows gamers to get a personalized report of their gaming motivations, and see how they compare with other gamers. Over 1.25 million gamers worldwide have taken this survey. The 12 motivations that are measured in our model were identified via statistical analysis of how gaming motivations cluster together.

Shooter Fans Strongly Prefer 1PP. MMO Fans Strongly Prefer 3PP.​

Collated-PoV-1600-Logo.png

Female Gamers Are More Likely to Prefer 3PP.​

Collated-PoV-Gender-1600-Logo.png
This is misleading. All people prefer 3pp for these genres according to the results.

Stupid poll.

Reactions: Isa

Kilau

So older female gamers prefer to just watch someone else play a 3rd person game, its like 4th person gaming.

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
I'm old and i prefer 1st person. If the game has the option i always choose 1st person.

Last edited:
Things about to pop off in here so uhhh:

Leaving See Ya GIF by MOODMAN
Yeah, I was hoping to see some fun takes about 1st vs 3rd person but instead the word 'non-binary' triggered people into a different topic I guess.

so what is this about? 1st and 3rd person preference? What has the sex something to do with it? I dont get it. Gamers are gamers why would you segregate them.
You're the one who steered the thread's conversation in that direction. You're the one constantly pointing it out. That's why we're here now. Enjoy the thread derail 🤷‍♂️

Mozzarella

Yeah most prefer Third Person, and i understand why, its cooler.
But First Person is underrated, a lot of masterpieces are First Person, those who refuse to play any first person game are missing out, big time.

Considering I grew up on shooters like Syphon Filter, SOCOM, and Star Wars Battlefront I think I know why I still prefer third person shooters.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
I'm the 40 year old who teabags your kid 😂

1r4rkVU.jpg

Online FPS with focus on teamplay is still my favorite genre. PvE or PvP as long I have to work with others to obtain a common goal I'm having great fun. Single Player games are fine, but I won't be throwing +1000 hours at them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
3rd person games grant corner peak which generally makes games slower paced and cerebral.

1st person is for children who drink red bull.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
First person can be a comfort problem. My wife was a nightly Call of Duty player until I bought us a 65" TV and now she can't play without getting motion sick.

Top Bottom