• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloober team is moving away from psychological horror

Source: https://www.engadget.com/bloober-team-is-done-making-psychological-horror-games-163039512.html

How ignorant can they be, yes their gameplay needs a lot of improving, but that doesn’t automatically means needs more action. They honestly want to say, if the Medium or the layers of fear Remake would have had more action segments they would have been masterpieces…

I mean now they are remaking the essence of a psychological horror game and want to move away from that genre?

I was seriously considering to give them a shot at the remake, since I thought, perhaps they learned from their mistakes and that at the layers of fear remake their b team was working, but this completetely destroys my hopes at a good enough remake.

Doom85

Okay, but looking at the actual quotes that were provided by Bloober, they never specify that the remake will be included with this new design philosophy. So I wonder if they are putting more action in it, or did the interviewer take their discussion and jump to conclusions with it?

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
In the full article:

"Silent Hill 2 will be the public’s first taste of Bloober’s redirection... [into mass-market horror]"

Well... that does not bode well for the remake. Silent Hill 2 was never action orientated, and was more phycological and atmospheric, which is what Bloober is really good at.

Silent Hill has never been mass-market and should not be forced into that mold.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The devs working on the remake to the magnum opus of psychological horror in gaming is proud to announce that they're done with psychological horror in gaming, and look forward to showing you their new direction towards gritty, violent, slashhouse fun in the first title to utilize it: Silent Hill 2: Remake!

Stay tuned, Konami is working on another CG trailer of an alligator eating a snake.

Muffdraul

Here we go again.

Visceral 2010: "We're adding a few action set pieces to Dead Space 2 to balance it out a bit, a lot of people complained DS1 was too oppressive with no let up."

Dead Space fans: "OMG THEYRE TURING DEAD SPACE INTO GEARS OF WAR NOOOOOOOOOO"

~Dead Space 2 is released and has a little more action than DS1 did but overall is very very similar~

Dead Space fans: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO THEY MADE DEAD SPACE 2 EXACTLY LIKE GEARS OF WAR FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU"

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
That would be unpleasant …

James: ...Maria?

*Maria backflips over a bridge in Rosewater Park just before a jetliner demolishes the center of the park in a barrage of twisted steel and flame. She lands gently and poised, like a feline. She looks up toward James and the camera, a knowing twinkle shining in her eye as a single bang flutters in front of her gaze*

Maria: Well I'm not your Mary!"

*Maria brandishes her M4*

brian0057

Banned
Here we go again.

Visceral 2010: "We're adding a few action set pieces to Dead Space 2 to balance it out a bit, a lot of people complained DS1 was too oppressive with no let up."

Dead Space fans: "OMG THEYRE TURING DEAD SPACE INTO GEARS OF WAR NOOOOOOOOOO"

~Dead Space 2 is released and has a little more action than DS1 did but overall is very very similar~

Dead Space fans: "NOOOOOOOOOOOO THEY MADE DEAD SPACE 2 EXACTLY LIKE GEARS OF WAR FFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUU"
As much as I love Dead Space 2, it's not at all "very, very similar" to the first game.
It relies way more on jump scares than the first game and, apart from the daycare and the visit to the Ishimura, it's basically Resident Evil 5.
Dead Space 3 was just the logical conclusion.
This is why the first game (not the remake) is the best game in the franchise.

Last edited:

wOs

And nothing was lost or gained. Hopefully, they also hire new development people to make their games fun.

bloober: 'well, we finally got around reading that memo that everyone received a few tears back announcing that walking sims were out'...

Am I the only one that might be interpreting it as Silent Hill 2 remake being outside their comfort zone as developers and requiring extra effort to adapt/enhance thereby paving the way for future projects?

Last edited:
In the full article:

"Silent Hill 2 will be the public’s first taste of Bloober’s redirection... [into mass-market horror]"

Well... that does not bode well for the remake. Silent Hill 2 was never action orientated, and was more phycological and atmospheric, which is what Bloober is really good at.

Silent Hill has never been mass-market and should not be forced into that mold.

Jesus Sony, get in there and slap some sense into this senseless team.

If they mess up this Silent Hill 2 remake, it's going to reflect badly on Sony IMO, but look even worst for Konami. Will immediately dampen any enthusiasm for the MGS3 Remake by association. They need to make sure SH2 Remake is received well by the core fans, not just new FNAF/jump scare indie horror fan audience.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Jesus Sony, get in there and slap some sense into this senseless team.

If they mess up this Silent Hill 2 remake, it's going to reflect badly on Sony IMO, but look even worst for Konami. Will immediately dampen any enthusiasm for the MGS3 Remake by association. They need to make sure SH2 Remake is received well by the core fans, not just new FNAF/jump scare indie horror fan audience.
We should know for sure in the gameplay reveal. There is a certain level of “modernization” that I would find acceptable. For example: 3rd person aiming for shooting. I am okay if they throw lock on aiming out, but the 3rd person aiming has to feel good of course.

Time will tell. I won’t throw Bloober under the bus until the final release of the game, but we should know all we need to know in the next few months when they release gameplay 👍

I still think Konami picking these Bargain Bin Horror tools to remake SH2 is one of the biggest monkey paw moments in modern gaming for me.

I trashed the shit out of The Medium and made comments about how hilarious it would be if this dev ends up getting their hands on actual SH. I jinxed it. I DID THIS.

not safe for work no GIF

DaGwaphics

I personally prefer games that you actually feel like you are playing. This was one the big criticisms I had for The Medium. It didn't really feel like a game to me and was boring as a result. I think action/combat can easily coexist with psychological horror, when you look at RE1 you have a game that has a lot of strong horror elements but also you have combat and enemies to fight/weapons etc. RE1 wasn't action all the time, no, but just the sparseness of ammo and the difference in the strengths and weaknesses of the different weapons made you engage with the game a lot more.

I don't think this has to be a bad thing. There can be different levels. Obviously if you go full RE6, you've dropped most of the horror elements (outside of the very opening).

Just have to wait and see how it turns out. A bit of a change in direction might help them find their stride.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I still think Konami picking these Bargain Bin Horror tools to remake SH2 is one of the biggest monkey paw moments in modern gaming for me.

I trashed the shit out of The Medium and made comments about how hilarious it would be if this dev ends up getting their hands on actual SH. I jinxed it. I DID THIS.

not safe for work no GIF

It's all just another layer in Kojima's grand scheme.

kiphalfton

How can they move away from psychological horror, when the performance in all their games is downright frightening?

Aion002

Hmm … what does mass-market horror exactly mean? Is Resident Evil mass-market horror?
Yep.

Resident Evil and Dead Space are the best examples of "mass market horror", both are primarily shooters. Even the first Resident Evil games on ps1 had a strong focus on getting guns to shoot things.

While games like Silent Hill are focused on exploration and being creepy. The combat is just there.

And shooting things always has a bigger market than not shooting things on games.

Basically:

Silent Hill is Alien.

Resident Evil is Aliens.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

I mean SH2 hasnt even released and they are already giving up on the genre.
No chance that remake is any good - it looked fucking terrible from the jump.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I think people here grossly overestimate the market’s interest for the SH2 remake.
Bloober Team will have a prestigious IP on their resume regardless of how the final game turns out, which will be useful to them for their future not-psychological horror projects. Meanwhile, the handful of people who care about Silent Hill in 2023 won’t be that many missed sales in the future if the remake is a dud and they’ll never buy a Bloober Team game again.

StueyDuck

Amazing, let’s find out what genre they can be mediocre at next.
It's alot harder to replicate games with actual gameplay.

Don't get me wrong I love PT, truly a unique and incredible experience.

But these guys have been riding that train for years now. Walk to x , look at y, oooo spooky happens. Walk to x2 look at y2, ooooo spooky happens.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
The devs working on the remake to the magnum opus of psychological horror in gaming is proud to announce that they're done with psychological horror in gaming, and look forward to showing you their new direction towards gritty, violent, slashhouse fun in the first title to utilize it: Silent Hill 2: Remake!

Stay tuned, Konami is working on another CG trailer of an alligator eating a snake.

Ill always be fascinated by this new generation of entitled people that think they can do better than the original author/director

Tolkien wrote LOR and the middle earrh history and sold gazillions of best sellers ? Sure I can do better and change somethings
That witcher writer bitch thinks geralt is the main character? Sure I can come up with something new
George Lucas created star wars and molded the expanded universe ? Fuck that! The force is female and I can change everything

Respect for peoples legacies and achievements is definitely a lost art in morden day entertainment

Last edited:

Ansphn

Need to move away from their studio name too. Probably the worst studio name I ever seen. When I see Bloober, it does it instill faith and confidence.

Top Bottom