• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne: The Old Hunters |OT| Old Hunters. New Tricks, Bells & Whistles.

Sayad

Bloodborne noob here with a question or two.

I've finally beaten the first two bosses and just when I thought I'd broken the "repeat the same shit over and over again" thing, I'm back to having to repeat the same bits over and over to get to the third boss as I learn the best way to take it down. Does the entire game follow this same loop? Just when I start to enjoy myself, I get dragged back into tedious repetition.
The game idea of checkpoint is to unlock shortcuts as you advance through the area, pay attention to those short cuts and use them. Also keep in mind that most enemies are easy to avoid or run past, you don't have to clear your way through to the boss every time, if you know the area well, you can just run to the boss ignoring/dodging everything one your way.

First time in this thread, been playing bloodborne pvp for most of the its cycle though recently more and more times that I've been getting dropped connections. Has this been occurring to anyone?

Just want to play pvp man.
Probably SFV scrubs taking their rage quitting antics to other games.

/jk

Those monsters have some nasty moves :p

darksouls2yhob0.gif

Edit: Dat Dark Souls 2 like hitbox.

Quick question, I beat Bloodborne once and then started a NG+. If I buy the DLC now will the DLC content be affected by the NG+ difficulty increase or does it start at a base difficulty level?

Not that I've beat him yet. But got close on the second try. He isn't too bad. I'm about level 86

I hate those dudes. The ones with the anchors are worse.

I was referring to the Dark Souls 2 like hit box :p

But yes, they are hard, but is manageable if you stagger them.

Especially the ones in the well to get the Rakuyo

I was close to killing one and then the other showed up, I was ''nope nope nope''.

Thanks for the responses. I think based on what I've read, Bloodborne might not be the type of game for me.

Try to farm some blood echoes to level up your character before giving up, it might help.

Quick question, I beat Bloodborne once and then started a NG+. If I buy the DLC now will the DLC content be affected by the NG+ difficulty increase or does it start at a base difficulty level?

It will be NG+ difficulty.

Just finished it on NG+. I like the way it got more lovecraftian with what had me pretty much say, "oh shit we're in
innsmouth
" with the last area, which is terrifying on its own.

It seemed a bit too easy for me though. Only died 2-3 times at each boss. I think my mistake was that I played it on NG+ with a character I'd used to clear a ton of chalices and platinum the game, but that meant it was a pretty high level. Won't make that mistake in future games, probably. All the bosses except L
awrence
were great additions though, and even then it was a nice twist on the boss it was based off.

It was NG+ difficulty

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Those monsters have some nasty moves :p

darksouls2yhob0.gif

Edit: Dat Dark Souls 2 like hitbox.
That A-team. Blessed Miyazaki.
/s

Here's another funny one (also note the buggy riposte failing in the stairs, a bug that's been present since friggin' Demon's Souls), sorry for the size:

OoPD68I.gif

I've finally beaten the first two bosses and just when I thought I'd broken the "repeat the same shit over and over again" thing, I'm back to having to repeat the same bits over and over to get to the third boss as I learn the best way to take it down. Does the entire game follow this same loop? Just when I start to enjoy myself, I get dragged back into tedious repetition.
I don't understand what you mean by repetition. You kill a boss, unlock the next area, explore it, loot it, probably unlock a shortcut or two, reach the boss, kill it, proceed to next area(s) (sometimes several paths may be open, the game isn't 100% linear).

What exactly is so repetitive compared to other games?

Beat Ludwig and it was a great really fun boss fight. But I kinda feel like the difficulty was exaggerated. He wasn't really that hard. Took him out on my 4th try with two NPC summons, with one dying a quarter way through the fight but I'd assume it's still a "fair" indicator of difficultly considering his health was raised with each summon. And even then his only really move that killed me previously was his ceiling attack. But I love the design and the music and I actually had fun fighting him and I hope it's the same for the rest of the DLC bosses.

So I'm new to all this(Souls games in general), so I have no idea what insight does. I got a madman's knowledge and used it. Reading online said that it makes the game more difficult? I don't think I need that.
Im also storing all my cold blood dew. Should I not do this?
And I've fortified my cleaver and bought the first(?) set of armor that was available.

I'm sure I can figure most things out on my own, but I don't want to hoard or waste items I shouldn't. Any tips for someone just starting out?

So I'm new to all this(Souls games in general), so I have no idea what insight does. I got a madman's knowledge and used it. Reading online said that it makes the game more difficult? I don't think I need that.
Im also storing all my cold blood dew. Should I not do this?
And I've fortified my cleaver and bought the first(?) set of armor that was available.

I'm sure I can figure most things out on my own, but I don't want to hoard or waste items I shouldn't. Any tips for someone just starting out?
Insight lets you buy stuff in the insight shop, it also reveals more things to you in game depending on how much you have and there's one particular boss fight that either gets easier or harder depending on how much you have.
Coldblood dew IIRC is just something you can break to get more blood echos when you need them, so say you wanna level up and you're a few souls off, just break one. They have carrying levels and give varrying ammounts of souls. There's really no point in storing them as you don't lose them upon death until they've been turned into echosm

Edzi

Beat Ludwig and it was a great really fun boss fight. But I kinda feel like the difficulty was exaggerated. He wasn't really that hard. Took him out on my 4th try with two NPC summons, with one dying a quarter way through the fight but I'd assume it's still a "fair" indicator of difficultly considering his health was raised with each summon. And even then his only really move that killed me previously was his ceiling attack. But I love the design and the music and I actually had fun fighting him and I hope it's the same for the rest of the DLC bosses.

When people say a boss is hard, they mean solo. Summoning help will always make a boss easier, because even though they get more health, their AI sucks at handling multiple opponents. Since they're not focusing on attacking just you, it becomes pretty simple to avoid dying.

When people say a boss is hard, they mean solo. Summoning help will always make a boss easier, because even though they get more health, their AI sucks at handling multiple opponents. Since they're not focusing on attacking just you, it becomes pretty simple to avoid dying.
I've seen people complain about him with summons also, at least when he first came out.

So am I supposed to be able to beat the other hunters I run into initially? I've beat 3 bosses so far and they've been doable. The hunters are another story though.
There's one above the sewers and another one that keeps shooting me with a chain gun. I've tried fighting each one and they totally destroy me. They have really high health.
I got really lucky with the second one because he ended up falling off the roof. I don't know if there's a body to loot down there or if it glitched out, but he's not where he used to be.

So am I supposed to be able to beat the other hunters I run into initially? I've beat 3 bosses so far and they've been doable. The hunters are another story though.
There's one above the sewers and another one that keeps shooting me with a chain gun. I've tried fighting each one and they totally destroy me. They have really high health.
I got really lucky with the second one because he ended up falling off the roof. I don't know if there's a body to loot down there or if it glitched out, but he's not where he used to be.
They're supposed to be tougher than regular mobs but not overly hard IIRC, maybe upgrade your weapon/stats and try again?

The hunters with red eyes have a chance to drop Vermins for the League covenant, Outside of that drop the Old Hunters are high leveled normal enemies that can be easily parried or ignored if you dont want to fight them, like those nasty werewolves

Tommy DJ

Viscerals are your friend when the game starts ramping up in difficulty. With the Blood Rapture rune, it's basically your main source of health regen and damage.

It's not like Metal Gear Rising where Blade Wolf is intentionally a brick wall to force players to start parrying but it's a pretty essential technique to get through the game. A lot of the harder bosses and enemies really get wrecked hard if you can use the gun well.

grimmiq

Completely forgot that I never finished The Old Hunters, picked it up again today for the first time in a month or so. Damn I'm rusty. Struggled with Failure for a little while, then 1shot Maria, she looked badass, but as soon as I picked up on which attacks had a slow startup she was done.

Fuck these fish giants though...The anchor one with his DS2 tracking in particular.

jonjonaug

If you're talking about the guy in Old Yharnam at the end there, save and quit then reload. His items will still be where he was standing before even if you leave and come back.

EDIT: Oh wait this is the DLC thread. If you're talking about the chain gun guy in the DLC area, he's supposed to drop his gun when you kill him. If it isn't where he was before and you've already left and reloaded the area, try the messenger's bath? Weapons that are unlocked are supposed to show up there too.

The hunters with red eyes have a chance to drop Vermins for the League covenant, Outside of that drop the Old Hunters are high leveled normal enemies that can be easily parried or ignored if you dont want to fight them, like those nasty werewolves

They're supposed to be tougher than regular mobs but not overly hard IIRC, maybe upgrade your weapon/stats and try again?

Ok cool. I guess I'll just avoid them for a bit longer. The game is difficult enough for me as it is.
One more question though - what determines whether you can retrieve your echoes after you get killed? Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

jonjonaug

Ok cool. I guess I'll just avoid them for a bit longer. The game is difficult enough for me as it is.
One more question though - what determines whether you can retrieve your echoes after you get killed? Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't.

You always can, but there is a chance that instead of being dropped on the floor where you die, an enemy will pick up your blood echos instead. If this happens, you'll retrieve your blood echos by finding and killing that enemy, who should always be somewhere nearby and will be indicated by having glowing eyes.

xglaurungx88

Neo Member

What difficulty are you playing on? Just curious.

Korosenai

Just beat the first boss in the DLC and noticed that only 12% of players have done it... how is that possible? He's literally only like an hour into it.

Also, where and when can I use the Old Hunters bell?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Don't think I ever parried one of these things. Fails every time and then I die horribly. :(

I stay close and bait a few particular moves. The one on the way to the old lighthouse hut kept massacring me till I accidentally parried it. When I got the timing and went back to the square, I think I ending up doing The Well on my second, maybe third, attempt?

Joei

I got to Abhorrent Beast in Lower Loran... I don't know about this, man. This is the third time I've fought him and you'd think it'd be easier, but my god. I'd like to stay away from cheesing him if I could, but I swear his stamina is maxed out and he takes so much HP per hit.

Now I want to raise
Arcane, Bloodtinge and Beast!

Wish the game had respeccing...

Some of the weapons found later in the game are really cool. The DLC weapons, Blades of Mercy, I love the Beast Claws, and a few other weapons are nice, but stat wise I am not able to really get the most out of them with my current build relative to using Ludwigs... I'm torn between finishing the game and doing NG+ to get a few things I missed, or starting a new character and using a skill/arcane/bloodtinge build with threaded cane as my base weapon.

On a side note, what annoys me about doing a whole new character is that while I can do the main quest pretty easily and am definitely interested in that, I have like 0 interest in doing the chalices again. Thus, I'd miss out on a weapon and some good gems.

I sometimes see people talking about one shot kills, I do not understand.
All my boss fights have been pretty long and exhausting, both maingame and NG+ DLC.
Hell, I even needed 4 or 5 viscerals to take down the chtulu guy guarding Laurence?

I sometimes see people talking about one shot kills, I do not understand.
All my boss fights have been pretty long and exhausting, both maingame and NG+ DLC.
Hell, I even needed 4 or 5 viscerals to take down the chtulu guy guarding Laurence?

I think what some people mean is they killed the boss on their first attempt rather than actually "one shoting"the boss.

Ffs somebody tell Orphan of Mos to calm the fuck down during its second phase.

He's actually not too much different from the first phase, aside from the lightning attack. You just have to react a bit faster and keep moving. It took me a few tries, but eventually I wrecked him.

DL'd this yesterday and I only have one thing to say:

Fuck Laurence.

Died to him more times than every other boss in the main game and DLC combined. Cheap-ass cunt finally went down to an electrified pizza cutter. :p

I haven't fought OoK yet, but I'm pretty sure I've done/killed/found everything else. When I beat OoK will I still be able to explore in case I've missed something?

My boss kills:
Ludwig - 6 or 7 tries.
Living Failures - 1 try.
Maria - 5 tries.
Laurence - 30+ tries. ;____;
Well whales - 3 tries.

silva1991

DL'd this yesterday and I only have one thing to say:

Fuck Laurence.

Died to him more times than every other boss in the main game and DLC combined. Cheap-ass cunt finally went down to an electrified pizza cutter. :p

I haven't fought OoK yet, but I'm pretty sure I've done/killed/found everything else. When I beat OoK will I still be able to explore in case I've missed something?

My boss kills:
Ludwig - 6 or 7 tries.
Living Failures - 1 try.
Maria - 5 tries.
Laurence - 30+ tries. ;____;
Well whales - 3 tries.

Of course you can

Larry has great second half soundtrack tho <3

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
He's actually not too much different from the first phase, aside from the lightning attack. You just have to react a bit faster and keep moving. It took me a few tries, but eventually I wrecked him.

I dunno how you came to that conclusion. He's got a completely different moveset and much longer combos. Plus, he's waaaay more aggressive.

I dunno how you came to that conclusion. He's got a completely different moveset and much longer combos. Plus, he's waaaay more aggressive.

And yet I did pretty much the exact same things I'd been doing during the first phase, only at an accelerated rate. The only exception being the lightning attack, which requires you to get as far away from him as possible, which is why it's best to keep the horizon at your back while fighting him.

Made some good progress today despite not having a lot of time.
Defeated the Bloodstarved Beast, dude on
the turret at the top of the tower fell to his death while I was fighting him.
I was hoping he'd do that because he was kicking my ass lol.

Futureman

Does Bloodborne come with in instruction manual? I'm trying to sell a used copy and I realized there's just an insert advertising the Order inside. Not sure if it should have come with one or not?

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
And yet I did pretty much the exact same things I'd been doing during the first phase, only at an accelerated rate. The only exception being the lightning attack, which requires you to get as far away from him as possible, which is why it's best to keep the horizon at your back while fighting him.

What, like hitting and dodging him...? XD

Forgetting the fact he is much faster and more aggressive, dodging his combos - which reach 5-6 moves each in this phase as opposed to 3 - require different timings, he does way more jump attacks, fires more placenta juice (at different intensities, angles and number), his moves are entirely focused on close range attacks as opposed to the ranged attacks in the first phase.... etc.

I'm not calling you out, I'm just baffled how you could do that; he changes up nearly everything he does.

Top Bottom